Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Aimlessly Down Under - From 54 to 53 sec 400m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Will probably get slated for this but I have decided to postpone my session until tomorrow night. The reason? Well, I am currently staying in a hostel until I build up enough funds for me to get my own place in Melbourne. Every tuesday night there is a free dinner at 6pm (usually pasta), but this week it is American themed with hot dogs. I'm not exactly loaded at the moment after all my travelling and farm work so you gotta take all the freebies you can get :) (I'm sure some people can empathise) It is now 7.20pm, and I have only just finished my meal, and am absolutely stuffed. Will be ages before all this digests, so I'll just do my planned session tomorrow evening, albeit at a slightly lesser effort level, due to having a race the following day.

Racing plan from now until Christmas:

AV Shield Round 8 - Thursday 8th December - 100m, 400m
    AV Shield Round 9 - Saturday 17th December - 200m, and (800m if I have enough energy after the 200m)
    Vic Milers Round 2 - Tuesday 20th December - 800m

The AV Shield is the main competition for grassroots athletics here but there are additional events that are more along the line of the graded meets in Dublin (i.e. high standard). There is the High Velocity Club (100,200,400, Hurdles), Vic Milers (800,1500/Mile,3000), Rare Air Club (High Jump, Pole Vault), and AV Throwers (all the throws). All these seperate organisations have 5 meets per year.

The High Velocity Club would obviously be my events but the standard is too high for me so I won't bother doing those races until later in the season when I am running out of opportunities to knock out a PB 400m.

The Vic Milers has an 800m most weeks and from looking at the results of Round 1, I would have been in contention for victory in the slowest heat, but nowhere in the rest, so will give the 800m a good bash on December 20th.

So hoping for a bunch of PB's over the coming 2 weeks. :)

Updated PB"s:

100m - 13.4
    200m - 27.6
    400m - 60.90
    800m - 2:27.9

3x300m reps with 4 minute walk back break this evening. No heroics tonight with the big race tomorrow so ran them at 75%. Times were:

62(low) - 61(mid) - 57(high)

Have no idea how I ran 57 as I didnt put any extra effort into the last rep, so am wondering whether I started that last rep at the wrong point on the Tan. Doesnt matter in any case. The only times that matter are the ones tomorrow.

Also it seems that I may have measured these 300 metres a bit too long, and that I may have been running 315m. Again doesnt really matter anyway.

Very excited about racing in the brand new Lakeside Stadium tomorrow evening. Many great athletes like Sally Pearson, Craig Mottram and David Rudisha will be competing on that very track over the coming months. Hopefully the occasion will help me to get that bit extra out of myself and that I can dip under 60 seconds.

About to head to Lakeside Stadium for tonight's meet. Seriously pumped up for this one. The nerves and adrenaline have been going all day. Not every day you get to compete under floodlights (I assume) in a stadium that hosts an IAAF World Challenge Series event.

I feel like tonight I am going to put in some good performances. Fingers crossed it goes well.

‎60.1 seconds for 400m hand timed this evening at Lakeside Stadium. Will probably be about 60.3 or 60.4 when the official electronic times come through. In any case it's a PB by over half a second :-) Delighted, though a tinge of disappointment I didnt go sub 60, but plenty more opportunities after Christmas. I stuttered a tiny bit in the last 25m, but I doubt it cost me too much time. Race wasn't til 10.15pm which is tough for a non-elite athlete who has been up since 7am for work.

Before the 400m, I had a very average 13.86 for the 100m, and a horrific 4.06m long jump, but don't care about those results now.\

Race report to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

04072511 wrote: »
    ‎60.1 seconds for 400m hand timed this evening at Lakeside Stadium. Will probably be about 60.3 or 60.4 when the official electronic times come through. In any case it's a PB by over half a second :-) Delighted, though a tinge of disappointment I didnt go sub 60, but plenty more opportunities after Christmas. I stuttered a tiny bit in the last 25m, but I doubt it cost me too much time. Race wasn't til 10.15pm which is tough for a non-elite athlete who has been up since 7am for work.

Before the 400m, I had a very average 13.86 for the 100m, and a horrific 4.06m long jump, but don't care about those results now.\

Race report to follow.

You need to post different reports on facebook to those you post here. Give your dual readers some new material :p

Well done by the way, great running. Must have been class to run that late in a stadium.

• Advertisement

You need to post different reports on facebook to those you post here. Give your dual readers some new material :p

Well done by the way, great running. Must have been class to run that late in a stadium.

Haha, well I stuck in an extra sentence or two in my boards update. Some bonus material for athletics fans :)

Thanks, am delighted with it. Dying to see the electronic timing. The track was awesome. Blue, just like at the World Champs, and real spongy. Had never ran on a track like that before. Before my 100, I thought to myself, "Sally Pearson will probably be running in this very lane some time soon".

Official result just in at 60.35 seconds. A PB by 0.55 seconds :D

Race report to come later, once I get a chance to write back last night's meet, but I did a quick count of the results and for 400m I finished 69th out of 108 men, and finished 74th overall out of 181.

Fastest of the men was 49.72
    Fastest of the women was 55.02

Some seriously fast runners out here week in week out.

Round 8. The one track meet on the AV Shield calender that I was looking forward to the most. The brand new at the spanking new Lakeside Stadium at Albert Park was the setting. I was fired up for this one all day and was ready to put in some good performances.

As soon as I got to the ground and walked on the track it felt special. The track was blue, just like what you see on TV these days, the surface had a spongy feel that is lacking at the other tracks. Overall the facilities are excellent, with a small warm up track area out the back, which was very ideal for warming up for my 400m race, when the womens 400m was going on (preventing me from doing a warm up on the back straight. The weather was warm and sunny. Things looked great.

100m

I went in heat 22 of this :eek: An astonishing amount of people entered this event. My heat was very even with no sub 12 second outliers to make a mockery out of the race. I didn't get out of the blocks as well as I could, and was always playing catch up. Lost a bit of ground on the leaders over the first 60m, but finished very strong and was catching all those in front of me. But when I saw the winning time of 13.35 I was disappointed as I knew I'd be high 13's, and the official results confirmed this. 6th place (of 8) in 13.86. Very disappointing, and only confirms what a joke my hand times of 13.4 this season are. Without electronic timing a 100m, and to a lesser extent a 200m time, means very little.

As an event, the 100m is one I struggle with. The event is so short that I cant get into my stride. The general rule for me is that the longer the event, the poorer my times are. But this downward spiral clearly only starts after the 400m, as my shorter sprint times simply do not compare to what I am running over the quarter mile.

Long Jump

Was only on the day that I decided to enter tgis. Decided to make the most of a rare appearance on this track. My performance was brutal though. My first 2 attempts were below 4 metres, with my final attempt being just 4.06m, well down on my season's best of 4.25m, and way way down on those distances I was jumping in Belfield when just having the laugh last year!

400m

After my long jump I had a painfully long wait for my 400m. There was still men's 1500m going on. Then the womens relay. Then the men's relay. THEN the women's 400m. It was very difficult to stay focused, and ready, for a race that in the end didnt start until 10.15pm. I know elite athletes have run at this time of the day before, but seriously, those guys get to sleep during the day, and have a million people looking after them. I was up from 7am for work, and it was becoming a battle to try keep the negative thoughts of getting tired and wanting my bed, out of my mind.

Eventually it was time for the men's 400m, but they made a hames of the heats and my heat ended up being very lobsided, with 53 second runners, and 70+ second runners. I was drawn in lane 5, which was ideal. Even better there was a guy in lane 6 that was aiming for 65, so I knew I could pace off him to get an idea of how I am going. My plan was to be going past him with 200m to go.

I got out well from the blocks. Ran hard, and then settled. Cruised at 90% effort level from 100m to 200m, and as soon as I hit the 200m to go mark, I went past the lad in lane 6, right on cue. It was all just full out at this stage. Nothing was to be left on the track. Pushing as hard as I could possibly push. The guy in lane 7 said to me beforehand that he expects to be running 57, and to be fair, he wasnt a massive amount ahead of me. I could see him in my sights, so I just tried to maintain the gap between myself and him. The clock stopped at 53.8ish seconds, by the winner. I had about 40-45 metres to go so I knew I was going to be close to 60. I pushed so incredibly hard but it was hurting and in the last 25m I stuttered ever so slightly. I'm not sure if it cost me too much, but it was a product of how tired I was. I crossed the line, no idea where I finished in my race, and was given by a club mate a rough hand time of 60.1 seconds. The electronic time confirmed that I had set a new PB of 60.35 seconds. Over the moon with the run. I wanted sub 60, but that is not an easy target at all. It will come. Just not yet.

I was shattered after the race. Almost felt dizzy at one point. I didn't leave anything on the track.

So the next meet is Sat 17th, where the 200m will be my main event, but for now I am going to take things very easy the next few days. My body is sore. Bloody hell 400m is a tough tough event, and takes a hell of a lot out of you.

First session since the highs of Thursday night. Just a very light session. 4x135m (approx), with 2 mins break, going at about 60% on a gravel footpath. Times were irrelevant. Between 25 and 27 seconds. My body was in bits today, but the last 2 reps certainly felt easier than the first 2.

The Vic Milers meet on Tuesday 20th December is frustratingly not an 800m, but rather a 1000m. Have no great interest in doing an event like that, that I won't get opportunities to better, so next Saturday will be my last track meet of 2011, before the Christmas break.

• Advertisement

Inspired by Fionnuala's brilliant run yesterday I went for a 5x100m hill session on a very steep hill. The first 75 metres were steep but the last 25m levelled off. Took a 2 minute break between each rep. Times were:

23(low) - 22(high) - 22(high) - 23(mid) - 22(mid)

Tough session. Went all out. I may be a freak but I actually quite enjoy the hill sessions.

Yesterday I spent a few hours with Rob and Marian Heffernan and a few others, who are training in Australia during the Irish winter (good decision). The men's 50k Walk Australian Champs were on yesterday in Melbourne and Jamie Costin was looking for the qualification standard for the Olympics, and Rob was using the race as a training session, and paced Jamie until half way. Unfortunately things didn't work out for Jamie and he dropped out. Extremely nice people and an awful lot of craic. Invited me in for lunch after the race. Rob in particular is a complete banterhound. Fingers crossed he'll do the business in London next year. I have a good feeling about the 50k.

Also got a sneaky photo with Jana Pittman, who was watching the race.

4x200m on the Tan this evening, with 3 minutes rest. Times were:

36(low) - 36(low) - 35(high) - 35(high)

Going at about 90%.

You see a fair few Aussie Rules players around the Tan doing winter training. A lot of them are such kn0bs! Really representative of the macho culture down here.

GET IN!!! The sub 60 second 400m has been achieved!! :-) Ran the lead off leg of the 4x400m relay and the watch was stopped 5 metres early at 58.5 (he stopped the watch at the wrong point and only afterwards realised he got it wrong), so my time would be no slower than 59.3, and even allowing for electronic timing it would still be easily under 60 :-) Frustrating not to have an official time, as it was a relay, but it certainly felt like a 59 second run. Goals modified for the new year. Sub 59 the next target. Also ran 27.5 for 200m today, PB by 0.1 seconds, but got a rubbish start, and ran into a horrific headwind. Should be running a second faster than that, but cant get the speed going over 100m and 200m. A nice PB of 9.28m in the triple jump rounded out a good day. Time for a beer!

Race report to follow.

The last meet before Christmas didn't turn out as planned, but in a good way. The plan was to do the 200m, 800m and Triple Jump. The night before I went out with some friends for some Christmas beers. My plan was to drink very little and be home by 10pm. I did the first part of the bargain, having around 2 and a half pints all night, but I got talking to some nice people and before I knew it it was 1.30am, I had missed the last tram, and had to walk for miles to get a taxi. Melbourne is a great city, but for getting taxis it must rank as one of the worst cities in the world. It is virtually impossible to get one on a friday or saturday night, and the muppets leave their lights on even when the cab is taken, giving false hope. Eventually got home at around 3ish.

Woke up the next day feeling ok. No real hangover. Downed a ridiculous amount of water and got to the track ready to go. However despite all the water consumption I still felt extremely dehydrated. Why? Not the alcohol the night before, but rather the ridiculous temperatures of 33 degrees mixed with disgusting levels of humidity. I knew at this moment that the 800m was more than likely not going to happen.

200m:

Got off to probably my worst start of the year. My mind wandered and I was left in the blocks. It wouldn't have cost me more than 0.1 or 0.2 of a second, but it was chasing from then on. The track at Ringwood has a very long bend, and short straight, which I was glad of, as when I got into the homestraight for the final 75m or so, I was greeted by a horrible headwind. Probably the strongest I have ran into. I closed slightly in the closing stages on one of the guys in front of me but not by nearly enough at finished 4th out of 6, 1.2 seconds down on 3rd place, in a time of 27.5 seconds, hand timed, a PB by 0.1 seconds. I wasn't happy with the time afterwards. I should be running in the mid 26's, considering what I am running over 400m. But my start was poorm the headwind was strong, and my training has been more focused on sprint endurance so I shouldn't be too disheartened. I'm sure there's a sub 27 to come. Just frustrating getting all these headwinds!!

Triple Jump:

With just 15 minutes until the 800m, and with such horrible conditions, I decided to skip the event, and it ended up being a great decision as it saved energy for the triple jump (and the relay). My first attempt was 8.80m, 17cm down on my PB. The next attempt felt good, and over 9 metres. However I broke the board by about 5 cm, so no joy. The last attempt I nailed a 9.28m, a PB by 31cm. Not bad considering I don't train for the event, and it is only the 3rd time I have competed in it.

4X400m Relay:

I'm usually the David Gillick of Richmond and dont do relays (a joke :)), as we are always last in them so it is just a case of jogging around to make sure the team picks up points, so anybody could do that, so I tend to save myself for my individual events. However with no 800m in my legs I felt very fresh and volunteered to run, and asked could I lead off. I was the fastest 400m runner available so it was no problem for me to go first. It was only then I decided to ask my coach to time my leg of the relay. As it was a standing start, and I would be beginning my leg at the same time as the other teams, I could treat it as a normal 400m race, with the exception of the extra staggers that go with a relay race. If I was running the 2nd, 3rd or 4th legs, I would be miles behind before I got the batton and there would be no incentive to run fast, and even if I did, I could not claim whatever time I got, due to a flying start.

I had a bad feeling I would be washed out as there were 51 second runners in my race, but thankfully the guy 2 lanes outside me was a 59 second runner so that made me feel better. I think there were 5 teams in the race, not certain though. I was in lane 5. The gun went off and I flew out of the blocks. A great start. The extra long stagger was eaten up on me by the lad in lane 4 pretty quickly. I didnt know what his PB was so I didnt pay much attention. I felt very good on the back straight and was flying. When I hit the start of the final bend I kicked. However as the bend is longer in Ringwood, this meant I started pushing all out probably 15-20 metres before I usually do. It didnt do me any harm, and with about 70-80m to go, I overtook the 59 second runner 2 lanes outside of me, which given the big stagger he had on me was a great sign. What's more, the guy in lane 4 who had flown past me early on was now being reeled in. While I didnt quite get ahead of him, I was only a metre behind him (though I did have that extra stagger). I pushed as hard as I could past the finish line as there was still a bit to go before I had to hand over the batton. Obviously I slowed slightly to make sure the exchange went ok, but not massively.

I was absolutely dead afterwards. My feet were burning from about 200m to go. It was a tough run, but felt very fast. I knew it had to be sub 60 seconds. My coach then showed me the time which was 58.5 seconds. I was obviously delighted but thought that seemed a bit fast. He said that he will double check the point where he stopped the clock. A few minutes later he came back to me and said that he stopped the clock 12 metres after the finish line, while the difference in lane 5 between the 400m and 400m relay starts was 17m, so he was 5 metres short when he stopped the clock. He said that my time for the full 400m would be no slower than 59.3 seconds. I did numerous calculations and analysis of my finish point on the track before I was 100% happy that I had run my first sub 60 second 400m. :) Even allowing for 0.2-0.3 seconds for hand timing, I would still be comfortably under 60 by half a second. It is annoying not to have an official time, but I think I am entitled to claim the PB.

So that is it now until after Christmas. I am gunning to get training over the Christmas, to come back in the new year faster and stronger. The next AV meet is on the day of the middle saturday of the Australian Open which is a massive day out down here. It's a tough choice to make, so to compromise I am going to run the Victorian Country Club Championships in Bendigo the week before. That way I get a January 400m race, and I get to go to the tennis then the next weekend :)

So a summary of my performances this season to date:

h denoted hand timed

100m:

Decathlon - 13.4h
    AV Meet 2 - 14.35
    AV Meet 6 - 13.4h
    AV Meet 8 - 13.86

200m

AV Meet 1 - 27.6h
    AV Meet 9 - 27.5h

400m

Decathlon - 61.8h
    AV Meet 2 - 60.90
    AV Meet 8 - 60.35
    AV Meet 9 - 59.3h (Relay lead off leg)

800m

AV Meet 1 - 2:31.1h
    AV Meet 7 - 2:27.9h

1500m

AV Meet 6 - 5:42.0h (at around 80%, 90% on last lap)

Long Jump:

Decathlon - 4.24m
    AV Meet 2 - 4.25m
    AV Meet 8 - 4.08m

Triple Jump:

AV Meet 1 - 8.97m
    AV Meet 9 - 9.28m

After Saturday's unofficial sub 60 clocking, I took yesterday off, and went for an easy session this evening to get back into it. Did 4x200m on the Tan at around 75%. Pretty easy going and times were:

38(low) - 39(mid) - 38(high) - 39(high)

Shins havent been bothering me the last few weeks but felt rough today that's for sure. 4 meets in 4 weeks is tough going and I think the body is feeling a little tired, so an easy workout today was ideal.

Inspired by Fionnuala's brilliant run yesterday I went for a 5x100m hill session on a very steep hill. The first 75 metres were steep but the last 25m levelled off. Took a 2 minute break between each rep. Times were:

23(low) - 22(high) - 22(high) - 23(mid) - 22(mid)

Tough session. Went all out. I may be a freak but I actually quite enjoy the hill sessions.

Did this same session tonite, but not quite all out. Times were not as quick as above:

23(high) - 24(mid) - 24(low) - 24(low) - 24(high)

I'd had a few beers earlier in the day for a work Christmas lunch, and although they were out of my system by the time I ran, I was feeling a bit tired. Good to get the session in anyway. Day off tomorrow.

3x300m session on the Tan yesterday evening, 4 minute breaks. Messed up the timing of the first rep. The times of the other 2 were:

54(low) – 55(High)

Going at about 90%

With a PB of 60.35, and based on a relay run last week, being in the form to run comfortably under 60 seconds, I cant help but notice that my 100 and 200 times don't match up to my 400. So want to try do a bit more speed work. Did some research on plyometrics, but it looks like something that you really need to know what you are doing, or you could get very injured. I'm very hesitant to try any of that stuff as 1) I've been injury free for a good while now and dont want to risk messing that up and 2) I really wouldn't know how to do the exercises properly.

Instead I decided to do some flying 30's today. It as far from perfect, given the fact I did it on a paved flat path, in road running shoes, and having to time myself (with a stop watch in my hand). It's the type of thing that probably needs to be done on a track, with spikes, but getting to the track is a massive trek, and I was tight for time today.

I did 6 or 7 reps (lost count) with around 1 minute 15 secs between each. I had a 30-35 metre leadup to where I would start the watch to begin my 30 metres. Each of my flying 30's were just slightly over 4 seconds (usually under 4.1 seconds). Obviously on a track, with spikes, I'd go a bit faster, but was happy to try this session out today. Hopefully I will get some benefits out of it. I think my current endurance based training could be good enough to get me down into the high 57's, low 58's, but if I want to go faster then I need more top end speed.

I'm a complete amateur with this, so if anybody has advice on how I can do this exercise more efficiently please let me know. Also, if anybody has any advice on some good low impact, low risk plyometric exercises post it here also.

Christmas Eve in Melbourne, and not a cloud in the sky, and 32 degrees. Ridiculous!

Merry Christmas all.

5x100m Hill session today, with 2 mins break, going at about 95%. Happy with today's times:

23(low) - 23(low) - 22(high) - 22(high) - 23(high)

I keep my bottle of water at the top of the hill, so I can hydrate myself after each rep. After the 3rd rep I notice that a bunch of bogan kids have run off with it! Absolute scumbags! Who does that?!

4x200m on the Tan this evening, with 3 minutes rest. Times were:

36(low) - 36(low) - 35(high) - 35(high)

Going at about 90%.

Did this exact session this afternoon, probably at about 90%. Felt good today:

35 (high) - 35(high) - 35(mid) - 35(high)

Day off tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Last session of 2011. Temperatures were unbearable today. 35 degrees with the city feeling like an oven (getting up to 41 on monday), so waited until 7pm to do my session. Had the entire Tan to myself pretty much due to everyone being occupied by the New Years nonsense in the city. Did 3x300 with 4 minute breaks, at about 90%. It felt reasonably easy which was encouraging, and given this, I was delighted with the times:

54(mid) - 55(low) - 54(high)

Some fairly woeful fireworks in Melbourne tonight for New Years. The most overrated night of the year. In any case, Happy 2012 to all.

With a PB of 60.35, and based on a relay run last week, being in the form to run comfortably under 60 seconds, I cant help but notice that my 100 and 200 times don't match up to my 400. So want to try do a bit more speed work. Did some research on plyometrics, but it looks like something that you really need to know what you are doing, or you could get very injured. I'm very hesitant to try any of that stuff as 1) I've been injury free for a good while now and dont want to risk messing that up and 2) I really wouldn't know how to do the exercises properly.

Instead I decided to do some flying 30's today. It as far from perfect, given the fact I did it on a paved flat path, in road running shoes, and having to time myself (with a stop watch in my hand). It's the type of thing that probably needs to be done on a track, with spikes, but getting to the track is a massive trek, and I was tight for time today.

I did 6 or 7 reps (lost count) with around 1 minute 15 secs between each. I had a 30-35 metre leadup to where I would start the watch to begin my 30 metres. Each of my flying 30's were just slightly over 4 seconds (usually under 4.1 seconds). Obviously on a track, with spikes, I'd go a bit faster, but was happy to try this session out today. Hopefully I will get some benefits out of it. I think my current endurance based training could be good enough to get me down into the high 57's, low 58's, but if I want to go faster then I need more top end speed.

I'm a complete amateur with this, so if anybody has advice on how I can do this exercise more efficiently please let me know. Also, if anybody has any advice on some good low impact, low risk plyometric exercises post it here also.

Christmas Eve in Melbourne, and not a cloud in the sky, and 32 degrees. Ridiculous!

Merry Christmas all.

Did another of these flying 30 sessions, in the exact same location. 6 reps, all around the same time as last time. Very low 4's. Weather was hot again today. 35 degrees. Unbearable, so waited til 8.30pm to train. Still very warm at that time, and the air quality is not great at the moment as a result. Difficult to breath properly.

This week has been a bit chaotic with the week that was in it, but glad to still eventually get the 4 sessions in this week. That's 2 solid weeks of training now since my unofficial sub 60, so things are going along nicely.

Day off tomorrow. It's 41 celcius in Melbourne tomorrow. Only idiots train in those temperatures!

4x200m on The Tan at around 90% yesterday with 3 minute breaks. Made a balls of the measurements so I ended up running about 7m more than I usually do. Times were:

35(high) - 36(mid) - 36(low) - 36(low)

5x100m Hill session today, with 2 mins break, going at about 95%. Happy with today's times:

23(low) - 23(low) - 22(high) - 22(high) - 23(high)

Did this session again today. Times were a bit slower:

23(high) - 23(mid) - 23(high) - 23(high) - 23(high)

It was a bit blustery out so hoping that is the reason for the slightly slower times.

The crazy 35-40 degree weather has passed for now thankfully!

Last session of 2011. Temperatures were unbearable today. 35 degrees with the city feeling like an oven (getting up to 41 on monday), so waited until 7pm to do my session. Had the entire Tan to myself pretty much due to everyone being occupied by the New Years nonsense in the city. Did 3x300 with 4 minute breaks, at about 90%. It felt reasonably easy which was encouraging, and given this, I was delighted with the times:

54(mid) - 55(low) - 54(high)

Same session as above. Times slightly slower:

54(high) - 55(low) - 55(low)

Was humid out there today.

Flying 30 session today by the Yarra river. Did 8 of them, with a little over a minute break between each. Times were a bit slower this time. Around 4.3's rather than 4.1's. Fastest was 4.05.

Hard to get accurate timing though over such a short distance, especially when timing it myself.

5x100m Hill by the Tan this evening with 2 minute breaks. Ground was wet which was probably the reason for the slower than normal times. Did them at around 95% and am happy that the times got faster as the session went on at least:

25(low) - 24(mid) - 24(mid) - 24(mid) - 24(low)

One easy 3x300m session tomorrow evening and then off to Bendigo friday night where I will take part in the heats of the Men's 400m on Saturday morning at the Victorian Country Athletics Championships.

3x300m on the Tan this evening with 4 mins break. Nice and easy at 80%. No need for heroics with the Victorian Country Championships on Saturday morning. Times were:

58(mid) - 58(high) - 57(low)

Was running into a bit of a wind.

Very pumped up for this race on Saturday morning. It's basically the Victorian Championships for regional (non Melbourne) clubs, but Melbourne clubs are invited to compete but only a maximum of 4 melbourne athletes can make a sprint final etc, and if a Melbourne athlete wins gold, whoever is the highest placed regional athlete becomes country champion. I guess by inviting Melbourne athletes it boosts the participation and the publicity. Heading up to Bendigo tomorrow evening after work, and heading back Saturday afternoon. The final is on Saturday evening, but am in no way expecting to get through the heats so will be on the train back by the time the final takes place. Last year 52 was required to make the final, but there were a fair few 54, 56, 58 second athletes competing which is what I am hoping for this weekend. There's 17 of us entered and most athletes are very much keeping their cards close to their chest and havent listed their season's best when entering.

Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Looking through your log over the last while I can't help but notice something the percentages you are working at I think you may be working a little on the easier side

your 80% for example what is this 80% of? Like 58s even with wind is 76 sec 400 pace roughly for 80% i think you should be down about 72 sec pace meaning 54/55 sec for these three hundreds maybe add a second or so for wind and being on the tan as opposed to track

It just an observation i have noticed over the last while. I know you are hitting pbs and its great to see but i think you are addressing the sprint training with more distance mentality in terms of training efforts and think you can get down closer to the 56-57 mark for the 400.

Again people with a more sprint background might have better insight i am just given general observations and opinions

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Looking through your log over the last while I can't help but notice something the percentages you are working at I think you may be working a little on the easier side

your 80% for example what is this 80% of? Like 58s even with wind is 76 sec 400 pace roughly for 80% i think you should be down about 72 sec pace meaning 54/55 sec for these three hundreds maybe add a second or so for wind and being on the tan as opposed to track

It just an observation i have noticed over the last while. I know you are hitting pbs and its great to see but i think you are addressing the sprint training with more distance mentality in terms of training efforts and think you can get down closer to the 56-57 mark for the 400.

Again people with a more sprint background might have better insight i am just given general observations and opinions

To be honest the times are only really a guideline and can only be compared with times on the exact same course run previously:

1) The Tan is not ideal for sprinting, with it's gravelly surface, the fact that I use road running shoes on it, and the fact that sometimes you have to run around joggers.

2) The distances are not 100% accurate and I think I am airing on the side of caution by measuring a bit over 200, 300 etc. For example my 300m is probably around 308m but it doesnt really matter in the end of the day.

One could argue that I should be running more sessions on the track and perhaps that is true but I've been going well lately and if it aint broke dont fix it and all that. I've been injury free awhile now and dont want to mess things up by changing my approach and using spikes 4 times a week. It's also a pain in the balls getting to a track, especially when the Tan is right beside me.

I suppose the best way of looking at the 58,58,57 runs today is by comparing it to a similar session, the day before my 60.35 second PB in December. Back then for similar effort levels I was running them in around 61,61,58 IIRC. The times I do in training look rubbish to the naked eye, but I know myself how good/bad a session is based on knowing the route I run well. I suppose in the end of the day the only times that really matter are in competition. The times on the Tan are merely for tracking progress and cant be compared to times set on a track.

Advertisement