Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options
  • 22-08-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so a number of us are picking these up. Here's what i have learnt so far.

Install WebOSQuickInstall from this guide
    Then also install preware as per the guide.
    The Kindle beta ipk is here in this thread and can be installed from preware.
    The best media player seems to be this free beta in that post by the dev. PC Streaming software also available here, not tried it yet

Preware is much like cydia for iOS

Pls add useful titbits as and when you find them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Can confirm the media streaming from PC seems to work flawlessly, very similar to AirVideo on iOS if not quite as polished in the UI dept. I only tested SD Avis, but quality was excellent and scanning back and forward didn't desync audio which is usually the main issue with this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oliver29

Hey.

Haven't tried the latest version currently in beta but got the paid version ... wud have gotten the beta if i'd seen it : ) and it's pretty good.

From my experience if you're using the RTE Player ( full screen flash so heavy on the processor ) rather than pinching to zoom just go full screen or watch in the default size and it works a treat.

Been running on the 'Uberkernel' for a while ( use it on my phone too ) and it's been very stable.

There's a patch to muffle system logging and one to unthrottle download manager availabe through preware, both help you get that little bit more out of your tp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

thanks for the tips so far, I've installed the Kindle Beta App but it wont let me load my existing .mobi books, any ideas how I can do this ?

Check out pReaer Native Alpha pretty sure it does this format

Sorry - Called pReader on the tablet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

pReader won't load some of my files, and it looks like the Kindle IPK file is gone from that thread, is there any chance someone could email on the Kindle ipk to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anyone figure out what the little slot is for?

Owen wrote: »
    Anyone figure out what the little slot is for?

Its for nothing, if they had made the 3G version that's where your microsim would have gone, all it does on these wifi yolks is tell you your Serial Number.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

cant seem to find the kindle ipk anywhere can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

If you are looking for a nice RSS reader for your new touchpad, try mosaic: http://www.mosaicreader.com/ - its in the app store, looks good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Found the following online last night.
    hold the tablet in landscape with the camera hole to the right.
    Minimize the app you have open and rather than flicking it upwards to close it. Pull it downwards and release.

It gives a sound effect which may be familiar to some of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Anyone tried to install this PreWare app to get various tweaks etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

anyone know of any free apps/media players that can play .avi's ?

Inquitus wrote: »
    O
    The best media player seems to be this free beta in that post by the dev.
    Ruby_Woo wrote: »
    anyone know of any free apps/media players that can play .avi's ?

^^

Did anyone buy the touchstone? Is it worth it??

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Hi mate,
    Any chance you can help me get the kindle app onto my touchpad? I followed the link u had in your post, installed preware but can't find the kindle app
    Cheers

Jamm

Inquitus wrote: »
    Ok so a number of us are picking these up. Here's what i have learnt so far.

Install WebOSQuickInstall from this guide
    Then also install preware as per the guide.
    The Kindle beta ipk is here in this thread and can be installed from preware.
    The best media player seems to be this free beta in that post by the dev. PC Streaming software also available here, not tried it yet

Preware is much like cydia for iOS

Pls add useful titbits as and when you find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Davie89 wrote: »
    Did anyone buy the touchstone? Is it worth it??

Watching for its price to drop on Amazon, 55 stg at the mo

will be good for speaker use, charging and obviously to take the weight off your hands!

Fiskar wrote: »
    Watching for its price to drop on Amazon, 55 stg at the mo

will be good for speaker use, charging and obviously to take the weight off your hands!

39 euro in PCworld!

installed preware and went through all the recommended patches to fully disable the touchpad background logging! Have noticed its much snappy-ier! Its worth a look and you dont need to be any bit tech savy:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭podge3

Will the iPad Bluetooth keyboard cases work with the Thinkpad?

Both are pretty much the same size but will the keyboard work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I've figured out screen grabs (tap home and power) but when in the browser or gallery app can't find any way to upload images, has anyone discovered how?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

The Touchpad that was said to have shipped running Android is now on Ebay,
    Pl note that the winner of this sale can use this to apply for the $1500 bounty this touchpad will be eligible for (last link) :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchPad-32GB-running-Android-/230664585087?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item35b4ae3f7f

Yeah, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

The Touchpad that was said to have shipped running Android is now on Ebay,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchPad-32GB-running-Android-/230664585087?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item35b4ae3f7f

Yeah, right.

It violates ebays chance listings policy so i doubt it'll be up for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Everytime I got to the app store on the touchpad it says "This action could not be completed. Please try again later".

Any ideas?

Also is there a thread for general touchpad discussion or is this it?

It seems the Android Touchpad was legit, system dump has been made vailable -

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3692

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Soarer

Quick silly question.
    Is there any difference in setting the English on Startup to Ireland/UK/USA? Are they liable to release stuff just for the USA and if your unit is IRE registered you miss out?

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Quick silly question.
    Is there any difference in setting the English on Startup to Ireland/UK/USA? Are they liable to release stuff just for the USA and if your unit is IRE registered you miss out?

Good question, worth a try I suppose. I wiped mine last night and it automatically re-installed tmy apps and settings etc. If you do that and look for Kindle you'll know.

Advertisement