Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

cianr wrote: »
    Do you just select purchase to get these and then at some stage enter the codes? Its prompting me to set up a credit card.

you
    have to set up payment first with the credit card, then you say you want to purchase the app and you get different options, pay with promo code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

noclee wrote: »
    I use the touchpad for following:-
    Touchplayer (plays everything I though at it under 3Gig) Kalemsoft player plays over 3g files 720p.
    Mount samba shares from my nas server movie database
    clocked at 1.5g
    Plays all flash www

Anyone tried the vpn, currently seems to be Cisco proprietary. Looking for ipsec standard vpn.

Anyone else tried this? I'm tempted but not too sure if the touchpad will get too hot. I've read the the CPU has been used in other devices with a clock speed of 1.5 with no issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

noclee wrote: »
    I use the touchpad for following:-
    Touchplayer (plays everything I though at it under 3Gig) Kalemsoft player plays over 3g files 720p.
    Mount samba shares from my nas server movie database
    clocked at 1.5g
    Plays all flash www

Anyone tried the vpn, currently seems to be Cisco proprietary. Looking for ipsec standard vpn.

Anyone else tried this? I'm tempted but not too sure if the touchpad will get too hot. I've read the the CPU has been used in other devices with a clock speed of 1.5 with no issues...
    It's designed to run at 1.5. HP underclocked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I have mine running the F4C kernel at 1.8 GHz. Afaik, the increased power use (and subsequent heat) is negligible, while the performance jump is quite noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Have the uberkernal installed running with Govnah. After installing most of the of the other patches and what not, the performance was noticably improved and when I pumped the clock upto 1.5ghz I didn't notice any huge difference in performance. What I did notice though, was that it goes through battery a lot quicker. I'd say you'd notice if you have a ton of apps open, are watching HD or some such. For web surfing, listening to music, normal day to day, I don't think there's any real need so I went and underclocked it to 1ghz to see how it goes. So far just about everything is fine, .avi plays fine on Kalemsoft media player, it only seems slightly more sluggish when opening apps or on card animations but it's still better than when I took it out of the box. I haven't noticed it get hot in any alarming way.

By putting brightness down, airplane mode at night or when traveling, I've managed to get about two days on battery and I wasted the last 10% watching .avi videos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ya, I went with uberkernel and govna but the profile name appears as OnDemandTcl 1512? Don't know if that makes a whole pile of difference...the clock speed fluctuates between 1.5 and 0.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Has anyone managed to set up black VPN on the hptp?
    I installed the pptp VPN add-on from the app catalogue, and am trying to connect with pptp but it keeps hanging.
    I did leave the "domain" field blank as I had no info for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Tried in the megathread but nobody knew,

Anyone know if installing preware voids your warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Davie89 wrote: »
    Tried in the megathread but nobody knew,

Anyone know if installing preware voids your warranty?

You got the answers on there too. WebOS Doctor does a full factory reset, so I doubt it.

You got the answers on there too. WebOS Doctor does a full factory reset, so I doubt it.

didnt really get an answer, i got an "I dont think so"! Wondering if someone knows a solid yes or no!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

how long does it take to install preware . my has been installing for about 2 hours now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

WIZE wrote: »
    how long does it take to install preware . my has been installing for about 2 hours now
    Takes about 30 seconds. Make sure the touchpad is NOT in USB mode, make sure you can still control the touchpad like normal when the usb is connected.

should only take a minute, if even! Something is amuck :-O

Mine hung too, I just knocked it off & restarted it, preware was installed a-ok.

Anyone else have this problem: Say when I open the browser and load up like boards.ie or bbc.co.uk, it shows me what was on the page the last time I loaded the page, be it an hour ago or more for example. Then when I reload the page, it shows me the up to date version of the page, for if I loaded it on my laptop like normal. Do you get what I mean? Its doing my head in.

Tinie wrote: »
    Anyone else have this problem: Say when I open the browser and load up like boards.ie or bbc.co.uk, it shows me what was on the page the last time I loaded the page, be it an hour ago or more for example. Then when I reload the page, it shows me the up to date version of the page, for if I loaded it on my laptop like normal. Do you get what I mean? Its doing my head in.

Yeah, its a pain. Somewhat ironic too, they should have built them with an F5 button.

Yeah, its a pain. Somewhat ironic too, they should have built them with an F5 button.
    Oh right so its not just me then. You'd think they would have fixed it already... never seen a problem like this in all the laptops/smartphones/tablets ive used before.

Oh right so its not just me then. You'd think they would have fixed it already... never seen a problem like this in all the laptops/smartphones/tablets ive used before.

I think there might be a patch for it... but yeah, can't understand why HP haven't addressed the issue, it makes forum use very irritating.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think there might be a patch for it... but yeah, can't understand why HP haven't addressed the issue, it makes forum use very irritating.

I get it occasionally on my WP7, don't normally notice it unless I'm using boards.ie, for some reason it will load a cached version of the website. The touchpad has done it on a few websites as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

also seen it a few times, particularly able to see it if you go to a thread you have subscribed. Will show the time as a few hrs ago for the last post, when you know there is newer ones.

• Advertisement

It appears the only way to solve this problem is by disabling the cache.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/298215-disable-weboss-flawed-browser-cache.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

baldshin wrote: »
    Anyone else tried using flashsportstreams.tv on this? When I go to play a video using flash, I get a triangle with an exclamation mark??
    fdevine wrote: »
    LOF streaming won't work either.

Can log in, view available streams and select them, but then get a 'connection failed' message.

Anyone got it working?

having the same trouble myself with flashsportstreams - anyone got a solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Doirtybirdy

Ongoing progress with getting android working on the touch pad.
    It's only a matter of time before a full working version is there with dual boot ie you can switch between Web OS which you have now and Android :)

(I'm becoming a fan of the card system)

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4260-Touchdroid-Preview-Video-Current-progress

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRRhbh2UXs

(If you don't mind the adds)

Has anyone bought a 3rd party case, or even the standard hp one?
    Looking at this one

Has anyone gotten this yet, how does it feel/look?

phill106 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought a 3rd party case, or even the standard hp one?
    Looking at this one

Has anyone gotten this yet, how does it feel/look?

It's not bad, it says it's not specifically designed for the Tpad but it does fit pretty well. It's not as versitile as HP's case but you do get a screen protector, a couple of cleaning cloths and a stylus. It works with the touchstone dock but how efficiently I don't know. It does come out easily enough to not make it much of a hassle if you prefer to charge it out of the case.

Found a very good forum about the touchpad and software for it.

http://www.webosbuzz.com/forum.php

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jemmyboy

how can I get kindle on my touchpad or is it possible???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

jemmyboy wrote: »
    how can I get kindle on my touchpad or is it possible???

You'll find it in the post just above yours.;)

Advertisement