Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Hi, got my touchpad yesterday. When I am registering to use the apps with HP, will I select Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ShaneU wrote: »
    I have everything in the first paragraph done but I can't that .jar file to install properly. Are you just double clicking on it? I've installed the latest java files too. I've tried right clicking it then using javaws.exe to open it but I keep getting a "file too large" exception error

I've tried asking on the precentral forums and they just deleted both my posts, lovely folk over there :rolleyes:

Syntex in cmd.exe prompt: java.exe -jar (program)

Example: goto C:\PROGRA~1\Java\jre6\bin>
    and run
    java.exe -jar D:\WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar
    if the jar file is in the root of D:\

Ensure you keep the dos prompt open when this is running, as if you close the dos prompt, the installer closes as well.

Any questions, and I'll answer in 20 hours or so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

the_syco wrote: »
    Syntex in cmd.exe prompt: java.exe -jar (program)

Example: goto C:\PROGRA~1\Java\jre6\bin>
    and run
    java.exe -jar D:\WebOSQuickInstall-4.2.3.jar
    if the jar file is in the root of D:\

Ensure you keep the dos prompt open when this is running, as if you close the dos prompt, the installer closes as well.

Any questions, and I'll answer in 20 hours or so :D

All fixed now I had to do this

What a nightmare! If anyone has the same trouble running .jar files as I did, download unassoc.exe, go to .jar and click on the first two options, then uninstall and reinstall java and it should work.

For anyone looking to import music from itunes, this makes it very easy

http://hpplay.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can anyone get PaddyPower working? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Soarer wrote: »
    Can anyone get PaddyPower working? :confused:

Soarer do me a favour and try www.2fm.ie and see if it loads on yours if not pm me back and i have a fix which i have done to mine that works.

the paddy power site works for me on mine but i have the fix done already.

ps. it involves getting into the unix code of the touchpad but easy enough steps to follow

neonitrix

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

That seems to work ok Neon. Maybe its because i havent updated to the latest firmware?

The page opens blank with a tab on the right with a "bet" button in it. When I press it, it tells me it cant install this mime file type, or something like that. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Any news if europe has got those 6 free apps yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Quick tip I found; when typing, when the keyboard pops up, on the bottom right, click and hold the mini keyboard button to resize the keyboard.

Also, anyone know how to remove the extra search engines here?

searchpreferences201127.png

The extra search engines are annoying me, and I cant find out how to remove them. They keep getting added.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

Tinie wrote: »
    Quick tip I found; when typing, when the keyboard pops up, on the bottom right, click and hold the mini keyboard button to resize the keyboard.

The extra search engines are annoying me, and I cant find out how to remove them. They keep getting added.

Actually, I think you keep adding more! Somehow I doubt Boards.ie has been listed as a search choice the world over... Just tick the few you want to use and leave the rest unticked. I haven't found a way to remove any site off the options list but it's a settings menu, not general use so you shouldn't have to put up with the long list very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Cherrybomb

Hi Guys

I don't normally post a lot but I thought I was onto a winner with this thread in my search to get the kindle app on my touch pad

I am normally useless with computers but the instructions on here were fantastic and I couldn't believe it but I had impostah installed and all that jazz

Finally I was on the last step and it wouldn't recognize the path for the kindle app I am devasted. When I first got the touch pad I updated it

Does this mean I cant now install kindle (tis one of the reasons I bought the bloody thing)

Thanks again for all the info and instructions on this thread its really help full

loopymum wrote: »
    Hi, got my touchpad yesterday. When I am registering to use the apps with HP, will I select Ireland?

You know, I was only thinking about you earlier, fair play to Jervis st. Argos and congratulations to you!

You're probably best off selecting Ireland or else you'll end up with an American layout keyboardor something silly like that. Anything else it'd be handy to have an "American" Touchpad for will no doubt read your location from your IP address and I've no idea if you can use a proxy server with you Touchpad but that's going a bit far for most probably!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cherrybomb wrote: »
    Finally I was on the last step and it wouldn't recognize the path for the kindle app I am devasted. When I first got the touch pad I updated it
    Question: is this path on your computer, and does it contain any special characters such as "#;?" etc? As in, anything but the alphabet, numbers, and the backslash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Tinie wrote: »

if you update to the latest version of software, it gives you an option to switch it off.

Cherrybomb wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I don't normally post a lot but I thought I was onto a winner with this thread in my search to get the kindle app on my touch pad

I am normally useless with computers but the instructions on here were fantastic and I couldn't believe it but I had impostah installed and all that jazz

Does this mean I cant now install kindle (tis one of the reasons I bought the bloody thing)

Thanks again for all the info and instructions on this thread its really help full
    Yes you can still get kindle even though you updated. Read my post on the previous page or 2 on how to get kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Has anyone figured out how to move their books to Kindle?
    I tried Bluetooth to see if the touchpad would find laptip but no luck.
    Touchpad didn't see laptop and same other way round!:confused:

celj wrote: »
    Has anyone figured out how to move their books to Kindle?
    I tried Bluetooth to see if the touchpad would find laptip but no luck.
    Touchpad didn't see laptop and same other way round!:confused:

There's no way to do it that isn't awkward

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/288910-kindle-app-how-manually-add-books-touchpad.html

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/293807-how-i-manually-add-books-kindle.html

I've tried using an alternative app called preader for viewing .mobi files but € and ! symbols keep popping up all over the place. Anyone know a reader app that supports .mobi files properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Anyone manage to install Video Flood lite?

http://www.precentral.net/video-flood-lite

It's not showing up in the catalog, tried with Impostah but don't know the app id...

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

There's no way to do it that isn't awkward

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/288910-kindle-app-how-manually-add-books-touchpad.html

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad-apps/293807-how-i-manually-add-books-kindle.html

I've tried using an alternative app called preader for viewing .mobi files but € and ! symbols keep popping up all over the place. Anyone know a reader app that supports .mobi files properly?

ShaneU refer to post #78 above. Changing the preferences to UTF-8 for encoding sorted the € and ! problems for me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

just a reminder for folks to sign up and get your 50gb of storage space from box.net.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391676,00.asp

worth putting some stuff up there if you run short.

Getting mine delivered monday :)

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

karltimber wrote: »
    just a reminder for folks to sign up and get your 50gb of storage space from box.net.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2391676,00.asp

worth putting some stuff up there if you run short.

Getting mine delivered monday :)

K

I just did it on mine now, looks good &will come in handy if broadband speeds improve around here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

also - good article with steps on overclocking it and making it run faster (not sure if posted already)

Here

K :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Any news if europe has got those 6 free apps yet?

No news on this yet, looks doubtful that we will at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Why don't you? :D

Present for the missus, and a Chelsea match to go to so anit got the time ;)

Davie89 wrote: »
    No news on this yet, looks doubtful that we will at all!
    Palm said we will be getting them eventually, im just wondering do they mean will get them for free in a few weeks or a few days. Really annoying not having them for free over here.

rocky wrote: »
    Anyone manage to install Video Flood lite?

http://www.precentral.net/video-flood-lite

It's not showing up in the catalog, tried with Impostah but don't know the app id...
    here's a link for the ipk http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MPUCSSG5

I've tried using it but most of the sites are geo-restricted to the U.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Does anyone know if Quickoffice supports excel files?

I mailed an excel file to the Touchpad and when I tried to open it from the mail it looks as if Quickoffice is going to open up the file then I get a message that says "Quickoffice has encountered an error with this file" with two options support or ok.

Anyone else out there that can help me on this one??:o

Kilsmum

kilsmum wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Quickoffice supports excel files?

I mailed an excel file to the Touchpad and when I tried to open it from the mail it looks as if Quickoffice is going to open up the file then I get a message that says "Quickoffice has encountered an error with this file" with two options support or ok.

Anyone else out there that can help me on this one??:o

Kilsmum

The thing with Excel is that it supports many different file types, the question is does it have any in it's "save as" that Quickoffice also supports. Just had a quick look at www.quickoffice.com and it says it the WebOS version supports
    Word .doc & .docs
    Excel .xls & .xlsx
    PowerPoint .ppt & .pptx

Go to Quickoffice.com and have a nosey around in their support section, do a search and you'll find a .PDF file for WebOS, it's all in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

I did and the only Web Os I can find seems to be for the Palm.

I tried to open the file in the two different formats you quoted above and neither works for me.

Kilsmum

• Advertisement

kilsmum wrote: »
    I did and the only Web Os I can find seems to be for the Palm.

I tried to open the file in the two different formats you quoted above and neither works for me.

Kilsmum

Buggers! You're right, it's for WebOS 1, the original Palm version. This is of interest to me too, I'll post if I find a solution though if you beat me to it, feel free to do the same!

Advertisement