Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

celj wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get kindle?
    I got pReader but it messed up the books I put onto it with € signs everywhere!!
    Firstly update to 3.0.2 via the Software Update then...

You need to figure out how to first enable developer mode, and how to install Preware, which Google can help with. Afterwards in Preware, install Impostah, and then do the following:

Here's what to do on 3.0.2:

- Open Impostah
    - Choose Activation
    - Choose US, English, a new email address, and a password
    - Tap Create Profile (then click yes through everything)
    - Tap Login
    - Open App Catalog, which will prompt you to choose country. Choose US.

- Open up Impostah again
    - Choose App catalog
    - enter com.palm.app.kindle
    - Get info
    - Install

- Open Impostah (again!)
    - Choose Activation
    - Choose your own country, your preferred language, the email address of your original profile, and the password

Done!

ShaneU wrote: »
    Having problems installing preware, java keeps saying

Error: could not load file/URL Specified C:\Users\win7us~1\AppData\Local\Temp\javaws18

Using win7 64bit, the file is there alright.
    Turn Developer Mode on in your TouchPad by typing “webos20090606” (without the quotation marks) into the ‘Just type…’ field and press enter. In the next window, tap the ‘off’ slider to switch on Developer Mode. Press ‘submit’ when it asks for the password.

Next, install webOS Quick Install here onto your computer. This Java app will automatically install the requisite Novacom drivers once it loads, and you’ll then need to attach the TouchPad via USB to your computer. Do NOT enable USB mode, hit cancel when the window pops up asking you to go into usb mode.

Press the Globe icon on the right hand side in webOS Quick Install to load all the available files, search for Preware in the list and click the Install button. Remember not to be in USB mode; it will take about a minute to install. Once Preware is installed on the TouchPad, you won’t need to use webOS Quick Install on your computer to sideload apps anymore, you can do it straight on the touchpad.

Worked fine for me. Using Win7 64bit laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Tinie wrote: »

You need to figure out how to first enable developer mode, and how to install Preware, which Google can help with. Afterwards in Preware, install Impostah, and then do the following:

- Open Impostah
    - Choose Activation
    - Tap Login

- Open up Impostah again
    - Choose App catalog
    - Get info
    - Install

- Open Impostah (again!)
    - Choose Activation
    - Choose your own country, your preferred language, the email address of your original profile, and the password

Done!

Thanks a lot!!
    Will this work for getting the free apps from the us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I don't think Impostah works with promo codes, unfortunately.

- Open Impostah
    - Choose Activation
    - Tap Login

- Open up Impostah again
    - Choose App catalog
    - Get info
    - Install

- Open Impostah (again!)
    - Choose Activation

Done!

Its show com.palm.app.kindle not found!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 oliver29

Thanks Tinie ... last steps are to change back to your own country - did Ireland show up on your list here?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

- Open Impostah
    - Choose Activation
    - Tap Login

- Open up Impostah again
    - Choose App catalog
    - Get info
    - Install

- Open Impostah (again!)
    - Choose Activation

Done!

it only works on 3.0.0, the 3.0.2 update fixes the issue.

Not sure what's wring there as it worked for me fine. Anyone else have this problem?

oliver29 wrote: »
    Thanks Tinie ... last steps are to change back to your own country - did Ireland show up on your list here?

No, I just selected united kingdom. I dint think it matters, i think it only matters what you selected when creating the account first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Not sure what's wring there as it worked for me fine. Anyone else have this problem?

Didn't work for me either, I'm also on 3.0.2 so looks like you need to do this before you apply the system update.

• Advertisement

I'm updated to latest firmware also and it worked for me. Not sure why its not working for some of you??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Turn Developer Mode on in your TouchPad by typing “webos20090606” (without the quotation marks) into the ‘Just type…’ field and press enter. In the next window, tap the ‘off’ slider to switch on Developer Mode. Press ‘submit’ when it asks for the password.

Next, install webOS Quick Install here onto your computer. This Java app will automatically install the requisite Novacom drivers once it loads, and you’ll then need to attach the TouchPad via USB to your computer. Do NOT enable USB mode, hit cancel when the window pops up asking you to go into usb mode.

Press the Globe icon on the right hand side in webOS Quick Install to load all the available files, search for Preware in the list and click the Install button. Remember not to be in USB mode; it will take about a minute to install. Once Preware is installed on the TouchPad, you won’t need to use webOS Quick Install on your computer to sideload apps anymore, you can do it straight on the touchpad.

Worked fine for me. Using Win7 64bit laptop.

I have everything in the first paragraph done but I can't that .jar file to install properly. Are you just double clicking on it? I've installed the latest java files too. I've tried right clicking it then using javaws.exe to open it but I keep getting a "file too large" exception error

I've tried asking on the precentral forums and they just deleted both my posts, lovely folk over there :rolleyes:

I have everything in the first paragraph done but I can't that .jar file to install properly. Are you just double clicking on it? I've installed the latest java files too. I've tried right clicking it then using javaws.exe to open it but I keep getting a "file too large" exception error

I've tried asking on the precentral forums and they just deleted both my posts, lovely folk over there :rolleyes:
    Maybe try right clicking the jar file on your computer, and selecting run as administrator. Im not sure man, sounds like its a computer problem on your end and there could be many different causes for it not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

I got the kindle app working grand, but unable to load my previous epub/mobi files. Does anyone know of a method that'd work to copy them over. I tried copying them in to the kindle folder on the Touchpad but it's not picking them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I use goodreader all the time on my ipad, is there something similar for the touchpad?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Anyone know how to get kindle?
    I got pReader but it messed up the books I put onto it with € signs everywhere!!

I have the same problem with preader. Anybody work out how to fix it yet ? I tried changing regional settings but nothing worked.

Try the pReader Native Alpha through Preware, might have improved.

Edit: there is a character encoding setting in the preferences. Change it to UTF-8, under Text Display > CP-1252 (Latin).

What a nightmare! If anyone has the same trouble running .jar files as I did, download unassoc.exe, go to .jar and click on the first two options, then uninstall and reinstall java and it should work.

Ok I have the webos quick installer running, I have the touchpad connected (not in usb mode) yet it still says there are no devices connected?

edit: got it working, didn't realise you had to stay in developer mode, thought you could just turn it on and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Baza210 wrote: »
    Try the pReader Native Alpha through Preware, might have improved.

Edit: there is a character encoding setting in the preferences. Change it to UTF-8, under Text Display > CP-1252 (Latin).

Was about to post that, you beat me to it.:)
    Works perfect now, good options to tweak in preferences.

• Advertisement

Ok I have the webos quick installer running, I have the touchpad connected (not in usb mode) yet it still says there are no devices connected?

1. Did you put it in Developer Mode (enter 'webos20090606' in Just Type...)
    2. Did WOQI install the Novacom drivers?

Have Kindle now but its useless as I can't put my books onto it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Anybody care to check out the free apps indicated in this article and report back?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20097584-64/hp-offers-free-apps-to-touchpad-tablet-owners/?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Well it shows how many of got the Touchpad!
    I thought this thread would be a lot bigger by now!

I downloaded a game,NFS,from a site thats not deviloid,and managed to put it on the pad.
    Sound and everything was ok but everything was in blue and white!

Was meant for a phone but was webos so hope someone has luck finding a few more!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Fiskar wrote: »
    Anybody care to check out the free apps indicated in this article and report back?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20097584-64/hp-offers-free-apps-to-touchpad-tablet-owners/?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Why don't you? :D

Baza210 wrote: »
    1. Did you put it in Developer Mode (enter 'webos20090606' in Just Type...)
    2. Did WOQI install the Novacom drivers?
    Yeah it's all sorted now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Anyone secured their 50gb box.net account. I created an account and the logged into webOS app on it but I've only got 5gb

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

groom wrote: »
    Anyone secured their 50gb box.net account. I created an account and the logged into webOS app on it but I've only got 5gb

Yeah. Two, first one accidentally with the wrong email address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Yeah got 50 gbs too, uploading to it as we speak!!! Did you sign up to in on your touchpad first or your computer first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'm updated to latest firmware also and it worked for me. Not sure why its not working for some of you??

I missed the open app catalog and select US as country step doh :o

Advertisement