Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHAT ABOUT MAH LEGS, CHARLIE MURPHY??!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

didn't get around to training on saturday (ok, I was hungover)

today:
    OHS, up to 40 for a triple, snatch balances at same weight then snatched it. little better. Slooowly catchy monkey.

power snatch (high catch)
    60x3, 65x2, 60x2x4

Back squat:
    3 ladders at 105, tryin to keep upperback tight. More weight next time.

Pendlays: 60x10, 70x10, 80x10, 85x5

not entirely righteous on the 85, two of them barely hit me chest, if even. I still like these as they don't ****ing wreck my upper back like pullups do.

Koar later.

Later: Koar

2x10 evil wheel rollouts. Did the same about 4 days ago and the abs were sore. Couldn't do a third set (was doin these elevated and weighted a while back) Weird, must have the rhabdo or something. Hardkoar

right:

YTWLS
    Cuban presses
    band stuff
    quad stretch
    split squat
    eye of newt

OHS: bar
    snatch:

Bar
    40kg
    45kg
    50kg
    55kgx1x3
    60kgx1x2 (I think)

happy for the moment, I couldn't snatch an empty bar a few weeks ago. Really trying to push the bar up on receipt. Looking at videos, I seem to pull the ****er high, have a cup of tea, float down and catch the bar when it's travelled about 30cm downwards, Also chasing the thing due to unfinished pull screws position and causes further shoulder rapage. See here (this is possibly the lift that ****ed both shoulders too):

If the shoulders ain't pushing up and spectacularly jacked then I don't see how it's not going to lead to various forms of ouchitis. I also need to work on this mythical third pull, which would save me having to deal with such things, as shoulders and elbows would lock out at exactly the point of max bar elevation. I can't think that fast and sure as hell can't move that fast. I reckon I need to do more tall snatches hang snatches, overhead SHURGZ and possibly muscle snatches (so there's some strength in that wide position). Also get jacked.

Anyhoo...
    Clean and jerked up to an ugly 85, then back to 80 for about 5 singles. Felt ok but still leaning forward on the drive. up to 75 looks perfect but then shenanigans occur.

Front squat:
    3 ladders at 90kg
    ok

Deadlift (all double overhand hookless)
    120x3, 130x3, 140x1(+10s hold), 1, 1
    Ok this is weird, they are still baby weights but I don't remember ever holding 140 for any length of time with double OH grip. I've been pinch gripping plates and doing rows without hooking but no other grip work, err well apart from cleans!

In conclusion: Blah blah blah blah.

Yesterday:

YTWL
    cuban press
    quad stretch
    band thing
    adductor stretch
    ankle stretch
    split squat (unweighted)
    clicked heels three times

Snatched 60 again, missed 65 behind and thought better of continuing (ouch!)

power clean+power jerk (working on stayin upright): about 10 singles at 75kg. Still a bit loose.

Jerk heaves: 85-95-105-110x3

Back squat:
    3 ladders at 110kg
    Felt heavy :(

Pendlays:

60x10, 70x5, 80x5rx3s
    Grand

split squatz (using Kremlinball in goblet position)
    20x10, 24x8, 28x5x3
    Ow.

stretchin'

zzz

howth hill again (hybrid), 11.35. FUUUUUU!!!!
    there was a headwind tough. hit 62.4km/h on the descent and could hear the wind whistling in me beard.

Howth again. On the racer this time: 9.34, 65.6 on descent. took it easy on the way out and back to save legs for tomorrow.
    Quick swim again, can't get enough of those dublin bay faeces. hope there's no mutations.

• Advertisement

aight, didn't spend half an hour warmin up snatches today and went straight to clean and jerks...

10 singles at 85kg, two dodgy ones but the rest were nice

Front squat:
    3 ladders at 95kg, not too bad. let a massive fart on the 2nd rep of the last set. 100kg next time

deads: 3x3x135, still not too bad. Still using double overhand

jerk drives: 80-100-110x3

Starting to think I might make some progress some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Dead Ed wrote: »
    et a massive fart on the 2nd rep of the last set

Cheating propulsion mutha****a!
    Starting to think I might make some progress some time in the future.

Excellent.

token wrote: »
    Cheating propulsion mutha****a!
    I'm sure the SPF will have rockets on their triple-ply suits for next season

Did some weighted situps anchored on a swiss ball for the KOAR yesterday. It was a pink swiss ball so I lost a load of testosterone.

Right, Imma start recording weekly and monthly tonnage to see what sort of things I'm doin to the organism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Ya know at first it took me awhile to notice what your ritual (use that term loosely) was for setting up, but I see from your edenderry vid you look the bar right/left a few times. I'm only saying because I've been noticing how others set themselves up for the lifts. Anyway just interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

howtomake wrote: »
    Ya know at first it took me awhile to notice what your ritual (use that term loosely) was for setting up, but I see from your edenderry vid you look the bar right/left a few times. I'm only saying because I've been noticing how others set themselves up for the lifts. Anyway just interesting...

He's checking to see if his grip is set!

He's checking to see if his grip is set!

I just find it interesting the little physical cues that everyone seems to do before they do the lift. Like Wayne likes to flex his fingers, and Melanie Roach (my fav) kind of rocks herself into the straightest alignment, like someone put a stick in front of her. I've seen other lifters do the "rock" before but I don't know she just so looks graceful about it. Anyway sorry for hijacking your log Ed.

No worries, hijack away! It's kind of a checklist with some muttering, cues and a threat or two thrown in there. If I get too wound up I'll end up throwin the ****er behind.

Do you threaten the bar or yourself or both:D?

He prays to Sir Isaac Newton to alter the laws of gravity momentarily before he lifts. If he does not comply it is death to all.

Do you threaten the bar or yourself or both:D?
    Everything :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: ;)!
    token wrote: »
    He prays to Sir Isaac Newton to alter the laws of gravity momentarily before he lifts. If he does not comply it is death to all.
    He never answers me :(

Have you tried sacrificing a virgin yet? Used to work in the old days, or eat the flesh of your enemy??

Have you tried sacrificing a virgin yet? Used to work in the old days, or eat the flesh of your enemy??

Can't find any virgins on de nort soide and all my enemies are dead!

Right, today
    snatched an almighty sixty five entire kilograms for 4 singles. Sore today.

Back squat: 3 ladders at 115kg, was gettin a bit loose at the end. I'll go to 120 next time but might do 1-2 ladders instead

Jerk drives: 3x3x115kg, managin to stay upright anyway.

Pendlays:
    5x3x85kg not too bad. Will try 5x90 next time.

TONNZZZ: 4640kg, which is about 15% of what an actual weightlifter would do twice a day! Edit: Armanau does 30 tonnes a session, Illin 64 a day. Jebus.

Think I'll have to train tomorrow as I'm on hairy planes on friday.

Clean and jerked 85 for ten singles. Jerks not fantastic but they went up.

Front squat: 3 ladders at 100kg. Thought I was gonna fail every single one of these. Stupid brain. There may have been some grunting here.

deadlift, 120x3, 130x3, 140x1, 145x 1 1 1 getting tougher to make these look purty.

Edit: press: 40x5, 45x5

KURLOVICH: 3x10 at 30. Found one of those curl belts that arnie had in pumping iron. Ridiculous!

TONNAGE: 5300kg

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭supposedly

Clean and jerked 85 for ten singles. Jerks not fantastic but they went up.

Front squat: 3 ladders at 100kg. Thought I was gonna fail every single one of these. Stupid brain. There may have been some grunting here.

Your jerks were actually grand. You asked me to look at them and be very critical and pedantic, so that's what I did.
    What happened your front squats after I left? The first ladder looked great; really easy and fast and demon-free!
    Get it together; you're a mess! :P

• Advertisement

Right, was out getting deaf at spa over the weekend. Feelin a bit funny today.

Snatch:
    pissed about for a while, went to 40 or 50kg and no amount of stretching any which way or rotational voodoo would sort the shoulders out. Power snatched to 60 odd for a few doubles then.

Rack jerk: Bleh

Back squat: 3 ladders at 120, Felt crap but apparently looked ok. Needed some encouragement to do the last rep. 60x10 to cool down

Situp machine thing: 23kg for 2x10 and 11.5kg for 3x10. not sure about that thing.

Edit: Split squats (racked in front squat position): 27kg for 3x8. Need to double that and then some.
    Single leg swiss curlz

4700 kg moved today.

Gonna have to roll the quadricepus maxi-maxi-maximuses.

Clean and jerk: 88kg for ten singles. Not too bad. Some ropey ones towards the end

Front squat: 105kg, 1-2-1 1
    Bugger. Hams were ****ed today for some reason.

Pendlays: 80x5, 90x5
    not too bad. Grip is startin to become a factor.

TONZ: Errr... 2255kg

Gonna retry the FS at the same weight next time and see what happens.

Edit: Went to a physio about the shoulder, no impingement, rotator cuff muscles fine. Upper traps are too jacked, I've no mid-back, way too much external rotation (pitcher amounts) and winged-to-**** scapulae that sit too high and wide. This might explain why the snatch receiving position is so crap. Anyway, the pain is in the joint as a result of some compensation of various things when I'm lifting and there's a bunch of crap in there too. Basically need to work postural stuff because I'm lazy and slouch. Got some stuff to do to correct the posture. I'll also have to sit up straight. Might have to work somethin out in the office to help (this probably means that I shouldn't buy that office hammock I was planning :()

Cycled 56km between things and stuff. Bleh.

Trained on friday in york with power clean + jerk (was in jeans+cons) up to 90 to try something. Less leaning with the flat shoes. wandered off for an ale then.

Gonna try something on monday with stances, different shoes and video them to see if I can figure something out.

Excessive Banter+abuse.

Forgot me shorts so had to train in jeans, they have some stretch so it wasn't too bad.

Clean and jerk: 90 for 5 singles, came forward a little. Nearly dislocated my right shoulder on one of them and finished up with a good one.

Back squattage:
    125 for 3 ladders. That's back to PB territory. Might leave the weight the same for the next session as I think the jeans might have given me a kilo or two! </gear whore>

Load: 2700

I'll do some more stuff later if I have time. Stoopid work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Equipped weightlifting, interesting.

What's this ladder business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    What's this ladder business.

1-2-3-1-2-3

I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

1-2-3-1-2-3

I think.

What kinda rests between 1/2/3? Rerack for 30 seconds and go again?

Aye, 1-2-3 is one ladder, I'll add weight if I can get three ladders without blowing an eyeball out on the previous session. It leaves a bit of room to manoeuvre if I feel a bit off.

columok wrote: »

As long as it takes to recover!

• Advertisement

columok wrote: »

Look at metcon sally here

Advertisement