Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

183 in the HPAT got my hopes up. 505 in the Leaving Cert brought them crashing down. I knew I didnt put in the required effort. Deluded myself that coasting through like I'd always done would be enough. I'm going to get a few subjects re-checked. If they stay the same or go down it wont make a difference to me. I'll more than likely end up repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    183 in the HPAT got my hopes up. 505 in the Leaving Cert brought them crashing down. I knew I didnt put in the required effort. Deluded myself that coasting through like I'd always done would be enough. I'm going to get a few subjects re-checked. If they stay the same or go down it wont make a difference to me. I'll more than likely end up repeating.

183 is a very good hpat score, i believe its one of the hardest parts, the lc part isnt that bad because you can prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I think the 10% applies to normal CAO courses. The only score I've heard for getting in on the HEAR scheme was 708 last year, I have no idea if this was in the upper or lower range of HEAR applicants though.
    Was that me? :P That score got me into trinners. I'd imagine the score for HEAR goes up every year, with more and more people becoming aware of it and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

10% off? Are the CAO having a sale? :D

721 x 90% = 649 points

What a steal :p
    Percentage wise I guess I got a 3% cut off? :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sunny!! wrote: »
    true, it really shows are you willing to go to any extent and are you dedicated ...
    Well, if we want ways to prove the absolute dedication of medabees, I can come up with more interesting ideas of less cost to the exchequer and of more community benefit ... :D

Like spending two months of their fifth year summer holidays as volunteers in hospitals / nursing homes, helping to keep patients entertained, playing cards / board games with the elderly, helping with basic clean-up and routine tasks, for example.

Would be excellent experience for them, would be of great benefit to patients / residents, and might make those who are going into medicine for what I would consider the wrong reasons (money; parental expectations; etc) think again ... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Well, if we want ways to prove the absolute dedication of medabees, I can come up with more interesting ideas of less cost to the exchequer and of more community benefit ... :D

Like spending two months of their fifth year summer holidays as volunteers in hospitals / nursing homes, helping to keep patients entertained, playing cards / board games with the elderly, helping with basic clean-up and routine tasks, for example.

Would be excellent experience for them, would be of great benefit to patients / residents, and might make those who are going into medicine for what I would consider the wrong reasons (money; parental expectations; etc) think again ... :pac:
    id take that anyday over the hpat, the hpat should be scraped and you should have to do experience and an interview aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Want to know how many points you'll need on Monday?

Then, help us find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

theowen wrote: »
    Was that me? :P

Maybe :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NinjaKid

I'm aware of someone starting into their 3rd year of medicine at UCD who originally got into the course via the HEAR route with 520 points in the leaving cert and 110 points hpat (630 combined score). Back then it was the 1st year the hpat was utilised and I think the CAO cut off point for standard cao applicants was 720 in ucd for that particular year. So yeah don't give up hope just yet to those of you out there that have qualified for HEAR!

On another note HEAR was far less recognised 2 years ago than it is today so the points won't be so forgiving these days. More applicants = Increased competition. I think UCD takes on like 3-4 med students via the HEAR route though so fingers crossed that your score is strong enough! Goodluck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tetralogy

Hey guys,

So I'm new to boards but would appreciate some opinions on my points for medicine.

I got 179 in the hpat and 570 (554) in the the LC, giving a total of 733. I'm applying to NUIG, what do ye think my chances are? I know the points are going to rise due the gross inflation on overall hpat scores.

Thanks for any help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

tetralogy wrote: »
    Hey guys,

So I'm new to boards but would appreciate some opinions on my points for medicine.

I got 179 in the hpat and 570 (554) in the the LC, giving a total of 733. I'm applying to NUIG, what do ye think my chances are? I know the points are going to rise due the gross inflation on overall hpat scores.

Thanks for any help!

You have a very good chance of getting a place...like 90% I'd say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

For those who sat the HPAT this year, would you recommend (or not) a preparation course? If so, which of them would you recommend and why?? Thanks in advance for any advice given!! Also congrats to all those who received LC results on Wednesday and good luck on Monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adam4

tetralogy wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Thanks for any help!
    i have the exact same score! needless to say i hope you get in

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

my girlfriends got 727 and is looking for ucc last year it was 725 do ye think it will go up

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adam4

hard to say with applications being down and places being up. i'm in the same boat with 733 and trinity was 731 last year so points staying static would be fantastic but i think hpat scores are generally higher this year

• Registered Users Posts: 28 corby1992

Hey I want someone to be straight with me! Ive got 722 and im wondering will it be enough? im not going to be insulted I have Physiotherapy and will be quite happy with that too, just looking for honest opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Mr.mojo

corby1992 wrote: »
    Hey I want someone to be straight with me! Ive got 722 and im wondering will it be enough? im not going to be insulted I have Physiotherapy and will be quite happy with that too, just looking for honest opinions!

My honest opinion is that it will not be enough.i have 723 and that wont be enough either....wer looking at 725 min id say

Mr.mojo wrote: »
    My honest opinion is that it will not be enough.i have 723 and that wont be enough either....wer looking at 725 min id say

I'm thinking the same! I know a girl who got 3 more points than me in her HPAT last year and got fifteen places higher in the percentile.

corby1992 wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same! I know a girl who got 3 more points than me in her HPAT last year and got fifteen places higher in the percentile.

so that means the hpat hasnt gone up so?
    it was 719 in galway and they added places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

Do TCD offer places on the DARE scheme into medicine?

• Advertisement

seanand wrote: »

No it has gone up? she got only a few points higher than me and was 86 percentile I think. I was 70 percentile this year. therefore HPAT scores are way higher? Am I wrong?

no i think your right i just misread your first post sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Yes, I would assume so. It's listed as a restricted course here but they mention that it applies to all courses here. (Click on the 'Click here to find out more about the quotas.' bit.) So I'd presume that the restriction they speak of is that you have to do the HPAT as well.

Best to email their admissions office at admissions@tcd.ie to be on the safe side though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tetralogy

adam4 wrote: »
    hard to say with applications being down and places being up. i'm in the same boat with 733 and trinity was 731 last year so points staying static would be fantastic but i think hpat scores are generally higher this year

I think you still have a chance of getting in as the medical courses with higher points have smaller rises compared to the lower point courses.

Last year NUIG had a 7 point rise from 713 to 720 while Trinity only had a 3 point rise from 728 to 731. Trinity obviously has a much greater demand but there is a tapering effect on points. They can't just keep rising endlessly.

That said the overall rise in HPAT scores leaves the points at anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

seanand wrote: »

The hpat scores are altered in some way so as the 50th percentile is around 150- ACER (the company who does it) never discusses how they mark the questions.

See-

"Th2010: http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/...erformance.pdf

2009: http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/...erformance.pdf

That's what I thought, QueensOfLeon. Looks like ACER's 2009 graph is inaccurate then..."

The problem is we dont have the 2011 graph!!!!- Incorrect see later posting

However as the real scores are so close seems like we are allowed to guess.So-

Lowest scores 2010 719 Galway, 721 RCSI. Other Courses more reflecting not the quality of the course but just increased numbers wanting to get in.

Best guess 2011 Galway 726, RCSI 727 Rest ? up 5??

BUT government health warning- we wont know until the early hours of Monday when someone will buy the Irish Independent hot "off the press" photograph it and put it up on boards.ie somewhere(as usual!!!)

First year there was a poll somebody did and you could put your guess in for the lowest score to get into Medicine-perhaps someone clever could set up a similar thing again but my guess remains 726 lowest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

drrkpd wrote: »
    The problem is we dont have the 2011 graph!!!!

http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/2011performance.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Worst case scenario my guesses would be NUIG 726, RCSI 728, UCD 733, TCD 740.

So whats the lowest looking like? does everybody think that the points are going to rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Laika_ wrote: »

Thanks-looking at that and all those scores way over 180 I think my worst case scenario of 726 lowest score may well be about right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Capricorn93

Carp..:(..was hoping to get into UCD with 731, don't think so now looking at this thread.

Advertisement