Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RacePix.com is 3! 5km Fun Run & Race. Sat 22nd October 11am

• 17-08-2011 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭

To celebrate RacePix.com's 3rd Birthday. In association with Le Cheile AC we are organising a 5km Fun Run and Race in NUI Maynooth on Saturday, 22nd October 2011 at 11am.

Race registration and changing/shower facilities are on the North campus in the college's sports hall. The race itself will be run on picturesque grounds of the South campus (5 minute walk from registration).

Post race refreshments including birthday cake ;) will be back in the sports hall.

All relevant information can be found on the race website here

PM me if you require any additional information.
    Cheers
    Dave & Darren

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 14 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    64%
    groovygshels4evermenoscemoecolipad-camgerard65sideswipeSureWhyNot!Tom Joad 9 votes
    3 stars (average)
    28%
    TimmaayW.B. Yeatsronnie085Pronator 4 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    7%
    jillywilly 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'm in RoadRunner, only live ten mins away. Best of luck wit the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

3 stars (average)
    Perfect timing for a Pre-Dublin race:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Is this 5k on grass or tarmac or a mixture of both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

chinguetti wrote: »
    tarmac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

4 stars (good)

Its on Tarmac. Route is as flat as a pancake few sharp corners (around the orchard IIRC) but still should be fast. I used to run the colleges road relays out there and like the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ecoli wrote: »
    Its on Tarmac. Route is as flat as a pancake few sharp corners (around the orchard IIRC) but still should be fast. I used to run the colleges road relays out there and like the loop.

Yes it's all on Tarmac. One sharp turn at the orchard all right, its a little different to road relay loop as we have removed some of the tight corners on that loop. It is a very fast lap. It's all on the college grounds as well so will be totally traffic free.

Course has been accurately measured by ultraman1 (and subsequently checked by my gamin on a few occasions :D) so a big thank you to him for his time and expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

4 stars (good)
    Is this in the same area of the campus as the BHAA XC race in March?

gerard65 wrote: »
    Is this in the same area of the campus as the BHAA XC race in March?

Yep same side of the campus. All on tarmac though obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

So you used us all as guinea pigs in Maynooth last November in the Boards AC race. I feel so used :p

So you used us all as guinea pigs in Maynooth last November in the Boards AC race. I feel so used :p

Yep that was my thinking last year. Have a much better finishing area this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yep that was my thinking last year. Have a much better finishing area this year :)

So everyone that ran last year gets free entry yeah? And 2 free pints in the pub afterwards ;)

Agree with the finish area alright. Always thought the universities road relays was a bit cramped at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

So everyone that ran last year gets free entry yeah? And 2 free pints in the pub afterwards ;)

Agree with the finish area alright. Always thought the universities road relays was a bit cramped at the finish line.

I like this idea very much!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

4 stars (good)
    Anyone else doing this one, just registered for it this morning. Initial plan was to have a crack at a sub 20 and things are looking good., Ran the course a few months ago with the Boards crew and it is a fast course. Anyone else thinking about running close to that time, maybe get a good group to work together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

4 stars (good)
    shels4ever wrote: »
    Anyone else doing this one, just registered for it this morning. Initial plan was to have a crack at a sub 20 and things are looking good., Ran the course a few months ago with the Boards crew and it is a fast course. Anyone else thinking about running close to that time, maybe get a good group to work together.

Just heard about this and can't wait - went to college in Maynooth so perfect excuse to go back down memory lane.. :D Done my first sub 45min 10k this year so would love to have a crack at a sub 20. Am new to this site so would be great chance to learn something from the boards pros!

Maybe the organisers could sort a sub 20 pacer? ;)

4 stars (good)
    I'm signed up a few weeks now. Looking forward to it. I'll do the sub 20 pacing - for a fee.

I'm signed up a few weeks now. Looking forward to it. I'll do the sub 20 pacing - for free.

4 stars (good)
    I'm signed up a few weeks now. Looking forward to it. I'll do the sub 20 pacing - for a fee.
    Sounds like a good idea... but last time I was following you I ended up not finishing, might need to run a few seconds infront.

4 stars (good)

What time do you think you will run for this? Just getting under 20 or giving it a lash?

4 stars (good)
    What time do you think you will run for this? Just getting under 20 or giving it a lash?
    Not sure if I'll make it, achilles is still a problem. Advise was to rest for two weeks and then see how it is. So I'll decide early next week, but if I make it I'll aim for 20mins, don't want to run flatout yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I think mrs Jones might be doing this next week ! For a change I'll stand there with the Kids:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I'm going to have a go at this one too. It'll be my first time running in a 5k. Aiming for sub 20, maybe even sub 19 if things go particularly well. I went to college there too so it'll be nice to pay it a visit. The old campus is lovely.

Sandwell wrote: »
    I'm going to have a go at this one too. It'll be my first time running in a 5k. Aiming for sub 20, maybe even sub 19 if things go particularly well. I went to college there too so it'll be nice to pay it a visit. The old campus is lovely.

It really is. I was running over there yesterday myself and it is beautiful at this time of year. Route takes in this! PS if you can register soon as we need to finalise numbers for chips and catering. See you next week nui_maynooth_6.jpg

It really is. I was running over there yesterday myself and it is beautiful at this time of year. Route takes in this! PS if you can register soon as we need to finalise numbers for chips and catering. See you next week nui_maynooth_6.jpg

I'm registered already, although I can see how that wasn't clear from my previous post. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Mmmm...chips...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Anyone know how close the train station is to the start/finish?

I need to be back in Dublin ASAP after the race and there's a train at 11.35am from Maynooth. Given I'm hoping to finish the race in around 12.36*, does that leave me enough time to make the train?

*Give or take 7 minutes.

nerraw1111 wrote: »

I need to be back in Dublin ASAP after the race and there's a train at 11.35am from Maynooth. Given I'm hoping to finish the race in around 12.36*, does that leave me enough time to make the train?

*Give or take 7 minutes.

It's not far, a 10-12 minute walk. If you continue running you'd easily cover the distance in 5 mins. You should be fine if the race starts on time.

nerraw1111 wrote: »

*Give or take 7 minutes.
    Sandwell wrote: »
    It's not far, a 10-12 minute walk. If you continue running you'd easily cover the distance in 5 mins. You should be fine if the race starts on time.

We aim to start the race bang on time, however you know yourself there could be a couple of minutes delay. Start and finish area are right beside one another. If you leave you gear at the start you could easily walk to the station in plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

Roadrunner is this anywhere near filling up? Won't know whether I can do it until the middle of next week.

• Advertisement

Sprocket77 wrote: »
    Roadrunner is this anywhere near filling up? Won't know whether I can do it until the middle of next week.

Haven't been able to check entry numbers in the last week or so as my partner in crime is away on holidays but at a guess I'd say you should be OK. PM me your details and I can set an entry aside if you want to be doubly sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Cheers lads. Will more than likely give this a whirl.

Just a quick note to say registration closes this Friday. Online registration can be found here. Please register early if you are planning on running as we are finalising catering etc today/tomorrow.

Remember that registration is in the sports hall on the North campus. Follow the signs in Maynooth. Parking is free on campus at the weekend. Drivers should park in carpark 4 as that is directly behind the sports hall. This is also well sign posted.

The race itself is on the south campus and is a 5 minute jog from the registration hall.

I was out on the course this morning and it's in great nick. Weather conditions for Saturday morning are perfect so hopefully everyone can run a PB.

If anybody has any questions or needs additional directions give me a shout.

Cheers
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

3 stars (average)
    Just signed up
    Hoping for a good gallop and some great cakes after (here's hoping LeCheile AC's legendary post race spread is repeated here.....)

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Just signed up
    Hoping for a good gallop and some great cakes after (here's hoping LeCheile AC's legendary post race spread is repeated here.....)

It will be very hard to top Le Cheile's spread but we've done some shopping and there will be more than enough grub to send you home fatter than when you arrived :)

We're offering a time bonus for both the first place male and female finishers of €400 if they win breaking the following times:
    Male: 15:00
    Female: 15:50

Just to say online registration is 15 euro compared to on the day registration @ 20 euro, so register ASAP and save yourself a fiver!

online regiustration can be found here

Cheers
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

3 stars (average)
    It will be very hard to top Le Cheile's spread but we've done some shopping and there will be more than enough grub to send you home fatter than when you arrived :)

This is very relevant (cakes/fatness), its one of the many reasons for racing and I'm surprised more event organisers don't take it into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    This is very relevant (cakes/fatness), its one of the many reasons for racing and I'm surprised more event organisers don't take it into account.

And there was even a "best practice photo guide" from Le Cheile on RacePix to help guide the organisers on the array of goodies that should be considered... :D

:)http://www.racepix.com/Leixlip2011/racephotos/463/photo/154/

:):)http://www.racepix.com/Leixlip2011/racephotos/463/photo/151/

:):):)http://www.racepix.com/Leixlip2011/racephotos/463/photo/147/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

3 stars (average)
    I'm prb doing too many races at the minute, but will give this one a shot! Cya all there Sat!

4 stars (good)
    Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm prb doing too many races at the minute, but will give this one a shot! Cya all there Sat!

Good man see you there so I signed up during the week:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

3 stars (average)
    Ha, hmm ok no trashtalk from me before this race ha, have had 2 rubbish weeks of training so duno where I am at the minute.

4 stars (good)
    Ha, hmm ok no trashtalk from me before this race ha, have had 2 rubbish weeks of training so duno where I am at the minute.

Might work well as a taper considering your race load over the summer;)

• Advertisement

Bull he emailed earlier asking was the time bonus given in cash or cheque form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

4 stars (good)
    Just signed up for this as my first 5K. Doing it as part of my P&D 55 mile training for NY marathon, just a little unsure how to pace a 5K- go out hard and hold on as long as possible or pick a pace I know I can keep and stick to it?? Macmillan has me at 22:09 off my last marathon (3:36 in Cork this year) so that's 7:08 min/miles
    Any thoughts and advise appreciated.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Just signed up for this as my first 5K. Doing it as part of my P&D 55 mile training for NY marathon, just a little unsure how to pace a 5K- go out hard and hold on as long as possible or pick a pace I know I can keep and stick to it?? Macmillan has me at 22:09 off my last marathon (3:36 in Cork this year) so that's 7:08 min/miles
    Any thoughts and advise appreciated.

Have you ran anything shorter than a marathon in recent months? If not what sort of paces have you been holding for your training runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

4 stars (good)
    Have you ran anything shorter than a marathon in recent months? If not what sort of paces have you been holding for your training runs?

No shorter distances run of late, the 12 week P&D plan has gone well. Here are the splits from my 1200m reps, not sure how good an indicator they'd be for a 5k?

Split T Dis Avg Pace
    1) 4:48.7/ 0.75/ 6:25.0
    2) 2:14.6/ 0.25/ 8:59.0
    3) 4:55.9/ 0.75/ 6:34.6
    4) 2:15.8/ 0.25/ 9:03.6
    5) 5:02.6/ 0.75/ 6:43.4
    6) 2:27.2/ 0.25/ 9:49.6
    7) 5:05.0/ 0.75/ 6:46.7
    8) 2:14. / 0.25/ 8:58.3
    T) 29:04.6/ 4.00/ 7:16.2

Hi Sideswipe

It's very hard to advise somebody what pace to set off at when you haven't seen a consistent set of training/racing data but based on your marathon time and intervals below I'd head off at 6.50 pace. I think you should be more than comfortable at this pace, if you're feeling good push on the last 2k to 1 mile.

You'll kno yourself after 1k if this is too fast/slow and can adjust accordingly. The thing about 5ks though is to get out fast and try and hold on for dear life.

Hope it goes well for you
    Dave
    sideswipe wrote: »
    No shorter distances run of late, the 12 week P&D plan has gone well. Here are the splits from my 1200m reps, not sure how good an indicator they'd be for a 5k?

Split T Dis Avg Pace
    1) 4:48.7/ 0.75/ 6:25.0
    2) 2:14.6/ 0.25/ 8:59.0
    3) 4:55.9/ 0.75/ 6:34.6
    4) 2:15.8/ 0.25/ 9:03.6
    5) 5:02.6/ 0.75/ 6:43.4
    6) 2:27.2/ 0.25/ 9:49.6
    7) 5:05.0/ 0.75/ 6:46.7
    8) 2:14. / 0.25/ 8:58.3
    T) 29:04.6/ 4.00/ 7:16.2

Quick update. Registered runners will get an email tomorrow with final race instructions etc. Just remember that parking is free of the north campus and is right beside registration. Avoid the south campus at all cost. They clamp non-permit cars unless you are in a pay and display area.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

After much procrastination finally signed up for this, it was the promise of a good spread that got me over the line, better be good now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

3 stars (average)
    Quick update. Registered runners will get an email tomorrow with final race instructions etc. Just remember that parking is free of the north campus and is right beside registration. Avoid the south campus at all cost. They clamp non-permit cars unless you are in a pay and display area.

Dave

Dave - will this be well sign posted?

4 stars (good)
    Pronator wrote: »

The College is very well signposted all the way from the turn off from the motorway

Pronator wrote: »

Yep very well signposted. Just remember you are heading to north campus. Ill be out nice and early with race signage to make sure nobody gets lost.

• Advertisement
Advertisement