Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RacePix.com is 3! 5km Fun Run & Race. Sat 22nd October 11am

• 17-08-2011 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭

To celebrate RacePix.com's 3rd Birthday. In association with Le Cheile AC we are organising a 5km Fun Run and Race in NUI Maynooth on Saturday, 22nd October 2011 at 11am.

Race registration and changing/shower facilities are on the North campus in the college's sports hall. The race itself will be run on picturesque grounds of the South campus (5 minute walk from registration).

Post race refreshments including birthday cake ;) will be back in the sports hall.

All relevant information can be found on the race website here

PM me if you require any additional information.
    Cheers
    Dave & Darren

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 14 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    64%
    groovygshels4evermenoscemoecolipad-camgerard65sideswipeSureWhyNot!Tom Joad 9 votes
    3 stars (average)
    28%
    TimmaayW.B. Yeatsronnie085Pronator 4 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    7%
    jillywilly 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'm in RoadRunner, only live ten mins away. Best of luck wit the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

3 stars (average)
    Perfect timing for a Pre-Dublin race:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Is this 5k on grass or tarmac or a mixture of both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

chinguetti wrote: »
    tarmac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

4 stars (good)

Its on Tarmac. Route is as flat as a pancake few sharp corners (around the orchard IIRC) but still should be fast. I used to run the colleges road relays out there and like the loop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

ecoli wrote: »
    Its on Tarmac. Route is as flat as a pancake few sharp corners (around the orchard IIRC) but still should be fast. I used to run the colleges road relays out there and like the loop.

Yes it's all on Tarmac. One sharp turn at the orchard all right, its a little different to road relay loop as we have removed some of the tight corners on that loop. It is a very fast lap. It's all on the college grounds as well so will be totally traffic free.

Course has been accurately measured by ultraman1 (and subsequently checked by my gamin on a few occasions :D) so a big thank you to him for his time and expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

4 stars (good)
    Is this in the same area of the campus as the BHAA XC race in March?

gerard65 wrote: »
    Is this in the same area of the campus as the BHAA XC race in March?

Yep same side of the campus. All on tarmac though obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

So you used us all as guinea pigs in Maynooth last November in the Boards AC race. I feel so used :p

So you used us all as guinea pigs in Maynooth last November in the Boards AC race. I feel so used :p

Yep that was my thinking last year. Have a much better finishing area this year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yep that was my thinking last year. Have a much better finishing area this year :)

So everyone that ran last year gets free entry yeah? And 2 free pints in the pub afterwards ;)

Agree with the finish area alright. Always thought the universities road relays was a bit cramped at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

So everyone that ran last year gets free entry yeah? And 2 free pints in the pub afterwards ;)

Agree with the finish area alright. Always thought the universities road relays was a bit cramped at the finish line.

I like this idea very much!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

4 stars (good)
    Anyone else doing this one, just registered for it this morning. Initial plan was to have a crack at a sub 20 and things are looking good., Ran the course a few months ago with the Boards crew and it is a fast course. Anyone else thinking about running close to that time, maybe get a good group to work together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

4 stars (good)
    shels4ever wrote: »
    Anyone else doing this one, just registered for it this morning. Initial plan was to have a crack at a sub 20 and things are looking good., Ran the course a few months ago with the Boards crew and it is a fast course. Anyone else thinking about running close to that time, maybe get a good group to work together.

Just heard about this and can't wait - went to college in Maynooth so perfect excuse to go back down memory lane.. :D Done my first sub 45min 10k this year so would love to have a crack at a sub 20. Am new to this site so would be great chance to learn something from the boards pros!

Maybe the organisers could sort a sub 20 pacer? ;)

4 stars (good)
    I'm signed up a few weeks now. Looking forward to it. I'll do the sub 20 pacing - for a fee.

I'm signed up a few weeks now. Looking forward to it. I'll do the sub 20 pacing - for free.

4 stars (good)
    I'm signed up a few weeks now. Looking forward to it. I'll do the sub 20 pacing - for a fee.
    Sounds like a good idea... but last time I was following you I ended up not finishing, might need to run a few seconds infront.

4 stars (good)

What time do you think you will run for this? Just getting under 20 or giving it a lash?

4 stars (good)
    What time do you think you will run for this? Just getting under 20 or giving it a lash?
    Not sure if I'll make it, achilles is still a problem. Advise was to rest for two weeks and then see how it is. So I'll decide early next week, but if I make it I'll aim for 20mins, don't want to run flatout yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I think mrs Jones might be doing this next week ! For a change I'll stand there with the Kids:)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I'm going to have a go at this one too. It'll be my first time running in a 5k. Aiming for sub 20, maybe even sub 19 if things go particularly well. I went to college there too so it'll be nice to pay it a visit. The old campus is lovely.

Sandwell wrote: »
    I'm going to have a go at this one too. It'll be my first time running in a 5k. Aiming for sub 20, maybe even sub 19 if things go particularly well. I went to college there too so it'll be nice to pay it a visit. The old campus is lovely.

It really is. I was running over there yesterday myself and it is beautiful at this time of year. Route takes in this! PS if you can register soon as we need to finalise numbers for chips and catering. See you next week nui_maynooth_6.jpg

It really is. I was running over there yesterday myself and it is beautiful at this time of year. Route takes in this! PS if you can register soon as we need to finalise numbers for chips and catering. See you next week nui_maynooth_6.jpg

I'm registered already, although I can see how that wasn't clear from my previous post. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Mmmm...chips...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Anyone know how close the train station is to the start/finish?

I need to be back in Dublin ASAP after the race and there's a train at 11.35am from Maynooth. Given I'm hoping to finish the race in around 12.36*, does that leave me enough time to make the train?

*Give or take 7 minutes.

nerraw1111 wrote: »

I need to be back in Dublin ASAP after the race and there's a train at 11.35am from Maynooth. Given I'm hoping to finish the race in around 12.36*, does that leave me enough time to make the train?

*Give or take 7 minutes.

It's not far, a 10-12 minute walk. If you continue running you'd easily cover the distance in 5 mins. You should be fine if the race starts on time.

nerraw1111 wrote: »

*Give or take 7 minutes.
    Sandwell wrote: »
    It's not far, a 10-12 minute walk. If you continue running you'd easily cover the distance in 5 mins. You should be fine if the race starts on time.

We aim to start the race bang on time, however you know yourself there could be a couple of minutes delay. Start and finish area are right beside one another. If you leave you gear at the start you could easily walk to the station in plenty of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

Roadrunner is this anywhere near filling up? Won't know whether I can do it until the middle of next week.

• Advertisement

Sprocket77 wrote: »
    Roadrunner is this anywhere near filling up? Won't know whether I can do it until the middle of next week.

Haven't been able to check entry numbers in the last week or so as my partner in crime is away on holidays but at a guess I'd say you should be OK. PM me your details and I can set an entry aside if you want to be doubly sure.

Advertisement