Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RacePix.com is 3! 5km Fun Run & Race. Sat 22nd October 11am

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Cheers lads. Will more than likely give this a whirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Just a quick note to say registration closes this Friday. Online registration can be found here. Please register early if you are planning on running as we are finalising catering etc today/tomorrow.

Remember that registration is in the sports hall on the North campus. Follow the signs in Maynooth. Parking is free on campus at the weekend. Drivers should park in carpark 4 as that is directly behind the sports hall. This is also well sign posted.

The race itself is on the south campus and is a 5 minute jog from the registration hall.

I was out on the course this morning and it's in great nick. Weather conditions for Saturday morning are perfect so hopefully everyone can run a PB.

If anybody has any questions or needs additional directions give me a shout.

Cheers
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

3 stars (average)
    Just signed up
    Hoping for a good gallop and some great cakes after (here's hoping LeCheile AC's legendary post race spread is repeated here.....)

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Just signed up
    Hoping for a good gallop and some great cakes after (here's hoping LeCheile AC's legendary post race spread is repeated here.....)

It will be very hard to top Le Cheile's spread but we've done some shopping and there will be more than enough grub to send you home fatter than when you arrived :)

We're offering a time bonus for both the first place male and female finishers of €400 if they win breaking the following times:
    Male: 15:00
    Female: 15:50

Just to say online registration is 15 euro compared to on the day registration @ 20 euro, so register ASAP and save yourself a fiver!

online regiustration can be found here

Cheers
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

3 stars (average)
    It will be very hard to top Le Cheile's spread but we've done some shopping and there will be more than enough grub to send you home fatter than when you arrived :)

This is very relevant (cakes/fatness), its one of the many reasons for racing and I'm surprised more event organisers don't take it into account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    This is very relevant (cakes/fatness), its one of the many reasons for racing and I'm surprised more event organisers don't take it into account.

And there was even a "best practice photo guide" from Le Cheile on RacePix to help guide the organisers on the array of goodies that should be considered... :D

:)http://www.racepix.com/Leixlip2011/racephotos/463/photo/154/

:):)http://www.racepix.com/Leixlip2011/racephotos/463/photo/151/

:):):)http://www.racepix.com/Leixlip2011/racephotos/463/photo/147/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

3 stars (average)
    I'm prb doing too many races at the minute, but will give this one a shot! Cya all there Sat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

4 stars (good)
    Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm prb doing too many races at the minute, but will give this one a shot! Cya all there Sat!

Good man see you there so I signed up during the week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

3 stars (average)
    Ha, hmm ok no trashtalk from me before this race ha, have had 2 rubbish weeks of training so duno where I am at the minute.

4 stars (good)
    Ha, hmm ok no trashtalk from me before this race ha, have had 2 rubbish weeks of training so duno where I am at the minute.

Might work well as a taper considering your race load over the summer;)

• Advertisement

Bull he emailed earlier asking was the time bonus given in cash or cheque form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

4 stars (good)
    Just signed up for this as my first 5K. Doing it as part of my P&D 55 mile training for NY marathon, just a little unsure how to pace a 5K- go out hard and hold on as long as possible or pick a pace I know I can keep and stick to it?? Macmillan has me at 22:09 off my last marathon (3:36 in Cork this year) so that's 7:08 min/miles
    Any thoughts and advise appreciated.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Just signed up for this as my first 5K. Doing it as part of my P&D 55 mile training for NY marathon, just a little unsure how to pace a 5K- go out hard and hold on as long as possible or pick a pace I know I can keep and stick to it?? Macmillan has me at 22:09 off my last marathon (3:36 in Cork this year) so that's 7:08 min/miles
    Any thoughts and advise appreciated.

Have you ran anything shorter than a marathon in recent months? If not what sort of paces have you been holding for your training runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

4 stars (good)
    Have you ran anything shorter than a marathon in recent months? If not what sort of paces have you been holding for your training runs?

No shorter distances run of late, the 12 week P&D plan has gone well. Here are the splits from my 1200m reps, not sure how good an indicator they'd be for a 5k?

Split T Dis Avg Pace
    1) 4:48.7/ 0.75/ 6:25.0
    2) 2:14.6/ 0.25/ 8:59.0
    3) 4:55.9/ 0.75/ 6:34.6
    4) 2:15.8/ 0.25/ 9:03.6
    5) 5:02.6/ 0.75/ 6:43.4
    6) 2:27.2/ 0.25/ 9:49.6
    7) 5:05.0/ 0.75/ 6:46.7
    8) 2:14. / 0.25/ 8:58.3
    T) 29:04.6/ 4.00/ 7:16.2

Hi Sideswipe

It's very hard to advise somebody what pace to set off at when you haven't seen a consistent set of training/racing data but based on your marathon time and intervals below I'd head off at 6.50 pace. I think you should be more than comfortable at this pace, if you're feeling good push on the last 2k to 1 mile.

You'll kno yourself after 1k if this is too fast/slow and can adjust accordingly. The thing about 5ks though is to get out fast and try and hold on for dear life.

Hope it goes well for you
    Dave
    sideswipe wrote: »
    No shorter distances run of late, the 12 week P&D plan has gone well. Here are the splits from my 1200m reps, not sure how good an indicator they'd be for a 5k?

Split T Dis Avg Pace
    1) 4:48.7/ 0.75/ 6:25.0
    2) 2:14.6/ 0.25/ 8:59.0
    3) 4:55.9/ 0.75/ 6:34.6
    4) 2:15.8/ 0.25/ 9:03.6
    5) 5:02.6/ 0.75/ 6:43.4
    6) 2:27.2/ 0.25/ 9:49.6
    7) 5:05.0/ 0.75/ 6:46.7
    8) 2:14. / 0.25/ 8:58.3
    T) 29:04.6/ 4.00/ 7:16.2

Quick update. Registered runners will get an email tomorrow with final race instructions etc. Just remember that parking is free of the north campus and is right beside registration. Avoid the south campus at all cost. They clamp non-permit cars unless you are in a pay and display area.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

After much procrastination finally signed up for this, it was the promise of a good spread that got me over the line, better be good now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

3 stars (average)
    Quick update. Registered runners will get an email tomorrow with final race instructions etc. Just remember that parking is free of the north campus and is right beside registration. Avoid the south campus at all cost. They clamp non-permit cars unless you are in a pay and display area.

Dave

Dave - will this be well sign posted?

4 stars (good)
    Pronator wrote: »

The College is very well signposted all the way from the turn off from the motorway

Pronator wrote: »

Yep very well signposted. Just remember you are heading to north campus. Ill be out nice and early with race signage to make sure nobody gets lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 pad-cam

4 stars (good)
    thanks to darren dave and all the helpers for a great race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

3 stars (average)
    Enjoyed that, good fast course, well apart from the wind, getting used to that now. Only downside was the 10 min delay at the start but couldn't be helped by the sounds of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I assume that photos of this race are going to appear? ;)

It's great that RacePix is now doing it's own race, would have liked to have run this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Really enjoyed the race and nice to bag a PB for the first time in a while.

Course would be very fast if it wasn't for the wind, but nothing the organisers can do about that. Otherwise a nice friendly, well organised race and a nice spread afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Yeah, really enjoyed that myself. It was my first time running a 5k and I was delighted with my time. I've now got a decent PB to target for next year. Hadn't time to head for the refreshments afterwards. I hope they lived up to the hype on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

4 stars (good)
    Very enjoyable race in a great setting. Loads of rubbish to eat afterwards:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done to Darren and Dave, great race that was well run. Great flat course that has pb potential written all over it, not for me today unfortunately. Heres looking forward to next year.

4 stars (good)
    gerard65 wrote: »
    Very enjoyable race in a great setting. Loads of rubbish to eat afterwards:D

Raging I missed that had to pop off straight after the race so didnt even get back to the sporthall after the race:(

Very enjoyable race good course (even though not a fan of laps at the best of times with congestion) and well done to the ROs as everything which was within their control (which doesn't include the Chip timing company who failed to turn up on the day:mad:) was very well run

Wind was tough enough and time was slower than I woud have liked but comparing time difference between me and few people I race they seem to be about the same gap so happy enough overall with run

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

See some photographs appearing on RacePix now...

http://www.racepix.com/RacePix-is-3/racephotos/581/

Think they originate on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/peterm7 .... well if you cannot see photographs from the RacePix race ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

4 stars (good)
    Fair play to all organisers excellent race - really well organised and loads of people out cheering on. Unfortunately I was under time pressure so couldn't head to the sportshall for the goodies.

I heard about the chiptiming company not showing - not a lot can be done about that - does this mean that there will be no results online?

Was going all out for a sub 20 and missed it by 10 seconds - not too dissapointed overall, wouldn't even try to blame the wind, - was carrying a slight injury so sub 20 was never going to happen. Started out fairly fast and felt good up to 4km - after that was a bit of a disaster and ended up out on my own for the last km which felt odd, ended up taking a walk as injury was playing up but when someone caught up with me got going again. - I know I have a sub 20 in me now :)

Advertisement