Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

Would you count Holles Street? Wouldn't that be a bit of a walk if you were, for example, going into labour? And would you count the Eye and Ear as a 'major' hospital?

Also, I understood one of the reasons for the mater stop was that it was going to be the home of the new children's hospital, incorporating Temple Street. That is, Temple Street would become part of the Mater - one major hospital. No?

NO ONE CARES THIS ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN THE COUNTRY IS BUST U BUNCH OF DREAMERS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

T2daK wrote: »

Mod

Verging on trolling here here, in future please put a bit more effort into your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

dubhthach wrote: »
    Mod

Verging on trolling here here, in future please put a bit more effort into your posts.

I'm not modding dubhthach, but the poster has a point even if it is devoid of any further detail. Personally I believe its only fair to allow anger and angst. (even if it is merely a fleeting, but accurate comment) Many people feel really aggrieved by how PT has been let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ah come off it.

Is that the sort of level you want discussion on here at? :(

Caps lock on and textspeak? :rolleyes:

Well done mod.

Well if you want it to be a private little club, where some randomer can't pop in and state an opinion which isn't actually wrong, then so be it. If the warning was about caps and text speak, I wouldn't have commented. A lot of ordinary people that aren't regular visitors to this forum are very angry about the highly likely suspension or possible abandonment of MN and DU. In their eyes they see discussion about these projects (as if they are going ahead) a waste of time.

I have made similarly short negative comments on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If the Government goes ahead with Luas BXD will it definitely be the death of MN?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you count Holles Street? Wouldn't that be a bit of a walk if you were, for example, going into labour?
    I'm not sure if travelling by metro in such a situation is appropriate. :)

People go to Holles Street for more things than just the delivery. Not alone would there be a number of pre- and post-natal check-ups, but you also have staff and visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

Wah wah wah, "dis country iz ****, so effin oirish" "im emigrating, this country is stifling my brilliance". Shut up tbh.

If people want to talk about the project, they will, nobody gives a shíte if your melancholy disapproves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭xper

NO ONE CARES
    That's patently untrue
    THIS ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN THE COUNTRY IS BUST
    That's very probably true.
    U BUNCH OF DREAMERS
    That's insulting to participants in the thread. Its perfectly possible to discuss aspects of a proposed project in the full knowledge that it may well get shelved/binned in the near future. Everyone should be able do what they want with their free time without being subject to abuse.

Mod is perfctly correct to call it out imho.

xper wrote: »
    That's insulting to participants in the thread. Its perfectly possible to discuss aspects of a proposed project in the full knowledge that it may well get shelved/binned in the near future. Everyone should be able do what they want with their free time without being subject to abuse.

With all due respect its not insulting. Its an opinion and those that wish to discuss the project should be willing to accept that it is open to criticism on the basis of it being very much likely in the postponed/abandoned bin. Internet forums like this are a very real encyclopedia of the future (whether you realise it or not) and should contain all aspects of the debate. The randomer that posted above may never come back, but the point made in text speak and caps is actually representative of what many are saying on the streets, in pubs/restaurants and office blocks all over Dublin.

Listen and you will hear. Type and you will only see what you want to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure if travelling by metro in such a situation is appropriate. :)

People go to Holles Street for more things than just the delivery. Not alone would there be a number of pre- and post-natal check-ups, but you also have staff and visitors.
    I'm certainly no pregnant mother and I would still not expect anyone to travel to Holles St by a metro station in Stephen's Green. I went through Holles St. to where I live and it would be a full 15 minute walk to reach the main entrance of the Green, where the Luas stop is. There are frequent buses from Merrion Square on a wide range of routes in comparison, and the Dart Underground will have an entrance on Sandwith St., pretty much a two minute walk from Holles St. hospital. That is, if the DU is ever built...

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Ah now Derek, I rarely disagree with you, but you being a bit silly now. Your making a big deal out of nothing. :D

Now don't get me wrong, we've all had an short outburst out of pure anger and frustration, myself definitely included. We got a ticking off by a Mod and that was the end on the matter. All involved moved on. I'm really surprised by your reaction, especially when you read the total contribution by T2daK to this particular topic.
    why are ye still talking about this as if we have the money. wasting your fingers time typing
    half the population will have emigrated no need to build this metro
    why are we still talking about this obviously not going to happen

I can see why some people could see this user as trolling. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

I'm certainly no pregnant mother and I would still not expect anyone to travel to Holles St by a metro station in Stephen's Green. I went through Holles St. to where I live and it would be a full 15 minute walk to reach the main entrance of the Green, where the Luas stop is. There are frequent buses from Merrion Square on a wide range of routes in comparison, and the Dart Underground will have an entrance on Sandwith St., pretty much a two minute walk from Holles St. hospital. That is, if the DU is ever built...

The National Transport Authority's journey planner has that walk at 1.355 km. The direct route, if one could do it, is marginally under 1 km, but the figures there would indicate a circular catchment area for St. Stephen's Green of an area greater than the City of London (with its 12 tube stations and 3 overground termini).

So Holles Street is unlikely to be one of the four major hospitals. I was wondering if the Bon Secour in Glasnevin might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

Or maybe there's codology like 'the mater' and 'the mater private' being separate hospitals. I'd forgotten that possibility.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

A bit of filler in The Indo:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/project-first-mooted-in-2001-report-2841505.html
    THE idea of a metro from the city centre to Dublin Airport was originally referred to in the city transportation office's 'Platform for Change' document in 2001.

The project has divided political and public opinion as cost estimates swung wildly between €2.5bn and €4bn.

The proposed route of Metro North covers 16.5km and has 14 stops between Swords and the city centre.

These stops were due to be located at St Stephen's Green, O'Connell Bridge, Parnell Square, Mater Hospital, Drumcondra, Griffith Avenue, Dublin City University, Ballymun, Northwood, Dardistown, Dublin Airport, Fosterstown, Swords, and Estuary.

All of the planning and preparatory work has been completed, including underground tests and the property purchases.

But, crucially, no construction work has started as the contract has not received Government approval.

The project was pushed hard by former Transport Minister Noel Dempsey.

But in April his successor, Leo Varadkar, said that Metro North and the DART underground were unlikely to go ahead.

He later said the Government was carrying out a "comprehensive spending review" and hoped to have a decision

I do think it's slightly unfair to paint Noel Dempsey as the guy who was really pushing for it, because it never once felt like he had any real intention of actually getting it built. He might've said it, but then, he said a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Haha that's hi-larious. Noel Dempsey/FF the unsung heroes and their good honest hard work spoiled by FG/Lab.

Delusions of grandeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

Metro North We would not agree with the description of the Metro North route as “ill fated”. The Metro North route which has been approved by An Bord Pleanála, has been identified as the backbone of Dublin’s transport infrastructure in a succession of... transport and land use strategies for the Dublin city region. There has been a consistent theme through many years of land use and transport planning that the greatest transport deficit has been on the north side of Dublin City and County and Metro North addresses that deficit.

To facilitate securing the railway order it was necessary to purchase a number of properties which are required for the construction phase of the project. It was never envisaged that RPA would take possession of the properties immediately as there was always going to be a time lag before construction commenced so short-term lettings are both prudent and appropriate.

It is important to bear in mind that Metro North is a long term investment which will benefit the country not just this century but for centuries to come. The investment to date and the future investment required must be seen in that context. In this context it should be noted that the London Underground Metropolitan Line opened in 1863 and is still delivering benefits today to the travelling public. RPA’s property investment is essential in order to construct the Metro line and like the Tube in London (and the Paris Metro etc.) it will be delivering benefits to the travelling public long into the future.
    See more
    19 hours ago

reply from the rpa

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Four terraced houses on St Alphonsus Avenue were bought for between €623,000 and €661,000.

A similar house on the road is on the market with an asking price of €270,000.

Eight of the the properties are now being let by the RPA while two others are on the rental market. But so far the agency has only taken in rent of €62,000 -- after spending €200,000 on refurbishment.

:facepalm:

It's nobody's fault really, they purchased when they thought that was the value... but it's difficult to read those kind of figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

:facepalm:

It's nobody's fault really, they purchased when they thought that was the value... but it's difficult to read those kind of figures.

I wonder does anyone in the Indo see the irony in complaining about the high market prices that the RPA had to pay circa 2006-2008 to buy up property along the Metro route - given that the Indo did its fair share in ramping up and sustaining the property bubble and said high market prices...?

• Advertisement

Jack Noble wrote: »
    I wonder does anyone in the Indo see the irony in complaining about the high market prices that the RPA had to pay circa 2006-2008 to buy up property along the Metro route - given that the Indo did its fair share in ramping up and sustaining the property bubble and said high market prices...?

I don't see the irony, but I do see the hypocrisy.

Jack Noble wrote: »

A fair point Jack, but considering the bigger picture here, it's rather mute. The bottom line has been reached and we await the Government announcement. You know what my call is.:D

It's nobody's fault really

Wasn't that Fianna Fail's election campaign slogan?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is important to bear in mind that Metro North is a long term investment which will benefit the country not just this century but for centuries to come. The investment to date and the future investment required must be seen in that context. In this context it should be noted that the London Underground Metropolitan Line opened in 1863 and is still delivering benefits today to the travelling public.

Interesting, it seems the RPA do read these forums. I made this comment almost word for word over on the C&T forum about a year ago.

But it is true. The cost of MN will be paid for over 30 years, but we will likely be still benefiting from it 100 years from now and we should really be looking at it from that context.

We should be, but politicans look at it and think:Will starting this get me re-elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

bk wrote: »
    But it is true. The cost of MN will be paid for over 30 years, but we will likely be still benefiting from it 100 years from now and we should really be looking at it from that context.

Sorry but every time i hear this argument I hear the Monorail song.

Anyhow on to a serious point.

This is a local rail link not a national project. It connects the city center to a hospital, a college, Ballymun and Swords. D.C.C. & Fingal Co Co should be funding this not the national government.

I can't see any great numbers using this for airport traffic, there are too many other good services that connect to the airport from the city center as it is. The only thing that this might do is force down costs on the other services, more likely the price of MN will be pitched to about the same cost as the existing services.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

antoobrien wrote: »
    This is a local rail link not a national project. It connects the city center to a hospital, a college, Ballymun and Swords. D.C.C. & Fingal Co Co should be funding this not the national government.

As Dublin has well over a third of the national population and is at the center of the Irish economy and supports the rest of the country, any infrastructure project in Dublin is fundamentally a national project.

Going by your logic, then the Western Rail Corridor should have been funded by the counties of the west and the motorway network by the counties they go through.

I actually would support this idea if it meant the County Councils could raise the tax rather then the government. It would result in more tax money staying in Dublin, projects wasteful of tax money like the WRC not going ahead and would make MN and DU much more likely to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yeah the idea of people down the country being up in arms about "national" funding for a Dublin project is a perfect example of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

bk wrote: »
    The cost of MN will be paid for over 30 years, but we will likely be still benefiting from it 100 years from now and we should really be looking at it from that context.

This argument can be made about Dart Underground, any of the many proposed Luas lines or practically every other capital investment to improve the country's infrastructure.

I always thought that building Metro North with a terminus in the city centre was a mistake when transport planning in the city (and the country) should be getting away from "An Lar-ism". Of course, it would've still been a worthwhile project despite the monumental cost back when times were good. Building it now, when the country can't even afford to borrow money on the open market, is just living in cloud cuckoo-land.

At a time when Dublin Bus, the main provider of public transport in the city, is scaling back services due to a fall in demand triggered by the recession I think Dubliners can well afford to wait for the bailout period to expire before we revisit this Celtic Tiger vanity project.

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »
    At a time when Dublin Bus, the main provider of public transport in the city, is scaling back services due to a fall in demand triggered by the recession I think Dubliners can well afford to wait for the bailout period to expire before we revisit this Celtic Tiger vanity project.

Funny how every other Dublin-sized city in Western Europe sees metro systems as essential. Ah, they must all be wrong though..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement