Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KIERAN2400 wrote: »

Well to look at the flagship service Dublin - Cork, The Bus Eireann service takes 4Hours 25 mins and only runs every 2 hours from 8:00 to 18:00. And I know from my Bus knowledge, The Dublin - Cork Bus service aint going to change anytime soon! On this route really the Train has a complete monopoly. Anyone really that is going to go from Cork - Dublin, The Train enters their head first. Itis the first choice. Whenever any of my agegrup at least want to go to Dublin, Its Irishrail.ie straightaway!

Why? What special knowledge do you have that the Cork to Dublin bus services aren't going to change?

All it takes is the NTA to license a private bus operator like GoBus or Citylink to run a direct, non stop bus service on the Cork to Dublin motorway and you know have a bus service that can do the journey in 3 hours.

I can't think of a single reason why the NTA wouldn't license such a service or a single reason why a private bus operator wouldn't jump at the opportunity.

If you can please tell me?

The only reason I can think of it not happening is political interference to help protect Irish Rails and Bus Eireanns business.

As for all your other blah, blah about faster trains, the reality is that IR have shown no ability at all of improving their schedule. In fact the Cork to Dublin train schedule has been getting slower on average over the last 20 years, not faster. The reality on the ground today is that the average Cork to Dublin speed is 2 hours 47 minutes. And IR are losing customers at a frightening rate to the motorways.

If Irish Rail can get the schedule down to 2 hours 15 minutes, without anymore tax payers money, then brilliant, do it, now.

What I object to would be IR going looking for millions more taxpayers money to make the trains a little faster, not when we have a perfectly good alternative.

I'm not for a moment suggesting closing the intercity rail network.

What I am suggesting is the following:
    1) Private bus operators (at last two per route) be licensed for direct non stop bus services on each of the motorways, today please.
    2) Not a euro more of taxpayers money be spent (wasted) on intercity rail beyond what is needed for safety works.
    3) Subsidies of Irish Rail intercity services be reduced and eventually abolished.

In other words let intercity rail pay for itself and live off it's own back. Intercity rail is no longer of economic or social importance and therefore should not be subsidised. Let it compete fairly with private bus operators. Let it sink or swim.

Funny thing is, what I'm saying above is going to happen anyway. Due to our current economic troubles the government is unlikely to invest anymore in intercity rail and the subsidies to Irish Rail are likely to be aggressively cut. They may even privatise IR and BE.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BTW KIERAN2400, here is the difference between you and me.

I'm not a fan (nor am I a hater) of rail, plane, bus or car.

Unlike you I don't have any family history in rail or any particular love for it as some people here seem to show.

I'm simply and engineer with an interest in infrastructure and public transport. I just want ot get people from A to B in the most efficient, environmentally friendly and cost effective manner possible.

I look at this very coldly and logically, I couldn't care less about the emotional history of rail. How I look at it, is from the point of view of the bigger economic situation we are in and how do we get the best bang for the little buck we have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I laugh when people say you need 1 Billion to achieve those times above!

Don't laugh, that's how much that IE advertised they were spending on the current upgrade works (no links, just my memory of IEs billboards in Ceannt station in Galway 10 years ago). They've failed to improve the stock and tracks to a point where they were able to keep the previous speeds.

If rail is to survive (i.e. be economical) it has two address two major issues (examples are intercity not local, sorry mods):
    Cost - Galway is €45 - GoBus is €20
    Timing - GoBus is scheduled for 2h 30 minutes (often takes less), train is scheduled for between 2h 15 and 2h 40m (often takes more time).

The observations on the timings of the buses and trains is from my own experience of traveling between Galway and Dublin of the past 5.5 years. The bus isn't nearly as much hassle, i.e. when I book a seat with gobus I get it not having to argue with some drunk arrogant twit that can't read and doesn't care to get a seat that I have spent money to assure me one.

At €74 for a return ticket to cork, I'd seriously consider flying if I didn't have a car (I do - it's a no brainer take the car).

Given all this I tend to agree with the poster who said that rail is be suited to large urban area commuting, as the intercity passenger and freight services are too inflexible. For freight it can be easier & faster to truck stuff from Tuam direct to Dublin than send it to Galway to get the train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I laugh when people say you need 1 Billion to achieve those times above! To deal with Dublin - Cork first, there is a major upgarde programme in progress over the last number of years and it is continuing apace. When all the restrictions are removed much faster journey times will be possible. There is only a few restrictions left actually. You would even notice it now while on the train. I was on the 18:00 to Cork recently and arrival time at the first stop Thurles is 19:23, it arrived at 19:13 after being stuck behind the 17;45 to Galway! Obviously we had to sit in Thurles for 10 minutes. It cant leave until the scheduled time. Of course whenever my Dad is driving that you dont arrive into Thurles early because he goes slower with the Train so as to avoid the wait! Many drivers do this. The same train after sitting in Thurles for 10 minutes was 5 minutes waiting in the Junction and was into Cork 5 minutes early after having the 10 mph restriction over the river at Buttevant. So improvments are now really coming on stream but the timetable will require a complete recasting. It is actually possible to do Dublin - Cork in 2 hours non stop! Many people dont beleive it but it is true. My dad almost did it before with a match special from Dublin - Cork. He had a clear run to Mallow but then got stuck behind a kerry train. The journey took 2 hours 7 mins, he said he could of done it in 2 hours only for that delay. So today with the extra improvments and say with the excellent acceleration of an ICR it could go no stop in just under 2 hours.

The reason Irish Rail don't increase the journey times is because they just gorge on the PSO contract and have no ambition to compete with other forms of transport. They have to achieve 90% punctuality and so just pad the timetable to meet this.
    PSO Contract

Punctuality

Intercity:
    (Dublin- Belfast, Dublin – Galway, Dublin – Rosslare, Dublin – Cork, Dublin – Westport/ Ballina, Dublin – Sligo, Dublin – Limerick, Dublin – Tralee, Dublin – Waterford):

90% of all InterCity services to arrive at their final destination on time or up to and including 10 minutes of their scheduled time. Punctuality performance measure is an aggregate of Intercity services
    http://www.nationaltransport.ie/downloads/contract_irishrail.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

crucamim wrote: »
    runway16 wrote: »

However, I'd like to take issue with your earlier, silly remark about Eirefolk and Ulsterfolk.

There was a need for my remark. The poster, to whom my remark was directed, had insulted me - without any provocation whatsoever. It says in the Bible "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth".

Fine, you wanted to get him
    Back. Understood.

Was there a need to insult the entire population of the Irish Republic in the process? No. No, there wasn't. Especially during a week when sections of Ulster Society have reverted to rioting, it's a bit rich to be giving lectures to us Eirefolk on our bad manners and alleged love of fighting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

Back. Understood.

Was there a need to insult the entire population of the Irish Republic in the process? No. No, there wasn't. Especially during a week when sections of Ulster Society have reverted to rioting, it's a bit rich to be giving lectures to us Eirefolk on our bad manners and alleged love of fighting!

I will not answer your points as I do not want to divert the thread. If you want to continue hostilities, please open a new thread on the subject of bad manners and the Eire love of aggro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Can we resist raking up the bible talk and north-southery please? That was several pages ago... let it go. Neither part of Ireland can claim to be any better or worse than the other part, since both are highly dysfunctional :)

I want to read about Metro North and related topics here, thank you.

Back. Understood.

I will not answer your points as I do not want to divert the thread. If you want to continue hostilities, please open a new thread on the subject of bad manners and the Eire love of aggro.

I was actually trying to appeal to your better nature in realising that simply because you had an issue with one person does not mean we In the south all love aggro. Clearly, it has fallen on deaf ears and been interpreted as "aggro".

No point discussing it further with you really.

Re this thread being about Metro, you could have fooled me! It's been all about intercity the last few pages! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

I was actually trying to appeal to your better nature in realising that simply because you had an issue with one person does not mean we In the south all love aggro. Clearly, it has fallen on deaf ears and been interpreted as "aggro".

No point discussing it further with you really.

Re this thread being about Metro, you could have fooled me! It's been all about intercity the last few pages! :-)

Mod
    Tbh I'm not all together sure what this has got to do with the topic of the thread let alone rail in this country. Folks If you have an issue with posts please report them using the "Report Post" button.

--

By the way you are missing a fada it's Éire not Eire -- they ain't the same word and don't have the same pronunciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

MYOB wrote: »
    How the jaysus do you expect to run a bus electrically from Dublin to Cork? Ten ten minute stops to have the entire battery changed each way?

Hey now read the whole post!!!!!!!!!!

And don't just cut out a snippet taking the whole thing out of context ... for jaysus sake. :rolleyes:

Acutally went to the bother of looking up the longest range electric bus available today:
    http://green.autoblog.com/2011/06/18/byd-to-supply-city-of-frankfurt-with-3-electric-ebus-12s/

300KM range, 30 minute charge time using their proprietary fast chargers.
    According to maps.bing.com, the distance from Cork to Dublin is approx 161.2KM.

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »

Mod Tbh I'm not all together sure what this has got to do with the topic of the thread let alone rail in this country.

I thought that I had already made that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

half the population will have emigrated no need to build this metro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Folks, this thread has gone wildly off-topic. I would ask you in the future to please report any post that you think is off-topic so that it can be nipped in the bud. Now, please focus on MN in this thread from now on, or I will delete posts and dole out infractions, or bans, or both. If you want to discuss any other aspects of rail, please start a new thread. This is the Metro North thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dynamick wrote: »
    To return to the topic of MN:
    RPA has released an updated redacted copy of the MN business case from Dec 2010
    http://www.rpa.ie/en/projects/metro_north/build_and_operation_permission/Pages/MetroNorthRedactedBusinessCase.aspx

It does not take into account the shock census results from two weeks ago when it was found that population in Ireland had grown by 341K since 2006. This comprised 222k natural increase (births-deaths) and an amazing 119K net inward migration (immigrants-emigrants). Fingal population for example was up 13.8% in the period 2006-2011.

The Dec 2010 population growth scenarios looked at a low estimate of 6% growth from 2006-2025 and a high estimate of 15% which they discount as unlikely due to the recession.

Of course it hardly matters how strong the business case becomes if there is no effing money but I still see some hope for a deal in 5 yrs time.

--edit--
    to see how wrong the ESRI's population forecasts were, listen to an interview with their top migration expert, Alan Barrett, in April this year where he estimates that 35K left the country in 2009 and that a further net 100K people would leave in 2010-1011. (skip to 2:20) http://audioboo.fm/boos/258803-esri-s-dr-alan-barrett-on-emigration-forecasts

ESRI is getting it wrong fairly consistently on nearly everything since 2008.
    It is widely considered that Census 2006 underestimated the number of immigrants - most likely those working in the grey/black-market.
    bk wrote: »
    I also note that it takes 4 times as many staff per 1,000 passengers on IR then BE (who in turn are probably less efficient then private bus operators).
    Any rail operator (including for Metro North) is likely to have more staff per passenger than a bus company as rail companies tend to maintain more of their own infrastructure. Luas clean their stops, Dublin Bus don't.

T2daK wrote: »

Rubbish. The latest census shows a booming population in this part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

T2daK wrote: »

Well there's a self fulfilling prophecy if ever I saw one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

More kite flying in the Sindo today with regards to the possible (probable?) demise of MN.
    Costly Metro North finally hits buffers

Sunday July 24 2011

Metro North will not proceed and is "no longer viable" given its huge cost, according to a number of senior government sources.

While officially no decision has been taken, several senior government sources have said that in light of "significant cuts" to capital spending, the €5bn pet project of former Transport Minister Noel Dempsey is not viable.

Speaking to this newspaper yesterday, Finance Minister Michael Noonan confirmed that December's Budget would contain significant cuts to both current and capital spending, but was keen to stress that no decision had been taken on this specific project.

A full review of the capital spending programme is under way and will be completed in September, after which a decision will be made on which of the four projects -- Metro North, Dart underground, Dart airport and link-up of the two Luas lines -- will go ahead.

"No decision has been taken, all of these things will be decided once the Comprehensive Spending Review is completed, but there will be significant cuts on the capital spending side in the Budget," Mr Noonan said.

His colleague and the line minister in charge, Transport Minister Leo Varadkar, also insisted last week that no final decision had been made, but there was a growing acceptance at senior government level that Metro North would not proceed.

"Clearly there is no hope of this thing going ahead. Just watch this space, the review will come out and Metro North will be gone. We simply can't afford it and we don't need it. They will find another way to link the airport by rail, either by Luas or by Dart," said a senior government source.

"No final decision will be made until the National Development Plan is published in September. All the projects on the table have a lot of merit but the key issue will be affordability," Mr Varadkar told the Sunday Independent.

In recent weeks, the Government has sought a cost outline from Irish Rail for a link-up to the airport by Dart.

It has also emerged that construction of a new Dart line to Dublin Airport will cost just €200m, less than a tenth of the cost of Metro North.

Irish Rail has told Mr Varadkar that the cost of building the 6.5-km Dart spur from Clongriffin to the airport would be significantly lower than expected because of falling land prices and lower construction costs. The new line could be operational within four years.

The lower cost and rapid delivery of a high-speed rail link from the airport to the city means the project is more likely to be approved by the Government.

"Initial indications are that the cost of the 6.5-km rail link from the airport to Clongriffin, which would provide direct Dart services between the airport and the city centre, will come in significantly lower than previously estimated, in the region of €200m in total."

Up to 2,000 jobs will be created if the project is approved.

Link: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/costly-metro-north-finally-hits-buffers-2829945.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Up to 2,000 jobs will be created bulding a 6.5km rail spur from Clongriffen to the airport? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    More kite flying in the Sindo today with regards to the possible (probable?) demise of MN.

Link: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/costly-metro-north-finally-hits-buffers-2829945.html

Utterly clueless piece. I despair at the way the Irish media covers major infrastructure projects such as Metro, Dart Underground, etc - and I say that as a member of said media.

The inability to ask basic questions about the projects is staggering. Reporters and editors focus on one or two points and then become obsessed with them and ignore all other aspects surrounding the projects.

Just take this 'quote' from a 'senior government source'.
    "Clearly there is no hope of this thing going ahead. Just watch this space, the review will come out and Metro North will be gone. We simply can't afford it and we don't need it. They will find another way to link the airport by rail, either by Luas or by Dart," said a senior government source.

If some politician gave me that quote, I'd have half a dozen follow up questions from what he said there - questions that are bloody obvious to anyone who actually understood anything about rail projects in Dublin. And then I'd have follow-up questions based on the spoofing I'd no doubt have got in answer to my previous questions.

Clearly there is no hope of this thing going ahead - Going ahead when? Now? Ever?

Just watch this space, the review will come out and Metro North will be gone - What do you mean by 'gone'? Will the project be postponed? Or simply abandoned?

We simply can't afford it - what is the latest cost estimate to the State now? How much will it cost State annually during construction? How much will it cost the State annually over the 25 or 30 years of the PPP contract? Have the PPP bidders indicated how much they are willing to fund? Have they indicated that private funding will not be available?

and we don't need it - Why do we not need it? The population of Dublin has risen substantially since the last census - particularly the population of north Dublin - so how can you say Metro is not needed when the current population figures and projected population figures along the line suggest otherwise? Metro will serve a corridor with greater population numbers living along the line than the existing Dart line or the two Luas lines so how can you say it is not needed?

They will find another way to link the airport by rail, either by Luas or by Dart - The metro project is about more than linking the airport by rail - what about the other areas it serves? Or the overall transport context for Dublin? How can the airport be served by Luas when the reason Metro - which is essentially two connected Luas units - is going underground south of the airport to the city centre is because there is nowhere to put it on the surface that will allow for dedicated, high capacity services to meet growing passenger demand? How can it be served by Dart when the Northern line into Connolly is already at capacity and one the purpose of Dart Underground is to relieve those constraints? Luas and Dart connections to the airport were ruled out more than a decade ago by transport planners due to capacity problems - why put them back on the agenda when the population and usage predictions are actually higher now than the predictions on which those decisions were made? Is this not simply a PR stunt by the government in that it wants to be seen to be 'doing something'?

Instead of asking those questions, the Sindo has simply stuck the quote in a piece without examining it in any way - simply because it suited the agenda of what the paper wanted to report.

That illustrates perfectly the approach of the Irish media to the Metro project from the start - papers and broadcasters have decided we 'don't need Metro' and 'can't afford Metro' and have constructed coverage built on those foundations.

The journalism I was taught and that I practice is that you ask the questions and gather the information and make your conclusions based on what you discover - not decide on the agenda and frame your information gathering based on supporting that agenda.

I don't think a single media organ has yet asked why the Metro project exists, examined the population figures that behind it or look at how it fits into the overall transport and development context in Dublin.

It's an example of how dumbed-down the Irish media has become in the last decade or so. Every issue is looked at from a narrow, agenda-driven angle and no big picture context is examined in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think it is the Irish media in general, there are more like a Press Release RSS feed than actual journalists most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Jack Noble

Here's the latest from Transport Minister Leo Varadkar on Metro North as outlined in a Dail answer to Finian McGrath TD last Wednesday, July 20.
    331. Deputy Finian McGrath info.gif zoom.gif asked the Minister for Transport; Tourism and Sport info.gif zoom.gif the position regarding the metro north; if he will ensure same will go ahead due to the potential opportunity to create 4,000 jobs and supporting local joinery businesses; his views on the fact that if he fails to start the metro north, compensation will have to be paid to the bidders, which in this current economic climate is not viable. [21489/11] Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport (Deputy Leo Varadkar): info.gif zoom.gif The comprehensive review of capital expenditure which is being overseen by my colleague Mr Brendan Howlin, Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform is currently underway. This review is examining all capital programmes and projects, as regards their affordability, their overall economic impact and job creation potential. A major consideration will be the need to prioritise funding to protect investment made to date and to maintain high safety standards.
    The Deputy can be assured that I am fully apprised of how beneficial Metro North can be, for businesses, communities and future development in the North Dublin Region. As you may be aware, I am a former member of Fingal County Council and represent part of the town of Swords, which would be served by Metro North. The benefits of this project are not at issue, the issue is our capacity to fund it.
    Metro North will cost several billions depending on the funding model used. In order for Metro North to be built, it will require both private funding by means of a PPP and exchequer funding. With regard to exchequer funding, this will be almost €1 billion during the term of this Government.
    The successful awarding of a major PPP contract involving private funding is challenging at any time but is particularly challenging in current circumstances where Ireland has been the subject of intervention by the IMF/EU. Until financial credibility is restored the international debt funding market will be reluctant to lend funds to finance projects in Ireland, the repayment of which is ultimately dependant on the state. It is also not clear whether the Exchequer will be able to contribute its share of the cost in any case. In order for Metro North to be included in the revised National Development Plan 2012 – 2016, both private finance and exchequer finance must be available. The decision made on Metro North, will be made by the Government in that context.
    The issue of compensation should it arise, would be dealt with under the agreed procurement terms between the RPA and the Metro North bidders, the details of which are commercially sensitive.

Leo kicking to touch again re any actual decision but both the last part of McGrath's question and Varadkar's answer are very interesting.

What happens if one or both bidders come in with attractive BAFOs that guarantee private funding will be available but govt cancels process in September, either before or after those bids are received?

In such a scenario, will the State have to pay compensation to either or both bidders? How much?

What are the 'agreed procurement terms' between RPA and bidders? And surely such terms which could open the State to any financial liability would have been approved by Transport or Finance or Cabinet before RPA issued initial and final tenders? If not, why not?

Can you imagine the reaction if the State has to pay out a few hundred million euro in compo for delaying or cancelling the project if private element of funding is available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Up to 2,000 jobs will be created bulding a 6.5km rail spur from Clongriffen to the airport? :confused:

1 job falls within that estimate :pac:

Absurdum wrote: »
    1 job falls within that estimate :pac:

What does that comment mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Of all the options on the table my personal opinion is that Luas BXD is most likely to get the green light.

Metro North - probably too costly.
    Dart Underground - ditto.
    Dart airport spur - questionable return on investment (IMO).
    Luas BXD - low cost relative to MN and DU, results in a Luas 'network' and introduces a whole new part of the city to light rail with guaranteed high ridership given the areas it will serve.

Of course, if BXD went ahead first then it would effectively kill MN as we know it. I just have to wonder, given that the route of BXD was chosen as part of a master plan that involved MN shouldn't the Government reconsider the route (at least beyond Parnell Sq) in light of the fact that MN isn't going to happen? I'd be asking myself: is Boombridge the best possible terminus and interchange with the Maynooth line or can we get a similar stretch of Luas to more important destinations for a similar price? I remember the original plan for Luas was to serve DCU and Ballymum, could that represent a better return on investment or would it prove too costly by comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What does that comment mean?

Up to 2000 = any number from 1 to 1,999.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

AngryLips wrote: »
    Of all the options on the table my personal opinion is that Luas BXD is most likely to get the green light.

Metro North - probably too costly.
    Dart Underground - ditto.
    Dart airport spur - questionable return on investment (IMO).
    Luas BXD - low cost relative to MN and DU, results in a Luas 'network' and introduces a whole new part of the city to light rail with guaranteed high ridership given the areas it will serve.

Of course, if BXD went ahead first then it would effectively kill MN as we know it. I just have to wonder, given that the route of BXD was chosen as part of a master plan that involved MN shouldn't the Government reconsider the route (at least beyond Parnell Sq) in light of the fact that MN isn't going to happen? I'd be asking myself: is Boombridge the best possible terminus and interchange with the Maynooth line or can we get a similar stretch of Luas to more important destinations for a similar price? I remember the original plan for Luas was to serve DCU and Ballymum, could that represent a better return on investment or would it prove too costly by comparison?
    You mean like the Airport and Swords? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭dowlingm

dynamick wrote: »
    It does not take into account the shock census results from two weeks ago when it was found that population in Ireland had grown by 341K since 2006.
    --edit--
    to see how wrong the ESRI's population forecasts were, listen to an interview with their top migration expert, Alan Barrett, in April this year where he estimates that 35K left the country in 2009 and that a further net 100K people would leave in 2010-1011. (skip to 2:20) http://audioboo.fm/boos/258803-esri-s-dr-alan-barrett-on-emigration-forecasts

ESRI is getting it wrong fairly consistently on nearly everything since 2008.
    ESRI would have basing their forecast on CSO numbers. There is a question mark over where the 2011 figures represent a true higher rate of increase, a significant undercount in 2006 or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

AngryLips wrote: »
    The proposed route of Luas BXD uses the Broadstone rail cutting which will make it quite cheap because half of its route is in a dedicated, uninterrupted corridor. It wouldnt be possible to build a similar stretch of Luas in any other direction for a similar price. The only problem with BXD is before it gets to Parnell Sq; splitting the tracks is just retarded.

The only other option I see for BXD terminus would be to build a new station at Glasnevin Junction which would also allow the oppertunity to divert the tracks to allow the PPT line to connect to the Spencer Dock line which would make using the tunnel a realistic option. You would also have an interchange with services to Maynooth, Dunboyne, Mullingar, Longford and Sligo.

Re Luas to Ballymun, it will never work because the only two routes it can take are via Drumcondra Road, which is too important for cars/buses and has a pinch point at the Cat & Cage, or St Mobi Road which is too narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Re Luas to Ballymun, it will never work because the only two routes it can take are via Drumcondra Road, which is too important for cars/buses and has a pinch point at the Cat & Cage, or St Mobi Road which is too narrow.

I dunno about that. Drumcondra Road is wide enough to accomodate both Luas and car. Plus the Port Tunnel makes the argument that Drumcondra Road is a vital access route into the city somewhat redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

why are ye still talking about this as if we have the money. wasting your fingers time typing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement