Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher pay

Options
  • 05-08-2011 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I get really tired of these arguements about pay etc. Back in 2007 yes the OECD report showed that Ireland had the 5th highest pay. However obviously there have been cuts since then so that will no longer be the case. I really wish people would read up on statistics and not quote individual ones they heard on the radio/tv/friend. It gives statistics a bad name.

Here are some possible reasons that teachers pay in Ireland is good.

For example: On Newstalk this morning I heard again that 83% of the education budget is spent on teachers salaries so they should be cut etc etc. However when I go and read up on it we actually don’t spend huge amounts of money on education in relation to other countries. Perhaps if we did then it would no longer be 83% on salaries!

We rank 13th on the table of expenditure on education in the OECD report (http://www.oecd.org/document/55/0,3746,en_2649_37455_46349815_1_1_1_37455,00.html) but again these tables are slightly skewed if the government is providing free fees for higher education. The UK is actually spending more than us on this table in spite of charging fees to higher level education.

We were spending 0 .5% as a percentage of total public expenditure above the OECD average on education including all levels in 2007 (13.5%) which wasn’t all that great given we were supposed to be pushing the knowledge economy. In the last four years we have slashed education so we can expect this to have dropped considerably. The highest spenders were Iceland and Norway. As a percentage of GDP, the EU average in 2007 was 5.2%. In Ireland we were spending 4.9%, below the average.

We are constantly told, we get paid too much (addressed above) and our holidays are too long. Rather than writing my own essay (I have read the reports from the OECD and EU) here is some explanation for our holidays being reasonable.

Quoted from: http://www.asti.ie/index.php?id=38&no_cache=1&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=430

"In his article “Teachers’ summer shutdown should not be a closed book” (June 9th, 2011), Brian O’Connell refers to an OECD table which shows that Irish second-level teachers are expected to be present in schools for 735 hours per annum compared to the OECD average of between 1,116 hours and 1,192 hours. The ASTI wishes to point out the following:

For 12 out of the 14 countries represented in this table, the aggregate number of hours includes time spent teaching and time spent carrying out non-teaching duties. In the case of two out of the 14 countries – Ireland and New Zealand – time spent carrying out non-teaching duties is not included. As a consequence, the stated number of hours for Ireland and New Zealand are significantly lower than they are for other countries.

Irish second-level teachers are required to teach for 735 hours per annum which is well above the OECD and European average of 682 and 646.5 hours respectively.

In addition, Irish second-level teachers are required to be present in their schools for additional time and are required to carry out a wide range of non-teaching duties. These duties include administrative tasks required by law, lesson planning, subject and whole school planning, liaising with external personnel (e.g. special educational needs organisers and school inspectors), setting and marking exams, and meeting with parents. This does not include voluntary work such as organising musicals, coaching teams and running the photography club which usually take place outside the school day or at weekends. Irish schools and teachers are renowned for their commitment to extra-curricular activities and research has shown that these activities benefit young people both personally and educationally.

There is no evidence to suggest that Irish teachers spend less time at school than the OECD average. In addition to teaching 735 hours per year, Irish second-level teachers carry out the same or similar non-teaching duties as their OECD counterparts."

I'm a maths teacher and having been teaching the new syllabus I am constantly having to remind my students to do the background work on figures in the newspaper and to question the reliability of statistics as there may be other causes. We are constantly bombarded with individual quotes without the analysis that is produced in these type of reports. Its hilarious as I try to get students to enjoy statistics that the thing they enjoy most is tearing them apart (particularly from the newspapers).

Anyways I suppose thats a rant after listening to Mary O'Rourke this morning actually say that teachers salaries are untouchable (obviously we've had no pay cuts??) and that class size increases of 1 are not ideal but will be fine. For a former minister of education to think that a change of 1 in the pupil teacher ratio equates to 1 extra child per class is insane. Did she learn nothing as a minister? .....

Breathe :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

Well said!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Thanks. Sorry about the mini rant at the end. I was annoyed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

fair play! in secondary its going to be detrimental, especially after the LCVP ratio and the normal ratio increase already. Subjects will be lost unfortunately.

P.S. you should see teacher pay arguments over in After Hours section, its hilarious how most people don't have a clue about our jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

TheDriver wrote: »
    P.S. you should see teacher pay arguments over in After Hours section, its hilarious how most people don't have a clue about our jobs.

Ah but The Driver all teachers sit on their arses for their 22 contracted hours and leg it out as soon as the bell goes. Teenagers are amazing quiet, undemanding and subservient creature so any moran with a pass degree and a priest in the family could do our job. They would all earn so much and get to drive a new Audi, Merc and the likes while travelling the world during the amazing fully-paid holidays. They wouldnt mind taking a paycut say 50% or so... the villa in Bermuda and yacht might have to be downgraded but if it helps the kids and poor private sector workers it would be worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

TheDriver wrote: »
    fair play! in secondary its going to be detrimental, especially after the LCVP ratio and the normal ratio increase already. Subjects will be lost unfortunately.

How are the 3 months summer holidays going, oh sorry secondary only get 2 months off in the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

How are the 3 months summer holidays going, oh sorry secondary only get 2 months off in the summer!

Trolling fail.

Ya I stuck a post over there for the craic. More to see what happens than anything else.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

No you were right the first time, it is actually 3 months.
    And going great, thanks. :)

E.T. wrote: »
    Trolling fail.
    Trolling it aint. A previous poster stated we havent a clue what teachers jobs are like.

Do ye get 2 and 3 month holidays in the summer depending if its primary or secondary,after workin for a whole 720 hours in the working year?

Do the same teachers then charge 20 to 30 euros an hour for grinds to pupils to teach them work they never covered properly during the term?

Ya I stuck a post over there for the craic. More to see what happens than anything else.... :D

You'll probably just get a load of tl;dr comments. People don't like to see facts that disprove their rant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Great post. If you were sitting an exam you would have failed as not once did you give an example of the title - Teacher pay. Tell us, what are the teacher pay rates starting from lowest to highest and dont forget the allowances/overtime rates. I'll even let you off with your pension entitlements/holidays.

Warper wrote: »
    Great post. If you were sitting an exam you would have failed as not once did you give an example of the title - Teacher pay. Tell us, what are the teacher pay rates starting from lowest to highest and dont forget the allowances/overtime rates. I'll even let you off with your pension entitlements/holidays.

Dont forget to add in the pay for exam supervision and grinds!

Grinds are such a great idea, what other job could you get paid again for not doing the job right first time!

Time the government and the IMF brought the teachers into the real world!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

:rolleyes:
    Dont forget to add in the pay for exam supervision and grinds!

Grinds are such a great idea, what other job could you get paid again for not doing the job right first time!

Time the government and the IMF brought the teachers into the real world!
    Ah c'mon is that the best trolling you can do?

Warper wrote: »

As I did not start the thread a mod did I didn't get to chose the title. Please take it up with them. And in answer to your post it took all of 10 secs to get all that info from google.
    http://www.asti.ie/uploads/media/0040-2011_New_Pay_Scales_for_New_Appointees_to_Teaching_in_2011.pdf

There are no overtime rates in teaching? As for allowances all are detailed in the above department circular. I addressed holidays in the original post-teachers in ireland have more contact teaching hours than the majority of the OECD which perhaps you missed? Finally we pay a pension and a pension levy.

Ah c'mon is that the best trolling you can do?
    always a great comeback when you dont want to answer a question!;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Q asked and answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Shows how little ye know. I spent a full year just doing grinds as was out on carers leave. I only once gave them to a child whose teacher was seemingly not up to scratch, children can view things differently to adults though, it appears to have been behavioural issues on the part of some other students preventing the teacher from teaching that led the student to need additional help.
    Most students seek grinds to bring them up to the standard needed for exams, admittedly an archaeic system not fit for purpose but sure the dogs on the street could tell you that. Realistically all the cutbacks will just lead to more grinds, let's hope you guys don't have any children left to go through the system as I know full well my own will suffer due to the class sizes being increased. Our job is very often misunderstood so I forgive those graciously who make ignorant, often sweeping statements and just hope they are more competently equipped with information on our education system by the time their children reach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a bit pointless getting involved in teacher threads. Everyone is an expert on teaching and its a very easy target as it is a very visible sort of a job. There is absolutely no reason why teachers should have to keep defending their hours/pay/pensions etc. As with any job it is a complex arrangement that can be made to look how you want it to look to suit your particular point of view.

Don't bite, let them gossip amongst themselves, it isn't going to make any difference when you have argued!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

looksee wrote: »
    Its a bit pointless getting involved in teacher threads. Everyone is an expert on teaching and its a very easy target as it is a very visible sort of a job.

too true, it's the one profession that practically everyone in ireland has experienced but mainly from behind the small desk rather than the big one at the front.. Does anyone in the media ever comment about University Lecturers work/holiday arrangements...

The latest I'm getting is .."ya shur pupil teacher ratios... I had 34 in my class and it never did me any harm..etc..." Trying to explain to non-teachers how the Pupil Teacher Ratio actually works is a real revelation for them.

Nevertheless it is good to have the proper stats so thanks musicmental

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

well it may have done them no harm but did it do them any good??!!

• Advertisement

The problem with that "it did me no harm" mentality is that those people just don't remember the kids who did have problems, and who were absolutely lost in a bigger class.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The problem with that "it did me no harm" mentality is that those people just don't remember the kids who did have problems, and who were absolutely lost in a bigger class.

It's not even about that. Children 20 years ago were in bigger classes and had less resources available to them for whatever special needs they had, but they were better behaved. There were 43 students in my junior infants class and that number only decreased by 3 or 4 the whole way through primary school. The other two classes in my year were similar.

In secondary average class size was about 30-32 for core subjects (early 90s). I went to what was classed as a disadvantaged secondary school. However we would not have dared put a foot out of line because not only would we be in trouble at school, but we'd have been killed at home too.

Classes are smaller now, they have more resources available but many children do not behave and their parents don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

Teachers have a bloody cheek to even argue about pay cuts, rates of pay etc.
    Excellent time off ,summer,easter,christmas, mid term breaks , holy days , bank holidays , short working weeks .
    According to the Mc carthy report 31 uncertified sick days per year , 3 which can be taken successively without a doctors cert. Guaranteed pensions , courses attended during time to be awarded as time in lieu against working time during year, extra allowances for supervising and taking on roles such as class teacher , year head etc and there are lots of these titles which brings pay up higher.This is only a few things i am aware of . I have no doubt there are little privledges to be gained that the majority of people dont know about.

dont think many would argue that it can be a stressful job but in the whole it is an excellent career, also not saying every teacher in Ireland gets all these benefits but i reckon a lot do.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

I hope you realise how good you have it.

I'm not trying to troll or wind you up but for every hour you teach I work 3 and get damn all time to myself. Averaged about 50 hours a week for the last 2 years, or 2,500 hours in the year with no overtime allowed!

Enjoy your time off, I know it is well deserved but please think off us folk who are working ridiculous hours around the clock to make less money than you guys!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I can't help but wonder why so many non-teachers are interested in the Teaching & Lecturing forum:confused:.

Teachers have it fairly good, but so do lots of other people, in different ways. It's hard to see what it's like until you actually do it, but I can see why people think it's such an easy number. The question still remains though; if it's so cushy why don't you train and try it out yourselves?

I'm guessing a heavy padlock is needed for this thread at this stage?:pac:

dekbhoy wrote: »
    Excellent time off ,summer,easter,christmas, mid term breaks , holy days , bank holidays , short working weeks .
    According to the Mc carthy report 31 uncertified sick days per year , 3 which can be taken successively without a doctors cert. Guaranteed pensions , courses attended during time to be awarded as time in lieu against working time during year, extra allowances for supervising and taking on roles such as class teacher , year head etc and there are lots of these titles which brings pay up higher.This is only a few things i am aware of . I have no doubt there are little privledges to be gained that the majority of people dont know about.

dont think many would argue that it can be a stressful job but in the whole it is an excellent career, also not saying every teacher in Ireland gets all these benefits but i reckon a lot do.

I won't argue with you about the time off, it is excellent.
    You might want to get more current facts about sick days, yours are well out of date.
    I haven't a clue what "courses attended during time...." is about. Primary teachers can do courses during their holidays so they can take days off during the year if there's a wedding/funeral etc they want to attend. 5 day course gets you 3 days off, 10 days 4, 15 days 5. You can't do a course during school time to get any time off, that makes no sense - who would take your class?
    Extra allowances for supervising - I don't get any break when I supervise, that's why there's extra pay.
    There are very few extra paid roles in most primary schools unless it's a very big school. There's no such thing as getting extra pay/allowance/any extra for being a class teacher!

Maybe before you go on a rant in future, you could check your facts? Just out of decency before you give out about someone else's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Ah I know and having a lot of friends who do it I appreciate the difficulties of it.

Two simple reasons I don't do it - I dont think I would have the patience
    and you can't really travel with it with is something I want to do. With other professions there is a lot of money to be earned in other parts of the world so that is what I'm at.

Have great respect for the teachers though, especially since the cuts and the huge increase in non-national pupils.

daddydick wrote: »
    I hope you realise how good you have it.

I'm not trying to troll or wind you up but for every hour you teach I work 3 and get damn all time to myself. Averaged about 50 hours a week for the last 2 years, or 2,500 hours in the year with no overtime allowed!

Enjoy your time off, I know it is well deserved but please think off us folk who are working ridiculous hours around the clock to make less money than you guys!

I teach 9-3 Mon to Fri, so that's 30 hours a week (I'm counting lunchtime because even the days I'm not on official supervision, we're all on indoor first aid and supervising pupils staying in, there is no time to yourself, or proper break). Usually 4 at the earliest before I leave school, often 5:30 to 6. 7 the odd time, but that wouldn't be more than a few times a term. At least 1 hour work at home, average would be about 6-12 a week. Even just including hours we teach, I can't see how you work 3 times that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Primary teachers can do courses during their holidays so they can take days off during the year if there's a wedding/funeral etc they want to attend. 5 day course gets you 3 days off, 10 days 4, 15 days 5. You can't do a course during school time to get any time off, that makes no sense - who would take your class?

Hi ET,

I think that it is ridiculous that you get annual leave consessions for attending training courses. In most professions, training courses are mandatory in order to develop skills and to keep them abreast of developments. It's these kind of concessions that drive people crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

munkus wrote: »
    Hi ET,

I think that it is ridiculous that you get annual leave consessions for attending training courses. In most professions, training courses are mandatory in order to develop skills and to keep them abreast of developments. It's these kind of concessions that drive people crazy.

These training courses are paid for by the teacher. Each course lasts 20 hours. They are also optional. And they take place in the teacher's own free time.

Yes, teachers have great time off, but we have a set time off. What happens if there's an emergency that's not covered by the normal leave arrangements? In other jobs, it's mostly up to you when you take your annual leave and this can be for a variety of reasons, including for emergencies that aren't covered by normal leave.

As regards to keeping abreast of developments, if there is ever a change to the curriculum, teachers will receive in-service training (and not earn any days off for it) which up until now has taken place during the school year, but IIRC this has changed and will now take place outside of the normal school year.
    dekbhoy wrote: »

(1) Yes, time off is great. But remember, we only get paid for the work we do. This pay happens to be spread out over the year.
    (2) Your information regarding uncertified sick days is out of date. Teachers are entitled to 7 uncertified sick days per year, not 31.
    (3) See my above point about training courses.
    (4) I pay for my guaranteed pension. Newer entrants to the teaching profession will actually end up paying in more to their "guaranteed pension" than they'll ever get out of it.
    (5) Extra allowances - any work done outside of normal contracted working hours (including supervision) must be paid for. This is done during break times. Supervision is a separate job to teaching.
    (6) In secondary schools, AFAIK, year heads get a modest allowance. That's because they have extra duties outside of their normal teaching duties. All things being equal, why should one teacher who's not a year head be paid the exact same as a teacher who is a year head?

In plenty of other professions there is overtime and commission, which obviously brings pay up a bit. But if a teacher receives an extra few euro for doing an extra bit of work there's suddenly a problem? Not in my book there's not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement