Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to service your car

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

NissanDoctor, do you just set the distance on the plugs with the tip of a hammer, down to the feeler gauge?

:eek:You can't hit spark plugs with a hammer! The tips would be very easily damaged.

A small pliers does the trick, adjust them gently untill you get the right clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Exactly why I was asking. :D thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I wouldnt recommend putting a screwdriver through an oil filter, its messy anyway.
    As for the people asking about bleeding brakes, its not too difficult but if you are really unsure then dont chance it. As for which corner to do, depends on the design/layout of the piping at the master cylinder.

Also I hope to god people are disposing of their oil properly, it will be taken for free by local authorities, dont do what my neighbour has done which is water the local trees with it???:eek: or pour it down the drain, anyone that does that should be given hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

That just saved me a lot of money Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Thanks volvoboy. Just did this at the weekend myself.
    Just curious tho, how often should this be done?
    I got the spark plugs, oil & air filters and oil changed.

kiddums wrote: »
    Thanks volvoboy. Just did this at the weekend myself.
    Just curious tho, how often should this be done?
    I got the spark plugs, oil & air filters and oil changed.

How often it should be done depends on what car and engine you have.

How often it should be done depends on what car and engine you have.
    I just thought there would be a general rule of thumb.
    It's on 02 Opel Agila 1L, with the Corsa B engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I just thought there would be a general rule of thumb.
    It's on 02 Opel Agila 1L, with the Corsa B engine.

It's usually in the manual for the car but as a rule of thumb I would change the oil and oil filter every 10k miles or once a year whichever is sooner. For the plugs I would change them every 30k or 3 years and the air filter I would change every 2nd year.

It's usually in the manual for the car but as a rule of thumb I would change the oil and oil filter every 10k miles or once a year whichever is sooner. For the plugs I would change them every 30k or 3 years and the air filter I would change every 2nd year.
    I figured it would probably be there but I dod not recieve a manual for the car and they are difficult to track down.

Thanks for the info.
    So the air filter every 2nd year is regardless of miles?

• Advertisement
    M

I figured it would probably be there but I dod not recieve a manual for the car and they are difficult to track down.

Thanks for the info.
    So the air filter every 2nd year is regardless of miles?

Yes can depend if you are driving in very dusty environments as to how long it will last, I normally remove mine and clean it each time I service it but after a year it's usually close to new condition, you can tell by how dirty it looks if it needs replacing, they are only about €20 from a main dealer and less from independents so not a huge investment either way to replace.

Here's a link to the 2009 Agila Owners Manual, might help http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/dam/Vauxhall/Europe/united_kingdom/nscwebsite/uk/00_Home/Owner_Services/Owners%20Owners%20Manuals/agila/AgilaOwnersManualSept2010.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I probably do mine too often then! Since 2000 when I bought an 18 month old micra I service it every 5k miles and always change the spark plugs and airfilter too. Also I've a '97 Laguna that I service every 4.5 to 5k miles and also change the sparkplugs and airfilter then too. One of my Uncles told me I was mad :)

I probably do mine too often then! Since 2000 when I bought an 18 month old micra I service it every 5k miles and always change the spark plugs and airfilter too. Also I've a '97 Laguna that I service every 4.5 to 5k miles and also change the sparkplugs and airfilter then too. One of my Uncles told me I was mad :)

The parts are cheap and it certainly won't do any harm so I don't think your mad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

The Haynes manual recommends an oil & oil filter change every 5K and sparks every 20K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭carveone

I lived in Canada for 4 years and drove a 2.2l Cavalier automatic. I changed the oil 4 times a year or every 4-6000km. Seems overkill but the oil wasn't synthetic I think. You had to change it summer to winter anyway of course. Engine ran really well for the 80,000km I put on it. Started it in -45C once.

I was horrified at how much they gouge you here. I think it explains how many cars here are badly maintained, NCT requirements aside. Even the UK is nowhere near as expensive.

A Pennzoil 10 minute drive through oil change in Ottawa would be about CA$45. They even gave out to me for the state of my air filter, which I considered a plus :rolleyes: You get a paper to read while you wait, often with page 3 girls (mechanics never change!).

I thought a drive through oil change business here would be a great idea. Otherwise, damn straight - do it yourself! The more you do it, the easier it gets and you can buy tools with all the money you save. Possibly a holiday too at Irish rates.

I would heartily second unkel's warning - do not ever rely on a jack. Can you imagine what would happen if it gave with you under the car. Or some idiot kicked it. It doesn't bear thinking about. If you don't have axle stands, at least use cavity blocks or something similar that won't give under 1000kgs. And put it in gear, apply handbrake, chock the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Help2

showthread.php?p=74341015#post74341015

Calling the Nissan Doctor or anybody who can help!!

My mate helped me to service my car, since he had done his own once before.. and he has the trolley jack and axle stands. (car is 1.1 litre 2005 mitsubishi colt 3 door)

Anyway i have noticed a small oil leak...oil on the driveway etc...After about 1000 - 1200km (600/750 miles) over a month, the oil has moved from near the "dont add oil" level on the dipstick to near the "add oil" on the dipstick.

I have added about 400ml - half a litre of oil and it is full again. If i do this for another 9000miles before another service then i will use an extra 5/6litres of oil.. and the oil i used is expensive..:mad:

I reckon the oil may be leaking from the drain plug.. but this is only a guess. I can think of two possible causes.

1. We never installed a new seal to the drain plug (some sort of ring came with the filter.. never bothered using it as we didnt know what it was for! we are novices after all!! Link to the Photo of this thing at the bottom of this post)

2. We never added oil to the new oil filter.. my mate just rubbed the new oil filter and the oil filter together.. thinking that would do..

So my question to the Nissan Doctor or to anybody who can help is how do i stop this oil leak????

Will i have to empty out the oil and do it properly this time, or is there a way of stopping the leak???

6136930515_957fa3249d.jpg
    2011-09-11 19.21.32 by doylerandrew, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I guess I'd better ask the obvious question. Have you actually looked at the drain plug to see if that is where the oil is leaking from?

As above, we really need to figure out where the leak is coming from before we can see how it can be sorted.

Where abouts are you based?

As above, we really need to figure out where the leak is coming from before we can see how it can be sorted.

Where abouts are you based?

North Wicklow... Bray... i think im going to go to halfords tomorrow morning to get axle stands and a car jack and have a look.....

Can you not just look under the front of the car and see is the oil coming from the sump plug or coming from where the oil filter is located?

Can you not just look under the front of the car and see is the oil coming from the sump plug or coming from where the oil filter is located?

Ill try, car is very low.

Want to get the lifting gear anyway though cause i want to change the coolant, and to be able to do oil changes myself in the future.

• Advertisement

6143896677_2097a79505.jpg
    2011-09-13 15.30.20 by doylerandrew, on Flickr

Took this dodgy photo..i wont be able to have a proper look untill tomorrow.. looks like its leaking from the drain plug area..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I've reused the copper rings when I found I don't have any left and as long as I tighten it tight enough I don't have a leak. My guess is the oil sump plug is not 100% tight....can you get in there with a socket set and see?

I've reused the copper rings when I found I don't have any left and as long as I tighten it tight enough I don't have a leak. My guess is the oil sump plug is not 100% tight....can you get in there with a socket set and see?

I think this should be sorted now... the washer was very bent.and the plug was not very tight either... came loose easily.. photos:

Drain plug beforehand

6146522443_81d6a6d4e2_z.jpg
    2011-09-14 11.15.25 by help212, on Flickr

Old washer and New washer

6147072768_74d1dbc5ea_z.jpg
    2011-09-14 11.28.23 by help212, on Flickr

Afterwards

6147073082_2bf550dc5f_z.jpg
    2011-09-14 11.35.40 by help212, on Flickr

How tight do you tighten the sump plug?? I just hand tightened it as far as i could... then used a ratchet and a socket piece... and tightened it using the ratchet one-handed... untill it became difficult to tighten any more.

I would have had to apply alot more force to tighten it any further... have i tightened it too tight? ha.

How tight do you tighten the sump plug?? I just hand tightened it as far as i could... then used a ratchet and a socket piece... and tightened it using the ratchet one-handed... untill it became difficult to tighten any more.

I would have had to apply alot more force to tighten it any further... have i tightened it too tight? ha.

That sounds like its tight enough, you don't want to go any tighter as you could damage the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

i drive a 98 1.4 and its burning a bit of oil, what oil would you recommend?

alibride wrote: »
    i drive a 98 1.4 and its burning a bit of oil, what oil would you recommend?

Is the oil level dropping or is there oil smoke coming from the exhaust? Either way changing the oil type is unlikely to solve anything as there will be an engine issue causing the oil loss.

Using a heavier oil to attempt to stop excess oil consumption will only result in engine components not getting the correct lubrication, leading to more issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

Just a quick question, i have been servicing my 99 mazda 323 for the last 2 years and i have always used 10w40 oil. Iam planning on servicing it this weekend and am thinking maybe i should use a lighter grade of oil with winter just around the corner. Maybe 5w30 ?

Would their be much benefit in doing this? Theirs 143k miles on the clock and she is burning a small bit of oil, around 2 litres per 3000miles. Would the lighter grade increase oil consumption much ?

Many thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The incorrect grade could cause damage to the seals. That would be as bad as too much or too little oil. I would stick with the recommended oil only. I can't advise on the oil consumption bit, but someone will be along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

I service (change oil, filters, etc) on my own Avensis and my brother's Golf but going to do my good ladyfriend's 2005 diesel vauxhall astra this week. Is there anything I should look out for or is it just a case of change the oil, new oil, fuel and air filters?

Many thanks,

SV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Sunset V wrote: »
    I service (change oil, filters, etc) on my own Avensis and my brother's Golf but going to do my good ladyfriend's 2005 diesel vauxhall astra this week. Is there anything I should look out for or is it just a case of change the oil, new oil, fuel and air filters?

Many thanks,

SV
    You may need a fuel primer to do the fuel filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

thanks for this post:) just changed the oil and filter in my 00 corolla after finding out its also burning oil but happy enough to keep topping it up for the next while.

@alibride here is a link to some info about your burning oil that i found reassuring:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71029094

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Thats Brill:) Going to attemp to service mine this monday:)

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Thats Brill:) Going to attemp to service mine this monday:)

first time pudzey?

breadbin wrote: »
    first time pudzey?

Ya mate:) Just sick of paying out loads when i can get all the parts including 5l drum of oil for 45e:) following the instructions from this i shudnt have a prob!!:)

Ya mate:) Just sick of paying out loads when i can get all the parts including 5l drum of oil for 45e:) following the instructions from this i shudnt have a prob!!:)
    yeah thats what did it for me. i just did the oil and filter and it cost me 30quid so its well worth it:)

just take your time doing it and you'll be fine:) the only thing i can think of that could get you bothered is the oil filter being on too tight, maybe try finding it and seeing if its ok to do by hand first:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hey lads, gonna try to change the oil and both filters on my fiesta over the weekend, where would one get the oil and air filters (North Dublin)? The only place I'd know that might do them is Halford's, do they do them?

Finally Done it:) Took about half hours work and saved me about 200 yoyos:)
    Hardest bit i came up with was the idiot that owned it before me never lubed up the rubber gasket on the oil filter so was really hard to take off:)

^^ ya halfords do them cheap:) i got all mine in top part came to 39.99 for 4litre oil,oil +air filter and plugs:) really cheap compared to what you would pay to have it done by a mechanic:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

After recently forking out €650 to a mechanic for a new BCM, they are not getting anymore for a while so I'm going to be attempting my first service this weekend.

I have a 03 Nissan Almera 1.5 petrol, I changed the front brake pads about a month ago with a little help from my father (they were that worn down they were wedged against the disk so took alot of poking and prodding to remove).

I'll be heading into the motor factors tomorrow or Friday and I'm going to buy, oil, oil filter, spark plugs and an air filter.

Any advice would be welcome as i'm a noob to this servicing lark.

• Advertisement

After recently forking out €650 to a mechanic for a new BCM, they are not getting anymore for a while so I'm going to be attempting my first service this weekend.

I have a 03 Nissan Almera 1.5 petrol, I changed the front brake pads about a month ago with a little help from my father (they were that worn down they were wedged against the disk so took alot of poking and prodding to remove).

I'll be heading into the motor factors tomorrow or Friday and I'm going to buy, oil, oil filter, spark plugs and an air filter.

Any advice would be welcome as i'm a noob to this servicing lark.

The good news is that you have one of the most straight forward cars out there to service. You'll need nothing but basic tools for the oil/air/plugs.

Thats good to hear Nissan Doctor, I am a little unsure about the spark plugs, is it just a screw out screw in job?

Thats good to hear Nissan Doctor, I am a little unsure about the spark plugs, is it just a screw out screw in job?

4 x 10mm bolts, 1 for each coil pack. 16mm plugs socket remove old plugs, refit new plugs.:)

So I attempted my first service yesterday and it didn't exactly go according to plan.

Done the spark plugs first which was easy and also the air filter, then I jacked up the car and tried to turn the oil filter which did not budge as hard as I tried it wouldn't turn so thats that I may get an adjustable wrench to take it off. Bit disappointed with it tbh.

M

Done the spark plugs first which was easy and also the air filter, then I jacked up the car and tried to turn the oil filter which did not budge as hard as I tried it wouldn't turn so thats that I may get an adjustable wrench to take it off. Bit disappointed with it tbh.

I'd recommend getting a different tool for removing the filter, there's various types on the market and some will be suited more to your car. In the past I used the chain wrench but find the band one best for my car.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_209641_langId_-1_categoryId_212616
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_525159_langId_-1_categoryId_212616
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_525117_langId_-1_categoryId_212616
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_199193_categoryId_212616_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_List_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PLPz1

So I attempted my first service yesterday and it didn't exactly go according to plan.

I removed my filter the old fashioned way :) screwdriver straight threw it and give it few tips with a hammer:)

got a lend of a filter remover (not sure the name but theres like a bicycle chain on it lol) no good at all it was on so tight :)

• Advertisement

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

How often should I need to change my fuel filter?
    I have an 02 Opel Agila and I don't know if its ever been done in the 105k miles.
    How do I do it if I need to do it?

And further to my desperation to get better MPG, how do I clean my EGR valve? Its blocked off at the minute but I'm fed up looking at the light for it, so if I can clean it and reconnect it I'll be happy.

And how do I clean battery terminals? Will a wire brush be enough?

depends how much you drive it. if you drive 150 miles + a week, then i wouldnt go any longer than 18 months really.
    As for the EGR valve, simply replace it, as cheap as they are you masewell because you cannot get to all of the parts, a cleaning may not last very long.

depends how much you drive it. if you drive 150 miles + a week, then i wouldnt go any longer than 18 months really.
    As for the EGR valve, simply replace it, as cheap as they are you masewell because you cannot get to all of the parts, a cleaning may not last very long.
    A Min of 250 a week. So it needs doin soon so.
    Where is it and how do I change it?
    Its basically a corsa engine.

How cheap are we talking? I was hearing they were over 100, thats why I was looking into cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

A new EGR for my VW would have been around €200:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mustang01

unlike a diesel engine a fuel filter replacement in a petrol engine like your opel is not required as often or will not cause majour problems if it is not changed, but saying that for proper engine performance you should look to change it every 50-60k

and on another note anyone driving a diesel engine - even though the manufacturer sometimes gives a long period between change this should be not be followed and you should change it on a shorter interval because the quality of diesel is brutal in a lot places throughout ireland and for da few euros extra on filters it will save you in the long run preventing engine trouble

• Advertisement
Advertisement