Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Norris - Post-Revelations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Biggins wrote: »
    We might find something to disagree with upon analysis, but heavens, what a meaty, mighty post! :)

I plan on giving it another read when I am less fatigued and have a large coffee in front of me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I plan on giving it another read when I am less fatigued and have a large coffee in front of me

My thoughts too. Crikey!
    I might disagree somewhere - but credit to the dude for making that weighty post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Is it not odd that of all the candidates there has been a concerted attempt to sabotage the Norris candidacy? If someone feels so strongly against him, let his name go on the ballot and then vote against him. Why have there been no damaging stories about any other candidate? Are they all so squeaky clean? Christ, look at Gallagher-a former member of the FF national executive, a party that robbed and raped this country for it's own gain and the benefit of its pals. Anyone quiz him on his support for FF?
    Norris should have followed Volumnia's advice to Coriolanus, advising to "speak with such words that are but rooted in
    Your tongue, though but bastards and syllables
    Of no allowance to your bosom's truth"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Where there is understanding no comment is needed, but where there's no understanding no amount of argument is convincing.

And will you stop using "Marcus Aurelius's 1001 Greatest Comebacks" to defend your flip-flopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

MOSSAD wrote: »
    Is it not odd that of all the candidates there has been a concerted attempt to sabotage the Norris candidacy? If someone feels so strongly against him, let his name go on the ballot and then vote against him. Why have there been no damaging stories about any other candidate? Are they all so squeaky clean? Christ, look at Gallagher-a former member of the FF national executive, a party that robbed and raped this country for it's own gain and the benefit of its pals. Anyone quiz him on his support for FF?
    Norris should have followed Volumnia's advice to Coriolanus, advising to "speak with such words that are but rooted in
    Your tongue, though but bastards and syllables
    Of no allowance to your bosom's truth"

There have been articles about other candidates- one article even raised the fact that Gay Mitchell's cousin is a criminal, and insinuated that this could somehow be a stain on his character. The fact though, is that the other candidates don't seem to have engaged in extremely dubious behaviour, so there hasn't been anything to report.

• Advertisement

Einhard wrote: »
    There have been articles about other candidates- one article even raised the fact that Gay Mitchell's cousin is a criminal, and insinuated that this could somehow be a stain on his character. The fact though, is that the other candidates don't seem to have engaged in extremely dubious behaviour, so there hasn't been anything to report.

I suspect that when the official starting date for this election begins and candidates are nominated, we might - and in some cases hopefully - see just as heavy questioning as to pasts and backgrounds of others.
    For the moment prior to the latest Norris issue, he was sure getting some publicity. A lot more than others were. As to why this is, each of us can only draw our own conclusion on what we hear and read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Every presidential campaign has been vicious with slurs on many peoples characters. He might be the first this time, but he's not the first ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Would you not think that in light of the revelations of his plea for clemency for a man cnovicted of statutory rape that the HLB issue has a lot more credence because of the suggested inferences that can be garnered from both matters?

Personally, I wouldn't. I understand if others may look at it that way but as far as I'm concerned that Magill article was tabloid sensationalist trash and I'm still satisfied with Norris' response to it: http://www.norrisforpresident.ie/askdavid/magill-magazine-2002

Having said all that, I wouldn't look as favourably on any attempt he may make to defend sending those letters. An acknowledgement of wrongdoing, a humble apology and his withdrawal from the presidential race is the best way for Norris to win back some respect here.

Every presidential campaign has been vicious with slurs on many peoples characters. He might be the first this time, but he's not the first ever.

Indeed. Sure wan't some of the stuff that was thrown a presidential election or two ago, was "why was a northerner from across the border be even allowed to run" (or words to that effect) - I'm sure more will come.
    Sadly we seem to have adopted some of the ways things are done in America and other countries.
    Rather than debate on principle details, some home in and go for slurs as possible method to knock an opponent (and I'm not just talking about Norris here).

Einhard wrote: »

I'm sure a lot of people have family members they'd rather not share blood with. I wouldn't hold that against him.

Hiowever, there was a report of Gay Mitchell writing to the governor of Florida back in 2003 appealing for a convicted murderer to be spared the death penalty. Now I'm also against the death penalty but I believe the only reason Mitchell, who's very conservative and pro-life, got involved was because the convict murdered an abortionist.

Link 1
    Link 2 (Daily Mail; take with pinch of salt)

What's not clear is whether Mitchell wrote the letter as a TD or just of his own accord. If it's the latter then that's his own business, although I still question his motivation for intervening in that particular case.

If he wrote the letter using his official position as TD, however, then that isn't much better than what Norris did in the Nawi case. Ok so Mitchell had not ties to the convict and so had no ulterior motive, as such; that's one difference. But it's still using a Governmental position to intervene in a foreign criminal matter.

• Advertisement

Personally, I wouldn't. I understand if others may look at it that way but as far as I'm concerned that Magill article was tabloid sensationalist trash and I'm still satisfied with Norris' response to it: http://www.norrisforpresident.ie/askdavid/magill-magazine-2002

Having said all that, I wouldn't look as favourably on any attempt he may make to defend sending those letters. An acknowledgement of wrongdoing, a humble apology and his withdrawal from the presidential race is the best way for Norris to win back some respect here.

To me its a continuation of a thought process which he seems to have with regard the age of consent and relationships between young people and adults. I have read his answer on Magill and it is by no means a comprehensive repudiation of anything. He was given at the time the opportunity to clarify if what was said was what he wanted to say. He was happy that it was, to say anything was then taken out of context is being misleading.

Personally I could never understand the coronation of David Norris as President, he is elitist, absolutely loves himself. can be an amusing person to hear speak but it then wears thin pretty quickly. As has been previously pointed out, he is now in the real world of politics and not the rarified atmosphere of the Seanad University panel. People are far more inquisitive of who they let represent this nation of ours overseas.

Indeed. Sure wan't some of the stuff that was thrown a presidential election or two ago, was "why was a northerner from across the border be even allowed to run" (or words to that effect) - I'm sure more will come.
    Sadly we seem to have adopted some of the ways things are done in America and other countries.
    Rather than debate on principle details, some home in and go for slurs as possible method to knock an opponent (and I'm not just talking about Norris here).

I agree. It would be much better to have a higher standard of debate. I think part of the problem is the fact that the president is supposed to be politically neutral. It's fairly hard to get stuck into the issues of the day.
    When someone is asked "why would you be a good president?" they can't say, because I have plans to fix the economy/health/education etc. Their only option is to look to their past and focus on themselves as an individual and claim that they are a "good" person. The natural rebuttal of this is to tell them they are not a good person. That's why it gets so personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

finian mcgrath has withdrawn support for David Norris according to twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Just looked him up on Wikipedia and i was very impressed. I think he might deserve a 2nd chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I'm sure a lot of people have family members they'd rather not share blood with. I wouldn't hold that against him.

Hiowever, there was a report of Gay Mitchell writing to the governor of Florida back in 2003 appealing for a convicted murderer to be spared the death penalty. Now I'm also against the death penalty but I believe the only reason Mitchell, who's very conservative and pro-life, got involved was because the convict murdered an abortionist.

Link 1
    Link 2 (Daily Mail; take with pinch of salt)

What's not clear is whether Mitchell wrote the letter as a TD or just of his own accord. If it's the latter then that's his own business, although I still question his motivation for intervening in that particular case.

If he wrote the letter using his official position as TD, however, then that isn't much better than what Norris did in the Nawi case. Ok so Mitchell had not ties to the convict and so had no ulterior motive, as such; that's one difference. But it's still using a Governmental position to intervene in a foreign criminal matter.
    another man interfering in the lawmakers in another country, where is the letter, was it written on headed paper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I feel sorry for David Norris in a way.

Ok - I certainly don't agree with his views all the time. And in relation to THAT interview - where he seemed to condone certain practices with regard to underage boys, I don't think he acted well. We all have controversial views. He took it a bit far, and certainly, as a public figure, should have had the sense not to say what he said to a journalist. But I don't think he deserved the public flaying that he got because of it. It's not as though he was suggesting that we should all go out and have sex with 12 year olds. What I really don't like about that whole issue is the way he handled it after it came into the limelight.

This thing, however. He used his authority to write some letters for a lover of his who was facing a serious sentence for sex with a minor. I don't know the ins and outs of this case, but if it was something as simple as having sex with somebody who was consensual but underage, I would do the same for somebody that I cared about. Now, if it was the case that this guy forced himself upon the girl, I would think differently. But, I can only go with the facts that I have.

He misused his position, but he's only human and, although he could seriously do with a bit of cop on, he hasn't committed half the crimes that people in our governments have so far. And, I can't see, so far, that he's done anything to help himself to free money, land, whatever.

I don't think he's right for president at all, but he is getting some amount of crap thrown at him, when the people who are running this country have done a whole lot worse. IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Voltwad wrote: »
    finian mcgrath has withdrawn support for David Norris according to twitter.

John Halligan has gone too now and rumour has it Pringle will declare himself out within the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Pringle is now not backing Norris according to RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That's exit stage left for David now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I shall still be voting for Norris - we can't let the knuckle-dragging homophobic culchie media destroy an intellectual like David because they want to get their own bogger into power (yet again).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Orizio wrote: »
    I shall still be voting for Norris - we can't let the knuckle-dragging homophobic culchie media destroy an intellectual like David because they want to get their own bogger into power (yet again).

I think he did a good job of it himself tbh.

Don't see the link personally. Perhaps you could expand on that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Well it looks like you won't be able to now.

goat2 wrote: »
    another man interfering in the lawmakers in another country, where is the letter, was it written on headed paper

It's not made clear (at least not in those reports anyway) whether it was a letter on headed paper or not. Mr. Mitchell should be required to make a statement to clarify that himself, although I'm sure he won't have to; this story won't receive anywhere near as much attention as the Norris case.

Too ridiculous a comment to even reply to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Homophobic media??? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

But here's the thing. A lot of people are voting for Norris because he's an interesting figure who can speak well and has done a lot of good. That's fine if he has a seat in the Seanad. But, this is a vote for presidency.

As our president, he would have to put his agendas behind him and act solely for the good of our country. He won't be part of a larger party - he will be one person representing us. And, despite all the good work he does, he is not suitable for that role.

I like David Norris, but I don't think he would be able to take any job objectively. With all his good intentions, David needs somebody to rein him in. We need somebody with a bit of a cooler head.

gambiaman wrote: »
    Well it looks like you won't be able to now.
    Isn't that the pity of it? A bunch of watching-my-seat politicians decide for the people, instead of letting the guy get on the ballot paper and letting us decide. Sean Gallagher? What has he done for the country? Michael D? Who the hell heard of Mary Davis before she put her name forward? If the guy does not get on the ballot paper, it's a bad day for democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Don't see the link personally. Perhaps you could expand on that one?

Very simply, as people who grow up in Dublin city (and to a lesser extent, Cork and Limerick city) are well-educated, sophisticated and urbane, they are far too open minded and progressive to be homophobic. Urbanites are overwhelmingly pro-gay rights, and anti-tradtionalism while culchies tend to be overwhemlingly pro-Catholicism and extremely narrow minded in their views, invariably being racist, homophobic, sexist and so on.

As such, it stands to reason that if the media is attacking Norris with a homphobic hate campaign - as they are - the media must be culchie run. One needs only to look at the non-stop GAA coverage in the media - even though decent human beings play/follow rugby and cricket - and the media's massive defense of the RCC in recent weeks to show just how that the Irish-media is bogger run.

Advertisement