Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai should be armed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

To come up with a sensible answer to that question, you first need to ask "How often does a Garda find himself in a situation where he actively needs a gun?".

I would say very rarely. Gardai would usually arrive at the scene of a serious crime after it has taken place, rather than witnessing it occuring. Their job is to track criminals down, rather than catch them in the act.

Most rank-and-file gardai wouldn't see much more than a standard public order offence anyway. In the worst case, they might take a smack or two, but that's nothing a baton couldn't take care of, and the law is heavily on their side.

On those grounds, I'd say the risks outweigh the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Nope,our guards have trouble keeping a simply yoke like a mondeo on the straight and narrow,give them a gun and there will be dead citizens all over the country.Just look at how the guards battered innocent people on the may day parade a few years ago,now think off all the dead people that would have littered dublin city center if these thick rambo cops had of hand guns!!! It would have of been like Tiananmen Square for God's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    I dont believe anyone other than Gardai and the military should own guns.
    I dont even believe hunters should have them.

And how would they hunt, Bow and arrows ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

If you want armed guards you might as well send the army out in the streets.
    But if they keep it locked up in a vehicle,and not shown to the public,its a different story.
    And why should the Guards be allowed to be armed,and not me and you???
    Its only going to provoke more violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Why? We are entitled to defend ourselves, are we not?

Within certain sensible limits. If you give someone a gun, you're giving them the ability to kill a person just by pointing at them. That's going a bit far, if you ask me.

You might as well argue that police should carry A.K.s because they have the right to defend themselves. The point is you have to draw a line somewhere. I draw it at handguns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

realies wrote: »
    [/B]

And how would they hunt, Bow and arrows ;)

Damn right! :D

Fremen wrote: »
    I draw it at handguns.

Yeah? Thats what I mean like.
    I dont mean rifles lol

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Damn right! :D

It's actually illegal to hunt with a bow and arrow in Ireland afaik. Seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I believe the gardai should be armed, But if you have an armed police force then it should be legal for citizens to have guns , which I also believe in. We have a huge problem in this country where criminals can do what they like and just go through our revolving door prison system without punishment. the threat of having a few rounds through your kneecaps for breaking into somebodys house would be a lot of help

I dont believe anyone other than Gardai and the military should own guns.
    I dont even believe hunters should have them.

Ever tried catching a deer or a rabbit with your bare hands:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Let's try not to generalise for once.
    Audrey, you are a guard, aren't you. Were you that foxy brunette that stopped me for no tax on my hiace last week? I'd give you a gun no bother, that uniform does things for a man.

Ever tried catching a deer or a rabbit with your bare hands:rolleyes:

Rambo can do it,:p:p A few rambos here to .

Rambo can do it,:p:p A few rambos here to .

If we had Rambo,we wouldnt need an army either;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Solnskaya wrote: »
    Audrey, you are a guard, aren't you. Were you that foxy brunette that stopped me for no tax on my hiace last week? I'd give you a gun no bother, that uniform does things for a man.

I'm not no, but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Well already they seem to threaten to use their "power of arrest" to everybody and anybody even in the most non-threatening situations.

I dread to think what sort of power-buzz young dim-witted and inexperienced recruits fresh from Templemore would get brandishing a weapon like a gun.

There are way too many aggressive loose-canons in the force for any sort of universal gun use policy.

Guns and Gardai would be a lethal concoction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's actually illegal to hunt with a bow and arrow in Ireland afaik. Seems odd.

so its alright to shoot an animal so long as you dont use a bow or crossbow? where the hell is the sense in that :confused: god this country is so turned around its not even funny,

on gardai with guns, one part of me is saying yes they should have them, i see gardai abused an awful lot where im from, people just dont fear or respect them on the other hand there are some really stupid gardai around, remember that protest a year or so ago by students at some government building? ended with the students getting beaten up for no damn reason

If we had Rambo,we wouldnt need an army either;)

Imagine a country with Rambo and Chuck Norris :D

Ahem, anyway....

I'm not no, but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

:p He fancies you and is chasing you around the boards,have you not noticed ;)

Woop Woop! Get in there ;) How bad sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

tan11ie wrote: »
    I do believe some should be armed to deal with the criminal gangs ect........
    but then again i have my doubts ...some dumb ass coppers out there!

There is highly armed and well trained Gardai in city areas where criminal gang problems exist. The ERU are based in Dublin, that means if a criminal gang needs to be dealt with Ireland's most highly trained Gardaí are available very quickly.

In the rural areas there are the RSU, highly armed, highly trained and capable to deal with pretty much any threat posed. We have sufficient numbers of arms within the Gardai for the risks posed.

• Advertisement

you swine, I thought she was chasing me. The whole no uniform thing is causing me to have serious doubts though, but in fairness, she was cracking in "the african queen". (I wonder has she aged well??) On topic(ho hum) I got stopped by a very serious looking copper the other day in Portarlington(in fairness its in Offaly and you can kinda understand why they need uzi's on checkpoints), armed to the teeth he was, and I felt like I was in New York(ok, I didn't, it was Offaly), very unnerving it was. Due to the fact that all my frilly bits in the windscreen were in order, I was waved on, but it was very un-irish. I prefer Guard Brendan, the only dangeous thing about him is his BO, and the only time he has a gun is when he is out poaching pheasants on the local estate.(for the dubs, down here an estate is a big farm full of animals, so kinda 50% like an estate in the smoke.)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

so its alright to shoot an animal so long as you dont use a bow or crossbow? where the hell is the sense in that :confused: god this country is so turned around its not even funny,

I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe it's less humane or something, suppose a gun is more likely to kill with the first shot.

Croatia, Germany and the UK also prohibit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

RMD wrote: »
    There is highly armed and well trained Gardai in city areas where criminal gang problems exist. The ERU are based in Dublin, that means if a criminal gang needs to be dealt with Ireland's most highly trained Gardaí are available very quickly.

In the rural areas there are the RSU, highly armed, highly trained and capable to deal with pretty much any threat posed. We have sufficient numbers of arms within the Gardai for the risks posed.

That's the problem,in typical irish fashion,the ERU are there for a certain amount of time,the criminal gangs stop all sudden,the overtime for ERU budget rockets,they scale back and go home,then its back to normal for criminals.

On the response to carrying guns for ordinary people,no i wouldn't be in favour of it,we have a mini LA with the amount of scoobs around.

The three strike rules doesn't always work,some people have been given it for the smallest of crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

As far as I am aware most garda stations have a gun press and also have specially trained (usually detectives) to use them if needs be.

I thought they were all trained to use fire arms..

RMD wrote: »

I'm not too familiar with units :o. Is it just Dublin though? I get the whole rural areas point but what about Cork, Limerick, Galway? Or were you just saying Dublin as an example?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe it's less humane or something, suppose a gun is more likely to kill with the first shot.

Croatia, Germany and the UK also prohibit it.

:confused: seems pretty stupid to me, especially in this country where if a gun goes off someone will nearly always hear it as opposed to a bow thats pretty much silent? id think a professional hunter would like the challenge of using a bow as well i mean it seemed to do just alright for those couple of thousand years that people used them :D

:confused: seems pretty stupid to me, especially in this country where if a gun goes off someone will nearly always hear it as opposed to a bow thats pretty much silent? id think a professional hunter would like the challenge of using a bow as well i mean it seemed to do just alright for those couple of thousand years that people used them :D

Hunting with a bow and arrow sounds more appealing than a gun to me tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

A lot of hunters uses moderators to control the sound of their rifle, bow hunting would probably be seen as inhumane as the animal may not die straightaway, a rifle can sometimes wound an animal and they can walk for a few yards before dying, arrows would leave more of a margin for error. Hunters consider the animal first before how much of a challenge it is, they try to kill animals cleanly and not leave them lingering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

give them a gun and there will be dead citizens all over the country ...............where are you living...? Syria.?

• Advertisement

Hunting with a bow and arrow sounds more appealing than a gun to me tbh!
    off topic(whats new)but i've always believed that people should be allowed to do as much hunting as they like, using their bare hands. That would even things up a bit. Anything beyond a big stick(and even that's cheating)should be illegal. FFS, if you want fish or venison, tesco have it in the frozen aisle. I'm an ex-hunter btw, but I still have a huge gun Audrey.

Advertisement