Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai should be armed?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,201 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Solnskaya wrote: »
    off topic(whats new)but i've always believed that people should be allowed to do as much hunting as they like, using their bare hands. That would even things up a bit. Anything beyond a big stick(and even that's cheating)should be illegal.

Also mandatory nakedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

off topic(whats new)but i've always believed that people should be allowed to do as much hunting as they like, using their bare hands. That would even things up a bit. Anything beyond a big stick(and even that's cheating)should be illegal.

I hope you dont plan on hunting aliigators:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

mattjack wrote: »
    I thought they were all trained to use fire arms..

Do not really know tbh mattjack but where I live it was only the detectives had access to the gun press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Blay wrote: »
    A lot of hunters uses moderators to control the sound of their rifle

So this is what Dr Bollocko and KeithM89 get up to when they're not modding here. ;)

EDIT: Originally I was joking but now that I see that Dr B also mods The Thunderdome I think he may actually sleep with a gun under his pillow. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

off topic(whats new)but i've always believed that people should be allowed to do as much hunting as they like, using their bare hands. That would even things up a bit. Anything beyond a big stick(and even that's cheating)should be illegal. FFS, if you want fish or venison, tesco have it in the frozen aisle. I'm an ex-hunter btw, but I still have a huge gun Audrey.

i suppose we where given nails and teeth for a reason :D

as for animals lingering from a modern hunting bow or crossbow, fat chance those things pack some punch would be equal to a gun considering the range it would have to be used from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I carry a pistol daily, concealed and lawfully.
    I live in the states though where my chances of encountering an similarly armed bad guy are higher than Ireland, so I carry.
    In Ireland I don't and really cant see the need, the gun per scumbag ratio is much much lower.
    I have never drawn my weapon and feel just having it on makes me a much more careful and outwardly "cowardly" person.
    I walk away from altercations, I don't escalate ever.
    Most folks assume I'm just a big p*ssy, this suits me.

BTW did you know until very recently the firearms laws in Ireland (written in 1927) allowed you to carry your piece, the license was implicitly to posses and carry! Also you were allowed to carry if you were a "knacker" ... I assume in the old school sense, ie an animal renderer who needed a method of humane dispatch.
    Knackers, imagine the possibilities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

I hope you dont plan on hunting aliigators:rolleyes:
    it's way more fun with bare hands, the alligator even gets to win sometimes. "Alligator hunting with bare hands" would be a top rated show tbh, it could also be a punishment for those delinquent kids, "go gettum Connor".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I wish I never mentioned hunting now :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,619 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

as for animals lingering from a modern hunting bow or crossbow, fat chance those things pack some punch would be equal to a gun considering the range it would have to be used from

You'd be suprised, if a deer for example can take a shot from something like a .308 round or above and survive for even 30 seconds, I'd seriously doubt whether a bow could be depended on to give a clean kill. That's not to say it can't be done but it wouldn't be as consistent as a rifle.

This is way off topic anyway...

it's way more fun with bare hands, the alligator even gets to win sometimes. "Alligator hunting with bare hands" would be a top rated show tbh, it could also be a punishment for those delinquent kids, "go gettum Connor".

Well i think you will be the one and only hunter in that category then,lol;)
    ;)

• Advertisement

I thought they were all trained to use fire arms..
    I'm not so sure they've all even been trained to use toilets.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

harmoniums wrote: »
    I carry a pistol daily, concealed and lawfully.
    Knackers, imagine the possibilities!

You make a very strong point though Harmoniums. There are a lot of people who feel unsafe and would prefer to carry something on them for their own personal protection. Something such as a mild pepper spray would be great for some people but I can only imagine how easily it would be abused by those who would use it for reasons other than defence.

Shame, too. As a lot of good people get assaulted/robbed through absolutely no fault of their own.

You've mentioned the proportion of gun per scumbag. On a similar topic I've also noticed that, when in Georgia, New York and Wisconsin; that the presence of Police was much higher than it is here. On a night out there's cops on pretty much every corner if not a local/county/state cruiser passing you every five minutes.

Shame that we'll never see this here. Given Garda numbers and the small number of patrol cars/motorbikes attached to a station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    I wish I never mentioned hunting now :rolleyes::D

You derailed our thread.:mad:;)

You'd be suprised, if a deer for example can take a shot from something like a .308 round or above and survive for even 30 seconds, I'd seriously doubt whether a bow could be depended on to give a clean kill. That's not to say it can't be done but it wouldn't be as consistent as a rifle.

The new modern crossbows and compound bows has a serious knock down power,if you hit what you aim for.
    They are well capable of killing an an animal just like a rifle.
    The problem is that you have to do it close up.
    With a rifle you can extend the range,and still make a clean humane kill.

. On a similar topic I've also noticed that, when in Georgia, New York and Wisconsin; that the presence of Police was much higher than it is here. .

I think big gardai numbers in the country would enforce respect? Or at least cop on... ... ..

The new modern crossbows and compound bows has a serious knock down power,if you hit what you aim for.
    They are well capable of killing an an animal just like a rifle.
    The problem is that you have to do it close up.
    With a rifle you can extend the range,and still make a clean humane kill.

Jesus christ like....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I think big gardai numbers in the country would enforce respect? Or at least cop on... ... ..

yep..I know whatcha mean..since they did away with the height requirment all we got now is little gardai numbers...

yep..I know whatcha mean..since they did away with the height requirment all we got now is little gardai numbers...

I'm 6".. female like:D

Jesus christ like....:D

well i think we will leave him out of it for now;)

Personally, I've a firearms licence(so I can't be a complete nutter, apparently), and I like having a gun. It's a nice fall back. So maybe the cops here should be armed, if only because all the health and safety/training courses they would have to attend would mean they had less time available to hassle me about car tax and tyres etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

If the police carry guns then I want to be able to own one.

Fair's fair.

:pac: I promise ,your honour ,to make no smart comments...........

Personally, I've a firearms licence(so I can't be a complete nutter, apparently), and I like having a gun. It's a nice fall back. So maybe the cops here should be armed, if only because all the health and safety/training courses they would have to attend would mean they had less time available to hassle me about car tax and tyres etc.

partial nutter ...?

ohhhh I cant help myself.....you,re like a female..? a transgender garda ?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Fair's fair.

Why cant you? do you have a criminal record?
    if not, apply, pistol wise your limited to a .22.
    Rifle wise a 22 semi auto or a bolt action centerfire.
    If you want a semi auto rifle, you'll need a monitored (like phonewatch or soemthing) safe

well i think we will leave him out of it for now;)

Pff Jesus could solve all our problems with this:P

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/18/Jesus_gun.jpg

Fair's fair.

You can own one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

harmoniums wrote: »
    Why cant you? do you have a criminal record?
    if not, apply, pistol wise your limited to a .22.
    Rifle wise a 22 semi auto or a bolt action centerfire.
    If you want a semi auto rifle, you'll need a monitored (like phonewatch or soemthing) safe

You can own one.

I have no criminal record.

Am I allowed to own a hand gun?

ohhhh I cant help myself.....you,re like a female..? a transgender garda ?

What!?!?:(:D

I have no criminal record.

Am I allowed to own a hand gun?

You can own a rimfire .22 pistol if you are a member of a target shooting club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I am always armed & my legs are not to bad either.

night.

Advertisement