Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai should be armed?

Options
  • 31-07-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I read an article earlier in a newspaper and it really got me thinking.
    They were arguing the Gardai are not taken seriously because they are unarmed!.

I completely agree. I do believe Gardai should be armed with guns. But at the same time, Im not nodding for widespread gun use.

I dont like how Gardai are unarmed and have an aul chat with a suspect etc.
    Its very hard to take seriously!

I dont understand why they are unarmed to be honest.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    I read an article earlier in a newspaper and it really got me thinking.
    They were arguing the Gardai are not taken seriously.

I completely agree. I do believe Gardai should be armed with guns. But obviously, Im not nodding for widespread gun use.

I dont like how Gardai are unarmed and have an aul chat with a suspect etc.
    Its very hard to take seriously!

I dont understand why they are unarmed to be honest.

What does everyone else think?

In certain situations yes without a doubt.

Some of the scum they deal with are too dangerous for go near unarmed imo and frankly it would make people treat with a little more respect in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The Gardaí aren't taken seriously because we have a joke of a judicial system. So if there's no backbone of course the "extremities" are going to appear spineless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

considering some of the specimens that emerge from templemore, I'm not sure we can trust them with cars, never mind guns. They do arm the guards, but only after a while, and a long selection process to weed out the lads you wouldnt give scissors to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

No Gardai would be a risk to the General Public if they were armed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

So can the ordinary public acquire arms as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

No I don't think Gardai patrolling the streets should be armed, they're capable of controlling minor situations with their given equipment and if there is any escalation in trouble they can call for back up.

Solnskaya wrote: »
    considering some of the specimens that emerge from templemore, I'm not sure we can trust them with cars, never mind guns. They do arm the guards, but only after a while, and a long selection process to weed out the lads you wouldnt give scissors to.

Let's try not to generalise for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

No - They would abuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The vast majority of guards have no need for guns, better to have a few highly trained guards in locations where their likely to be needed as I'm pretty sure the guards are already doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

lol, no they should not be armed, I wouldnt trust the average garda with a gun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

I do believe some should be armed to deal with the criminal gangs ect........
    but then again i have my doubts ...some dumb ass coppers out there!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Part of me says they should be but that could lead to escalation. I don't think it would do much good tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Are they allowed to carry tasers or pepper spray? I think that would be sufficient in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

In certain situations yes without a doubt.

Some of the scum they deal with are too dangerous for go near unarmed imo and frankly it would make people treat with a little more respect in general.

Yeah Audrey, exactly! I want to join when they recruit again (and after I attend college) and to be honest, the more I imagine myself in their shoes, the more unsafe I'd feel up against certain situations.

I'm not saying, they should pull a gun on a petty thief in a supermarket but like, if others were about to be harmed by someone or if Gardai were about to be attacked etc etc

And even at that, shooting would be a last resort?

To be honest, I was very surprised the political visits went off without incident because If I was a criminal, "unarmed police force" would be cake?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fear of being shot does not equal respect imo.

WIZE wrote: »
    No Gardai would be a risk to the General Public if they were armed
    dlofnep wrote: »
    No - They would abuse it.
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    lol, no they should not be armed, I wouldnt trust the average garda with a gun.

Again with the stupid sweeping generalisations.

Is it not possible to have a Garda related thread without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

As far as I am aware most garda stations have a gun press and also have specially trained (usually detectives) to use them if needs be.

Manach wrote: »
    So can the ordinary public acquire arms as well?

I see no reason why not, we all have the right to defend ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

The Garda aren't taken seriously because of how useless they are.

I wouldn't trust most of them with a safety scissors not to mind a gun

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Fear of being shot does not equal respect imo.

I wasn't talking about scaring people into respecting them, but it might make people take them more seriously as a police force than little battons and pepper spray.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There are already many armed garda units.

I don't know about arming all the garda maybe the use of tasers guns is the way to go,We wouldn't want another situation like the one that happened in longford a few years ago,(forget the name)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

About a quarter of them are armed.

You just will never see their guns. They keep them covered and are in plain clothes.

Unless they are on jobs
    raid.jpg

Armed response units all over the country too with the ERU based in Dublin.

I do think motorcyclists should be armed though, they work alone and can be first at scene due to their speed and ability to get through traffic fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

They're too quiet. Gun or no gun any cop in the states will demand respect. They just don't have the right attitude. Perhaps they should try being more aggressive (not hitting people) , shout, don't take crap, make an example of people.

If someone does something wrong no matter how small they should be flagged for it and told what they did was wrong.

Cops in the states take "J walking" very seriously and make an example of you if you do it, compare this to a guard I saw a few years back. A man crossed Eden quay without a green man and with a guard directing traffic. She shouted at the man who was in a suit and he just ignored her and walked straight past her.She then turned around as he was walking past her and infront of everyone she did a weird dance/tantrum move like a child, rolled her eyes up to heaven and continued on.

I couldn't take her seriously. Could you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I think they should be armed.

I see no reason why not, we all have the right to defend ourselves.

That's bollox.

I actually think and no offence to anyone out there in the Gardai, but I do think it could do with a "review" or whatever the government calls it.

I guess its another, "why are other countries this way and good aul doormat ireland is another way....."

That's bollox.

Why? We are entitled to defend ourselves, are we not?

In relation to the states, there is double the crime, I guess.

I take them more seriously than our crowd.

Why? We are entitled to defend ourselves, are we not?

Indeed we are, but making instruments with no other function than to kill people freely available to buy is not a good way to go about making the country safer.

• Advertisement

Indeed we are, but making instruments with no other function than to kill people freely available to buy is not a good way to go about making the country safer.

I dont believe anyone other than Gardai and the military should own guns.
    I dont even believe hunters should have them.

Advertisement