Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fed up as cyclists as public enemy #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

No-one is arguing that Irish cycle facilities are fine. They most definitely are not.

Unfortunately, as I've posted before, the Irish public have made up their mind: no-one takes cycle facilities seriously, one way or the other. From the people who design them badly and without binding standards, to cyclists who eschew them, to taxi-drivers who park on them. They're a joke, and that's the way it currently is.

(According to what I've read, it isn't illegal to cycle on the road in Germany; it's illegal to cycle on the road where there's a blue bike path sign.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

smeedyova wrote: »
    , but you clearly don't know anything about Germany if you think that there are anything more than cycling minor issues.
    I think the point is generally that cycling in Germany is by no means perfect, but also that you can't just transplant Germany's system to Ireland for the belwo reasons;
    I usually cycled 7km one way to from home to work. I had to stop at two junctions each with bicycle traffic lights
    If were to use the 3.5km of grade-separated cycle tracks on my 10km commute, I would have an additional ten junctions to deal with, in addition to a countless number of entrances/exits to homes and businesses where priority if given to traffic.
    people cycle one-way so there is no danger of colliding, pedestrians stick to their path and cyclists to theirs.
    Irish people don't. Cyclists ride either way down cycle tracks. Pedestrians walk in cycle tracks, whether or not they are on their own or taking up the entire path ten abreast.

The point being that there's more to "proper" cycle tracks than simply sticking down some red brick or tarmac. The German system works not because they know how do cycle tracks properly, but because the general public knows how to use them properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

seamus wrote: »
    The German system works not because they know how do cycle tracks properly, but because the general public knows how to use them properly.

Exactly. I was bewildered by one of the above replies who asked me what separates the cyclists from pedestrians on bike paths in Germany...am, basic intelligence and education.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Please stick to what you know.

ROBERT SCHNÜLL, DANKMAR ALRUTZ u.a.: SICHERUNG VON RADFAHRERN AN STÄDTISCHEN KNOTENPUNKTEN
    Auch BASt-Studie belegt: Radwege an Kreuzungen besonders unfallträchtig

Wichtigstes Ergebnis: An Knotenpunkten sind Radfahrer auf der Fahrbahn oder - außer im Kreisverkehr - auf Radfahrstreifen erheblich sicherer als auf Radwegen. Dies belegt eine Untersuchung zur Führung geradeausfahrender Radfahrer auf städtischen Hauptverkehrsstraßen für die Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen.

Exactly. I was bewildered by one of the above replies who asked me what separates the cyclists from pedestrians on bike paths in Germany...am, basic intelligence and education.
    That was me :D
    But that's kind of my point. It works in Germany, because that's what the German people are like. It doesn't work in Ireland, because the Irish are less concerned about such trivial laws.

Although people in general aren't that different. I'd be interested to know if the number of collisions between peds and cyclists is noticeably higher in Germany than elsewhere.

• Advertisement

You weren't asked that question though. You were asked what separated pedestrians from cyclists on this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/whetzky/3927543904/

There are good examples that show how effective facilities can be, but you yourself chose this, somewhat undermining your argument.

This information is from 1993!!!!!!!!

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You weren't asked that question though. You were asked what separated pedestrians from cyclists on this:

There are good examples that show how effective facilities can be, but you yourself chose this, somewhat undermining your argument.

What's wrong with that?

The pedestrian part is far too narrow, and the cycle lane passes within one metre of multiple doorways.

What's wrong with that?
    There's no separation. See that wheelie bin there? There's no room for a person to get by there without walking on the cycle lane. Imagine someone walking their dog or pushing a buggy, walking two abreast. They will have to take up at least half of the cycle lane to get by. And for the next 20 metres by the look of it, as the path remains too narrow there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What's wrong with that?

There is barely enough room for the pedestrians, if there are two side by side or if they are coming in opposite directions they have to use the bike path, that said over in west Germany I often found people in the cycle lane near junctions, I pulled onto the road, cars let me out and I pulled back in after the junction. There was no shouting, no injuries, no offence, despite the stereotyping of Germans in this thread, their capacity for common sense outside of the main cities seems to be better than the irish but that was my experience and by no means conclusive to fact.

Uff. I have enough. The reason that there are no bicycle lanes to speak of in this country is because most people have no experience of how things are done properly in other countries. Another reason is the low standards that many people here have and the "it'll do" attitude rather than "let's do this the best way we can." Even the cyclists on this forum seem to think that it is fine to cycle within a few centimetres of a moving bus...well, keep it that way...I know where I'll be cycling in comfort and safety, though :D

Do you really think that this
    is doing things properly?

Do you think this is the end-product of the thought "Let's do this the best way we can?"

I admit that it's not a perfect example, I couldn't find a better one in the time that I had. That said, with a little intelligence it works perfectly and I know that for certain having cycled it many times.

Fair enough. You seem to be implying that Irish people are unintelligent though. That's the second time you've done it. It's probably more to do with having scant regard for rules rather than a lack of intelligence.

Also, if you cycle briskly (not very fast; say, average 20km/h over total journey), I think that example you gave would result in collisions with pedestrians.

That said, with a little intelligence it works perfectly and I know that for certain having cycled it many times.
    The one thing I know is that no matter what system you design, in any context, you cannot rely on human intelligence to compensate for and avoid the flaws in the system.

If anything, you can always rely on humans to discover every flaw in a system because no matter what you do, they will always try to do things the wrong way.

German people are not more intelligent than any other country. As tomasrojo says, I'm looking at that cycle track, and I wouldn't be happy doing any kind of respectable speed on it, no matter how respectful peds were of it. The clearances are too small.

No, it wouldn't, because pedestrians don't walk on the bicycle path in Germany, at least, most of time when I cycle the 7km from home to work I will never come across a pedestrian on the bicycle path.

With that I'm not contributing to this thread anymore...it seems clear to me that most people here like to complain about the Irish system, not do anything constructive about it and attack systems that do work rather than adopt them...

Even the cyclists on this forum seem to think that it is fine to cycle within a few centimetres of a moving bus...well, keep it that way...I know where I'll be cycling in comfort and safety, though :D

It's not fine, thats why you should use good road positioning and leave yourself enough room to move in if it (and most of the time it won't be) is needed. I have found I am given the same amount of room to my right as I have taken from the kerb in almost every situation.

Personally I will be cycling in safety, on the road, in Ireland in a few minutes but thats just how I roll. If you have been in Germany for so long you will realise that there are several parts that have no cycle lanes and some that have unsafe cycle lanes. There are also several parts that have great facilities unfortunately, the few parts of Ireland were these might actually be beneficial do not have the space to implement them or already have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@smeedyova- I have cycled around 600km across Germany, from the French border to Austria. Most of my cycling has been in the south, although I have also cycled in Berlin. I am not entirely ignorant of German cycling facilities. The facilities are unquestionably better than Ireland but from my experience:

- Two-way cycle tracks are very common (e.g. track on only one side of the road.) These were generally sufficiently wide for two bikes to pass easily but not always.
    - Cycle paths often took a less direct route than the road. Sometimes this added tens of kilometers; I remember one section where the road was dead straight like an arrow but the cycle path went back and forth from one side to another constantly. I think it was 40km by the road and ended up being 60km by the bike path.
    - The surface on cycle paths was often far worse than on the road.
    - Cycle paths often suffered from a more severe gradient than the road and went up and down when the road was flat.
    - Shared use paths were common and suffered from pedestrian congestion.
    - Where cycle paths crossed minor roads the cyclist was expected to yield.
    - On-road cycle paths were placed adjacent to the door zone of parked cars.
    - Though not as frequent as here, there were examples of bike paths ending in stupid places.

I have no problem with cycle paths, as long as they are not compulsory. The German network is often very pleasant, especially if you are just pottering along rather than trying to keep up a reasonable speed.

What it comes down to, is there are different types of cycling. The German cycle network is suitable for your type of cycling. It is not suitable for others. As long as it is optional, there is no problem.

With that I'm not contributing to this thread anymore...it seems clear to me that most people here like to complain about the Irish system, not do anything constructive about it and attack systems that do work rather than adopt them...

Most people want it changed (ie the repeal of mandatory use etc.) but they do not want it replaced with a system that will not work with current infrastructure. You can't implement the german system here because of lack of space and the inherent dangers it will place on drivers and cyclists alike by restricting views and increasing the number of junctions, therefore, by proxy the amount of times a collision at a junction is likely to occur.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »

What it comes down to, is there are different types of cycling. The German cycle network is suitable for your type of cycling. It is not suitable for others. As long as it is optional, there is no problem.

That's one thing I've never got a satisfactory answer for: why did the Netherlands and Denmark (and Germany, where there's a blue sign) make use of facilities compulsory? It's not as if cyclists using the road causes havoc in other countries, and I assume the vast majority of cyclists would be more than happy to continue to use the facilities rather than the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

This information is from 1993!!!!!!!!

Correct! We are not talking about quantum physics here we are talking about long recorded, and repeated, observations of established patterns in traffic conflicts. Irish engineers looked at the roadside cycle path concept in 1975 and noted the issue of junction conflicts and noted the need for separate traffic lights.

And, as an aside, they questioned whether Irish cyclists would even use such a system if it was built.

The main issue for us in Ireland is that this infomation was available before the Dublin Transportation Office starting pushing their arguably unworkable segregation model in 1998.

The other business in Germany I find a bit odd is that unless you have a light racing bike, you must have lights fixed to your bike. I can see that probably reduces Ninja cycling, but it also means you can't have very good lights, since you have to have them attached to your bike and therefore vulnerable to vandalism and theft. Having used bottle-dynamo lights for years before getting stronger, quite expensive LED lights, I'd rather not go back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Ah quieten down and get in off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

smeedyova wrote:
    A cyclist in Germany would be stopped by the police for cycling near traffic because it's so dangerous and here we're expected to!

The issues around cycle paths have already been well covered in previous posts so I'm not going to comment on that topic other than to say that I share the views of the shortcomings/limitations of cycle paths generally. What I do wish to ask though is why cycling near traffic is so dangerous, as you describe it in your post above? And if you really believe this to be the case does this mean that in your view cyclists should never venture out on roads outside of cities where no cycle paths exist? That may not actually be what you are implying but unfortunately it is a mindset that the prevalence of cycle paths can foster in the most narrow minded of motorists - for such people if a cycle path does not exist on the road then no cyclists should be on the road, full stop, and this mindset is one of many things that contributes to the dangers posed to cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Some nice photos of a cycle lane in Toronto that's about to be removed.....

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/11/07/14/

Incidentally, I think cycling in Dublin is fine - a bit of common sense and cop-on go a long way to making it enjoyable. It's as dangerous as you want it to be. Simply taking your time, showing some courtesy and being occasionally assertive makes for a positive experience.

Yes, it could be better, but it could also be worse - and trying to retro-fit decent infra-structure to our road network is like watching two elephants shagging - it's a lot of work, it's very noisey, takes a very long time to produce any kind of decent result and in the end you're left wondering what all the fuss was about in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tomasrojo wrote: »
    That's one thing I've never got a satisfactory answer for: why did the Netherlands and Denmark (and Germany, where there's a blue sign) make use of facilities compulsory? It's not as if cyclists using the road causes havoc in other countries, and I assume the vast majority of cyclists would be more than happy to continue to use the facilities rather than the road.
    As far as I know, it was done very early in Germany (1920s) not out of any concern for cyclists, but to get them out of the way so they would not be an inconvenience for motorists. They were only made compulsory in the Netherlands under Nazi occupation, although the earlier motives behind construction had been similar:
    After all, the construction of bicycle paths along the larger roads relieves traffic along these roads of an extremely bothersome element: the cyclist.

- From the timeline here

Jawgap wrote: »
    Some nice photos of a cycle lane in Toronto that's about to be removed.....

http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/11/07/14/

Is it the bit to the right that's the lane? I thought it was the entire part the cyclists are in, but then I thought they're occupying the whole road as a protest.

That Ford guy is an unpleasant character.

blorg wrote: »
    They were only made compulsory in the Netherlands under Nazi occupation

Have to be careful not to Godwin the thread!

It must be said that most people I've talked to in the Netherland and Denmark are very happy with the facilities. Tree roots breaking up the surface was a complaint though. I've a friend in Aachen who complains that the traffic-light sequences strongly favour the road over the cycle facilities.

• Advertisement

BTW, when does the Rathmines-Fairview facility open? I'm cautiously optimistic about that.

Saw it in this the other day:

Advertisement