Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shanedownfall

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 8 catherine healy

I joined the Jackie Skelly Gym in Ballsbridge in August 2010 on what was packaged and sold as a four month gym membership. I clearly stated at the time that I only wanted a short term membership as I would not have time to use it in the later months of the year.

In April 2010, I enquired about new offers. In the course of this, I discovered my original membership had still not been cancelled despite the four month period having long elapsed and my not having being there in months. I had assumed that as per Sale of Goods and Services Act 1980 services would be sold as packaged - four months = four months.

The gym both verbally and in writing stated they were well within their rights to retain this cash (for nothing) as I did sign a contract and in this it did state cancellation was required in writing. I disputed this as the relevant fee was €70 per month and if I required long term membership I would have gone with the cheaper option. The gym said it was within their rights. The only compensation they offered was a six week programme worth a fraction of the money.

I declined and wrote to them the next day asking again for my money to be refunded and any further payments cancelled immediately. This did not happen and the last payment went out on the 2 June. I have written again to them. I have now paid €700 for a purported short term gym membership option that I have not used, (more than a yearly membership), this same short term option requires 28 days cancellation in writing and the cancellation in writing itself appears to count to nothing.

Needless to say I am very disappointed. While I accept I should have paid more attention to the fine print, I will now have to take my case to the Small Claims Court.

Please warn your viewers so that this doesn't happen again to them. I know times are hard but this really is another rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Pretty sure everyone has heard that story already.

Hopefully it will be the feature of a consumer review.

Maybe I should ahve read the written contract rather than relying on their word, but since my recent 'formal' cancellation in April, they are still deducting money for a direct debit in June.

I looked up some UK sites and apparently there are several ongoing instances of this in Energie there.. deducting payments after cancellation has been formally requested..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tem

i assume you are talking about Energie in Ballsbridge

• Advertisement

Yes it is, afraid the moderator won't let me say any more on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tem

Energie don't run these gyms, they are run by a local investment house who pay Energie to put their name to the old jackie skelly gyms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

I see Santry stadium has a new gym with the top equipment, platforms etc. Is this open to general public or reserved for high level athletes? Looks good and i live nearby.

http://www.mortonstadium.ie/#/hp-gym/4548302258

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Reggy

I see Santry stadium has a new gym with the top equipment, platforms etc. Is this open to general public or reserved for high level athletes? Looks good and i live nearby.

I guess not seeing as they have all the membership prices up? Might be worth looking into that for the sake of a €5 pay as you go fee. Wonder how big it is???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Just looked there - was on the verge of thinking I'd join til I seen:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 9pm
    Saturday: 10am - 4pm
    Sunday & Bank Holidays: 10am - 1pm

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Just looked there - was on the verge of thinking I'd join til I seen:

Monday - Friday: 9am - 9pm
    Saturday: 10am - 4pm
    Sunday & Bank Holidays: 10am - 1pm

:(

Typical of the council run gyms I've seen in most counties. Bananas opening hours! One place near here closes the weights room after 1pm on a Saturday or something. Any public service can't be trusted to do anything right anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Moving to Ranelagh. What gyms would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,069 ✭✭✭COH

Sangre wrote: »
    Moving to Ranelagh. What gyms would people recommend?

RAW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

RAW would have been my first guess without doing any research. Sounds like a good setup. Few people on here are there aren't they (including yourself COH)? Just wondering if I had any other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Sangre wrote: »
    RAW would have been my first guess without doing any research. Sounds like a good setup. Few people on here are there aren't they (including yourself COH)? Just wondering if I had any other options.

La Fitness in Darty, Crunch in UCD, Swan Leisure in Rathmines.

Raw is by far the best option though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DeFiend

Thinking of LA Fitness myself...

Reading through some old threads and it seems that the general consensus is that the gym is good but a little too small.

Any recent reviews/ opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

squod wrote: »
    Typical of the council run gyms I've seen in most counties. Bananas opening hours! One place near here closes the weights room after 1pm on a Saturday or something. Any public service can't be trusted to do anything right anymore.

You wanna check out ballymun public gym,amazing fascility loads of dbells but they are all over the floor its a mess.The staff do sweet f all.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Also looking for a gym in Dublin 12 area. The Energie Fitness one in Parkwest would be very central, if anyone has any experience of it?

Or any recommendations of good gym's around the Liffey Valley/Lucan area?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

Loveless wrote: »
    Also looking for a gym in Dublin 12 area. The Energie Fitness one in Parkwest would be very central, if anyone has any experience of it?

Or any recommendations of good gym's around the Liffey Valley/Lucan area?

I joined ben dunne in Lucan about a month ago. Been a member of a few gyms so I know what I like etc. Review as follows:

Pros:
    CHEEEEEAP at €135 for 15 months
    Loads and loads of equipment (good gear too)
    Very big and spacious
    All the members seem sound and staff are helpful

Cons:
    Can get busy but with so much equipment you won't be left waiting
    Showers are crap

I'd recommend it anyway. Better than Liffey valley fitness and cheaper by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Michael 09

DeFiend wrote: »
    Thinking of LA Fitness myself...

Reading through some old threads and it seems that the general consensus is that the gym is good but a little too small.

Any recent reviews/ opinions?

I train in LA Fitness now and again. It's a grand gym but quite small. Very expensive too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭here to be trained

am thinkin of joining this place - anyone a member? whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

You'll get the same and more for half of the membership price in Westpoint around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭selana

hi guys - new here. Just joined up with RAW, the place looks good and the cost was very good.

Anyone here use it? Anything to recommend? Would be looking to be going around 7.00am before work, I presume its packed out then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Its packed on the days of the bootcamps. Otherwise in the mornings its grand.

Great gym!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭selana

Cheers - seems hardcore (more so then I'd be used to). Sound enough crowd there? Am quite overweight so would be a somewhat self concious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

In Crunch Temple bar, swimming poole nice, dressing rooms nice, staff nice, weights area decent enough, the women.....holy mary sweet mother of jesus amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

ferike1 wrote: »
    Its packed on the days of the bootcamps. Otherwise in the mornings its grand.

Great gym!

I've been training there for about 2.5 years. It's still (by far) the best gym in the area but standards are slipping, rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Been training with Ironside since the start of April having previously trained in Crossfit Ireland. Been logging my ascent from sub-par to sub-mediocre on my fitness log: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242587

The place has transformed since April and is rammed full of powerlifting, weightlifting and strongman gear. The shift has been notable from strongman to becoming a general strength + conditioning facility (De-Francoey if that makes any sense). Atlas stones, reverse hyper, Olympic lifting platforms, a heap of racks, dumbbells, drag sled,power racks, gym rings etc. Gym hours are decent and the fees are really good value for this kind of facility. I can't imagine much more that a strength and conditioning facility would need. Dave and Barry are great guys and are great for a laugh/ME-bench session.

Have to say I've been really happy with the coaching, atmosphere and facilities and all for a steal of a monthly price. Only drawback that I can think of is a few annoying people who don't strip bars after they're done (which drives me mental!). I suspect that's the same in 90% of gyms.

Overall highly recommended for anyone interested in lifting on the southside!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

columok wrote: »
    Been training with Ironside since the start of April having previously trained in Crossfit Ireland. Been logging my ascent from sub-par to sub-mediocre on my fitness log: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242587

The place has transformed since April and is rammed full of powerlifting, weightlifting and strongman gear. The shift has been notable from strongman to becoming a general strength + conditioning facility (De-Francoey if that makes any sense). Atlas stones, reverse hyper, Olympic lifting platforms, a heap of racks, dumbbells, drag sled,power racks, gym rings etc. Gym hours are decent and the fees are really good value for this kind of facility. I can't imagine much more that a strength and conditioning facility would need. Dave and Barry are great guys and are great for a laugh/ME-bench session.

Have to say I've been really happy with the coaching, atmosphere and facilities and all for a steal of a monthly price. Only drawback that I can think of is a few annoying people who don't strip bars after they're done (which drives me mental!). I suspect that's the same in 90% of gyms.

Overall highly recommended for anyone interested in lifting on the southside!

The place sounds so cool. I joined my gym for a year long membership days before Ironside opened, so I was pretty gutted. I like my gym, but Ironside's list of equipment is amazing.

what does membership cost and how busy is the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Mauricmo wrote: »
    The place sounds so cool. I joined my gym for a year long membership days before Ironside opened, so I was pretty gutted. I like my gym, but Ironside's list of equipment is amazing.

what does membership cost and how busy is the place?

There's a joining fee of €100 and its €45 a month. No contract either which is great in this day and age!

Place varies busy-wise but I've never had a problem waiting for gear.

Advertisement