Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He's joking about Dunnes Stores.

Isn't that something you could ask staff there though?

It all depends on what you want to do really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Lukeyy wrote: »
    I recently joined Ben Dunne gym in Lucan. I was just wondering what is it like? I'm a complete beginner so I was just wondering what equipment would be best to use? What time of day are they least busiest? Just general information.

Equipment depends on program.

In regards to gym times, do they not have a massive sign up showing the busy periods using coloured men icons?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Lukeyy wrote: »
    I recently joined Ben Dunne gym in Lucan. I was just wondering what is it like? I'm a complete beginner so I was just wondering what equipment would be best to use? What time of day are they least busiest? Just general information.

I've been a member there for a few months now.

It has a decent sized free weights section which is always pretty busy especially between 5 - 9 o clock. Never really had to wait for the use of a bench or that, but it can be quite intimidating if you are a beginner/woman (seems to be a bit of macho weightlifting going on). Range of weights and dumbbells is very good though. Very few people put dumbbells/weights back on the racks so that can be frustrating.

The cardio section is very good as well. Lots of treadmills (~20) and again I've never had to wait for one. There are about a good few bikes/cross trainers/rowers (about 5 of each). Again busiest between 5 - 9 pm.

There is a separate Woman's Weights section with mats and light dumbbells. Usually quiet enough.

The changing rooms are very clean and well kept but there are only 3 showers. I usually shower at home so it's never a big deal for myself.

Overall, I'm very happy with the gym, especially at the price.

As for what machines to use, then it depends on you workout program. Almost all of the common machines are there, so you won't be stuck for things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Reggy

fearcruach wrote: »
    (seems to be a bit of macho weightlifting going

Sickening. And in a gym of all places.....

I've moved house I need a gym in the area (Killiney). The one in Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel is just across the road but they don't have a power rack (shame really) and it's €800 for the year (not value for money).

Has anyone been to Loughlinstown Gym recently? Is it overly packed? Do they have a Sauna/Jacuzzi ?

I've seen old reviews on boards but looking for some recent ones if possible.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ecarr

Unfortunately, these rates are non negotiable, you were offered the couple rate, which is probably the cheapest for the hours you can use the club! It's good value, you could also get the off peak option of 6am-4pm mon-fri and 2.30-10.30 sat&sun which is 81.90 each for a couple. The only thing they can give you a deal on is joining fee, just ask to pay set up fee and nothing else! Its a great place, with experts in the industry, and wonderful facilities. But if budget is your main priority, you're barking up the wrong tree!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭COH

ecarr wrote: »
    It's good value

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

ecarr wrote: »
    Unfortunately, these rates are non negotiable, you were offered the couple rate, which is probably the cheapest for the hours you can use the club! It's good value, you could also get the off peak option of 6am-4pm mon-fri and 2.30-10.30 sat&sun which is 81.90 each for a couple. The only thing they can give you a deal on is joining fee, just ask to pay set up fee and nothing else! Its a great place, with experts in the industry, and wonderful facilities. But if budget is your main priority, you're barking up the wrong tree!:eek:

This is a pisstake, right? That's extortionate, over 1,000 for a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 king Tut

alowe wrote: »
    I'm looking to join a gym in either ashbourne or Ratoath (live ratoath). Verve in Ratoath I think is too small, so was looking at energie or clan in ashbourne.

Does anyone have recommendations on either? I'm looking for probably just a 6 month contract (which they both have), and will probably only get their at either 7.30/8pm at night, or 3.30pm on way home from work.

I was in the NAC, which I thought was great, but only went on way home from work as didn't want a 20 min drive to gym after I got home - and a lot of days had stuff to do after work, so didn't go.

Any feedback on gyms in the area would be really appreciated.
    thanks
    verve gyms are moving to a new studio gym just above supervalue in the next week and the new gym will be nothing like the old one with state of the art new equipment and a frendly staff willing to help latest offer is 299 euro but is only available till 12/9/11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tem

is anyone a member of the council gym in Irishtown....do they have a good free weights area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Guys,

My Ben Dunne membership expired in July and I got a crazy scheme to build my own home gym. Several weeks weeks later and €600 worse off I discovered nothing gives the same buzz as actually going to a proper facility. So now I'm looking at heading back to proper gym a couple of days a week mixed with a day or two at home, the lazy days.

Only thing is, I cant bring myself to go back to Ben Dunne. It was WAAAAAY to busy 24/7, the number of free weights under like 20kg was declining rapidly and overall the clientele had become 19 year old posing teenagers on roids.

So with cost not being an issue (I'm getting brave and dedicated!) can anyone recommend a GYM on the Northside or North CC?

I've heard decent things about the Dublin City GYM in Ballymun?

Cheers in advanced!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Hi all, was going to start a new thread til I seen this.

Can anyone recommend a good gym in around Tallaght/Citywest area?
    Only thing is I'm looking for somewhere I can sign up to for 3/6months, I don't know how long I'll be living in the area & don't want to fork out for a full yr at the mo.

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

I've tried googling Informed Performance in Glasnevin, all I get is a black screen with a skull saying i've been hacked. Whats the story with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭COH

Beffy wrote: »
    I've tried googling Informed Performance in Glasnevin, all I get is a black screen with a skull saying i've been hacked. Whats the story with that?

It closed down earlier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Damn my curiosity! Have I been hacked?

COH wrote: »
    It closed down earlier this year
    Ah, that would explain it. The quest continues. Thanks!
    Monife wrote: »
    Damn my curiosity! Have I been hacked?
    Yes, my bank account has been emptied already! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Yes, my bank account has been emptied already! :eek:

That is not a funny joke :(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

I'm an ex member of Total Fitness Sandyford looking for a replacement, I've enjoyed the rest but it really is time to get back!

Does anyone know the-gym in Rathgar? I only noticed it the other day, obviously their website doesn't have rates or opening times or any useful information so I'm hoping someone can help rather than calling them and getting sales pitch.

Monife wrote: »
    That is not a funny joke :(

Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 freddytiern

MrMan wrote: »
    I'm an ex member of Total Fitness Sandyford looking for a replacement, I've enjoyed the rest but it really is time to get back!

Does anyone know the-gym in Rathgar? I only noticed it the other day, obviously their website doesn't have rates or opening times or any useful information so I'm hoping someone can help rather than calling them and getting sales pitch.

You should pop down they dont hard sell you depends what your looking for in a gym sound bunch not big corporate set up got everything you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

littlemo92 wrote: »
    Hi have had a good read of the posts here as I am looking at Gym Membership in the southside I have moved to Ballsbridge,a colleague has recommended David Lloyds i havnt seen any reviews here,is anybody a member?
    My main interests are free weights, olympic bars,squat rack a good training atmosphere where people are training seriously as I have many years training, and close location,I want to get started asap :eek:

Any help would be appreciated

thanks

There's an energie fitness (formerly Jackie Skelly) in ballsbridge (not too sure where though sorry_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

There's an energie fitness (formerly Jackie Skelly) in ballsbridge (not too sure where though sorry_

I used to be a member there. I wouldn't really call it a gym tbh. It also has practically none of the equipment/facilities he's looking for, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Anyone know roughly how many members each branch of ben dunnes gym has? I was interested in joining and just wanted to know this

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AMT

columok wrote: »
    Been training with Ironside since the start of April having previously trained in Crossfit Ireland. Been logging my ascent from sub-par to sub-mediocre on my fitness log: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242587

The place has transformed since April and is rammed full of powerlifting, weightlifting and strongman gear. The shift has been notable from strongman to becoming a general strength + conditioning facility (De-Francoey if that makes any sense). Atlas stones, reverse hyper, Olympic lifting platforms, a heap of racks, dumbbells, drag sled,power racks, gym rings etc. Gym hours are decent and the fees are really good value for this kind of facility. I can't imagine much more that a strength and conditioning facility would need. Dave and Barry are great guys and are great for a laugh/ME-bench session.

Have to say I've been really happy with the coaching, atmosphere and facilities and all for a steal of a monthly price. Only drawback that I can think of is a few annoying people who don't strip bars after they're done (which drives me mental!). I suspect that's the same in 90% of gyms.

Overall highly recommended for anyone interested in lifting on the southside!

Question...

Does the proximity to Blackrock college have any effect on the crowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

AMT wrote: »
    Question...

Does the proximity to Blackrock college have any effect on the crowd?

Also how does it compare to Raw? Is it much quieter or just as busy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

MrMan wrote: »

I was looking at this place also..Cagey with giving out the prices they wanted me to call in for a look first..

Full Membership: Monthly €55 for minimum 6 months save 15% upfront €570
    Student Membership: Monthly €30 for minimum 6 months save 15% upfront €306 Student Student Hours are limited to 6pm Mon to Fri
    Joining Fee €25 €5 donated to the Irish Heart Foundation..

Bit too pricey for me and as i DJ nights was interested in off peak rates but they couldnt accomadate..Bootcamp and spin classes involved in price.

May head down for a look but that price is still too much and i can only presume(havent checked yet) Carlisle and other gyms in d14 d16 will be cheaper??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 yel_cab

Im planning to join too. Im a complete beginner also and just wondering how have you found it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Lukeyy

Its great. There's a sign thing about the desk that tells you the low/medium/high usage times so its easy to avoid crowds and such :)

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

Ben Dunne Gym is opening in Sandyford in Dec. thinking I might join it. currently in west wood at €900 a year, thing is the parking is free in the Beacon for the 1st 3hours but have an idea this might change when ben opens. plus will it be major packed at peak times which is when i'd go after work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Meredith

Has anyone tried the pay as you go fitness class in Newpark, Blackrock?

Advertisement