Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching outfits at a debs/grad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Ally7 wrote: »
    Mine's in early November, so I should be ok in that respect! I appreciate that point though :)

Is TK Maxx good for dresses at a decent price? TBH I've no interest in paying €300+ for a dress, not worth it for one night!

You can get some lovely dresses on line for €100+. Factor in another €50 for delivery and you have a reasonable bargain. Haven't been dress shopping myself (fell in love with a $400 dollar dress online, luckily I found it half price so it worked out at €230.. Got caught at customs though so had to pay tax on delivery, though that doesn't always happen). I'll have a look in the next few days and post up some sites! :D
    Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Tbh if you didn't match them, it'd look like you picked a random person outside and paid them to come in with you..

I hear ya sista! :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yeah I agree with the matching pocket square but it has to match the tie and dress! :P If it didn't match the tie it would look silly!

Well if he had a plain black/dark tie you *could* get away with just the matching pocket square.. Like it'd look silly some times but it can work I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Mine's in early November, so I should be ok in that respect! I appreciate that point though :)

Is TK Maxx good for dresses at a decent price? TBH I've no interest in paying €300+ for a dress, not worth it for one night!

Ive seen some gorgeous ones in there. They're usually less than 100 from what I can remember. There's no harm in looking sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The lads had their suits before I had my dress. Got it for €50 in AlWear the day before the debs, some laugh ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I'd be very afraid the sizing would be terrible if I ordered online though, I'm quite short you see (only 5 foot 4) so it's probably likely I'll have to get it taken up! I think I'll have a look around locally and if I can't get anything I'll look online.

• Advertisement

I'd be very afraid the sizing would be terrible if I ordered online though, I'm quite short you see (only 5 foot 4) so it's probably likely I'll have to get it taken up! I think I'll have a look around locally and if I can't get anything I'll look online.

I will admit sizing is a bit iffy (my dress was a size too small, I knew this but it was half price) but the chest of it is so weirdly cut so even though inch wise it's grand, fit wise it's not!

As long as you don't have a really weird shape you should be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've looked online for dresses with a view to getting one made. I found one I adore, and it's a simple enough design, so I think I'll go with it.:D

No way am I paying 300 euro for a dress! Way cheaper to get it made imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I think matching his tie to your dress is kind of cringey. I went to 2 debs and my dates had like a black bow tie or black tie. I think it's just classier or something. Though I went to a third debs with a friend and he insisted on matching... Although my dress was gold so it wasn't too bad I suppose. I just hate seeing pink dress with pink tie, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Myself and the GF were matching, tie and dress. Aubergine if I remember correctly, according to herself. I always said purple though ;)

RHunce wrote: »
    Myself and the GF were matching, tie and dress. Aubergine if I remember correctly, according to herself. I always said purple though ;)

Surely yours isn't until August? Went to it two years back and it was just before college started!

• Advertisement

Nah, they're not actually the same colours! :P

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Surely yours isn't until August? Went to it two years back and it was just before college started!

No we had ours over the Christmas. It was a way better time to have it I think. It was during the freeze. At the end of the night I was running late for the bus back into the city and in my drunken state I picked the GF up and ran to the buses with her in my arms. Slipped right outside the bus door with herself still in my arms. She landed straight on my chest, didn't touch the ground, I pride myself on that fact! I was flat on my arse and back. :pac: Now how could I do that during the summer :cool:
    Nah, they're not actually the same colours! :P

It's the same thing, let's be honest here ;)

Doesn't matter. When you're there you won't once think about it.

No we had ours over the Christmas. It was a way better time to have it I think. It was during the freeze. At the end of the night I was running late for the bus back into the city and in my drunken state I picked the GF up and ran to the buses with her in my arms. Slipped right outside the bus door with herself still in my arms. She landed straight on my chest, didn't touch the ground, I pride myself on that fact! I was flat on my arse and back. :pac: Now how could I do that during the summer :cool:

Psh! Debs during school is RIDICLOUS!

You should have it after the LC results and CAO offers when everyone knows what they're doing!

It's the same thing, let's be honest here ;)

Purple

Aubergine:

Case closed! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

You should have it after the LC results and CAO offers when everyone knows what they're doing!

I always thought the few weeks before the results and offers!?

I know if I did bad in the LC and/or didnt get offered what I wanted, I wouldnt be in a mood for celebrating...

But ya, during school is a no-no :p

We had our grads just a week or two before the leaving cert then as well! It was great. I know people said that to me but I thought it was great to be able to have the debs during the Christmas. It was great. Fantastic review in the Leader about how well behaved we were from the hotel managers etc :D

Purple

Aubergine:

Case closed! :P

Same difference :P

We had our grads just a week or two before the leaving cert then as well! It was great. I know people said that to me but I thought it was great to be able to have the debs during the Christmas. It was great. Fantastic review in the Leader about how well behaved we were from the hotel managers etc :D

The year I went (09) I thought yer Debs was so boring!! Nothing compred to ours or the CBS debs!

Yeah I remember that year group! It was supposed to have been a terrible debs! In the Clarion right? I heard they wrecked the place, food fights etc. Idiots. There was less than a hundred people there. We had 300 at ours, in the Radisson.

Muchins and Ard Scoil have theirs during the school year too!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

But ya, during school is a no-no :p

Depends on who's organising it.
    A few of my friends set up an unofficial committee because our school wouldn't give us a debs. They arranged it for January. The night went down in legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

My school's banned from all the Waterford hotels cos it's full of knacks...

Yeah I remember that year group! It was supposed to have been a terrible debs! In the Clarion right? I heard they wrecked the place, food fights etc. Idiots.

No?? Everyone was far too well behaved IMO...

My school's banned from all the Waterford hotels cos it's full of knacks...

Waterford or the school? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Waterford or the school? ;)

The school..

Last year they wrecked an entire floor of the hotel because someone turned a tap on in the bathroom and let the entire floor flood.. I kid you not..

The school..

Last year they wrecked an entire floor of the hotel because someone turned a tap on in the bathroom and let the entire floor flood.. I kid you not..

The worst we had was a fairly funny incident! The guy snuck into the kitchen, passed god knows how many waiters and kitchen staff, down a stairway and into the wine cellar! he was found down there by the guy in charge of wines sitting in a corner on the ground tucking into a €70 euro bottle of wine. Luckily for him he had a lot of cash to pay for it and that he wasn't one shelf over where the really expensive wines were!

The worst we had was a fairly funny incident! The guy snuck into the kitchen, passed god knows how many waiters and kitchen staff, down a stairway and into the wine cellar! he was found down there by the guy in charge of wines sitting in a corner on the ground tucking into a €70 euro bottle of wine. Luckily for him he had a lot of cash to pay for it and that he wasn't one shelf over where the really expensive wines were!

Bloody hell, what hotel in Ireland has really expensive wines?! :P

You'd be surprised at what life outside of Roscommon has to offer :D

You'd be surprised at what life outside of Roscommon has to offer :D

I'm not from/live in Roscommon so wah! :P

• Advertisement

Ballinasloe no??

Advertisement