Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matching outfits at a debs/grad?

• 03-07-2011 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

This is sparked by a thread in Fashion and Appearance but just wondering what people thing about a guy's tie matching the girl's dress for the debs/grad?

For me it's compulsory, it would look to random other wise..

Matching tie and dress? 61 votes

Yes, definitely!
    0% 0 votes
    No, way!
    55% 34 votes
    It's up to the guy.
    16% 10 votes
    No, as long as it doesn't clash.
    27% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

If I can find a cravat that'll match my dress, I'll go with it, but if not, something that doesn't clash will do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Yes, provided neither are neon.

(I took a girl to my debs, I don't really deserve an opinion :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Yes, provided neither are neon.

(I took a girl to my debs, I don't really deserve an opinion :P)

People in neon dresses shouldn't be allowed in to the grad imo! :P

Did your dresses clash? Cause it's kind of the same? Though I wouldn't expect ye to both turn up in purple or something!

Did your dresses clash? Cause it's kind of the same? Though I wouldn't expect ye to both turn up in purple or something!

My cousin showed me a picture of a girl who was at her debs. She wore a dress that was made of some sort of stretch material that looked like tin foil!:eek: I lol'd when I saw it:pac:

My dress was short navy lace and hers was a grey velvet slinky number!

• Advertisement

_meehan_ wrote: »
    My cousin showed me a picture of a girl who was at her debs. She wore a dress that was made of some sort of stretch material that looked like tin foil!:eek: I lol'd when I saw it:pac:

Some people are just so darn classy! :D :P
    My dress was short navy lace and hers was a grey velvet slinky number!

Get's my approval..! Them colours compliment each other..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Ya, really, the tie should match the dress.

Thats about the limit of my fashion expertise

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I went to my debs on my own, and loved it. :cool:

I went to one other debs, and wore a black bow. Not very exciting, but no worries about clashing/matching! :)

Some people are just so darn classy! :D :P

Indeed! I'm dying for someone to turn up in a dress like one of these...

http://www.edressit.com/Main/Product.aspx?ProductID=1652

http://www.edressit.com/Main/Product.aspx?ProductID=1663

http://www.edressit.com/Main/Product.aspx?ProductID=1607

http://www.edressit.com/Main/Product.aspx?ProductID=228

The cockier they are, the funnier it gets:pac:

They would totez go with my child-bearing hips >.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

You wouldn't believe it, but there were some WAYYYYYY worse dresses to be seen at my debs... WAAAAAYYYYY WORSE

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Me and the girl I was going with looked around lots of shops in town for a tie that matched her dress (blue) but couldn't find one like it (lots of blue ones, but either way too bright or way too dark). In the end I accidentally stumbled across a perfect match in Penny's. Advertised at €1, scanned in for 50c. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

At mine it was some sort of rule all the women had made that we much have matching ties. So I had a matching tie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lmfao4eva

Think you guys should have matching ties with dress

It's such a pity I already have my dress got..! Those are amazing! :D :P

I went to my debs on my own, and loved it. :cool:

So glad I bought a friend, didn't wanna be baby sitting a boy for the night!
    The other debs' I went to I knew loads of people there so it was grand like!!

It's such a pity I already have my dress got..! Those are amazing! :D :P

I think the first one if very bo peep looking:P

I think the first one if very bo peep looking:P

Have to admit I love the way the 3rd one can turn in to a shirt dress..! :P

For how much?:pac:

For how much?:pac:

Isn't that illegal?! :eek:

• Advertisement

Oooooops :P :P :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Personally, this is the classiest dress I've ever seen................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5qPql0_ii5v6oTVR4gMQw9ivIac7G0UMbdhYLHT937kXZRCIt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

My dress was black with an ivory bow so my date just went with the rent a tux including a bow tie option. I wanted him to get a waistcoat but he refused.

I think for stuff like the debs if the tie or whatever isn't going to match just go for a black bow tie. One guy wore a red bow tie. It was hideous. Never ever coloured bow ties.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Omg guys after this runs its course can we turn it into a debs thread?
    And y'all can all discuss your dresses and hair and make up and shoes and provide links and pictures and ideas and experiences and stuff.
    Coz as Ive said before I <333 reading debs things!

Also if you didnt wanna match with the tie what about the pocket inner fabric thing matching? I think that can look really well sometimes!
    I think its way nicer when theres some kinda matching :)

Deise you can help me pick out my dress so, we're one of those schools who has our debs during 6th year which means I'll be getting something during the summer. I'm not too excited by the thought of it tbh :/

Ally7 wrote: »
    Deise you can help me pick out my dress so, we're one of those schools who has our debs during 6th year which means I'll be getting something during the summer. I'm not too excited by the thought of it tbh :/

Omg thats soo cool, youre making your debs so soon!
    I remember when we did the JC together :')

I would help with anything, if i had a car I would drive to Kerry to help tbh :P

deise_girl wrote: »
    Omg guys after this runs its course can we turn it into a debs thread?
    And y'all can all discuss your dresses and hair and make up and shoes and provide links and pictures and ideas and experiences and stuff.
    Coz as Ive said before I <333 reading debs things!

Also if you didnt wanna match with the tie what about the pocket inner fabric thing matching? I think that can look really well sometimes!
    I think its way nicer when theres some kinda matching :)

Yeah I agree with the matching pocket square but it has to match the tie and dress! :P If it didn't match the tie it would look silly!

Assuming you're going in to Leaving Cert I'd be careful buying a dress so soon. Most of my year (not just my friends) put on weight during 6th year. Some only put on a few pounds but others put on more.

Something to keep in mind!

Mine's in early November, so I should be ok in that respect! I appreciate that point though :)

Is TK Maxx good for dresses at a decent price? TBH I've no interest in paying €300+ for a dress, not worth it for one night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Tbh if you didn't match them, it'd look like you picked a random person outside and paid them to come in with you..

Mine's in early November, so I should be ok in that respect! I appreciate that point though :)

Is TK Maxx good for dresses at a decent price? TBH I've no interest in paying €300+ for a dress, not worth it for one night!

You can get some lovely dresses on line for €100+. Factor in another €50 for delivery and you have a reasonable bargain. Haven't been dress shopping myself (fell in love with a $400 dollar dress online, luckily I found it half price so it worked out at €230.. Got caught at customs though so had to pay tax on delivery, though that doesn't always happen). I'll have a look in the next few days and post up some sites! :D
    Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Tbh if you didn't match them, it'd look like you picked a random person outside and paid them to come in with you..

I hear ya sista! :P

Yeah I agree with the matching pocket square but it has to match the tie and dress! :P If it didn't match the tie it would look silly!

Well if he had a plain black/dark tie you *could* get away with just the matching pocket square.. Like it'd look silly some times but it can work I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Ive seen some gorgeous ones in there. They're usually less than 100 from what I can remember. There's no harm in looking sure.

The lads had their suits before I had my dress. Got it for €50 in AlWear the day before the debs, some laugh ;)

I'd be very afraid the sizing would be terrible if I ordered online though, I'm quite short you see (only 5 foot 4) so it's probably likely I'll have to get it taken up! I think I'll have a look around locally and if I can't get anything I'll look online.

• Advertisement

I'd be very afraid the sizing would be terrible if I ordered online though, I'm quite short you see (only 5 foot 4) so it's probably likely I'll have to get it taken up! I think I'll have a look around locally and if I can't get anything I'll look online.

I will admit sizing is a bit iffy (my dress was a size too small, I knew this but it was half price) but the chest of it is so weirdly cut so even though inch wise it's grand, fit wise it's not!

As long as you don't have a really weird shape you should be grand!

I've looked online for dresses with a view to getting one made. I found one I adore, and it's a simple enough design, so I think I'll go with it.:D

No way am I paying 300 euro for a dress! Way cheaper to get it made imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I think matching his tie to your dress is kind of cringey. I went to 2 debs and my dates had like a black bow tie or black tie. I think it's just classier or something. Though I went to a third debs with a friend and he insisted on matching... Although my dress was gold so it wasn't too bad I suppose. I just hate seeing pink dress with pink tie, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

Myself and the GF were matching, tie and dress. Aubergine if I remember correctly, according to herself. I always said purple though ;)

RHunce wrote: »
    Myself and the GF were matching, tie and dress. Aubergine if I remember correctly, according to herself. I always said purple though ;)

Surely yours isn't until August? Went to it two years back and it was just before college started!

• Advertisement

Nah, they're not actually the same colours! :P

Surely yours isn't until August? Went to it two years back and it was just before college started!

No we had ours over the Christmas. It was a way better time to have it I think. It was during the freeze. At the end of the night I was running late for the bus back into the city and in my drunken state I picked the GF up and ran to the buses with her in my arms. Slipped right outside the bus door with herself still in my arms. She landed straight on my chest, didn't touch the ground, I pride myself on that fact! I was flat on my arse and back. :pac: Now how could I do that during the summer :cool:
    Nah, they're not actually the same colours! :P

It's the same thing, let's be honest here ;)

Doesn't matter. When you're there you won't once think about it.

No we had ours over the Christmas. It was a way better time to have it I think. It was during the freeze. At the end of the night I was running late for the bus back into the city and in my drunken state I picked the GF up and ran to the buses with her in my arms. Slipped right outside the bus door with herself still in my arms. She landed straight on my chest, didn't touch the ground, I pride myself on that fact! I was flat on my arse and back. :pac: Now how could I do that during the summer :cool:

Psh! Debs during school is RIDICLOUS!

You should have it after the LC results and CAO offers when everyone knows what they're doing!

It's the same thing, let's be honest here ;)

Purple

Aubergine:

Case closed! :P

Psh! Debs during school is RIDICLOUS!

You should have it after the LC results and CAO offers when everyone knows what they're doing!

I always thought the few weeks before the results and offers!?

I know if I did bad in the LC and/or didnt get offered what I wanted, I wouldnt be in a mood for celebrating...

But ya, during school is a no-no :p

We had our grads just a week or two before the leaving cert then as well! It was great. I know people said that to me but I thought it was great to be able to have the debs during the Christmas. It was great. Fantastic review in the Leader about how well behaved we were from the hotel managers etc :D

Purple

Aubergine:

Case closed! :P

Same difference :P

We had our grads just a week or two before the leaving cert then as well! It was great. I know people said that to me but I thought it was great to be able to have the debs during the Christmas. It was great. Fantastic review in the Leader about how well behaved we were from the hotel managers etc :D

The year I went (09) I thought yer Debs was so boring!! Nothing compred to ours or the CBS debs!

Yeah I remember that year group! It was supposed to have been a terrible debs! In the Clarion right? I heard they wrecked the place, food fights etc. Idiots. There was less than a hundred people there. We had 300 at ours, in the Radisson.

Muchins and Ard Scoil have theirs during the school year too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement