Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kat Von D - Airbrushed and Tattoos Concealed

Options
  • 13-06-2011 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭

I came across these pics of Kat Von D recently, where her tattoos were concealed for photoshoot. There's also a pic of her before she was slimmed down with airbrushing for the shoot. I'm curious as to which picture the guys here would go for, I think she's striking and personally think that her tattoos are what make her interesting, without them she's just another pretty face. If you were in a bar and you saw a woman tattoo'ed to that extent, would it stop you approaching her? Or make you more likely to? Which one would you go for?

Tattoos concealed/before airbrushing (apparently the patchy parts are from the concealor and an uneven skin tone or something!)
    914-225x300.jpg
    katvondwithouttatoos1.jpg

Pic with and without the concealor, after airbrushing.
    Kat-Von-D-Tattoo-Concealer-Kat-Von-D.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I must admit that tatoos really don't do it for me at all. I'm not sure why but I just don't like them at all. So yeah, basically I think she looks much nicer without the tats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I have always liked that tattoos and piercing look so generally it would be an attraction for me, it depends on the style of tattoo though as if I really don't like the tattoo it would be a detraction. Also not a big fan of those ear expanders, I like most other piercings but just don't like big expanders.

In fact I was in the mercantile last Saturday night and though there was lots of pretty girls out that night when I was waiting to get served at the bar I saw a girl with a sleeve done and I was very impressed, then when I was walking past her I noticed it was one giant piece that went all across the back of her shoulders and was a full sleeve on her other arm and I really liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I think she looks much better without the Tattoos but tbh I'm not really a fan of them on women anyway. I think hers actually make her look a bit dirty and not in a good way.:D

At best she comes across as a try hard attention seeker and at worst she just looks trashy, like a rockstar groupie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

looks far better without the tats.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I think she is more striking with the tattoos.

I was actually having this conversation with someone already today, personally I'm not put off by anyone who is heavily tattooed, but like Mags below I don't like those expanders - they creep me out just a little.

Tattoos are very individual, and they are an art form, some people express themselves through their style of dress, their hair colour, others prefer to use their bodies as a canvas and get tattoos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Interesting replies there... Sugarhigh I think it's a bit much to say she looks 'dirty', and as for tattoos not looking great on women - I get that it's your personal opinion but IMO it's a huge generalisation and one that's made too often. At the same time though, I'm sure that if I'd posted a pic of a guy with the same amount of tattooing it would probably receive a much more positive response.

I guess it's pointless trying to view the pics objectively when you consider that most people fall into the love 'em or hate 'em camp when it comes to tattoos. I think there's a certain 'overkill' point where art becomes an eye sore, and I think that some people seem to 'fit' their tattoos more than others. But, I think that in this case, her tattoos are a reflection of her identity and don't look in any way 'trashy' or 'rockstar groupie'-esque. She's gorgeous in both pictures, but in the concealed one she could be anyone... In the second one, she's a lot more than a pretty face in the crowd.

Tattoos are very individual, and they are an art form, some people express themselves through their style of dress, their hair colour, others prefer to use their bodies as a canvas and get tattoos.
    What is she expressing apart from a desperate attempt to be as "striking" as possible?

I get the feeling that if everyone else had Tattoos she'd get hers removed.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    What is she expressing apart from a desperate attempt to be as "striking" as possible?

Who says she had them done for anyone apart from herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

She had tattoos long before she was famous so i doubt the above statement. As good as she looks without the the tatts she looks even nicer with'em me thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Definitely with, she's very overlookable without them. Though tattoos on women are offputting to some men they're also a great conversation starter for those brave enough to approach them :D

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    Interesting replies there... Sugarhigh I think it's a bit much to say she looks 'dirty', and as for tattoos not looking great on women - I get that it's your personal opinion but IMO it's a huge generalisation and one that's made too often.
    Some tattoos can look good on some women but IME it's rare. Yes it's a generalization but so is saying that "men don't look good in dresses" it's still a valid opinion.
    At the same time though, I'm sure that if I'd posted a pic of a guy with the same amount of tattooing it would probably receive a much more positive response.
    Probably but that's not really a big deal. What suits one gender won't always suit the other.
    But, I think that in this case, her tattoos are a reflection of her identity
    Which is what?
    She's gorgeous in both pictures, but in the concealed one she could be anyone... In the second one, she's a lot more than a pretty face in the crowd.
    Why the bid desire to stand out for no other reason than standing out? It just seems needy. You say she's a lot more than a pretty face in the crowd but what is she then? Seems like a caricature to me. Just standing out isn't an achievement or something to look up to.

Who says she had them done for anyone apart from herself?
    No one?
    Did you quote the right post? I didn't suggest she was getting them done for other people.

Eh, what?

I have tattoos that in some situations would make me stand out, but not everyone gets to see them.
    I have a professional life that never sees that side of me, purely because it is not professional to stand out in that way in a very conservative job. However, once I'm outside that office I no longer have to cover up the ink or wear appropriate office attire etc etc

Are you telling me that because I'm tattooed I'm desperately trying to be as striking as possible? The majority of people I deal with on a daily basis have no idea I have them!

Ricardo G wrote: »
    She had tattoos long before she was famous so i doubt the above statement. As good as she looks without the the tatts she looks even nicer with'em me thinks
    I don't get your point? Some people will still try and stand out as much as possible even if they aren't famous. It's just being needy for attention.

No one?
    Did you quote the right post? I didn't suggest she was getting them done for other people.

I believe you said it was a 'desperate attempt to look as striking as possible'.

Eh, what?

I have tattoos that in some situations would make me stand out, but not everyone gets to see them.
    I have a professional life that never sees that side of me, purely because it is not professional to stand out in that way in a very conservative job. However, once I'm outside that office I no longer have to cover up the ink or wear appropriate office attire etc etc

Are you telling me that because I'm tattooed I'm desperately trying to be as striking as possible? The majority of people I deal with on a daily basis have no idea I have them!
    She has a Tattoo on her face so it's hardly the same as having a Tattoo that can't even be seen in plain view.

I believe you said it was a 'desperate attempt to look as striking as possible'.
    Yes and?

She wants the attention for herself not for other people so I don't where you get that I thought she was doing for the benefit of others. She's the one who benefits because she's desperate for attention and needs that to be fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was with a girl for a few months that had about 15 tattoos, ranging from her hips, up her side, down her spine ( no tramp stamp ) and a few others on her wrist and few other places, they didnt bother me at all, now she was no way as inked up as K.V.D. but to be honest i dont think they would bother me, I find tattoos interestig anyway. She looks pretty without them but with tattoos shes a stand out so that adds something more too her appeal in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I guess it's pointless trying to view the pics objectively when you consider that most people fall into the love 'em or hate 'em camp when it comes to tattoos. I think there's a certain 'overkill' point where art becomes an eye sore, and I think that some people seem to 'fit' their tattoos more than others.

I definitely agree with the "overkill" point, I like tattoos but I do also think some people get too many so rather than being individual pieces of artwork it just looks like one great big mess but again that is just a personal preference.

I really disagree with labelling tattoos as being "needy for attention", that is like saying because someone takes an interest in fashion and likes to wear a certain style of clothing for their own desires that they are being needy for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Guys guys guys! G86: you get the Kat with the tatts. Sugarhigh, you get the mundane Kat. One for everyone in the audience =D

Except you Morrigan. You get to be standby-Kat for when you're off duty ;)

• Advertisement

She has a Tattoo on her face so it's hardly the same as having a Tattoo that can't even be seen in plain view.

Doesn't matter where the tattoo is, if I didn't work in an office I would probably be as heavily tattood as her, but my profession doesn't allow for it. Hers, fortunately allows her to express herself freely without having to be subjected to dress codes!

Sunshine! wrote: »
    Guys guys guys! G86: you get the Kat with the tatts. Sugarhigh, you get the mundane Kat. One for everyone in the audience =D

Except you Morrigan. You get to be standby-Kat for when you're off duty ;)
    The thing is I actually think this girl ends up looking mundane. It's like they try so hard to be unique they end up all looking the same.

Doesn't matter where the tattoo is, if I didn't work in an office I would probably be as heavily tattood as her, but my profession doesn't allow for it. Hers, fortunately allows her to express herself freely without having to be subjected to dress codes!
    What is she expressing with spots on her face and a flower on her arm?

Yes and?

She wants the attention for herself not for other people so I don't where you get that I thought she was doing for the benefit of others. She's the one who benefits because she's desperate for attention and needs that to be fulfilled.

You've mis-interpreted my post so. You said she got tattoo'ed for attention, I disagreed and said no-one said she did it for anyones benefit but her own. i.e. she got tattoo'ed for herself, not because she's 'desperate for attention'.

If I dye my hair bright red, it's because I like the colour and it's something I personally want - it's not because I'm an attention seeker. If I buy a new dress that makes me look great, it's because I feel great in it, it's not because I'm looking for the attention it may or may not get me. And if I get tattoo'ed it's because I have my OWN personal reasons for it, and it is not a decision based on being 'attention seeking'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

A girl who isn't heavily tattooed bothers me greatly. You need at lease one full sleeve before I'm bringing ya home to meet mammy.

Would you ask Mauri warriors why they are tattooed with the same type of negativity?
    Or an artist why their painting doesn't fit your idea of nice pretty art?

Come on, it's individual taste here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Either way I wouldnt throw her outa bed for eating crisps ;)

but...

She's so much more interesting looking with her artwork, then again i have tattoo's and find tattoos on women sexy (as long as they are well done!)

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter what YOU think she's expressing with it, the point is that she's not afraid to express herself! Tattoos are extremely personal, and what means nothing to you could mean a hell of a lot to the person who has it. However, the fact sadly remains that many people will judge her for this expression of herself, and label it as 'attention seeking' etc., because people are afraid to be different. The tattoo I'm getting drawn up at the moment covers a fairly large area, and will mean nothing to anyone who see's it, but every single detail has a relevance to me - and not for one minute did I take into account anyone elses opinion but my own when designing it.

Would you ask Mauri warriors why they are tattooed with the same type of negativity?
    Or an artist why their painting doesn't fit your idea of nice pretty art?

Come on, it's individual taste here.
    Māori tattoos don't tend to follow fashion fads. People follow teh fad and then come up with the "deeply personal" meaning afterwards. Like how how get a bunch of stars is currently so fad so it turns into this sort of rubbish "The 2 big ones represent my parents coz like I luv em and ehhhh the rest just represents ehh love and stuff".:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

My two cents – there’s definitely a point where tattoos (either on men or women) go from the ‘that’s nice’ to ‘that’s weird’
    For my taste I would say she has too many tattoos but each to their own.

Advertisement