Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

DustyBin wrote: »
    I tried doing the single leg thing once and really really struggled
    I unclipped the foot not being used and had massive big dead spots at the top of each stroke, may try it again to see if the high cadence stuff has made any improvements
    Didn't have a stool to put the other foot on, so ended up mashing my water bottle holder looking for somewhere to put my foot :o

Well done on the duathlon, that's an excellent result. The run less run faster thing is really after working for you

Cheers Dustybin, and I note from another thread that there's a big congrats going your way. It's nature's way of assisting you in getting up for those early workouts! I hope you are all keeping well.

The weekend's LSR got postponed due to the duathlon in Caherlistrane, so a lull in work today provided the opportunity. It was 10 miles at 7:08 pace, but once I started, I knew there would be no getting near pace today, as I felt listless and tired. Instead, I just aimed to get the miles done, regardless of pace.

Route: Work to Indreabhán and back
    Distance: 10 miles
    Time: 1:14:28
    Prescribed Pace/Actual Pace: 7:08/7:26
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 6
    Average HR/Max HR: 154bpm/163 bpm
    Personal Satisfaction: 5
    Weather: Dry, cool, stiff easterly breeze for the first half of the run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

HC is High Cadence which for me is spinning at 110+ rpm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done on the duathlon, Great racing altogether.
    Stick with the swimming - once you get it mastered I think we will all be looking over our shoulders!!!

Macanri wrote: »
    Well done on the duathlon, Great racing altogether.
    Stick with the swimming - once you get it mastered I think we will all be looking over our shoulders!!!

The only reason you might look over your shoulder is if you're distracted by the commotion the lifeguard is causing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Have to say (as someone who would never consider a tri because of the swimming ) your progress on swimming is pretty impressive.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Have to say (as someone who would never consider a tri because of the swimming ) your progress on swimming is pretty impressive.

pgmcpq, I think I must be giving a seriously wrong impression of my swimming ability in this log, as I can assure you that there is nothing impressive about it. I am really slow, and very inefficient (ie I get tired going not very far and not very fast :)).

Where I have improved is in distance, and that's just down to following a specific programme. Before November, I couldn't swim more than a few lengths. I can now swim more than a few lengths, but I need to focus in on my weaknesses now, and get technique sorted.

By the way, I've been following your own log on your journey to Barcelona, you're going great guns. Hope those knees are behaving themselves!

Pyramid session on the bike, legs feeling heavy, and not the longest night's sleep due to the two year old getting carried away with the pan-Arabian revolution, and deciding that his own rulers are oppressing him by making him sleep in his bedroom. The revolution has been temporarily quelled, but I fear he might make another strike for freedom tonight :D.

Time: 40 min
    Distance: 14.03 m (22.58km)
    Ave/Max HR: 128/168
    Ave/Max Cadence: 82/115

Yesterday

AM
    Interval run. Really tired, and difficult to get out of bed but the new regime of early mornings has turned into routine and I got up. I think it's just more difficult to get up on interval run mornings!
    Anyway, the run wasn't as bad as I expected, and even if I didn't quite hit interval pace, I at least managed to stay under 6 minute pace for the intervals.

Route: Trá an Dóilín
    Distance: 4.92 miles (5 x 800m intervals)
    Time: 37:27
    Prescribed Pace/Actual Pace: 5:28/5:44, 5:44, 5:50, 5:55, 5:55
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 8.5
    Average HR/Max HR: 167bpm/221 bpm
    Personal Satisfaction: 8 (good to go out and feel the effort)
    Weather: Cold, dry, bit of a westerly breeze

PM
    Ever since I finished the zero to 1650 programme, I've been going to the pool with no real plan, and with no real plan, I've tended to finish up without putting any major work into my swimming. Yesterday, I started on the shorter of Interested's sessions, and found it tough but doable. I have to figure out my times for various distances so as do to the sessions properly, and buy and some swimming accessories other than goggles, togs and cap, so as to be able to do the drills. I definitely felt the work by the end of the session (kicks kill me), but a feeling of satisfaction overall.

Done
    200m w/u
    6 x 100m
    10 x 75 (25m fs, 25m kick, 25m fs)
    200m c/d
    Total: 1750m

Heading to Clarinbridge tomorrow for another in the duathlon series. Just noticed today that I'll miss the Spiddal tri due to holidays. P*ssed off, but of course, it denies my nemesis the chance to shine in the water :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Awful windy out there, Clarinbridge will be a nightmare if the rain kicks in, although it looks like it will hold. With that strong bike of yours last week I might be as well off dodging you in Spiddal.

I will be pinning all my hopes on a few Summer Aquathon victories.

I don't think there is too much needed for Interested plans, certainly a kickboard anyways but the only thing I can remember using besides that was a pull buoy once so far..... you would get get by with putting your kickboard between your legs. I bought my swim stuff on wiggle

Certainly the bollox has no time for fins from what I can see :D

• Advertisement

Another Sunday, another duathlon, another day out with my wife and the boys. I wasn’t long parked when Catweazle came over, wondering aloud how much house work I do to get day passes to races. Stop sowing seeds, Catweazle! Weather-wise, although the rain held off until after the race, it was colder and darker and not the best day to be out with the two young boys, so M brought them on a spin to distract them. She was gone when I remembered that I had left my cycling shoes in the car, so an emergency phone call and a run down the road sorted me for a warm-up :).

Run 1
    Two other members of the fledgling club were there yesterday, Setanta and Pádraic, and a lot of now-familiar faces from last week’s duathlon. It was a beautiful start to the run, through a windy path in a forest, and then out on the road before entering Kilcornan woods. I felt the legs heavier than last week, possibly the result of tiredness due to the eldest of the two boys being pretty unsettled, sleep-wise, over the past few days, and on the turn into the woods, I could count ten people ahead of me. I passed one or two but could still see a good few people up ahead. Out on the road again, and the legs had recovered a bit, and I had a mild and pointless tussle staying just ahead of someone coming into T1.
    Distance: 2.4 miles (3.87km)
    Time: 14:48
    Average Pace: 6:09m/min (3:49k/min)
    Average HR: 169
    Max HR: 179

T1
    Hit lap on the multisport setting on the Garmin, but hit it again while putting the watch on the bike, so T1 was longer than the 13 seconds shown. Closer to 30 I think.

Cycle
    I had a bit of a nightmare trying to get my feet into the shoes on the bike, and had three goes at it… per foot :eek::o. Meanwhile, my messing about led me to be quickly passed by two bikes. Thinking back on last week, I resolved to put more work into the bike, and although overall speed was down (20.1mph), I felt, with the wind and the type of course, that I actually had put more work into it. I also noticed from last week’s figures that my cadence was at an 83rpm average, so I decided to try and stick to a higher turnover. I came in at a 90rpm average, and my legs thanked me over the second run! A few nice tussles on the bike between two other competitors (although they did eventually seem to form a casual alliance and head off!). I was working hard trying to close them down, when my momentum was briefly killed by a mini-traffic jam at the last junction, and had to slam on the brakes while waiting for an MPV to get out of the way :mad:.
    Distance: 9:87 miles (15.89km)
    Time: 29:30
    Average Speed: 20.1mph (32.3kph)
    Average HR: 163

T2
    I could see the guy ahead of me on the bike head into transition, so it focussed a rush transition by me and got out just ahead of him.
    Time: 17 secs

Run 2
    The usual feeling in the legs of mush, but the watch indicated I was going ok. I could see a lad ahead so I aimed to reel him in which took about a mile to do. I could see another guy ahead of him, and realising that I was feeling much stronger on the second run than I did last week, I put the head down and managed to pass him about half a mile from home. No one to be seen ahead after that, so the focus was in making sure I wouldn't be overtaken before the finish.
    Distance: 2.4 miles (3.86km)
    Time: 14:55
    Average Pace: 6:13m/min (3.52k/min)
    Average HR: 173
    Max HR: 178

Overall, I felt I ran a much better race than last week, but was sure I was finished around 7th or 8th. Delighted, so, to finish in 4th (snap, nomadic!). My highest finish in any race, regardless if some of the top guys weren’t around on the day. The pacing was definitely better than last week as, although my first mile on the first run was slower yesterday compared to last week (6:08 v 5:55), there was only a second in the average times between the two runs. The second run was definitely stronger than last week so maybe there is something, after all, in not rushing out like a headless chicken at the start!

The winner, for the second time in three races, was Peadar Harvey, who is an unbelievably strong runner. A nice crowd, and another well-organised Predator event. I met amphkingwest, as well as Catweazle, from Boards.

Overall, delighted with my day, and to reach a rare and dizzying height of fourth!

Time: 59:46
    Average HR: 167
    Placing: 4th
    Percentage of field: 9%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Nice work. You paced it really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done....you gave me a good hiding on the bike as well! There were some strong guys behind you yesterday so nice going

Well done yesterday. Spotted the results last night. You're in flying form. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Excellent going all together - to run the second run just 7 seconds slower than your first run indicates perfect pacing. I would say very few on the day ran their 2 runs with as little difference between the 2 times.

nomadic wrote: »
    Nice work. You paced it really well.
    Cheers, looking at your Fingal results, would be nowhere near 4th in that race!
    catweazle wrote: »
    Well done....you gave me a good hiding on the bike as well! There were some strong guys behind you yesterday so nice going
    Thanks. I'll just keep avoiding you in any water-based activity :)
    Macanri wrote: »
    Excellent going all together - to run the second run just 7 seconds slower than your first run indicates perfect pacing. I would say very few on the day ran their 2 runs with as little difference between the 2 times.
    Delighted with the pacing, but more by mistake than by purpose I learnt my lesson. Legs felt heavy initially so took it slower at the start, and it worked! Lesson learnt for the future.

Yesterday

Had someone look at my swimming yesterday, a few interesting observations made. My head was facing straight down, instead of looking at a more forward angle. She gave me a few drills regarding my stroke, and there was further evidence of my poor kick. She gave me a kickboard, off I went kicking, going absolutely nowhere! It's frustrating but it's a case of doing some work on it.

Done:
    900m

Today:
    Following pgibbo's suggestion, I tried a cadence-focussed session on the turbo this morning. After last Sunday's duathlon, I've no doubt but that a higher cadence is the way to go if I'm to run off the bike...
    Time: 45 min
    Distance: 10.9 m (17.54km)
    Ave/Max HR: 125/158
    Ave/Max Cadence: 88/117

I've fallen into a bit of an energy slump (aka laziness) lately and yesterday was the first morning in a long time that I turned off the alarm and stayed in bed, rather than getting up to train. What harm, I said to myself, justifying the extra pillow time, I'll go for a run at lunch time. Didn't do that either.
    In the end, I went to the pool after work with two of the lads, and had what was more a social event than a workout! We used the opportunity, though, to figure out our 50m and 100m times. Very important stuff :D
    Done:
    800m

I got up to this morning's alarm, but no workout. Time to cop on...

Nothing again yesterday. It's funny how inaction begets inaction, and the only cure is action.
    Anyway, I got up today, and after my wife came in from her treadmill session in the shed, I headed out for a six miler. The Garmin was drained of juice (it must have switched on in my bag), so with no pace to guide me, I guess you could call the effort moderate at best. At least I'm back doing something, which is just as well as this is going to be a very busy weekend between the elections and the duathlon...

Route: Home to Cladhnach and back
    Distance: 6 milesTime: 37:27
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 5
    Personal Satisfaction: 6 (not much effort, but good to have gotten out)
    Weather: Dry after last night's rain

Between the craziest work week and weekend so far this year, and the small matter of hosting our inaugural club event, it's been a busy past few days and training has accordingly suffered. Despite this (or maybe because of this), I've picked up a slight groin niggle, and while I thought that by just swimming today, I would give it a break, I actually seem to have exacerbated it. I had hoped to do the TriLakes duathlon in Ballinrobe on Saturday, so I'll take (another!) day off tomorrow and see how it feels.

Tuesday:
    Pyramid cycling session on turbo
    Time: 40 min
    Distance: 14.12 m (22.85km)

Wednesday:
    Tempo run
    Route: Home to Cladhnach and back
    Distance: 5 miles
    Time: 34:02
    Prescribed Pace/Actual Pace: 6:34/6:44, 6:43, 6:39, 6:48,7:04
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 6
    Personal Satisfaction: 6
    Weather: Lovely morning, but a bit of a breeze on the return leg home

Today:
    Swim
    Need to buy kickboard and pull buoy if I'm to do my drills. Makey-uppey session instead :o
    200m warm up
    4 x 50
    2 x 100
    1 x 200
    2 x 100
    4 x 50
    Done: 1000 meters
    200 metre cooldown culled due to the fact that I should have been back at work long ago by then!

• Advertisement

Another Sunday, another duathlon in the west! Ballinrobe was chock-full of Boardsies for the event, with pgibbo being the first I met, taking care of registration in Padraig Marrey's impressive bike shop. I had been carrying a bit of a groin strain for a few days, but the prospect of a race was too much, especially with other club members coming along.

The initial run was a really nice 3k, mostly along the banks of the Robe. I've no splits from the day as I kept pressing wrong buttons on the Garmin... it was that kind of day. Off on the bike, and on the first turnaround, after a quarter of the course, I was fifth or sixth and feeling good. Some of the road was dog-rough, but after being passed by three cyclists (if I see another bloody Covey Wheelers cycling jersey whizz past me!!!), there was nothing more coming my way so I set about consolidating my position and hoping to pick up a place or two on the run. Then, as I looked behind me coming up to the halfway turn, I noticed a train of six or seven cyclists coming at ferocious pace. They flew past me after the turn, and with the pre-race briefing singling out the previous week's TríSpórt duathlon for drafting (:confused::confused:), and warning that time penalties would be strictly enforced, I let them go, safe in the knowledge that justice would be served :rolleyes:.

With the little hill up to transition, I left it late trying to get my feet out of the shoes, and made a bit of a balls of that. In and out of transition, I passed two runners I think (one being El Director, who was suffering from cramp), but couldn't get into the top ten and finished twelfth.

Post-race observations include:
    *45 minutes on the turbo is a waste of time if I don't get a long cycle in every week. My cycling is poor, and I didn't realise it until last Saturday when I was being passed by quite a few cyclists. The shorter spins in the TriLakes/Predator series had me believing I was better on the bike than I was, but the slightly longer cycling in Ballinrobe, coupled with the shorter run, gave a more realistic picture of where I am.
    *Racing with an injury is silly. I didn't feel the groin at all during the run, but as the cycle went on, I began to feel it more and more. Nothing done since due to the groin, and going to a physio this evening. Silly.

After the race, I met El Director for the first time, who, despite cycling in his runners rather than cycling shoes, still passed me on the bike! Nice bike, El D, by the way! I also met CKWPORT and Yop, plus it was a good day for our new club, with Maria Boyle the first woman home for TríSpórt.

All in all, it was an enjoyable race, but I was going home feeling annoyed with myself. In hindsight, it was the eye-opener I needed to see what I really need to do.

Time: 1:04:15
    Distance: 3k run, 23k cycle, 3k run
    Position: 12th
    Percentage of field: 9.2%

A tweaked hip flexor, apparently, has me going out of my mind for the past few days, and up until today, I've done nothing since Ballinrobe (if you don't count the cross-training that is digging up sh*te Conamara land and trying to turn it into a lawn!).

Whatever I had done until now had aggravated the hip flexor, and it took me until last night to think of getting a pull buoy, so I could swim without kicking. Good to get something done, but at 1400m, I had a weird sensation on my forehead, like the headache you get if you eat a load of ice-cream quickly:confused:.

Anyway, 1500m done with the pull buoy and glad to be able to do something :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Be careful with the hip flexors!! I suffered with poor flexibility around that area last year and suffered with severe low back pain as a result of it. There is a good few exercises you can do to help the area.

Be careful with the hip flexors!! I suffered with poor flexibility around that area last year and suffered with severe low back pain as a result of it. There is a good few exercises you can do to help the area.

Sharing is caring JB. :D What exercises did you find beneficial? Cheers.

Will you be out for long R?

Ice-cream headaches int eh pool. Not good.....God help you when we hit the OW.....:eek:

Funnily enough, I also have lower back pain, though that came from some silly heavy lifting before Christmas. I'm sure it doesn't help with the hip flexors though. As pgibbo said, sharing is caring with those exercises!!
    pgibbo wrote: »

Will you be out for long R?

Ice-cream headaches int eh pool. Not good.....God help you when we hit the OW.....:eek:

Ha! It better not have been the cold, or I'm in real wuss territory! Don't know how long it'll take, thought it might have eased off by now but no real sign of clearing up yet. Might head back to the physio before the week's out if it doesn't ease. Working the spade over the past few days hasn't helped, I'm sure, and now I've a good excuse to abandon manual labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

You sure you weren't just trafting too close :D Seriously though let the body be your guide. I cut half of my planned sessions last week as I was teetering on the edge. El Director is a great example of quality over quantity and dishing out great perfomances after illness/injury. Hope the hip recovers soon for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

These are hard to explain without demonstrating but my physio gave me these few exercises to assist with recovery and more importantly help with the flexibility.

1. Lie flat on your back on a table with your arse just dropping off it. Drop your right leg naturally keeping it loose and raise your left knee to your chest (do this slowly and increase the distance each rep). Rinse & repeat the opposite side.
    2. As above but do leg raises instead of knee to chest. If someone cannot raise the leg for you then use a towel wrapped underneath the foot and raise it towards you. (do this slowly and increase the distance each rep depending on flexibility).
    3. Stand up and step forward with the foot of the uninjured hip/leg. Keep both your feet pointing forward and bend your forward knee slightly and shift your weight onto that foot. Bring your hips forward so you do not bend your torso and keep your back straight and shift forward until you feel the stretch around the injured hip.
    4. Sit straight up with the bottoms of your feet touching each other and your knees open to the sides. Try to touch your knees to the floor.
    5. This is more for longer term but start looking at some strenght/core work in the gym if you can. You can even do some simple core exercises at home if you have no access to the gym.

Ahem....this does not count as medical advice and it is probably best to see a physio:)

Going to a chiropractor tomorrow, as I suspect my lower back pain is linked to the hip flexor problem, and add in the adductor tear earlier, I think there is more than enough evidence there that I need to start doing core work once I'm repaired...

Meanwhile, 2000m with pull buoy yesterday.

Chiropractor did some work on my back and inflicted some serious pain on the groin. He said that I could run, but with no intensity, no cycling though and swimming with pull-buoy only. So...
    Yesterday
    Yesterday was my first run in what felt like an age. The legs were predictably heavy, but it was good to get running. I didn't put any pace into the run, although it was a pretty hilly tour of little roads around where I live. Then, with about a mile to go before home, as I was hopping up from the shore onto a hillock, I tweaked the bloody groin again :mad::mad: Hopefully not too bad, we'll see.

Route: Home to Trá an Dóilín, Caladh Thadhg, bóthar Phádraig Mhacky, céibh an Dóilín.
    Distance: 5.4 miles
    Time: 42:10
    Average Pace: 7:48
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 5
    Personal Satisfaction: 7 (good to be out running again)
    Weather: Cool, crisp, perfect morning

Today:
    With the big St. Patrick's Day tides in place, I brought the two year old down to the shore for the first time for some Conamara fishing... with a spade! With the tide so far out, it's open season on razorfish and clams. He was well into it, until he fell into one of the holes I had dug, and then a razorfish spat some water at him...
    After that, we headed into town, and I did a 2000m session with the pull buoy. I fear I'll be too dependant on that pull-buoy by the time this injury has sorted itself out!

• Advertisement

Sunday

A gentle six miler with no purpose but to log a few miles and not get myself injured! The groin felt restrictive in terms of stride, but fine other than that. It's definitely getting better, and I'm back to the chiro this morning so it'll be interesting what he'll say.
    The run was a strange one though, as after about three miles, I started feeling cold and a bit weak. I stopped for a few minutes, and then took the straight road home rather than the few other boithrini I had in mind to stretch out the run. A strange one, but it's happened before and passed without incident.

Distance: 6 miles
    Time: 45:21
    Average Pace: 7:33
    Personal Exertion (out of 10): 5
    Personal Satisfaction: 4
    Weather: Felt very humid initially, then drizzley, then really cold (I think that may have been me at the end!)

Yesterday
    More pull-buoy swimming. Using the legs again after this injury has cleared up is going to be quite a shock!
    Done: 2000m with pull-buoy

Advertisement