Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Comments

Hmm, interesting. :)

What this does show though is that it's obviously not using the same TS as Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

Apogee wrote: »
    @dbcool *Any* DVB-S2 HD receiver will do. You just might have to do some sums!

Firstly, check if you can setup a user-defined LNB in Technomate (may be under Antenna Installation). You will have option under one of the headings to change the LO (Local Oscillator) - set this to 18750MHz. When you then go to do a scan, you should be able to enter a frequency of 20185MHz.

If you can't setup a user-defined LNB (you should be able to!), then cheat. Pretend you're using a Universal LNBF. 20185 - 18750 + 9750 = 11185MHz - scan that frequency with SR 25000, FEC 1/2, QPSK, DVB-S2.

Please post pics of your dish and LNB/F if it works!

Sorry folks but im genuinely interested in trying this - but i need to know - where can i get a suitable LNB? - i have a spare dish and several Universal LNB's which are obviously incorrect for this - can you let me know please.

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Perhaps a silly question from a novice here. I read that several games are being shown in HD over the weekend. I have an LG Tv which is picking up the Digital Channels, is this enough to watch them in HD or do I need anything else? Will it just change to HD or will a seperate channel appear? Apologies if any of that sounds stupid.

Perhaps a silly question from a novice here. I read that several games are being shown in HD over the weekend. I have an LG Tv which is picking up the Digital Channels, is this enough to watch them in HD or do I need anything else? Will it just change to HD or will a seperate channel appear? Apologies if any of that sounds stupid.

RTÉ Two on Saorview is already in HD, it just upscales programmes at the moment. If you can get it now on Saorview then you're set, nothing else is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Karsini wrote: »
    RTÉ Two on Saorview is already in HD, it just upscales programmes at the moment. If you can get it now on Saorview then you're set, nothing else is needed.

Ah very good, that will be interesting. Thanks for clearing that up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Karsini wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting. :)

What this does show though is that it's obviously not using the same TS as Saorview.

Because they are testing?

They can put ANYTHING on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Hi guys is there anyway to get RTE on an old sky box that you have taken the card out of, can get all the other FTA channels but not RTE
    thanks

No. There is no method to get RTE on a Sky box other than a Subscription.

That's why RTE NL has just spent €80M building a Terrestrial Network and is renting space on Ka-Sat.
    www.saortv.info
    www.saorview.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Hi guys is there anyway to get RTE on an old sky box that you have taken the card out of, can get all the other FTA channels but not RTE
    thanks
    Short answer: No.
    Longer answer: RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 are encrypted on the Sky service and there are no plans for this to change.

Edit:Watty beat me to it. Again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

watty wrote: »
    No. There is no method to get RTE on a Sky box other than a Subscription.

That's why RTE NL has just spent €80M building a Terrestrial Network and is renting space on Ka-Sat.
    www.saortv.info
    www.saorview.ie

I'm somewhat confused by all the info coming out from Saorview today.

I've got a SKY subscription and obviously receive RTE1, RTE2, TV3 & TG4. Will I receive all the new additional RTE channels automatically on that SKY subscription ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Apogee

@Healy1 - If you're looking for something along the lines of the integrated feedhorn/LNB you use with Sky (LNBF), it simply doesn't exist yet for Saorsat.

StandardLinearLNBF10750_1.jpg

You can source standalone Ka-LNBs ...
    lnb_ka_dro.jpg

... but not a suitable depolariser/feedhorn which attaches to above - wrong waveguide interface.
    HNFEED_74P_Ka-1.jpg

You can get various half measures if you're interested in messing about, but none of them is really suitable for long term use for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

eigrod wrote: »
    I'm somewhat confused by all the info coming out from Saorview today.

I've got a SKY subscription and obviously receive RTE1, RTE2, TV3 & TG4. Will I receive all the new additional RTE channels automatically on that SKY subscription ?

Under legislation the channels will be made available to Sky and UPC, however it's is purely up to them if they want to carry them or not, they are not obliged to show them.

So any guess Apogee how much better signal with proper feedhorn and circular polarised?

Should be a lot better. I lashed it up very quickly (it was pouring) but even in driving rain, the picture was stable. Signal is very robust.
    What size dish and approx part of Ireland and how far of main axis of dish (i.e. where is dish actually pointed?).

Dish is 1.4m. Ka-LNB is 4/5 degrees off centre. South West.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Under legislation the channels will be made available to Sky and UPC, however it's is purely up to them if they want to carry them or not, they are not obliged to show them.

The Market will probably demand they show them with RTÉ 2 HD being the big selling point, however if Sky will devote that much space to a HD channel is another thing, especially considering the size of the Irish market in comparison to the UK one, and how much better value they could get using the slot for a new HD channel in the UK instead.

Freesat and FTA boxes are beginning to hurt Sky in Ireland as more people drop Sky and go FTA instead, Sky's decision to carry BBC3 and BBC4 on the ROI EPG recently is evidence of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Should be a lot better. I lashed it up very quickly (it was pouring) but even in driving rain, the picture was stable. Signal is very robust.

Dish is 1.4m. Ka-LNB is 4/5 degrees off centre. South West.

Where abouts in Ireland are you located Apogee ?

I'm in Newtownabbey and was wondering what size of dish I'll need, although, hopefully, Saorview should be OK here when Clermont Cairn's power is turned up after ASO (end of next year maybe ?).

@Healy1 - If you're looking for something along the lines of the integrated feedhorn/LNB you use with Sky (LNBF), it simply doesn't exist yet for Saorsat.

I'm reliably informed by a knowledgeable source that suitable domestic LNBFs specifically produced for Saorsat will be available. I suspect RTE will not "launch" Saorsat as public service until they are. So they may deliberately keep test loops on it for now.

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Where abouts in Ireland are you located Apogee ?

I'm in Newtownabbey and was wondering what size of dish I'll need, although, hopefully, Saorview should be OK here when Clermont Cairn's power is turned up after ASO (end of next year maybe ?).

Ballycastle is worst. Newtownabbey should be no worse than Malin Head Donegal, which needs 100% coverage on a reasonable size dish. The map is very distorted, so it's not too obvious!

120204.png
    The coloured spots are NOT sharp. In normal terms the "real" usable coverage for a normal dish is about x2 diameter or x4 area. Even on Ka spots are not THAT small. But the vertical red line shows limit due to interference from identical French spot (likely not even as far as that red line). The smaller short red line near Scotland is my estimation of 110cm to 120cm limit

I'm reliably informed by a knowledgeable source that suitable domestic LNBFs specifically produced for Saorsat will be available. I suspect RTE will not "launch" Saorsat as public service until they are. So they may deliberately keep test loops on it for now.

Sure it's in Eutelsat's interests if nothing else to push manufacturers in making suitable LNBFs - Ireland offers them a showcase for other countries/regions in Europe who would seek to avoid encryption charges for localised programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

The Cush wrote: »
    @Apogee

Great posts.
    + 1.

Whence 'Apogee':

whenceapogee.png

Appropriate on both counts don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

From looking at that map picture above, is it safe to conclude that Saorsat will be of no use to get free RTE when outside Ireland?

So they only way to get RTE outside Ireland will be a Sky subscription?

If so then why all the fuss, wont 99% of the country be on a simple aerial anyway.

I travel to UK & France a bit so free RTE abroad I would love.

• Advertisement

Betsy Og wrote: »
    From looking at that map picture above, is it safe to conclude that Saorsat will be of no use to get free RTE when outside Ireland?

If so then why all the fuss, wont 99% of the country be on a simple aerial anyway.

Strangely Betsy, when I was in Lazerote last year, one of the English speaking local radio stations on the island was advertising a local aerial firm who were able to provide BBC, ITV, etc. along with RTE through an aerial (not a dish) for expat residents. How they did this and what RTE services were provided I have no idea.

I diid notice some quite enormous dishes (severel metres in size) in the back gardens of some of the properties in Playa Blanca.

You could try something like a slingbox maybe ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Strangely Betsy, when I was in Lazerote last year, one of the English speaking local radio stations on the island was advertising a local aerial firm who were able to provide BBC, ITV, etc. along with RTE through an aerial (not a dish) for expat residents. How they did this and what RTE services were provided I have no idea.
    Probably using a video sender on the back of a sky box :P

UPC do the same, more or less

Saorsat can only exist BECAUSE it can't be received outside Ireland. Or at least eventually won't be. Or not very far outside!
    Betsy Og wrote: »

Technically Sky are obligated to kill your card if they know you are outside Ireland as it's a condition of their contracts with TG4, TV3 and RTE that the transmission is securely encrypted and only to Irish addresses.

The Satellite service is for the 2% to 5% who won't get it by Aerial. Perhaps over 20,000 households is the market. Also the service is backup feed for all DTT sites and primary feed for any future self help Community DTT schemes.

As you move away from UK & Ireland the dish size even for Astra 2D gets dramatically larger. 44cm is enough in London (0.44m) and 2.5m may not be enough in Southern Italy.

RTE is supposed to be running an International Service. But the Government has not yet released funding. Since the Government has NOT funded DTT or Saorsat, RTE quite reasonably thinks any service for people OUTSIDE Ireland should be directly funded, like DW is.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,12680,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

RTE is supposed to be running an International Service. But the Government has not yet released funding. Since the Government has funded DTT or Saorsat, RTE quite reasonably thinks any service for people OUTSIDE Ireland should be directly funded, like DW is.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,12680,00.html
    I thought the Govt. didn't contribute anything to DTT?

Thanks. Typo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

Are they testing this?

http://www.lyngsat.com/eka.html

Is RTE Broadcasting now? Where can one get LNB's that work? Can someone import a couple?

Has anyone picked it up? It is circular polarisation rather than the usual horizontal/vertical?

zg3409 wrote: »
    Are they testing this?

http://www.lyngsat.com/eka.html

Is RTE Broadcasting now? Where can one get LNB's that work? Can someone import a couple?

Has anyone picked it up? It is circular polarisation rather than the usual horizontal/vertical?

Yes, it's true.

It's currently only pre-encoded test loop (a PC can play that back for entire carrier/Transponder).

Yes. At least three reports.

Apogee
    chputney
    Gerry Walsh

see also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72446010#post72446010
    And http://www.techtir.ie/blogs/watty/rte-kasat-tests

It's Left hand circular polarised @ 20.185GHz.

Suitable LNBFs will be available really soon. Current LNB options are awkward and expensive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Market will probably demand they show them with RTÉ 2 HD being the big selling point, however if Sky will devote that much space to a HD channel is another thing, especially considering the size of the Irish market in comparison to the UK one, and how much better value they could get using the slot for a new HD channel in the UK instead.

Freesat and FTA boxes are beginning to hurt Sky in Ireland as more people drop Sky and go FTA instead, Sky's decision to carry BBC3 and BBC4 on the ROI EPG recently is evidence of this.

I'd imagine there will be high demand for RTE2 HD with a lot of Irish sport in HD. Remember RTE 2 is the second most watched channel on Sky.

So if they don't have HD, then Sky might start losing customers to DTT, special when people start releasing how many free channels thy can get on Freesat.

So I'm certain SKY will add RTE2 HD as soon as they can. As for bandwidth space, it shouldn't be an issue, they have plenty of space for encrypted channels. It is the unencrypted HD Freesat channels that have space limitations.

Watty, might another target users for Saorsat be people who want an easy to use (full EPG on one box) Freesat + Saorsat service?

Is it not more likely then a easy to use Freesat HD/Saorview combi box?

RTE is supposed to be running an International Service

Once upon a time there was Tara television !

• Advertisement

and 2.5m may not be enough in Southern Italy.

My brother has Freesat in his apartment in Portugal. I must ask him what size of dish he's using.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement