Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

If anybody is looking for a realistic rugby management game, then they don't get any better than http://www.blackoutrugby.com/ While it's more Champ Manager without real life teams and players, it certainly is absorbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

Phonehead wrote: »
    If anybody is looking for a realistic rugby management game, then they don't get any better than http://www.blackoutrugby.com/ While it's more Champ Manager without real life teams and players, it certainly is absorbing.

Here here! great community in the game also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Stev_o wrote: »
    10 Million for the license? Or the actual game budget?

See think it's a bit of a mess since i don't think the Unions receive any funding from the IRB (do they?) so how would they go about splitting the money to each Union? Obviously the NZRFU is worth more then Georgia's Union so how do you divide the funds between the two.

Rugby Games haven't traditionally sold that well compared to the costs to make them. As a programmer the overall complexity of making a true to life rugby game is far more complicated then making a Football (American and windy ball) or Basketball or Hockey.

We ll see how well they sell. Think Rugby Challenge will the better of the two myself.

10 mil to get to gold disc / wild figure intended to show that its a lot of money to any individual rugby union, but between them all / revenue split in some negotiated way (thats the tricky part, where the IRB come in, are they any good at keeping Union cohesive? I'd argue not, but for another thread.)

I've actually no idea (natch) how the IRB divvy out cash from the RWC ? Presumably they are supposed to have a mandate to grow the game, but then again, they never show the love to potentially massive markets in North america and japan. and If I know the japanese and north americans they love a decent sports game. (the japanese version may have to have some kind of Final Fantasy /scantily clad boss fighting element :)

In terms of complexity, I'd grant you there's a lot more "mad" stuff than can happen in ice hockey or american football (mauls, rucks) but not insurmountable. Cost wise I've read (from eurogamer / edge / neogaf over the years) its the big structural stuff costs the money (ie motion capture), not the ingenious coding out of ambiguity / letting things flow as an art.

Early pro evolutions games were made for an nth of the Fifa budget, but were far better games, until FIFA managed to squeeze a pro evo like experience out in 09. I reckon with the assets of madden etc. (think they have a special spin off licensing rag doll bodies for all kinds of games) and a small team of rugby nuts (Vancouver / Auckland based) they could bring people in from beyond the rugby world, as per ice hockey for me /mates (GO CANUCKS ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

TheJims wrote: »
    Here here! great community in the game also!

Community makes it to be fair. Well that and a rewarding match engine that gives huge scope for effective team management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

What is this blackout rugby you speak of? Tell me more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

ajeffares wrote: »
    What is this blackout rugby you speak of? Tell me more :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1220

crisco10 wrote: »

Wow, it is fantastic . . I must sign up :p (slow exaggerated tone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Rugby Challenge have released some screenshots of their stadiums and crowds. Looks amazing.

crowdarticle1.jpg

crowdarticle2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What licences does Rugby Challenge hold? They will have Super Rugby anyway going by the "Reds" flag in the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What licences does Rugby Challenge hold? They will have Super Rugby anyway going by the "Reds" flag in the picture.
    It has new Zealand, Australia, super rugby, itm cup and contains more northern hemisphere teams than southern ones. They haven't been announced yet. Although it is not yet certain if it'll be released here

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

Easy enough to make a decent render of a stadium. I need concrete gameplay footage before i conseed that it may be good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Although it is not yet certain if it'll be released here

I can play US games on my PS3 + HDTV, and I can buy stuff on line. This shouldn't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

andrewdcs wrote: »
    IRB missing a trick not trying to get an EA quality game in.

Each union is owner of their own copywritten effects thus any rights pertaining to them is entirely seperate from anything within those of IRB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

tolosenc wrote: »
    I can play US games on my PS3 + HDTV, and I can buy stuff on line. This shouldn't be an issue.

they said it should be region free anyway :)

So Sidhe has released further screenshots for Rugby Challenge and oh my god.

http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/06/first-console-action-screenshots/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

HB Studios released two screens of their game.

Looks dire in my opinion (especially in comparison to the rugby challenge screenshots) Also in the gameplay department it seems that EVERY defending player will chase after a linebreak which really annoyed me about rugby 08.

Looks like Sidhe are firmly in the driving seat for this generation of rugby games.

TRF_RWC2011_Screen1.jpg

TRF_RWC2011_Screen2.png

They'v basically updated their 08 Engine to include 3D crowds and props from what we'v seen so far. I was hoping they'd start from scratch but alas no.

rugbychallenge07.jpg

rugbychallenge02.jpg

rugbychallenge01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

:D:D:D:D:D

cannot wait for rugby challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Oh man, those HB screenshots are an embarrassment.

They'v basically updated their 08 Engine to include 3D crowds and props from what we'v seen so far. I was hoping they'd start from scratch but alas no.

Are you a Harlequins supporter...

• Advertisement

jolley123 wrote: »
    Are you a Harlequins supporter...

Nope Leicester. Why?

Nope Leicester. Why?

whoops quoted the wrong person, that question was meant for Box.

Me, no i'm a Leinster supporter, why?

B0X wrote: »
    Me, no i'm a Leinster supporter, why?

I went to the Rugby Forum to look at the HB screenshots. Some Harlequins guy basically said the same thing as you about the images so I thought that you might be a poster over there too.
    B0X wrote: »
    Also in the gameplay department it seems that EVERY defending player will chase after a linebreak which really annoyed me about rugby 08.

His Quote:That second one gives me the horrible feeling that the ai will make EVERY PLAYER chase the ball carrier after a break, which is something that really irritates me about rugby 08

Hah, that's gas, great minds think alike. I must meet this scholar! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

OK, so not getting the HB Studios one...

New Zealand Gamer got a hands on with it

http://nzgamer.com/ps3/previews/921/all-blacks-rugby-challenge-hands-on.html

And oh my god this sounds like the most polished next gen game we could ever have hoped for! August needs to hurry up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT GET MY HOPES UP

Damn I'm typing in all caps already...

Have to say rugby challenge seems to be stepping up to the mark. The HB/505 game just looks like a bad port of rugby 08 so far.

Heres hoping we get a decent game. Wonder what Irelands rating is...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

some new screenies from the Official WC HB/505 game....

243573_160640420668210_143146185750967_390566_5889751_o.jpg

257693_160640430668209_143146185750967_390567_5033511_o.jpg

258205_160640407334878_143146185750967_390565_8273793_o.jpg

I know i'll probably buy both when the time comes, but everything seems to be pointing towards Rugby Challenge as the clear winner...especially considering WETA have had some role in ABRC too.

• Advertisement

Still its all down to gameplay. Couldnt give a flying fook about graphics if the gameplay suffers.

Well just look at HB's spot and look at the two backlines. The furtherest they stretch out to is the half way line mean wtf that NEVER happens in real life it's just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

circos wrote: »
    Still its all down to gameplay. Couldnt give a flying fook about graphics if the gameplay suffers.

Exactly. Which is the exact reason why I still play Jonah Lomu rugby every week!

i still play world cup 95 on the sega haha

http://www.gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Sega_Genesis/Snap/big/Rugby_World_Cup_95_-_1994_-_Electronic_Arts.jpg

505/hb just posted this on their facebook.

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/e3-2011-coverage-rugby-world-cup-2011/

Still seems very limited with just a world cup option ala fifa world cup. Should be cheaper than full price too imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

like I said I'll get both of them, and the one that plays the best will be the one I play the most! The fact that we even have the choice between two is pretty deadly!

like I said I'll get both of them, and the one that plays the best will be the one I play the most! The fact that we even have the choice between two is pretty deadly!

Totally agree. Its been too long. Plus competiton between both can only mean better quality games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

circos wrote: »
    505/hb just posted this on their facebook.

http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/e3-2011-coverage-rugby-world-cup-2011/

Still seems very limited with just a world cup option ala fifa world cup. Should be cheaper than full price too imo...

"As a result, 505 Games have created one of the best HD, current gen rugby games around."

What an achievement. :confused:

some more rugby challenge shots up
    http://rugbychallengegame.com/2011/

same type as before.

They have 4 videos, a trailer and more shots all in the pipeline :)

Aviva premiership licences confirmed for rugby challenge, but it looks like they won't have magners

• Advertisement

Aviva premiership licences confirmed for rugby challenge, but it looks like they won't have magners

Will they have the RaboBank Pro12? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Could actually be good! Online is going to be an endless stream of NZ but sure that's always the way unless playing with friends / boards league. Pity it's only 2 player. Would have liked up to 4 player with more dynamic dummy runs / proper lines!

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Could actually be good! Online is going to be an endless stream of NZ but sure that's always the way unless playing with friends / boards league. Pity it's only 2 player. Would have liked up to 4 player with more dynamic dummy runs / proper lines!

Rugby Challenge is 4 player Online apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hopefully the HEC will be licensed. It would be a joke if one of the biggest pan European competitions in any code still isn't fully represented by a video game.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

Hopefully the HEC will be licensed. It would be a joke if one of the biggest pan European competitions in any code still isn't fully represented by a video game.

and the Aviva Premiership is in it :rolleyes:

What about the Top14? are they in it??

If they are, and the english teams are, then it would be handy to add the rest to make up the Hcup.

and shur if you have all Hcup teams, your basically 80% thru the Pro12 teams also! :D

Will they have the RaboBank Pro12? :o

Nope not yet anyway, and afaik they aren't trying to get it. But they are trying to get all HC teams, so if they succeed that will be all of the Irish teams :) From what I can see, this game is going to be very southern hemisphere based, which will be grand as long as its a good game

• Advertisement

Nope not yet anyway, and afaik they aren't trying to get it. But they are trying to get all HC teams, so if they succeed that will be all of the Irish teams :) From what I can see, this game is going to be very southern hemisphere based, which will be grand as long as its a good game

They have already confirmed that there will be more NH lisenced teams then SH ones.

They arnt trying to get any more lisences, its too late for that (rolling out in august they hope) but they just arnt yet announcing what lisences they do have. And thats a misture of marketing technique, contractual obligations and possible some discussion of complete terms to finalise the contracts.

This better be worth buying a bloody xbox for.

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    They have already confirmed that there will be more NH lisenced teams then SH ones.

They arnt trying to get any more lisences, its too late for that (rolling out in august they hope) but they just arnt yet announcing what lisences they do have. And thats a misture of marketing technique, contractual obligations and possible some discussion of complete terms to finalise the contracts.

Well obviously, thats because there are so many more teams here. They could get 60-70% of teams here and 100% of SH teams and still have far more NH teams. Of the 31 stadiums only six are NH! I know the world cup is in New Zealand but still it seems a little inbalanced. But as I said before, I don't mind this too much as long as the gameplay is good and online play is well done.

Where did you get that information from? Are you sure? I don't think that is the case tbh.

As long as you don't get a ps3 :D

Coming for the PC too!

Ill end up getting it for both systems. Looking forward to a Boards league!

• Advertisement
Advertisement