Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams to run for President ?

Options
  • 15-05-2011 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere, but despite his recent "clarifications", I can't help but see the recent Gerry Adams statement as a significant change in position for Sinn Fein. Is this just about votes, or is he positioning himself for a run at the Presidency ?

My own position is that I would regard him as a very good candidate. What do you think ?

Statement :

Ireland and Britain — Towards a new relationship
    By Gerry Adams
    THE VISIT of the Queen of England has been the subject of considerable political and media focus. However, the occasion of this visit merits a much fuller discussion about how Ireland and Britain, in the wake of the recent seismic political changes, can build a better, more beneficial relationship for the peoples of both our islands.

The clichés that this first ever visit to the state by a serving British monarch somehow indicates that Irish people “have matured” or “finally grown up” are deeply patronising and insulting. I have nothing against the Queen of England being the Queen of England. That is a matter for the people of England. But it is not the way I want Irish society to be organised.

I am a republican. I believe that the people are sovereign and not subjects. I am against monarchies.

I am also Irish. And while I am conscious of the sense of affinity which unionists have with the English monarch, I am offended at having to live in a partitioned Ireland with the Queen of England ruling over a part of us.

I believe the visit of the English queen is troubling for many Irish citizens, particularly victims of British rule and those with legacy issues in this state and in the North. I am for a new relationship between the people of the island of Ireland and between the people of Ireland and Britain based on equality and mutual respect.

I hope this visit will hasten that day but much will depend on what the British monarch says. As an Irish citizen who was detained without charge or trial a number of times on a British prison ship, in a prison camp and an H-Block, as well as a more conventional prison, at ‘Her Majesty’s Pleasure’ – I hope so.

So too will many of the families of victims in the conflict, including victims of British terrorism and collusion. This includes families of those killed in the Dublin Monaghan bombs whose anniversary takes place on the first day of the visit. British interference in Irish affairs has come at a huge cost to the Irish people. It has been marked by invasion, occupation, subjugation, famine and cycles of Irish resistance and British repression.

The impact of this, including partition and its consequences, are still being felt to this day. Irish republicans too have caused much hurt to people in Britain. I regret this.

The full normalisation of relationships between Ireland and Britain is important. This will require the ending of partition and the emergence of a New Ireland.

The Peace Process, which Sinn Féin has contributed significantly to, has transformed the political landscape in Ireland and resulted in a peaceful political dispensation based on an historic accord between Irish nationalism and unionism. The Good Friday Agreement is the foundation upon which new relationships between unionists and nationalists and between Ireland and Britain can be forged. It has fundamentally altered the political landscape, levelled the political playing field, removing the despicable Government of Ireland Act and opening up a peaceful, democratic route to a united Ireland.

And because nationalists and unionists are governing the north decisions affecting the lives of people there are being increasingly made in Ireland and not in Britain. Republicans want to continue and to accelerate this process.

The united Ireland that republicans seek to build encompasses all the people of this island, including unionists. It will be a pluralist, egalitarian society in which citizens rights are protected and in which everyone will be treated equally. Sinn Féin wants a New Republic. That of course is a matter for the people of this island to decide.

But no matter how we shape our society, the new Ireland must embrace our islands diversity in its fullest sense. This includes English and Scottish influences, the sense of Britishness felt by many unionists, as well as indigenous and traditional Irish culture and the cultures of people who have come to Ireland in recent times.

Ireland and England are not strangers to each other. We should build on what we have in common while at the same time respecting each other’s sovereignty and independence.

I want to see a real and meaningfully new and better relationship between the peoples of Ireland and Britain — one built on equality and mutual respect. Republicans have been to the forefront in working to bring this about and we will continue to do so.

The visit by the Queen of England provides a unique opportunity for the British establishment to make it clear that this is its intention also. If this is the case it will be a matter of considerable pleasure, not just for her majesty but for the rest of us as well.

BREAKING NEWS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Who would nominate him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Isn't he a baron or something across the pond? Can you be baron and president at the same time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The term timing means it'll be up for grabs again in Nov 2016 at latest, hmmmmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Teclo wrote: »
    Isn't he a baron or something across the pond? Can you be baron and president at the same time?

No he isnt, What gives you that idea ?

He would make a great president..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

He would not have a chance of being elected. He's popular amongst certain working class communites in the cities and in some small towns of the border counties but Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein in general do not have enough support in the rest of society to realistically win an election for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Gerry has ever chance at winning a presidential election. I thought his statement was very mature and profound. He may run in the future, and will have my support and the support of many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I hope he does run, and I hope people in the north gt to have a say in who is president of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

He's hardly gonna be running in the next one is he? He just left one elected position to be elected to another. Be a bit of a "f*ck you" to the people of Louth if he ran

And he wouldn't have a hope at winning it. People of certain ages who make up a large proportion of the electorate only associate him with the likes of Enniskillen and Shankill bombings.

Maybe in 7 years time and people's perceptions of him may have changed he'll have a chance - but presently he's still just the beardy guy who refuses to admit he was an IRA commander

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I hope he does run, and I hope people in the north gt to have a say in who is president of Ireland.
    Certainly, and they are more than welcome to help pay the rather eye watering salary as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

He'd get my vote but a lot of people forget the "Northern Ireland" he lived through.The Real IRA (or whatever they call themselves) twats who exist today are nothing but a bunch of imbeciles.But in Adams time back in the 70's the Nationalist community in the north were treated worse than blacks in America.People tend to have very short memories down here south of the border.....Id like to see some of these anti-Adams brigade live through what he(and thousands of Catholics) lived through up there back in the day.

• Advertisement

He's hardly gonna be running in the next one is he? He just left one elected position to be elected to another. Be a bit of a "f*ck you" to the people of Louth if he ran

Not really if he served out his term. People are given a mandate for a single term. I don't see it as doing such - Although, I think that he will probably run for a second term in Louth as TD. People seem to forget that Adams is nearly 63. He's getting on in life - if he runs in 7 years time, he will be 70. Quite old for a president don't you think?
    And he wouldn't have a hope at winning it. People of certain ages who make up a large proportion of the electorate only associate him with the likes of Enniskillen and Shankill bombings.

And certain people will also look at him as a hero, who stood up to the British establishment, and as someone who ensured that the peace process in Ireland was successful. I think he will have a very good chance. It all depends on who else stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Knight990

I'd draw the line at having a terrorist as President, to be honest. It's bad enough that he's let be in the Dáil.

Okay, let the "traitor", "west brit" and related insults begin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Knight990 wrote: »
    I'd draw the line at having a terrorist as President, to be honest. It's bad enough that he's let be in the Dáil.

Sure wasn't the State founded by 'terrorists' and cop killers, Micheal Collins, Vinny Byrne and the Squad etc Now here we go for a " use of force was legitimate 80 years or 10,000 miles away. If I had been around back then I would have blah, blah, blah......"

Sure wasn't the State founded by 'terrorists' and cop killers, Micheal Collins, Vinny Byrne and the Squad etc Now here we go for a " use of force was legitimate 80 years or 10,000 miles away. If I had been around back then I would have blah, blah, blah......"

No, actually, not really :D. My own personal opinion of the man, I wouldn't put him on the same level as Collins, etc. It'd be terribly off-topic for me to get into it.

Ah yes, the emotive 'terrorist' word. Éamon de Valera & Seán T. O'Kelly would probably both fit your description of terrorists - both presidents of this Republic.

dlofnep wrote: »
    Ah yes, the emotive 'terrorist' word. Éamon de Valera & Seán T. O'Kelly would probably both fit your description of terrorists - both presidents of this Republic.

Nah, not particularly. Great respect for both men.

Hard to understand why you would have great respect for DeValera as a President and not Gerry Adams.

Both stood by or actively killed Irishmen (allegedly in Adams' case) for the cause of Irish "freedom"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I suppose the people of Dresden would consider Churchill a terrorist, Churchill by the way was involved in the War of Independence too, And that was terrorism against the Irish population.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander..

later10 wrote: »
    Hard to understand why you would have great respect for DeValera as a President and not Gerry Adams.

Both stood by or actively killed Irishmen (allegedly in Adams' case) for the cause of Irish "freedom"

Listen, don't confuse me for a young fella reading this from a book :D I'm from a Catholic working class family in the north, I know what Adams and his band were like back then. Press-ganging impressionable young men by threat of force into their escapades, that kind of thing.

Nah, not the same. :D

Press-ganging impressionable young men by threat of force into their escapades, that kind of thing.
    Do you think it was off a stone, they licked it?

Perhaps if you had read accounts of some of the more brutal old IRA activities you would be as un-sympathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

One mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter, look at Nelson Mandella

Id have him over Ahern or an Ahern any day, I mean Gerry not Nelson

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GaryCanDance

Then your respect is emotional and based on any form of well thought out understanding of history of politics.

I respect them both. As well as Adams. But only because I've sat down and actually thought it through. I'm thoughtful like that.

You should try use your brain before you decide to share your opinions next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Listen, don't confuse me for a young fella reading this from a book :D I'm from a Catholic working class family in the north, I know what Adams and his band were like back then. Press-ganging impressionable young men by threat of force into their escapades, that kind of thing.

Nah, not the same. :D

And yet you say your a native of Dublin? How would you know that for sure? I think he'd make an excellent President but I'm not sure he'd be accepted by the people from the 'South' (by that I mean anywhere beyond Leitrim) tbh!

Some of the keyboard-warrioring is hilarious. No need for personal attacks lads, I simply put my view out. You all make very valid points for me to consider, but try to be more calm and collected ;)

Telling me to "use my brain" - absolutely mature. So, on with the topic discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

dlofnep wrote: »
    Not really if he served out his term. People are given a mandate for a single term. I don't see it as doing such - Although, I think that he will probably run for a second term in Louth as TD. People seem to forget that Adams is nearly 63. He's getting on in life - if he runs in 7 years time, he will be 70. Quite old for a president don't you think?

I just assumed you couldn't be a TD and president at the same time
    And certain people will also look at him as a hero, who stood up to the British establishment, and as someone who ensured that the peace process in Ireland was successful. I think he will have a very good chance. It all depends on who else stands.

I don't think there's enough of those people. Sinn Fein have less than 10% of the seats in the Dail. If people in the north could vote would be a different story though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I suspect he will run, eventually. Personally his overt preoccupation with one particular issue makes him less attractive as a candidate to me, and I think in general that would make him less attractive to the electorate too. Also, he's a bit more marmite than say David Norris, as in you either love him or hate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere, but despite his recent "clarifications", I can't help but see the recent Gerry Adams statement as a significant change in position for Sinn Fein. Is this just about votes, or is he positioning himself for a run at the Presidency ?

Who care's? He wouldn't stand a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

LordSutch wrote: »
    Who care's? He wouldn't stand a chance.
    and your in a position to speak for irish people...how

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Anyone else like to see a younger running field for the role? Its starting to turn back into the gold watch retirement gig again. 7 year term so we might be throwing in a free state funeral as part of the package.

Gerry Adams 62
    Michael D Higgins 70
    David Norris 66
    Pat Cox 58
    John Bruton 63
    Fergus Finlay 61
    Mairead McGuinness 51
    Sean Kelly 59
    Sean Gallagher 48
    Mary Davis 56
    Jackie Healy-Rae 80
    Mary White 66
    Mammy O'Rourke 73
    Brian Crowley 47

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Anyone else like to see a younger running field for the role? Its starting to turn back into the gold watch retirement gig again. 7 year term so we might be throwing in a free state funeral as part of the package.

Gerry Adams 62
    Michael D Higgins 70
    David Norris 66
    Pat Cox 58
    John Bruton 63
    Fergus Finlay 61
    Mairead McGuinness 51
    Sean Kelly 59
    Sean Gallagher 48
    Mary Davis 56
    Jackie Healy-Rae 80
    Mary White 66
    Mammy O'Rourke 73
    Brian Crowley 47

What a bunch of losers. I couldn't vote for any of that lot although i don't know a lot about Mary Davis to be honest.

Advertisement