Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams to run for President ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Knight990

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I hope he does run, and I hope people in the north gt to have a say in who is president of Ireland.

Why would the people of the north get a say? It's the election of the President of the Republic of Ireland, not the entire Island. Whatever you might think of it, whether you recognise the state or not, whether you think it doesnt exist or not, it is.

That is the political landscape. "Resident citizens" I think is what they call it, i.e.: people who live in the Republic.

Of course, if i'm mistaken, please point me at the legal document which says they are entitled to vote. Northern Irish people can't vote in our General Elections down in the Republic, why should the Presidential election be any different?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Teclo wrote: »
    Isn't he a baron or something across the pond? Can you be baron and president at the same time?
    charlemont wrote: »
    No he isnt, What gives you that idea ?

Yes he is.

This is what gave Telco that "idea".

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0126/breaking42.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Lord Sutch wrote: »
    Get your facts right matey before doing the auld 'eyes up' > Don't you remember the Provisional IRA? Don't you remember what they did? Dont you remember Adams refusing to condemn each and every atrocity carried out by them? Many people say that Adams himself was in the IRA, possibly even being their leader back in the 70s? either way, why would you want anybody connected to the PIRA to be your President :confused:

Why dont you get your facts right,do you think Pira just appeared from nowhere, if it wasn't for the apartheid like state that the loyalist and prosandent people governed we might not have seen the likes of Pira,
    Its gas the way a sizeable majority of you p.u.l people up there act the all so innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lapin wrote: »
    Yes he is.

This is what gave Telco that "idea".

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0126/breaking42.html
    No he isnt, he never asked for, or accepted any such office

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Whether or not he asked for it or chose not to accept it doesn't negate the simple fact that the title was bestowed upon him.

Like it or lump it - The people of Louth are represented by a Baron of the Crown.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭I would ride myself cos im a sexy man

Lapin wrote: »
    Whether or not he asked for it or chose not to accept it doesn't negate the simple fact that the title was bestowed upon him.

Like it or lump it - The people of Louth are represented by a Baron of the Crown.:D

I dont think they really care about some nickname that isnt accepted.

Fact is, some people cannot accept how popular Gerry Adams is in the border counties, the North, parts of Dublin and other working class communities.

It's a fact, and he topped the poll in Louth. Gerry Adams is a national hero.

Fact is, some people cannot accept how popular Gerry Adams is in the border counties, the North, parts of Dublin and other working class communities.

Even if we do or don't accept it, his standing in Northern Ireland is of absolutely no relevance whatsoever to an election in the Republic. All he has going for him down in the Republic are small parts of Dublin and as you say, other working class areas and parts of the border counties. I seriously doubt that will be enough to see him elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

He certainly is very popular. But so too was Ian Paisley with his people. So perhaps popularity is not the best criteria with which to judge people? :pac:

I doubt if he has enough popularity nationwide to have a serious tilt at the presidency. But I wouldn't rule it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭I would ride myself cos im a sexy man

Knight990 wrote: »
    Even if we do or don't accept it, his standing in Northern Ireland is of absolutely no relevance whatsoever to an election in the Republic. All he has going for him down in the Republic are small parts of Dublin and as you say, other working class areas and parts of the border counties. I seriously doubt that will be enough to see him elected.

I wouldnt be surprised. Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Donegal, parts of Dublin, Limerick, Sligo, Wexford, parts of Kerry and Tipperary and Laois.

He has good backing in these areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

It's a fact he topped the poll in Louth, I'm not sure how much of the rest of your post is fact though. Surely if he was a national hero and so popular he would have warrented a mention in the last poll on the presidency?

• Advertisement

I'm saying he has good backing but I would say the anti Adams brigade would probably be more successful through media propaganda and scaremongering, while picking one other candidate, and backing him to the hilt.

I wouldnt be surprised. Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Donegal, parts of Dublin, Limerick, Sligo, Wexford, parts of Kerry and Tipperary and Laois.

He has good backing in these areas.

He definitely has backing, wouldn't deny that at all. In my view, though, he could be surpassed by more populist candidates quite easily when push comes to shove, simply because he can only appeal to one section of society for definite.

It's a fact he topped the poll in Louth, I'm not sure how much of the rest of your post is fact though. Surely if he was a national hero and so popular he would have warrented a mention in the last poll on the presidency?
    ??

He wasnt in the poll. I would also doubt these polls significance but regardless, since Adams has stated himself he has no plans to run at all, I honestly dont feel this thread is worth discussing unless there is a change of mind.

We cant really gauge his support unless that happens.

He definitely has backing, wouldn't deny that at all. In my view, though, he could be surpassed by more populist candidates quite easily when push comes to shove, simply because he can only appeal to one section of society for definite.

I agree, lets be honest many people would go out and vote against Gerry Adams, so really he would be up against it.

I think he would make as good a president as Norris, Higgins etc, and certainly in my opinion an awful lot better than Bertie Ahern or Mary McAleese.

Also I dont really see why people would be worried about him being president, theres not much he can realistically do, and his opinions now are generally widely accepted and applauded.

In fairness all types of people voted for him in louth, there aren't that many republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

He wasnt in the poll.

Exactly?

Exactly?
    Because hes not running?

We cant just judge a poll like that and things like Other.

In fairness all types of people voted for him in louth, there aren't that many republicans.

Granted point. I still stand by my belief that more populist, broad-ranging candidates would pass him quite easily, but this point is still valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,524 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

end a eknny

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KeithAFC
    I live on the island and he will never be my president. I would resist that until the day i die. That is all we can do.
    surely this is the first time you have ever admitted that ireland is an island united and whole i congratulate you keith that was a big step. given time you might be able to see that gerry adams was a brave man who risked his life and is still doing so to rid this country of the inequality and corruption brought about by unionist bigots backed up by british army violence and when the time was right he encouraged the brave soliders of the ira who had fought bravely against the british army terrorists and the british and irish goverment propagada that the time was right to end the war that a united ireland could now be achieved by peaceful means. as for the british terrorists well they have moved on they are killing innocent men women and children in iraq, afghanistan and libyia

Now i get why you were so anti Garda on the other thread, you support murderers. I knew you had a reason that you would not divulge but i eventually found it. Brave soldiers me arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

end a eknny

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KeithAFC
    I live on the island and he will never be my president. I would resist that until the day i die. That is all we can do.
    surely this is the first time you have ever admitted that ireland is an island united and whole i congratulate you keith that was a big step. given time you might be able to see that gerry adams was a brave man who risked his life and is still doing so to rid this country of the inequality and corruption brought about by unionist bigots backed up by british army violence and when the time was right he encouraged the brave soliders of the ira who had fought bravely against the british army terrorists and the british and irish goverment propagada that the time was right to end the war that a united ireland could now be achieved by peaceful means. as for the british terrorists well they have moved on they are killing innocent men women and children in iraq, afghanistan and libyia

Now i get why you were so anti Garda on the other thread, you support murderers. I knew you had a reason that you would not divulge but i eventually found it. Brave soldiers me arse.

pathethic. i have stated time and again my problem with the gardai but your tiny brain cant accept that. as for brave soliders let us consider for a moment what lay in store for a young man or woman joining the ira to fight one of the biggest richest armies in the world. well for one they would be a strong possiblility that they would die at the hands of their enemy. they would almost certainly be inprisoned and while in prison be subjected to beatens e.t.c. they would be likely to be on the run and would not be able to enjoy any sort of normal family life. would the people of the free state show them respect for their courage. no unfortunately as a result of irish goverment propaganda due to their fear of the british goverment and the fact that the people of the irish free state were removed from the daily grind that nationalist endured at the hands of a unionist police force, a unionist goverment and the british army. because if they admitted what was happening they might feel compelled to do something about it and might even feel some guilt for abandoning and neglecting theese people.so they has alot to lose and nothing to gain and yet they still give their lifes up to free ireland unfortunately it will probably be another hundred years or so before they get the respect they deserve

• Advertisement

pathethic. i have stated time and again my problem with the gardai but your tiny brain cant accept that. as for brave soliders let us consider for a moment what lay in store for a young man or woman joining the ira to fight one of the biggest richest armies in the world. well for one they would be a strong possiblility that they would die at the hands of their enemy. they would almost certainly be inprisoned and while in prison be subjected to beatens e.t.c. they would be likely to be on the run and would not be able to enjoy any sort of normal family life. would the people of the free state show them respect for their courage. no unfortunately as a result of irish goverment propaganda due to their fear of the british goverment and the fact that the people of the irish free state were removed from the daily grind that nationalist endured at the hands of a unionist police force, a unionist goverment and the british army. because if they admitted what was happening they might feel compelled to do something about it and might even feel some guilt for abandoning and neglecting theese people.so they has alot to lose and nothing to gain and yet they still give their lifes up to free ireland unfortunately it will probably be another hundred years or so before they get the respect they deserve

You don't know the meaning of the word "brave" or "soldier". How these "brave" men who you call "soldiers" could leave a bomb in a busy town to kill and maim men, women and children and even the unborn makes me want to puke. If you consider these low-life scum to be heroes then i will not be replying to anymore of your posts. I found you out for what you are but what makes me angry is the fact that i was actually beginning to believe some of your anti-Garda propaganda. The Garda might be an organisation with many faults and some members who need to be turfed out but when i read what you posted above regarding your "heroes" then it put it all in perspective. You would prefer to praise those who hide behind ditches and shoot someone in the back or who would leave a bomb under some man's car and be back in the safety of the pub when it exploded. Heroes indeed. Slan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING :eek::eek::eek:
    How did Gerry Adams ever risk his life for anything? Not his style he was on the army council (alledgedly) so he sat on his ass and sent out dozens of young idealistic men & women to death and/or imprisonment for their acts of terrorism, brave man my ass!

"brave soldiers of the IRA"
    I think not
    Murdering, lying, bombing SCUMBAGS

I often wonder what the average age of the IRA sympathisers on boards is :confused:

Are they old enough to remember the fact that EVERY DAY during the 70's and 80's the RTE news had something in it about another death in the north
    Every day someone died "for the cause" be they Catholic or Protestant, members of the IRA/INLA/UVF/UDA/British Army/RUC or Gardai no one deserves to be murdered or maimed
    I am old enough to remember Leggykelly ?Sp
    And Enniskillen where Gordon Wilson lost his daughter Marie
    And that poor kid Tim Parry who was MURDERED in Warrington by the IRA I remember his picture as clear as if it was yesterday blue eyes, blond hair and school uniform :(

I remember going over the border as a kid on shopping trips to Enniskillen (my mother being from just south of the Fermanagh border) and we had to go through armed checkpoints in Belcoo and Blacklion every time

When shopping in Enniskillen someone had to stay in the car at all times because unattended cars were towed & subjected to controlled explosions
    Army barracks in Newry and Enniskillen were surrounded by 20 foot high barbed wire and bars on the windows of the RUC stations

There is nothing "romantic" about the kind of republicanism that brings entire towns and cities to their knees with bomb alerts and the daily threat of violence

There is nothing "brave" in killing innocent women & children which the IRA did with alarming regularity at the height of the troubles

Gerry Adams is and was an important figure in IRA history and he has the blood of innocents on his hands

This is not the type of person the majority of Irish people want as our president and figure head of our state abroad

angelfire9 wrote: »
    How did Gerry Adams ever risk his life for anything? Not his style he was on the army council (alledgedly) so he sat on his ass and sent out dozens of young idealistic men & women to death and/or imprisonment for their acts of terrorism, brave man my ass!

I think not

I often wonder what the average age of the IRA sympathisers on boards is :confused:

Are they old enough to remember the fact that EVERY DAY during the 70's and 80's the RTE news had something in it about another death in the north
    Every day someone died "for the cause" be they Catholic or Protestant, members of the IRA/INLA/UVF/UDA/British Army/RUC or Gardai no one deserves to be murdered or maimed
    And that poor kid Tim Parry who was MURDERED in Warrington by the IRA I remember his picture as clear as if it was yesterday blue eyes, blond hair and school uniform :(

I remember going over the border as a kid on shopping trips to Enniskillen (my mother being from just south of the Fermanagh border) and we had to go through armed checkpoints in Belcoo and Blacklion every time

When shopping in Enniskillen someone had to stay in the car at all times because unattended cars were towed & subjected to controlled explosions
    Army barracks in Newry and Enniskillen were surrounded by 20 foot high barbed wire and bars on the windows of the RUC stations

There is nothing "romantic" about the kind of republicanism that brings entire towns and cities to their knees with bomb alerts and the daily threat of violence

There is nothing "brave" in killing innocent women & children which the IRA did with alarming regularity at the height of the troubles

Gerry Adams is and was an important figure in IRA history and he has the blood of innocents on his hands

This is not the type of person the majority of Irish people want as our president and figure head of our state abroad

AT LEAST WE CAUGHT HIM OUT AND SAW WHAT HIS GAME WAS ANGEL.
    He picked some user-name though as the real Enda would not be pleased. Its a wonder he didn't use Gerry A Adams but then he wanted it to seem like he was respectable. I should have been a detective Angel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭end a eknny

I think not

for starters gerry adams has been shot twice he was interned lived on the run and even to this day his life is under threat so not quite the easy ride you seem to think. i also remember crossing the border some of the memories that particularily stand out are having the udr holding a gun to my head when i was about ten years old. seeing the british army with a group of teens probably aged about 12-15 line up against a wall iving them a beaten in broad daylight. seeing a man with his arms and legs tied together behind his back again surrounded by soliders getting a beaten. now if this is what they where doing in public one can only imaine what was going on behind closed doors. and you call the people who opposed these scum terrorists you make me want to puke

for starters gerry adams has been shot twice he was interned lived on the run and even to this day his life is under threat so not quite the easy ride you seem to think. i also remember crossing the border some of the memories that particularily stand out are having the udr holding a gun to my head when i was about ten years old. seeing the british army with a group of teens probably aged about 12-15 line up against a wall iving them a beaten in broad daylight. seeing a man with his arms and legs tied together behind his back again surrounded by soliders getting a beaten. now if this is what they where doing in public one can only imaine what was going on behind closed doors. and you call the people who opposed these scum terrorists you make me want to puke

Pray tell what on earth you were doing to have the UDR put a gun to your head?
    I funnily enough never witnessed any of the type of thing you are talking about and I spent quite alot of time in the north when I was in my teens at the height of the "troubles"

You refer to the British Army as terrorists but seem to see the IRA terrorism as heroism

Let me repeat what I have stated in my last comment as you seem to not understand my point

There is NOTHING HEROIC in the killing of innocent men, women & children by large scale bomb attacks such as those the IRA carried out in Enniskillen and Warrington (2 name just 2 locations)

I listened to a muppet from Republican Sinn Fein on Clare FM this morning who said that Ronan Kerr's murder was justified because he "worked for Crown forces" :mad:
    This type of lunatic republicanism almost ruined our country once

Gerry Adams was interred and lived on the run because he was a CRIMINAL
    and a TERRORIST and an orchestrator of violence and murder in both Northern Ireland and the UK mainland as well as in the Republic

He doesn't deny that
    Why do you? :confused:

I think not

You are right on one count, there was nothing romantic about it, however to say that IRA volunteers where not brave soldiers is wrong. Pretty well known that there was a grudging respect from the BA especially for people like Brendan Hughes and Francis Hughes.

I would also ease up on the defamatory statements RE Gerry Adams.

How can you respect someone who leaves a bomb in the middle of a busy town ?
    How can any of you respect someone who shoots someone through the living-room window ?
    How can you respect someone who plants a bomb under someone's car and runs away ?
    How can you respect someone who carries out a knee-capping on a young thug while their own young thug escapes the same treatment ?

You people just baffle me and this will be my last post on the subject but i would love to hear your answers Wolfe Tone. How people can justify one bad act by committing a worse one just reminds me of the Israeli/Palestine situation.

You are right on one count, there was nothing romantic about it, however to say that IRA volunteers where not brave soldiers is wrong. Pretty well known that there was a grudging respect from the BA especially for people like Brendan Hughes and Francis Hughes.

I would also ease up on the defamatory statements RE Gerry Adams.

It isn't defamatory if it is stated with honest belief
    Besides which I said it to his face at a SF ogra meeting in UCG many moons ago and never got sued :rolleyes:

I don't agree with your assessment of the IRA as brave soldiers but unlike end a eknny I generally do agree to disagree with you Wolfe Tone as most of your comments are not designed to incite hatred & vitriol

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Folks, if you don't calm down you'll be looking at this thread from outside the forum. Knock off the insults aimed at your fellow forum members and the personalisation of the discussion or you'll be getting an enforced holiday from the forum. Your call.

• Advertisement

How can you respect someone who leaves a bomb in the middle of a busy town ?
    How can any of you respect someone who shoots someone through the living-room window ?
    How can you respect someone who plants a bomb under someone's car and runs away ?
    How can you respect someone who carries out a knee-capping on a young thug while their own young thug escapes the same treatment ?

You people just baffle me and this will be my last post on the subject but i would love to hear your answers Wolfe Tone. How people can justify one bad act by committing a worse one just reminds me of the Israeli/Palestine situation.
    While I would like to debate the justifications of armed campaign, unfortunatly its not entirely clear whether or not that is permitted in this forum (inevitably you would ask about individual incidents) and seen as I was banned a while back for comments arguing justification, I imagine I am on thin ice... Don't want to be banned again.

Sceptre seen as you are here, whats the deal with the proposed NI forum? That going ahead?

Advertisement