Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

It just dawned on me that this feels exactly like Die Hard 4. Especially with the wonky traffic lights outside my house. Quick, someone call Bruce Willis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

and if you're a PS3 owner you get your choice of 3 games from 5 (undisclosed currently) to download once you're back online
    2 from 5, not 3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

2 from 5 yea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

No

Fair enough, did you jump ship when it happened or are you just a Microsoft man from day one?

Playstation Plus for a month, a year's free personal protection security software, an update, an apology email/statement and if you're a PS3 owner you get your choice of 3 games from 5 (undisclosed currently) to download once you're back online. PSP is the same, expect it's 2 games from 4 (again nothing about the title selection yet)

Soon is not the word.

Feels like waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released:D

No i have been with Xbox from day one, but jeez its nearly worth not playing COD for a couple of months to get all that free stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Azure_sky wrote: »
    I appreciate that it takes time to do it right but it is really annoying when they give out these deadlines and keep on missing them. I just want log into PSN so I can activate my other account.

Giving accurate deadlines for when a new system is ready is very difficult to do, if not impossible (in my experience anyway). Even more so in this case. Sony are no doubt running lots and lots of tests on their new software (if that is even finished yet). If one of those tests fails, they have to fix the problem and do all the tests again (tests can take an age, days in some cases).

So it really is difficult for them to give us an exact date. I feel sorry for the guys working on this :( I hope they are getting good overtime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Benzino wrote: »
    Giving accurate deadlines for when a new system is ready is very difficult to do, if not impossible (in my experience anyway). Even more so in this case. Sony are no doubt running lots and lots of tests on their new software (if that it even finished yet). If one of those tests fails, they are to fix the problem and do all the tests again (tests can take an age, days in some cases).

So it really is difficult for them to give us an exact date. I feel sorry for the guys working on this :( I hope they are getting good overtime!

Then don't give deadlines! Simple as. Sony should stop giving their customers the run around, like they have from the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Then don't give deadlines! Simple as. Sony should stop giving their customers the run around, like they have from the outset.

But then people will be complaining about not giving any indication as to when the system will be live.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Varik wrote: »
    PCI is industry self-regulation.

You only need to be PCI compliant if you want to do business with these card companies, but large companies who would be doing large amounts of business can ignore it as the banks would loose out if they weren't able to sell stuff.

It's industry self-regulation but on the part of the card schemes themselves rather than the individual banks. It's also industry regulation backed up by the potential for substantial fines. All of the card schemes are members of the PCI Council meaning that the power is in their court as opposed to a big company being above the industry self regulation. A huge company can threaten to move banks but they need to be able to take one card type or other.

From the information I've had, Sony were (to their understanding) fully PCI Compliant and had had their independent QSA had signed off on their most recent review.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Still no services back yet? This is turning into a total farce. Bill Gates and Shigeru Miyamoto must be having multiple orgasms by now.

Turning?! It "turned into" weeks ago. Now it's just laughable.

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    They're are some advantages to having your email freely available... I'm getting all these great business propositions from African business men..

Reminds me of an old but great story. It is not a short story so only bother if you are bored and have nothing else to do. You know, like a global meltdown of all multiplayer on one system for a prolonged period of time.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

donalg1 wrote: »
    No i have been with Xbox from day one

i love when people say things like this or 'im moving to xbox'. stop thinking your employed by microsoft some how, you haven't 'been' anywhere or 'moved' anywhere. you bought a console and your playing it.

donalg1 wrote: »
    No i have been with Xbox from day one, but jeez its nearly worth not playing COD for a couple of months to get all that free stuff

No. it's not.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd be wary of entertaining donalg1's questions after his troll attack a few days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Reminds me of an old but great story. It is not a short story so only bother if you are bored and have nothing else to do. You know, like a global meltdown of all multiplayer on one system for a prolonged period of time.

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

I was bored and it was a great story. Gonna tell my mate about it tonight while we play Battlefi.......................oh bugger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

MarkY91 wrote: »
    you do know you can play it offline im sure

Yea but whats the point its crap if ur not online...unless your a ten year old

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

Benzino wrote: »
    But then people will be complaining about not giving any indication as to when the system will be live.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't to be honest.

I don't think most people would complain if from the outset they told us what had happened and what they were doing. Its obvious now that they are rebuilding the network which is why its taking so long. And anyone in the know would realise how long doing something like that takes with building, testing, etc.

For me as long as its working when it comes back i don't mind when that is. Its the shabby way Sony treated its customers at the start with the false information being given out and unattainable deadlines. If they didn't know what was wrong why lead us all on?
    Honesty goes a long way.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd be wary of entertaining donalg1's questions after his troll attack a few days ago.

excuse my noobness but what is a troll attack?:confused:

hehehe, noobness:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just wondering, When was the last statement Sony gave?

Not the worst time to be doing exams! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭Varik

keithc83 wrote: »
    false information being given out and unattainable deadlines. If they didn't know what was wrong why lead us all on?
    Honesty goes a long way.

Was there more than the deadlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

tok9 wrote: »
    Just wondering, When was the last statement Sony gave?

Not the worst time to be doing exams! :)

Tuesday. They just said they were sorry and they are working hard on fixing the PSN and they don't know when it will be back.

I agree... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

Varik wrote: »
    Was there more than the deadlines.

Lack of information being given at the start and the deadlines i think were the issue. I know they are trying to do all they can now to fix their issues but i can understand why people got so angry with them. All they needed to do was tell people what had happened, what they were going to do about it and that they did not know how long it was going to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Reports of alot of internal testing going on.

Someone played Killzone3 this morning:

http://www.killzone.com/kz/mykillzone.psml?kz_user_id=walmart45#recentmatches

Soccom 4 servers were updates yesterday:

http://www.examiner.com/ps3-in-chicago/socom-4-stats-updated-internal-psn-testing-going-on

Someone also played LBP2:

fSjSD.jpg

Gentlemen! Prepare your bodies....

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's close, I can smell it.

Oh hang, thats my dinner burning, crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It's close, I can smell it.

Oh hang, thats my dinner burning, crap.
    Thats the RROD's you can smell :pac:

Tallon wrote: »
    Thats the RROD's you can smell :pac:

Don't even joke about that. My internet went down for 2 weeks about a month before this outage and I am already on my second PS3. I'm close to breaking point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

So its official yes? Its back Tomorrow :D:D

I bleedin wish :pac:

As long as the tests go fine, and no as*hole hacker comes along, lets hope we are close!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

in all honesty sony can do all the internal checking they want, they can double check triple check everything but until there new security measures are tested in a live enviroment where it will be tested in full by foul means or fair then unfortunately it means nothing

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

shinzon wrote: »
    in all honesty sony can do all the internal checking they want, they can double check triple check everything but until there new security measures are tested in a live enviroment where it will be tested in full by foul means or fair then unfortunately it means nothing

Shin

I'd say this is less security and more making sure that all the games work with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Either way, it's a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭jimbob86

Rite den if its not back on 2moro im gona kick the fcuk outa my ps

Advertisement