Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

PSN Restoration Timeline Update
    Posted: 10 May 2011 09:59 AM PDT
    I know you all want to know exactly when the services will be restored. At this time, I can’t give you an exact date, as it will likely be at least a few more days. We’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work through this process.

Another useless update

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Achilles wrote: »

It's already been proven that the security and Apache web-server software was up-to-date.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

Almost sounds like those earlier reports of AIB calling customers could be phishing scams... :eek:

could well be! who knows.

all i know is that when sony announced the possibility of CC details being compromised, i called AIB credit card centre to request a different numbered card. They told me that if i wanted a new number on a card i would need a new pin, but if i wanted a new card issued with the old number i didnt need to change my pin. at that stage (in fairness very early on in the saga) they appeared to be quite oblivious to this data breach and potential implications.

My experience with cold calls such as this are to ask where the caller is calling from and their name. then go ring directory enquiries, ask them to put you through to said company and request to speak to the person. If the caller was indeed from a bank they would have no issue with this as i believe its quite common practice as a method of verifying who you are speaking with!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

gstar wrote: »
    could well be! who knows.

all i know is that when sony announced the possibility of CC details being compromised, i called AIB credit card centre to request a different numbered card. They told me that if i wanted a new number on a card i would need a new pin, but if i wanted a new card issued with the old number i didnt need to change my pin. at that stage (in fairness very early on in the saga) they appeared to be quite oblivious to this data breach and potential implications.

My experience with cold calls such as this are to ask where the caller is calling from and their name. then go ring directory enquiries, ask them to put you through to said company and request to speak to the person. If the caller was indeed from a bank they would have no issue with this as i believe its quite common practice as a method of verifying who you are speaking with!

When I found out I rang AIB and asked to cancel my card. They said that was fine and that I would get a new CC but keep my PIN as that hasn't been compromised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭HeisenbergBB

Anyone else suffering from withdrawls?? Playing COD split screen with my rubbish housemate just isnt the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Anyone else suffering from withdrawls?? Playing COD split screen with my rubbish housemate just isnt the same thing!

No... I have an Xbox 360 too :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Ban this spoilt brat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

gtfo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

This is a fcuking joke at this stage, too fooking long this has been, I want to play fifa online ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    This is a fcuking joke at this stage, too fooking long this has been, I want to play fifa online ffs

You should email Sony. Maybe they'll start working on it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Beefy78 wrote: »
    You should email Sony. Maybe they'll start working on it then.
    I had to play REAL soccer, with a ball!

Look what they have done!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Sure our Boards League in FIFA got it's first week of fixtures done and then this happened, was so looking forward to my struggle to get back into the Premier Division.:mad: With my college exams starting on Saturday though, it's kinda helped though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Did you read the bottom of your own link?
    One member of the Beyond3D forum, deathindustrial, was curious about the outdated server software claim and did a very brief amount of very interesting research into the issue....

(Beyond3D's community has a unique combination of technically knowledgeable users with a low rate of console fanboyism, allowing for an honest discussion of things like the PSN data breach without the conversation devolving into another proxy battle in the great fanboy wars.)

As it turns out, it is fairly simple to use Google's webcache to show what version of Apache the PSN servers were using back in March. According to a page request archived by Google on March 23, 2011, at that time Sony was running version 2.2.17 of the software. You can see from Apache's website that 2.2.17 is the latest stable version of the webserver available even today. This is a direct repudiation of the claims being made that Sony's webservers were out of date by as much as five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

its still not online? wow what a joke of a console :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Trevor451 wrote: »
    its still not online? wow what a joke of a console :rolleyes:

Not the console fault , its the people that are behind the console that are to blame ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Not the console fault , its the people that are behind the console that are to blame ;)

eh and that basicly is the console :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

MarkY91 wrote: »
    eh and that basicly is the console :L

Oh the irony:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Just ordered Tony Hawk Shred and board for 20 quid on game.co.uk so when that comes should keep me entertained till everything is back up and running :D Then I get the 5 free games ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Or maybe the hackers are to blame....:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Oh the irony:pac:

elaborate..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Right, looking like Steam Portal 2 it is. I waited Sony, I even welcomed the chance to save some Portal for later, but I'm sorry.

*plugs in mouse*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

i5zrjp.png

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.....

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.....

I'm sorry but I pissed myself laughing :L

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

Ha ha I lol'd at people asking me to provide proof of my private banking affairs ha ha.

All I said is that I was rang by AIB they cancelled my credit card over it being used on PSN, it hadnt been used inappropriately or anything like that as I keep a close eye on my accounts anyway (sue me, im a Quantity Surveyor, I watch other peoples money for a living, I also take care of my own). If you dont want to believe it then quite frankly I dont care. If you really wish Ill scan in my old which is still in date and Ill then scan in my new card with blocked out numbers when i recieve it Friday.

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

cronin_j wrote: »
    Ha ha I lol'd at people asking me to provide proof of my private banking affairs ha ha.

All I said is that I was rang by AIB they cancelled my credit card over it being used on PSN, it hadnt been used inappropriately or anything like that as I keep a close eye on my accounts anyway (sue me, im a Quantity Surveyor, I watch other peoples money for a living, I also take care of my own). If you dont want to believe it then quite frankly I dont care. If you really wish Ill scan in my old which is still in date and Ill then scan in my new card with blocked out numbers when i recieve it Friday.

Jesus.

Not good enough. I won't trust you until you give me valid codes, security key and mothers maiden name.:pac:

It get's awful tetchy in here around what was traditionaly PSN time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Tefral

Not good enough. I won't trust you until you give me valid codes, security key and mothers maiden name.:pac:

It get's awful tetchy in here around what was traditionaly PSN time.

Ha ha sure ill give ya a scan of my drivers licence while im at it ha ha

Point taken.!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Just picked up Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 for 10 bucks in CEX! Great so far!

What single player games are you guy's playing during the outage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I might finish Vanquish tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

weiland79 wrote: »
    Just picked up Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 for 10 bucks in CEX! Great so far!

What single player games are you guy's playing during the outage?
    Finished Vanquish and just started playing through God of War 3 today. I plaed about an hour and a half over a year ago and never went back to it. I think I was just worn out with GoW games as I went through the first two games right before I picked GoW3 up. The upside to all this is that I'm pretty much forcing myself to go back to all the games I started, never finshed and ignored after I bought them. It's about time too. Pffft! Who need online when you have about 10 games left to finish. I tend to do this alot with games. Start them, love them and then drop them like a hot snot for something new before I finish them. Must finish KZ3 while I'm at all this stuff. Oh and Darksiders, among others

Advertisement