Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Colourful Characters of Waterford

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Does the old brown and white dog that chases his tennis ball around red square count as a colourful character?

I was literally coming in to this thread to post about that dog. I seem to remember him for ever. As much a character as anyone else in town IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

ziedth wrote: »
    I was literally coming in to this thread to post about that dog. I seem to remember him for ever. As much a character as anyone else in town IMO.

Yeah he seems to have been there forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Is dog-dirt Dan still knockin around?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Theres a fine line between harmless, playful banter and full blown racist hate filled bile spew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

gscully wrote: »
    The guy with the long scraggy grey hair that walks around town, hands behind his back. Usually wears a beige trenchcoat. I've heard he's called 'Sausages' as he'll chase you if you shout that at him. Anyone know if that's true?

He has locks almost down to his chin? Who is this guy, I remember him painting Stephens Street school back in the 80s, he looked 50 back then and he hasn't aged a day since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the legendary and ferocious Stab The Rasher from the '70s

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Anyone remember the two lads that wandered around the town sharpening knives - Father and Son I think they were known as. I'm going back about 40years ago. They both wore long brown coats tied with a rope. One wore a beret as far as I remember. They always carried their belongings with them. They were from Portlaoise or somewhere up around that way I think. I was very young at the time but I remember them well.

They were two right characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

old gregg wrote: »
    He's fairly sound. Was talking to him up in the ronemore for ages one night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brad000143

Yes, you are right dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno if this counts are a character but some fella in a pale (linen?) suit decided to cross lower Ballytruckle Road just by College Green on in front of me without looking come to a stop in the middle of the road and then yell something at me arms outstretched before he moved across. In his 30s I guess with dark hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

Do any of ye remember the Pigeon Man? He'd be on the Quays or up around Barronstrand Street or Broad Street in the 1970s, feeding the birds. A roundy oul lad, always wore a heavy overcoat tied with a rope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

mike65 wrote: »
    I dunno if this counts are a character but some fella in a pale (linen?) suit decided to cross lower Ballytruckle Road just by College Green on in front of me without looking come to a stop in the middle of the road and then yell something at me arms outstretched before he moved across. In his 30s I guess with dark hair.

Was it last Sunday? About 33, longish hair, tanned skin,

seemed to have blood dripping from his palms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah no it was this morning and he was perfectly healthy (in body if not in mind)

mike65 wrote: »

Ah, he was only doing the Broony

http://videocelts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/brown-scores-rangers1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

old gregg wrote: »
    seanybiker wrote: »

I can tell you as someone who knows him pretty well he is not fairly sound, he is a disgrace of a human being, I wont go into the reasoning on this thread, but that man is scum not a very nice guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Guramoogah wrote: »
    Do any of ye remember the Pigeon Man? He'd be on the Quays or up around Barronstrand Street or Broad Street in the 1970s, feeding the birds. A roundy oul lad, always wore a heavy overcoat tied with a rope.

Paddy Forty Coats was his name. Jaysus, that brings me right back.

Here's a list of a few characters I remember
    • Joey Le Blanc
    • Jimmy De La Salle
    • Martin Hunt/Hurley
    • Wolfie
    • Miller and Cashin
    • Eddie the Bat
    • Tawdy
    • Alice from Siopa na Pairce
    • Mary 7up

There's a shed load more but I've forgotten their names.

Winnie the glue. Completely forgot about her. Dirty head on her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

dayshah wrote: »
    Was it last Sunday? About 33, longish hair, tanned skin,

seemed to have blood dripping from his palms.

:D:D

Anyone remember the old man that used to sell children's toys (mainly those little round things on a stick where you blow them and they twirl round and round, with lots of different colours) outside the old Darrer's and where Dunnes is now outside City Square? Probably early 90's.

Ah yeah little small tubby chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Tags

Dan133269 wrote: »

Anyone remember the old man that used to sell children's toys (mainly those little round things on a stick where you blow them and they twirl round and round, with lots of different colours) outside the old Darrer's and where Dunnes is now outside City Square? Probably early 90's.

Little windmill things yeah? I used to be mad about them as a tot. I think his name was Johnny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Dan133269 wrote: »

My mammy never got me one. I vowed that when I was older and earning money I'd buy one.

But now they are gone.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

Winnie the glue. Completely forgot about her. Dirty head on her

Was that yer one living out the old Kilmeaden Road? Used to scare me sh*tless.

Was that yer one living out the old Kilmeaden Road? Used to scare me sh*tless.

Yeah that's her. Used to freak me out to haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You won't be talking to him up there anymore Seany.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

is denny the pig rider still around aka the bar of soap as he was a goal keeper in the pubs leauge in his time aswell,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Roen wrote: »
    [*]Miller and Cashin
    Harry Miller the docker?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

michael-really well spoken guy-fell in with the winos a cupla years ago-think he's dead around 5 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

what about that old guy,dressed in the clown suit.who used to have the puppets on a string-whats the story with him-i'd say he was around the town about 7/8 years ago

Anyone remember the oul lad that used sing outside Darrers years ago......small, blue mac, peaked cap. He looked a bit like Norman Wisdom. Hadn't a note in his head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yep, he used to 'kick' people out of his spot e.g. charity collectors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement