Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

The Colourful Characters of Waterford

135678

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭ LuckyFinigan


    Think most of the usual ones have been mentioned. A few others would be,

    The minister,

    Skin aka (my town),

    That lad that used to always walk around wearing suit and would always say hello when you walked passed him, dont know if he's still around anymore.

    There was this guy that used to dress up as batman I saw every now and then, remember seeing him at spraoi and just walking around town a few times. Came up to my friend one day and asked him did he want to be his robin. Very strange fella.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭ dayshah


    There was this guy that used to dress up as batman I saw every now and then, remember seeing him at spraoi and just walking around town a few times.

    Actually I know who you are talking about. He is actually a millionaire (maybe from construction or something) but lost the plot a bit after he saw a murder. He was never the same since.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭ Tragamin2k2


    if its the fella im thinkin of his name is dave something? wrote comic books aswell i think


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭ Roen


    Nolanger wrote: »
    Harry Miller the docker?

    I'm not sure, the two of them used to be out drinking on the streets all the time back in the 80's if that narrows it down.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭ seanybiker


    Roen wrote: »
    I'm not sure, the two of them used to be out drinking on the streets all the time back in the 80's if that narrows it down.

    Twas Harry Miller


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ chelloveks


    The Old Lady with the Shaggy Dog in Ballybricken. She had some kind of shop with the most run down unfinished door I ever saw and my cousins said she sold sour milk. As a kid in the 60's she absolutely freaked me out when I saw her. She used to walk with this old sheepdog that hadn't seen a comb in its entire life and had better dreads than any Rasta I've ever seen!


  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ Swissarmyknife


    Hi,Great thread.and some great Characters mentioned.
    One that sticks in my mind was "Skinny Fanning" Skinny used to sell fish in the town,he was small but you would hear his booming voice streets away from where you stood. His cry of "Fresh Mackerel" was legendary,and also his trademark "on the ball,on the ball" was even more so.
    And he always had a kind word for us kids on our way home from school.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭ Rubberlegs


    Yeah, great thread:D. I remember Michael, the very well spoken man with the beret, he sometimes used to wear a brown curly wig:). Jesus I'd forgotten about Monica, she'd some pair of legs, haha! I remember the little roundy man who used to sell the windmills outside Dunne's on the corner, but thought his name was Charlie. Shammy, I remember well. In the early 90s I remember a woman I knew as Mary, she was a wino, heavily pregnant. She used to sit on the benches in Red Square, with a man with straggly black hair. I used to chat to her a lot, as she came into the shop I worked in. Heard after she had the child in the grounds of a convent and it was taken off her, whether that was true or not. Also this guy Davy(?), kinda foreign looking, walked around with his hands on his head talking to himself.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ calvin_zola


    73Cat wrote: »
    Also this guy Davy(?), kinda foreign looking, walked around with his hands on his head talking to himself.

    greek guy, be in the bookies?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭ Rubberlegs


    greek guy, be in the bookies?

    Hmmm, don't think he's greek, think he's Irish, but definitely looks foreign. Though I could have that wrong. Haven't seen him in years, last I saw him up on Mayors Walk. Something makes me think his name is Davy Penkert, or similar. Used to be terrified when saw him coming, as heard he carried a knife, though that could have been BS...


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭ Nolanger


    73Cat wrote: »
    Something makes me think his name is Davy Penkert, or similar.
    Davy Singh?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭ seanybiker


    Just seen on one of the lads Facebook pages that Johnny tierney died :( poor fella


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭ abouttobebanned


    Nolanger wrote: »
    Davy Singh?

    Father of another luntic.

    An Indian man and the grumpiest mother ****kka on the planet.


  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭ jayboi


    i know hes not a real person and probably not colourful but what about the lad that keeps knocking on the window in fieldmaster hes been at that a good while now.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭ seanybiker


    jayboi wrote: »
    i know hes not a real person and probably not colourful but what about the lad that keeps knocking on the window in fieldmaster hes been at that a good while now.
    haha I used to love that fella. Always hoped he would bust the window. If they only moved him back an inch he be flying


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭ Nolanger


    seanybiker wrote: »
    Twas Harry Miller
    Victim of the Waterford dockers' strike in the '80s that lasted the full decade. Sad to see people lose good jobs and go downhill so publicly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭ Luckycharms_74


    73Cat wrote: »
    I remember the little roundy man who used to sell the windmills outside Dunne's on the corner, but thought his name was Charlie. Shammy, .

    His name was Johnny Lyons AFAIK :). He had the windmills on the cardboard box. I always wondered if he ever sold any cause every day he had the same few on that box :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭ marlin vs


    His name was Johnny Lyons AFAIK :). He had the windmills on the cardboard box. I always wondered if he ever sold any cause every day he had the same few on that box :D
    We used to call him Johnny Loin bones.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭ Rubberlegs


    Nolanger wrote: »
    Davy Singh?

    Really not sure of the surname, but could well be considering he looked foreign. Dark wavy hair, and sallow skin...


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭ marlin vs


    Johnny Tierney? also I thought mocky was a scare tactic meself :P
    R.I.P.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ calvin_zola


    seanybiker wrote: »
    Just seen on one of the lads Facebook pages that Johnny tierney died :( poor fella

    ah no, nice man, bed of heaven


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 thewhale


    Great to hear all about the different characters from this thread, i'll throw in my own one, does anyone remember the lady that used to sit on the side of the road up from Corbally church, out by the saleens, she used to try stop all the passing cars with her stick and try on tell them her life story, to us she was known as Lily Shing Shang.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ Finnbar01


    Seanybiker, anyone remember him? I think he was from Hillyview and he was mad into blaas and motorbikes.

    :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭ seanybiker


    Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Seanybiker, anyone remember him? I think he was from Hillyview and he was mad into blaas and motorbikes.

    :D
    He's an awful eegit that fella


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭ seanybiker


    Nolanger wrote: »
    Victim of the Waterford dockers' strike in the '80s that lasted the full decade. Sad to see people lose good jobs and go downhill so publicly.

    Never knew that. Poor fella. He seemed like a sound ould chap


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭ marlin vs


    seanybiker wrote: »
    He's an awful eegit that fella
    Ahh he's not too bad when ya know him,he's not the worst.:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Soswozere


    thewhale wrote: »
    Great to hear all about the different characters from this thread, i'll throw in my own one, does anyone remember the lady that used to sit on the side of the road up from Corbally church, out by the saleens, she used to try stop all the passing cars with her stick and try on tell them her life story, to us she was known as Lily Shing Shang.
    Yep. She was a Dame. She would bang on the car asking the time. When she died, her dogs stayed by her side, one had died of hunger and the others were starving, yet the door was open.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Fighters Planet


    Cant believe ye didnt mention:

    Mr.Griffen, whose butchers sells no meat


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭ Platinum2010


    Anyone know the mad wan who spits on cars?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭ Tragamin2k2


    mary 7up?


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement