Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great 2011 PSN Outage Megathread *Post 1 updated*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

With PSN down is there anyway of checking what your password is? Changed all my passwords on facebook , you tube etc recently but not sure if i changed my psn. I want to find out if i did or not to save me having to change all the others. Any way of doing this?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Disgraceful whats being going on the last week, sony should of had stronger security and i wish hackers would go back in a hole they came from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    With PSN down is there anyway of checking what your password is? Changed all my passwords on facebook , you tube etc recently but not sure if i changed my psn. I want to find out if i did or not to save me having to change all the others. Any way of doing this?

Thanks

Nope, coz you cant even log into your account on the PSN website.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

RangeR wrote: »
    I so will not.

I've put a hold on my CC too, which means nobody, including me, can make payments on my card. I've not gone full out cancel just yet.

Would it not be just as easy to to cancel it? you are going to be without it for a while anyway, and this way you know that if someone has your details but didn't get to them in a few weeks/months, whatever you are still clean. Just cancel, new card no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Surely most people would have taken out card protection on their Credit cards?
    I have it on mine and it prevents anyone using it but me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭smokingman

A guy in work here got his Gmail hacked (same password on PSN as his Gmail) and loads of spam was sent from his account this morning - it was accessed from South Africa. If anyone's in the same boat with the passwords, check your gmail activity straight away - its that "Last account activity: x hours ago on this computer. Details" link at the bottom of the page of your inbox.

I may be a Nintendo fanboy but this sort of thing annoys me no matter what system is involved. Best of luck guys and here's hoping none of you are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SeanQCitizen

How does Amazon know it's you? How does ebay know its you? How does the person in a shop whos never met you before know its you? The fact is that with alot of the details that could have been leaked here, you could potentially have a situation that you have strangely become the owner of 12,000 euro worth of farm machinery in Spain (something that happened to a friend in an unrelated cc snafu).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Just to remind people, this is another great reason why you should set up 2-step verification if you have a gmail account and an android/iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

There is no such thing. Trust me.

A few issuers were flogging identity protection cover for cards a year or so back but it's a bit of a scam really. If there's fraud on your card and you report it as soon as you spot it then you won't be liable for it.

If there was some magic protection that stopped anyone from using your card other than you then everyone would be forced to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Just to remind people, this is another great reason why you should set up 2-step verification if you have a gmail account and an android/iphone.

I was speaking to a friend who moved to France recently and she said that this sort of thing is compulsory over there. You can't use your card online before you've given a mobile number to your bank for them to contact whenever the card is used online. It'll likely follow to the UK soon and then over here some time down the line.

• Advertisement

This may already have been seen but thought it was a good article on the PSN issue:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-psn-security-scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

smokingman wrote: »
    A guy in work here got his Gmail hacked (same password on PSN as his Gmail) and loads of spam was sent from his account this morning - it was accessed from South Africa. If anyone's in the same boat with the passwords, check your gmail activity straight away - its that "Last account activity: x hours ago on this computer. Details" link at the bottom of the page of your inbox.

Similar thing happened to me. Some fella hacked into my facebook account with the same password and start creeping on all the girls on my friend's list.

It wasn't me. Swear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Sony are a PCI level 1 company. As well as meaning that their network is subject to a quarterly scan to ensure that it is secure, that means that their systems and data protection procedures are independently audited by a Qualified Security Assessor. The QSA wouldn't sign off on their audit if Sony were just storing card details in an unecrypted Word document like has been suggested. The idea is laughable.
    And banks with AAA ratings when bust. With all that's known about Sony's track record when it comes to security nothing would surprise me.
    Please don't be so condescending.
    I not to be, but there's a difference between reams of data in one place and having to track loads of people individually.
    Liamario wrote: »
    I was more referring to people who have been saying (not necessarily on boards) that they are going to sell their consoles or are now boycotting all Sony products.
    I'll not be boycotting Sony, I'm just not using any of their products online. Have a search around for their track reocord in security, it's not fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jarrath

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Rape is now considered a legal high.

You wouldn't happen to be a guard in the Mayo area by any chance?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Would it not be just as easy to to cancel it? you are going to be without it for a while anyway, and this way you know that if someone has your details but didn't get to them in a few weeks/months, whatever you are still clean. Just cancel, new card no worries

Bit OT but if I cancel now, I will have to change my CC number / details on the 10 or 20 sites that I have it registered to. I see no reason to do that at this stage. Plus, isn't there a charge to get a new card? If so and I have to get one, I will be charging Sony as it is directly their fault. To preempt argument, as it's OT, that's what the SCC is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Sony deserve it IMO. Serves them right for suing pepole who mod their own consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Sony deserve it IMO. Serves them right for suing pepole who mod their own consoles.

But the millions of PS3 users who thought their details would be safe with one of worlds most reputable companies dont deserve any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

But Trevor didn't say the users deserved it. He said Sony did.

Renn wrote: »
    But Trevor didn't say the users deserved it. He said Sony did.

And I said the users dont deserve it; which they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

As far as I'm concerned, this lands squarely at Sony's door. Company's, Networks, internet servers will ALWAYS be hacked. This is Sony's fault for not securing their customers information. There is NOTHING they can say to make right what happened. Credit Card details, en masse, should NOT be accessible from ANY web server. They should be at least once removed and only accessible via web service that will return one and only one credit card number based on valid challenge response.

If it was done this way, at the VERY most, the hacker would have had to access the web service once for each credit card number obtained.

Sloppy work on Sony's part. While I'm at it, VERY sloppy security subsystem on the PS3 and PSP. Very sloppy security all round.

Sony... For shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

How did my little thread turn into this, I only posted on a random night when the PSN was out!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

40102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I set up my PSN account with an email I just created for that. How long do hotmail accounts stay active for? when I tried to log into it it said i had the wrong address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have an account on the PlayStation network however I don't think I've ever used my credit card details with it. As far as I can remember I've never bought any downloads on it. However I know my previous credit card expired last year and I definitely haven't used the new one on it. Also the email address I used to sign up to the PlayStation network no longer exists. Funnily enough I was actually trying to change it a while back but never did.

Anyone here got an email from Sony about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Nope, no email. Which is the thing that's bugging me the most at the moment. I've talked to a good few people in the last day and they were only made aware of the situation because of me mentioning it - which is ****ing ridiculous.

Pretty pissed about the whole thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

NUTZZ wrote: »
    How did my little thread turn into this, I only posted on a random night when the PSN was out!:eek:

You broke Psn!

I hope you're happy with yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

Will this give sony an excuse to make ps3 users pay for online? to make up on their loss they could say it would be safer if we pay for it? just a thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Will this give sony an excuse to make ps3 users pay for online? to make up on their loss they could say it would be safer if we pay for it? just a thought...

yeah, thatll work

"hey guys, we know we lost about 20 million credit card numbers but we want you to give us your credit card number so we can charge you money for using the thing that used to be free"

I hope to god that rumour about them bringing party chat is true.If it was it would make up for their little mishap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

G-Money wrote: »
    Anyone here got an email from Sony about it?

So far....nothing. no contact for my EU account e-mail and just checked my USA one (for the first time in 9 months by the looks of it) and only Sony one is for the "new Terms and Conditions" after each major update.

So either the hackers didnt get everyones details (and so Sont just sending warnings to those e-mails) or Sony isnt bothering yet and deciding the blog updates are fine for now(since everyone with a PSN account checks the blogs :rolleyes: ).

Advertisement