Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

laugh wrote: »
    So what's the end game for someone like him? You would only be happy if his wife divorced him and his entire family disowned him? He should be completely ostracised from society? Would it not be better if he got some form of treatment with the support of his family, if he had nothing left to live for he might be more likely to act on his deviant desires?

Maybe he should just kill himself?

i simply dont want to support him, which i would be doing by buying ballymaloe products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I avoid all "Fairtrade" brands.

Why's that? I'd understand if you didn't look for Fairtrade stuff - I don't - but is there some reason to avoid them on principle?
    Yahew wrote: »
    I do have to laugh at the kind of muppets who hate Apple's "closed" system and have an xBox or Wp7, or love Google's "open source" but use MS not Linux, or think Apple users are sheep while using the majority monopolistic OS.

You are the sheep. Nothing worse that a group-thinker who thinks he is radical.

Well, that's not true at all. I'm a software dev, and I hate the Apple closed system on iOS. I don't like being forced to use a specific toolchain or release Apps through a controlled, licensed, approval-pending single route to end user.

You can say what you want about the MS OSes, but they aren't closed platforms. They are closed source, sure, but anyone can write Windows code in any toolchain you want using any libraries you like and distribute in any way you want. MS don't vet the code you can run on your computer, which Apple do with iOS. WP7 is definitely more tightly locked down, more or less like iOS. Android is open source, but most users prefer the fact it's an open platform that can run any app you want without Google's authorisation than the fact that the source is available.

I do prefer *nix and FOSS, but the userbase for most software is running MS OSes and I much prefer writing software for Windows or OSX than iOS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭Grass between the tracks

Dolphin friendly tuna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Any with a non branded alternative that is as good or better.
    Or another branded that's as good or better. Kenco instant is much nicer than Nescafe.:p

I avoid all "Fairtrade" brands.
    :confused:What the hell for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

No specific brands but i won't buy or contribute towards anything Israeli.

you don't have a mobile phone??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

fontanalis wrote: »
    You a skinny, soy, hemp frapaccino gal?

Mmmm hemp coffee sounds delish :pac::pac:(not!)

Nope I just don't want to spend close to $6-7 for a lukewarm coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Hugo Boss because they were heavily involved in the Nazi war effort, they made the uniforms that the SS wore.

[URL="http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss"]http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss[/URL]

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

St.Spodo wrote: »
    The Sun for propagating horrible lies about Liverpool supporters in the wake of the Hillsborough Disaster of '89, in which 96 supporters were killed.
    The Sun, I would agree, but just for it being sh!te or made up sh!te.
    Add to that the News of the World, the Mirror, the Herald, the Daily Mail aw the list is too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

MCD as much as I can. I think they ruin the live music industry in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Coke.
    (The mineral)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

McDonalds Hamburgers. I have a phobia of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

coca cola
    the Sun newspaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

stevejr wrote: »
    Hugo Boss because they were heavily involved in the Nazi war effort, they made the uniforms that the SS wore.

[URL="http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss"]http:///en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Boss[/URL]

That's why the Nazis always looked so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Evian, ever since that terrifying "creepy babies on rollerskates" ad.
    THEY MUST DIE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

stovelid wrote: »
    Do you also boycott other Murdoch companies like Sky Sports?

It was the S*n that published the lies and the S*n that subsequently refused to apologise for the disgusting and offensive headlines

The point about the Murdoch empire can be argued, but diluting the boycott, like it or not, makes it far more difficult to enforce

There are hundreds of Murdoch controlled publications and broadcasters. To boycott them all would be near impossible. By maintaining the boycott of the S*n, it maintains a stronger message

Campaigns for justice for the 96 who died are still on going. Hillsborough is a highly emotive topic for many. I don't know are you attempting to belittle the boycott or what your agenda is, however I personally feel the extent to which the boycott has been maintained demonstrates the level of the feeling behind it.

There's others on here, notably Kess73 and Dub13 who are far more knowledgeable on the topic, and in touch with the campaigns then myself, and who could probably explain this better having more personal connections to the City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Coca-cola

Rimmel, because I would only be supporting Kate Moss.

Can I ask why so many boycott Aer Lingus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Nokia - cause everyone else had one and they seemed to break easily.
    Dell laptops - they just look so cheaply made. Not value for money.
    Sky TV - I prefer to watch the same stuff on other satellites for a quarter of the price.
    Apple Iphone - they look good but apple are sneaky and also theydont support flash.
    Carlsberg - Liverpool associations and cause I prefer Bulmers.
    Lynx - stupid advertisements and used mainly by spotty teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Ryanair
    KFC
    Sky
    American Beers (Coors, Millar etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can I ask why so many boycott Aer Lingus?
    Cause it is Ryanair Lite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

recyclebin wrote: »
    Nokia - cause everyone else had one and they seemed to break easily.
    Dell laptops - they just look so cheaply made. Not value for money.
    Sky TV - I prefer to watch the same stuff on other satellites for a quarter of the price.
    Apple Iphone - they look good but apple are sneaky and also theydont support flash.
    Carlsberg - Liverpool associations and cause I prefer Bulmers.
    Lynx - stupid advertisements and used mainly by spotty teenagers.

Hillsborough aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i boycott anything from israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Add the fontanalis brand to my list cause I never mentioned anything about hillsborough and he is trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not really a brand but i dont eat Cod because its an endangered species

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

When in the states I tend to boycott Wall-mart because of their treatment to foreign workers in factories outside the US, but to be honest there are a lot of brands and makes these days that outsource in 3rd world countries where the factories treat their workers like ****, but what can you do really it seems their nearly all doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

recyclebin wrote: »
    Add the fontanalis brand to my list cause I never mentioned anything about hillsborough and he is trolling

Why do you boycott carlsberg, because they sponsor Liverpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

stovelid wrote: »
    Do you also boycott other Murdoch companies like Sky Sports?

Yeah, that's taking it to extremes for me, or the Sunday Times or News of the World.

The difference I think is the Star eg, published something similar but quickly retracted the statements and apologised. The Sun wouldn't, took about 7/8 years IIRC and it was very mealy mouthed.

We had this debate recently on the Liverpool thread on the Soccer forum about the Irish Sun. It's still the Sun and I wouldn't bring it to Anfield as it's disrespectful to a huge section section of support and victims of the disaster and family members.

Sky is hard to avoid unfortunately, in every fecking pub it seems so people should really boycott pubs showing it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Dell, because their products are sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jumpymunky

Sky.

I find I throw out at least two paper sky tv ads per week, this from a company that runs a campaign about saving an endangered species and its natural habitat i.e the rainforest.

Also, they charge ROI subs more than UK even though the UK customers get free broadband....of all the companies that should know we get to see UK ads....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

K-9 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's taking it to extremes for me, or the Sunday Times or News of the World.

The difference I think is the Star eg, published something similar but quickly retracted the statements and apologised. The Sun wouldn't, took about 7/8 years IIRC and it was very mealy mouthed.

We had this debate recently on the Liverpool thread on the Soccer forum about the Irish Sun. It's still the Sun and I wouldn't bring it to Anfield as it's disrespectful to a huge section section of support and victims of the disaster and family members.

Sky is hard to avoid unfortunately, in every fecking pub it seems so people should really boycott pubs showing it!

Murdoch actually refused to sack McKenzie after the incident and gave him full support IIRC.

Not that I don't hate the Sun and their part in Hillsborough of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement