Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I do have to laugh at the kind of muppets who hate Apple's "closed" system and have an xBox or Wp7, or love Google's "open source" but use MS not Linux, or think Apple users are sheep while using the majority monopolistic OS.

You are the sheep. Nothing worse that a group-thinker who thinks he is radical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

There is a general GroupThink about RyanAir too. I have used about 20 different Airlines in my time, and RyanAir is the one which hasn't let me down. Its also the reason why travel in Europe is cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Yahew wrote: »
    I do have to laugh at the kind of muppets who hate Apple's "closed" system and have an xBox or Wp7, or love Google's "open source" but use MS not Linux, or think Apple users are sheep while using the majority monopolistic OS.

You are the sheep. Nothing worse that a group-thinker who thinks he is radical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVygqjyS4CA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

sam34 wrote: »
    indeed, and they continue to support him and stand by him.

if he was in my family i would disown him.

So what's the end game for someone like him? You would only be happy if his wife divorced him and his entire family disowned him? He should be completely ostracised from society? Would it not be better if he got some form of treatment with the support of his family, if he had nothing left to live for he might be more likely to act on his deviant desires?

Maybe he should just kill himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Really?

Based on 11 men kicking a ball up and down a field?

Seriously?
    Yes seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

American Apparel, I find their marketing really, really offensive and exploitative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Gort musical instruments
    Ryanair
    Nestle
    anything with meat in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Yes seriously.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

laugh wrote: »
    So what's the end game for someone like him? You would only be happy if his wife divorced him and his entire family disowned him? He should be completely ostracised from society? Would it not be better if he got some form of treatment with the support of his family, if he had nothing left to live for he might be more likely to act on his deviant desires?

One less nonce in the world then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Abercrombie and American Apparel based on the deep-seated principle of not being a cunt.

Also far too old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

fontanalis wrote: »
    Warner Brothers; after blatent mis advertising on The Never Ending Story.

Will you boycott The Simpsons as penance, now that you've plagiarised a Lionel Hutz joke?

Will you boycott The Simpsons as penance, now that you've plagiarised a Lionel Hutz joke?

I think Lionel Hutz would approve; he's argued in front of many judges. Often as a lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Gort musical instruments
    Ryanair
    Nestle
    anything with meat in it

Thats just wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

sure if we boycotted companies based on moral grounds we wud never buy a thing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

It's a thorny legal issue all right. I'll need to refer to the case of Finders v. Keepers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Originally Posted by Kevin Duffy Will you boycott The Simpsons as penance, now that you've plagiarised a Lionel Hutz joke?

fontanalis wrote: »
    I think Lionel Hutz would approve; he's argued in front of many judges. Often as a lawyer.

Where his stuff gets recognition, not passed off as someone else's work.

The precendent goes back to the Frank Wallbanger case.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Dell
    Microsoft
    Any clothing brand worn by anyone who attends trinity college or lives in most of south dublin
    philips electronics
    pretty much anything sold in brown thomas
    aer lingus
    anythig with 'fair trade' on it
    anything that focuses on itself being 'green'
    anything running android

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I refuse to buy Starbucks coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

SadieSue wrote: »

I refuse to buy any coffee from one of those wankerish coffee shops!

SadieSue wrote: »

You a skinny, soy, hemp frapaccino gal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

kfallon wrote: »
    I refuse to buy any coffee from one of those wankerish coffee shops!

maxol or topaz is about as fancy as it should get

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Boycotting companies like Pfizer is nice and easy until you end up reliant on something that only they produce. It annoys me even more that the drug I use is one of the ones involved in the 2009 court settlement where they had to pay out over a billion for false claims about the drugs involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Explanations people
    as i was quoted by the poster above, i answer (the below represents only my opinion i am entitled to and may not reflect opinions of other users):

apple - i simply don't like it (and the crazy hype about it even increases my negative feelings towards this company), itunes drive me mad and its nothing else but life-complicating, useless "tool", ipod's sound quality totally sucks despite a couple hundred euro worth sennheiser headphones, iphone is an overpriced piece of crap, same rest of it's products. very simple, very dear, very crap quality - perfect choice for an average tool.

thomson - quality of everything of this brand i've seen in my life sucked - don't want it for free. just pure and utter sh1te - end of story.

philips - similar to thomson (but maybe not as bad), most of its designs are ugly, plastic and looks ****e to me, there are way better products for the same money out there.

peugeot - had one a few years ago: fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

The Sun for propagating horrible lies about Liverpool supporters in the wake of the Hillsborough Disaster of '89, in which 96 supporters were killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

maxol or topaz is about as fancy as it should get

You wont buy coffee from Starbucks,but yet you will buy them from much bigger oil companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

No specific brands but i won't buy or contribute towards anything Israeli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dell. Because their products are ****E.

I would say apple - but fact is I love their laptops, particularly after the aforementioned Dell ****e. Not interested in their phones or their ipads.

Dominoes. I mostly ardently boycott dominoes after one of their delivery guys gave me alot of abuse one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

St.Spodo wrote: »
    The Sun for propagating horrible lies about Liverpool supporters in the wake of the Hillsborough Disaster of '89, in which 96 supporters were killed.

Do you also boycott other Murdoch companies like Sky Sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

laugh wrote: »

<snip>
    Speculation not welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

aerlingus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement