Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

stovelid wrote: »
    Murdoch actually refused to sack McKenzie after the incident and gave him full support IIRC.

Not that I don't hate the Sun and their part in Hillsborough of course.

Unfortunately some still believe the lies because the Sun said it. Yep, people like that should be ignored but it's hurtful to the family members but there have been high profile examples, an American DJ just last year.

Remember the inquiry cleared Liverpool fans and couldn't find anything to back it up, despite their best efforts. The judge commended Liverpool fans on their reaction while officialdom was failing all around them. Some very brave police officers and emergency service personnel stood up and whistle blowed too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You wont buy coffee from Starbucks,but yet you will buy them from much bigger oil companies?

i love oil companies, i hate greenpeace and fair trade and isreal ,

starbucks - overpriced, tastes crap, fair trade sympathy wankery, the people who go there are knobs , pro isreal

oil companies - provides me the liquid to heat my gaf, run my jeep, plastics and other such, piss off hippys and petrol stations arent known places for hipster scum to hang out all day - unknown stance on isreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

starbucks - overpriced, tastes crap, fair trade sympathy wankery, the people who go there are knobs , pro isreal

oil companies - provides me the liquid to heat my gaf, run my jeep, plastics and other such, piss off hippys and petrol stations arent known places for hipster scum to hang out all day - unknown stance on isreal

is(this)real?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I actually enjoy mentioning to people who support Liverpool but have never gone to Anfield that I buy The Sun (even though I don't-or any tabloids) and then listen to them rant on.

Loads of brands/services I don't buy. Too many to mention but honourable mention must go to kips like McDonalds/Burger King/Starbuck's.

Do people want our cities all to end up with the same crap on sale?

Cop the fuck on will youse? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Crimbouser

Anyone stay away from cosmetic companies that are known to test on animals like l'oreal? Testing for medical research i understand, but silly using it for cosmetics when in vitro testing is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

HARVEY fuckface NORMAN!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Nike. It's because of their sweatshops but as an added bonus I get to avoid looking like an idiot with a brand name brandished across my chest. I think it was Will Self that said something like "If I'm going to walk around with a logo I should be paid for advertising your products". He put it better than that but I forget the exact words he used.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another Sony boycotter here. I was already annoyed at their pricing, and their tendency to introduce new media formats instead of going along with the standards, and/or try to control media format. Sometimes it backfires on them e.g. Betamax was around for years before VHS, and was a good format, but Sony's proprietary attitude meant that they lost that race. MiniDisc? Bleh. Memory Stick? Got lost between Compact Flash and SD - unless you bought a Sony product that needed it.

Sometimes they win a format war: Blu-Ray is a Sony format, and they get royalties from every disc and player sold. (As if I needed another reason to not go HD?). But the last straw, for me, was when they put a rootkit virus on some audio CDs, silently hacking your PC as soon as you put the disc in the drive, and all in the name of copyright protection. That was it: I had never bought a Sony product, and now I never will. :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I won't fly Ryanair anymore, not through any moralistic principle, but I'm a nervous flyer

Thats fair enough

Sinfonia wrote: »
    and after becoming pretty comfortable with flying with Aer Lingus for a while, I then took a Ryanair flight and spent two hours panicking. Just felt really unsafe up there, like the walls were paper thin or something. Again, not necessarily disparaging the airline

The walls on any Airliner regardless of who Operates them are pretty much of the same thickness. Ryanair operate the Boeing 737-800 one of the most widely used/successful/ and safest Aircraft around, AerLingus also operate safe Aircraft ( Airbus A330/A320 etc ) and have Operated Boeing Aircraft in the past.

Why exactly did you panic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Nike. It's because of their sweatshops but as an added bonus I get to avoid looking like an idiot with a brand name brandished across my chest. I think it was Will Self that said something like "If I'm going to walk around with a logo I should be paid for advertising your products". He put it better than that but I forget the exact words he used.

Get off the high horse ffs, if people like a brand,there's nothing wrong with them walking around with it plastered all over them

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭keithc83

PC World. Not a particular brand but i will not buy anything ever again in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

11 pages in, and no one has mentioned o2 Ireland yet?

Crap upgrade policies
    New customers get better offers than loyal for years ones
    Changed their contract details recently in a stealth move
    charge Paddy way more than UK customers from better bundled deals
    Used to offer free roaming when in UK, subsequently pulled this offer because they could!
    Charge waaaay too much for crap Inc mins/text deals
    Don't offer prepay customers data addons
    General fückpots all round!

I could go on all day, but they really are a shower of goalpost moving, money grabbing whores!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ghandee wrote: »
    11 pages in, and no one has mentioned o2 Ireland yet?

Crap upgrade policies
    New customers get better offers than loyal for years ones
    Changed their contract details recently in a stealth move
    charge Paddy way more than UK customers from better bundled deals
    Used to offer free roaming when in UK, subsequently pulled this offer because they could!
    Charge waaaay too much for crap Inc mins/text deals
    Don't offer prepay customers data addons
    General fückpots all round!

I could go on all day, but they really are a shower of goalpost moving, money grabbing whores!

Do you think that might have anything to do with the cost of doing business in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Do you think that might have anything to do with the cost of doing business in this country?

of course not. rabble rabble rabble!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Nope, I think its because they're a crowd of money grabbing whores!
    Just like I said in my post!

Doh !

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Maccy ds and starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Spat coke everywhere reading that. Fine work as usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭thunderthing

Brennan's Bread, just because I hate the guy in their ads so much.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Nope, I think its because they're a crowd of money grabbing whores!
    Just like I said in my post!

Doh !

Sometimes I really don't like AH :(;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 windowgobo

If i boycotted every unethical company i would have an empty fridge, so i focus my energy on crimes against humanity... Monsanto.

Pat the Baker :(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I actually enjoy mentioning to people who support Liverpool but have never gone to Anfield that I buy The Sun (even though I don't-or any tabloids) and then listen to them rant on.

Aren't you quite the attention seeker.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

So fcuking annoying its famous...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't "boycott" any brand. If I like it and they provide it cheap I'll take it. I don't care if Hitler squeezes my orange juice and Josef Fritzl pours it in to the carton, if it's a cent cheaper than Tropico and tastes nicer they have my business. I buy products based on the product itself not it's manufacturers's back story.

tommyhaas wrote: »
    So fcuking annoying its famous...

Its the fat bloke delivering the bread that puts me off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Skoda (aka VW) and Delta.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Would you wind up people about 9/11? Relative to the size of the cities, they were on the same scale
    Its the fat bloke delivering the bread that puts me off :(

Ah its the song for me. I'm not really like them in the video, I'm not in the habit of breaking in to song's about bread spontaneously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Sharp, vodafone, AIG, Aon, Umbro and any other brand associated with that club.

The average Irish person boycotting AIG and Aon is kinda like giving up selection boxes for lent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Irish Independent, because they continue to give David Quinn a mouthpiece at least once a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement