Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any brands you don't buy on principle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Not really a brand but I cross the road to avoid any Health Food Shops or any of that Altenative Medicene ****e..Also stupid Faith healers..

And Burger King..Cause the 'King' guy is beyond freaky.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Spat coke everywhere reading that. Fine work as usual!

i aim to please :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

not brand as such but i buy as much irish produce as i can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

ive never gone near American Apparel - since reading an article about a girl who worked there. she had lost an arm from the elbow so she wore a prosthetic. their staff 'uniform' at the time was black slacks and shortsleeve white top. they wouldnt let her show the elbow or something like that - as it didnt fit in with their all american wholesome image. this was prob a decade ago. so ive never gone in there because of the attitude.

i avoid ryanair for the usual reasons - and theyre also very iffy about helping people with wheelchairs and who need assistance (from their FAQ) - maybe its different in practice. but remember that time they tried to introduce the wheelchair levy? a good a reason as any for me to give them the swerve (mums in a chair)

i dont boycott any other brands though... i wont be going near 3 again after my experiences but i dont think its a boycott unless they have something you want (but may or may not get elsewhere)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Jacobs. That new add is sickening. Cadburys, americans can't make anything right. That now includes chocolate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Liverpool fans, are you actually saying you would but the sun if it wasn't for hillsborough?
    I'd avoid abercrombie because I believe its a wanker company that makes clothes for ****.
    anything that focuses on itself being 'green'

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Liverpool fans, are you actually saying you would but the sun if it wasn't for hillsborough?

Circulation of the paper in Liverpool has apparently dropped by 200,000 copies to just 12,000 copies daily in Liverpool. Its not just Liverpool fans either, none of my Evertonian mates would buy it. That would seem to suggest that yea they would

Personally, I only buy a paper a few times a week. I'm not particularly fussy about what I buy, I like the Star for the sports crossword, the herald for the Dublin stuff, maybe if the Sun hadent told the lies that they did, I would have bought that from time to time

ive never looked into it , but just to say even if the sun were lying, fair balls on them to go and announce the negative side of something , im sick of the media taking 1 side and forgiving all when things happen eg. micheal jackson died - no mention of kiddy fiddling in the reports, gerry ryan died - nobody mentioned cocaine for a week , jade goody - nobody mentioned how much of a looper or racist she is , the sun may have lied but atleast they didnt just lay down and give the 'everyones innocent this is terrible' attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

ive never looked into it , but just to say even if the sun were lying, fair balls on them to go and announce the negative side of something , im sick of the media taking 1 side and forgiving all when things happen eg. micheal jackson died - no mention of kiddy fiddling in the reports, gerry ryan died - nobody mentioned cocaine for a week , jade goody - nobody mentioned how much of a looper or racist she is , the sun may have lied but atleast they didnt just lay down and give the 'everyones innocent this is terrible' attitude

The Sun is a rag for morons, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

The Sun - Hillsborough
    Apple - I generally find you can get a better/equal product for cheaper so why bother. I also dislike all the fanboy crap that Apple seems to draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't shop in Supervalu
    For taking a job and turning it into cheap labour.
    The WPP was not meant for this
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/thebatoneffect/FAS/seva.jpg

Standman wrote: »
    The Sun is a rag for morons, end of.

this is true, would just have been nice if the times or another paper had have carried the negative aspects and didnt pretend that everyone is innocent all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

They swallowed the police lies, not a brave decision at all, they just went with the official line.

So did the radio, BBC for example, they quickly copped what was happening. The Sun printed it while Liverpool was burying their dead and despite others retracting it, they stood behind it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The evening Herald.....the paper is a rag and the so called ''journalists'' that write for it are walter mitty types that make up stories and invent ''sources'' to fill the article with more fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

this is true, would just have been nice if the times or another paper had have carried the negative aspects and didnt pretend that everyone is innocent all the time

what Negative aspects? all that stuff the sun printed were lies...theres a reason why both liverpool and everton fans have boycotted the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

The Sun. What an absolute abomination and rag of a "newspaper".

KFC - animal cruelty

McDonalds - animal cruelty, and it annoys me how they try to be so healthy nowadays with their McSalads and what not. :mad: You're a fatty fast food chain and nothing more; get over it.

Loreal (and quite a few other make up brands etc) - animal testing

Abercrombie - ridiculously overpriced, size zero clothes and seem to only employ conventionally pretty and size zero people.

Nestle -palm oil and baby scandal- easy for me, as their chocolate tastes cheap anyway.

Any eggs/mayonnaise etc which aren't free range.

96 fans were crushed to death in a football stadium. The Sun printed the following, all of which was subsequently found to be untrue:

“The Truth.
    Some fans picked pockets of victims
    Some fans urinated on the brave cops
    Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life.”

Four days after the tragedy, friends and family of the victims as well as survivors were confronted by this.

But fair balls to them you say? Thats a disgusting attitude IMO

major bill wrote: »
    what Negative aspects? all that stuff the sun printed were lies...theres a reason why both liverpool and everton fans have boycotted the paper.

i havent really looked into this specific case, i know f*ck all about it, i was just complaining about how papers take the safe line and call everyone innocent in it, atleast the sun went with a line that pointed to the negative aspects of the victims reaction

although retracting it would have been a good idea when actually proved wrong

i havent really looked into this specific case, i know f*ck all about it,

Well then maybe you should keep your fcuking opinions to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Scoda (aka VW) and Delta.

Skoda will be relieved you still like them though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

laros wrote: »

I have read that book, it put me off Coca Cola for a while, but it tastes too f*cking nice too give up entirely. But I only have the odd can once in a while. They truly are a shower of c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

i havent really looked into this specific case, i know f*ck all about it, i was just complaining about how papers take the safe line and call everyone innocent in it, atleast the sun went with a line that pointed to the negative aspects of the victims reaction

although retracting it would have been a good idea when actually proved wrong

It's the Sun. Seriously.

Stop trying to be controversial and use your head and cop on.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Volvic water...specifically because of this....

"Just took 5 minutes of work and goin to have a cheeky volvic".

A cheeky fucking volvic? are you fuckin serious? You absolute cunt. I actually have picked up a bottle of it in the shop,remembered this ad,put it back and picked up a different brand of water. Wankers.

K-9 wrote: »
    It's the Sun. Seriously.

Stop trying to be controversial and use your head and cop on.

im not tryign to be anything , im going to be honest i dont really care about what peoples reasons against the sun in this case are, i dont read the sun and dont care what they print , when proved wrong they should have retracted it , and it was sad that innocent people died etc...

my problem is with newspapers being afraid to blame anybody or mention older newsworthy things in situations like this , for instance gerry ryans death, not a single paper mentioned a possibility that his cocaine use could have caused his death etc... its almost like somebody dying absolves them from all previous wrongdoing in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Israeli products

, for instance gerry ryans death, not a single paper mentioned a possibility that his cocaine use could have caused his death etc...

You wait for the Coroners report.

You don't start mentioning possibilities unless you want to get sued and dragged to the courts like Independent newspapers and their story on Liam Lawlor and his translator.
    And they deserved to get sued!

You wait for the Coroners report.

You don't start mentioning possibilities unless you want to get sued and dragged to the courts like Independent newspapers and their story on Liam Lawlor and his translator.
    And they deserved to get sued!

if youve previously printed the posibilities then your fairly clear , if the sun honestly believed they had accurate info then they were right to print it rather than pretend everything was all sad and innocent , their mistake was not retracting it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I refuse to buy/read the Sunday World - last time I read it there was an article about being offered extra's during a massage but they "made their excuses and left and something about being a family newspaper" - however towards the back of the paper there was a page and a half of phone/chat/sex lines being advertised!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭diamondtooth

Ford (I worked for them and they were terrible to work for. So I can never like their products. I don't care how good they are)

BMW (I don't want to be associated with their brand image. If I had a choice it would be a Merecedes any day)

Irish Independent

RTE (avoid as much as possible)

O2

• Advertisement

News of the World

"Hi I'm a groupie/wannabe and I slept with Robbie Williams or some other celebrity." Robbie is just an obvious example, there are others

I'm here to sell my story of what happened. I can tell it realy meant a lot for both of us but don't read my story and mistake me as low class for this kiss n'tell

And here is a picture of me dressed scantily yet strategically covered up.

I don't want to be appear slutty for this and I'd just die if my parents found out :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement