Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Shepherd Convent Dunboyne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shassa

Mazdoll wrote: »
    Hello Shassa

hi all
    it would be great to meet up with all and to see how everyone had got on and i do think that we need to be heard as you say hidden for to long our stories need to be told

• Registered Users Posts: 7 orange girl

yes i think it would b great to meet up , i did keep in touch with some of the girls for about three years or so but sadly it was sooo difficult for most of them re their circumstances,sadly some did not have avery happy outcome .
    Do you remember a film crew came from rte and interviewed some of us and about 12 years ago sr anne contacted me again to see did i want to do a follow up but i refused ,she was working in south anne st with cura then and around that time her mum died,but i dont know where she is now.
    i am writing this thread now just after leaving the hospital where my daughter is in the process of giving birth with all the love and support she needs ,amazing how things change isnt it,
    Mazdoll after thinking about your pm and do think i remember you just leaving as i arrived its all so hazy at times the fights i had re refusals to sign with certain people ,

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Mazdoll

Congrats on the new arrival, you'll have to let us know, boy or girl ??????
    Anyone remember answering the phone lines for cura in good shepherd. I remember thinking to myself, jaysus if the phone rings what will i say being 7 months myself and stuck up here.........mad....

I think we need to have a reunion ???? is that what you'd call it....from all over the years....Mary Magdelene and myself were talking about it before...any takers

• Registered Users Posts: 7 orange girl

No thank god didnt have to answer the phone but did have to scrub all the clothes by hand ,remember the laundry??? I also remember someone getting a private copy of the excorcist and getting caught watching it and yes we were sorry. no news on the baby yet she is happy puffing air and gas ,where did the time go ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭albeit

Does anyone know what the good shephard sisters are doing nowadays? Has anyone googled them together with a name of some asian or african country to see if they are still providing their services in less fortunate parts of the world. I think I found one mother and baby home in bangkok and one in another asian country on the web. They also appear to still organise adoptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 helen k

hi i was in dunboyne from september 1988 and left in march 1989 .i remember sister anne and the husky dog was anybody there at tht time tht remembers helen k. i just found this site tonight and am shocked and intrigued by it all its 21 yrs since i was there and had a happy out come

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cargeo711

Hi I was in Dunboyne from September 1986 till March 1987. Had been talked into getting my son adopted. I must say they were good, did it in such a way that I thought the whole thing was all my own idea! He was gone for 6 long weeks while I fought to get him back. But times have changed as another poster pointed out. I was with my daughter when she gave birth to my lovely Grandson. And there was no question of him going anywhere but home with his family.

shassa wrote: »
    gavig123 wrote: »
    hi shassa

i am trying to find out some information about a girl that took a photo of me and my daughter in the hospital she was in dunboyne too but i cannot remember her name

hi shassa helen k. here i took a photo of a girl with her baby in holistreet hospital my daughter was born in march 1989 she is 22 this year .i was in dunboyne from sep 1988 till march 1989.i hope this is some help for u .

regards helen k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

After reading your stories here I feel like I have been reading a personal diary. My heart goes out to all of you. I never knew that mother and baby homes existed - I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of them. I hope all of you find what you are searching for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lillymay

hi m

• Advertisement

hi my name was known as helen k left in 1989 my daughter is 22 this march now were u there then . i rem so many girls but not there names i was there for 7months met lovely friends but met none of them since

hi lilymay

Its 16 months since i first posted and there has been ....9, 999 views. Hello to all you ladies who have posted and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

deelite wrote: »
    After reading your stories here I feel like I have been reading a personal diary. My heart goes out to all of you. I never knew that mother and baby homes existed - I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of them. I hope all of you find what you are searching for.

Me too. I remember hearing about "the convent" in Dunboyne when I was a child. My uncle, Ger Kelly, used to drive a mini bus service and I think may have taken some some of your ladies to Holles Street for your appointments and to give birth:confused: He was a lovely uncle and I sincerely hope he was nice to all of you.
    I think you are such brave women to have gone through what you have and come out the other side of it. I hope you're all happy with life. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Thanks Penny,

I don't think your Uncle would have been allowed to talk to us in case we 'corrupted' himI assume :D but I certainly don't remember any of the workers being nasty - mostly indifferent I would say. The pig man used to talk to me - anyone remember him?

However, I would love to know does anyone know if they used a particular taxi firm or local man as I would love to thank the taxi driver that collected me from the hospital. It wasn't easy for him.

Thanks Penny,

I don't think your Uncle would have been allowed to talk to us in case we 'corrupted' himI assume :D but I certainly don't remember any of the workers being nasty - mostly indifferent I would say. The pig man used to talk to me - anyone remember him?

However, I would love to know does anyone know if they used a particular taxi firm or local man as I would love to thank the taxi driver that collected me from the hospital. It wasn't easy for him.

He died a few years ago, quite a sad death really as he had Alzheimers and Parkinsons but he and his wife were an aunt and uncle that I was really close to, almost like another mum and dad. I used to go on my "holidays" to their house in Dunboyne and thought I was in clover as I got away from my brother and sisters and got to do fun stuff like to to bingo (:o the expectations of kids on their holidays all those years ago eh?).
    I often think about them both and remember him talking about the convent and the girls there and taking them to the hospital for appointments and other such things. I never understood what was happening in the convent (good ol' Ireland back then, such things were never openly discussed and the damage that caused:() but remember the tone he and my aunt spoke in was always one of gentleness and kindness. Maybe this was because they had adopted two girls themselves as they were unable to have children I don't know. I just really do hope that he was nice to everyone :)

Hi there Penny,
    Thank you so much for posting, I remember Gerry the Taxi man and he brought me to hospital and collected me a few times. Such a gentleman, i am very sorry to hear his passing wasn't easy. He was such a good man and was always available morning noon or night should any of us go into labour. He told me he had two daughters adopted and was always kind and gentle. You should be very proud of him for the kindness he showed to a lot of us girls who were up there. Please pass condolences to his wife, i have never forgotten him and wondered over the years was he still doing the taxi service. Couldnt have been easy for him. We did a drop to a laundry in Dublin city centre once a week with sheets, anyone remember the name of it.
    Thanks Mazdoll

However, I would love to know does anyone know if they used a particular taxi firm or local man as I would love to thank the taxi driver that collected me from the hospital. It wasn't easy for him.[/QUOTE]

Hello Mary ,
    It was the same man Gerry the taxi driver, he also used to drive the mini bus. He had been doing it for quiet a number of years when I was there. Almost sure it was the same man. Mazdoll

• Registered Users Posts: 12 minnie10

Hi Harry,

I was just reconnected today with this thread, and I came across you. I am adopted and was born 10th May 1975 so just six months before you and I was also in the Good Shepherd Home. I just wonder if you received any information about this place, and if you could share it me. I only now decided to find out a bit more about myself after years of thinking of doing it.

Hope to hear from you

minnie10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 flipmeister

Hi everyone,

I recently found out that my mam was in the convent when expecting me. I was born January 1983, although I was not adopted. My mother was their because my parents were not married at the time and was sent there in secret by my grandmother, I have been told that was not unheard of! Crazy how things have changed. After I was born I remained in the convent up until my parents marraige in March 1983, where I was then taken home with them. During my several weeks there my parents used to visit every sunday up until they could get married and I suppose break the news to their families and take me home.

I actually remember as a toddler visiting the convent the odd sunday for a long time. Where we visited a 'Sister Cait' and unbelieveably reading through all the previous posts the husky dog flashed in to my mind. I can actually remember playing with a husky dog in the garden there. Obviously I had no idea the situation regards why we vistited, I was always told that Sister Cait was a friend of my parents. Every visit she had a present for me and we always received a card from her at xmas.

As I have just been told all the truth and events of all this I am quiet taken aback as its unbelieveable that this was only a relatively short time ago. If anyone would have any additional info regards what it may have been like there for my mam and also what it would have been like for me there on my own as a baby I would appreciate it. Also if anyone knows of Sister Cait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MaryMagdalene

Penny if indeed it was your Uncle you should indeed be very proud of him.

flipmeister - I cannot answer for you as a baby as by 1985 there were no babies kept there. I remember Sr Cait but you have to understand its difficult to be objective.

However my honest assessment is of a decent person doing a difficult job and following the rules. She was not cruel but she was not someone I would warm to either. At the end of the day she did her job to the best of her ability and she made sure that medically both the mothers and babies were well looked after.

However it does sound like your Mother and her formed a friendship so take heart from that.

I know some of the girls were very grateful as for a lot of them their families didn't and couldn't ever know about them. I think in your situation your Mother, whilst missing you over the 6 months etc., always knew that it was a temporary situation and therefore it would have been less traumatic.

Aslo maybe for your Mother it was a relief to go there to simply (excuse the pun) let it all hang out and somewhere she could relax as there is nothing as stressful as trying to hide the bump :D. God I remember my own Mother thumping me to pull my stomach in in case anyone noticed!!

Hope this helps in some way :).

Penny if indeed it was your Uncle you should indeed be very proud of him.

flipmeister - I cannot answer for you as a baby as by 1985 there were no babies kept there. I remember Sr Cait but you have to understand its difficult to be objective.

However my honest assessment is of a decent person doing a difficult job and following the rules. She was not cruel but she was not someone I would warm to either. At the end of the day she did her job to the best of her ability and she made sure that medically both the mothers and babies were well looked after.

However it does sound like your Mother and her formed a friendship so take heart from that.

I know some of the girls were very grateful as for a lot of them their families didn't and couldn't ever know about them. I think in your situation your Mother, whilst missing you over the 6 months etc., always knew that it was a temporary situation and therefore it would have been less traumatic.

Aslo maybe for your Mother it was a relief to go there to simply (excuse the pun) let it all hang out and somewhere she could relax as there is nothing as stressful as trying to hide the bump :D. God I remember my own Mother thumping me to pull my stomach in in case anyone noticed!!

Hope this helps in some way :).

Thanks :) I was talking to my cousin (the oldest of the two girls my aunt and uncle adopted) last week and told her about this thread. The good feelings people seem to have had for my uncle really cheered her up so much. It was great to be able to pass on such positive things about him to her.

I was talking to my mum about the thread too and Uncle Ger and she said that it was funny how the lived experiences of a situation differed so much from what people saw on the outside. My Uncle had always said that it seemed as though the nuns in Dunboyne had been pretty decent to all of the girls there under their care and it made him glad that the old draconian measures seemed to have been in the past. Reading the posts here it would appear that things were still very difficult for the girls in the convent. It makes you so glad that things have moved on so much in the intervening years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 minnie10

Hi Everyone,

I was born on the 10th May 1975 in holles St, Hospital and from there went to the Good Sheperd Convent in Dunboyne with my mother. I was adopted in December 1975. I don't have alot of information, but I do have a copy of application form for St Josephs Home for babies in Stamullen, which gives very vague details. (Obviously I must have been going to be sent here, but I was very forunate got 2 lovely adopted parents. I

The form was a pink colour and beside my mothers name was the no 29, can anyone tell what this number might have stood for, e.g her age or maybe the room no she was in(if any, or bed number). Can anyone throw some light on this, Please??

I lwould like just to know a bit more about what it was like during that time. I recently found out that my adopted cousin who had a baby herself a few months after I was adopted and she also was in The Good Sheperd Convent and gave her son up for adoption, but she has been blessed to have been reunited with her son.

If anyone who was born and adopted in 1975 or if anyone who had a child around May 1975 can give me any information, I would be so greatful.

Thanks

Minnie 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mother1986

I was in Dunboyne from April 1986 to July 1986. There were over 40 girls there when I arrived. The memories are both happy and sad but all still very vivid. I have been back to 'Dunboyne Castle' once since it became a hotel and all the memories came flooding back. I learned how to knit! Nothing much else to do once you finished your chore in the morning. I remember the view from my bedroom and the squirrels on the lawn and the walk into the village to the wool shop or for icecream. We were all only on first name basis and I never saw any of you again but we helped eachother through a very tough time in life!:)
    Susan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 odette75

Hi Minnie 10

Looks like you and I arrived at the same time, I was born on 11th of May 1975 in Holles Street and then shipped out to Dunboyne. My bm was from monaghan and her name is Patricia, I was put up for adoption too but my grandmother fell for my twinkling eyes and took me home and reared me as her own, I was a lucky one. I had to there myself to see the place or just feel it really, I steadied myself with a strong cuppa in the uber posh end before wandering in to old part, it was errie to say the least, and very emotional to walk the same corridors our mothers walked. I was amazed at the size of the front door, and how it really seperated both worlds. I found it very funny however when I noticed the security cameras following me as I gazed around the hall, now if they had been there way back in the day many of us would have fewer questions;)

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dixdix

Hi, I was doing a google search and came across your comments.
    I was in Dunboyne from April until August in 1990, I had an ok time
    up there. I was lucky as I had a great social worker and she convinced me that I would be great mother and I kept my beautiful baby son, who will be 21 years old this year. I was known as Ailish as there was a lot of Eileens there at time and it was confusing. It was lovely to hear from other girls who were there, ive always thought about the time up there and the people I met when I was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 karen from cork

hi mazdoll , i was in dunboyne feb to sept 89. Came across yr chats and also orange girls . i remember some of the girls , ge it really brought back all those memories that were in my head and some were like a dream that i had to think did i go through it at all? do remember sr ann , and laundry room at back , and the chapel on sunday morning , used to go to mass on a sunday myself as i kept nearly passing out in that small chapel , and often i would go as far as the church but not go in and at times i was quized as to was i there and that i was not seen, ??? i dont know if ye remember me but i was asked a couple of times to cut some of the nuns hair . I got friendly with a blondie haired girl linda and we wrote a couple of times then i lost contact . would love to hear from ye .the yrs have made me stronger but the emptyness never goes even after having a lovely husband and 3 children who i love so much . karen from cork

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shassa

hello all
    i remember being in Dunboyne in November 1985 to march 1986 and i remember my mother did not notice that i was pregnant but sent me away so no-one would know. But when i got to Dunboyne within a matter of days i was about two sizes bigger i just blossomed as they say ha ha. I gave my baby girl up for adoption in 1986 not by my choice as i was only sixteen and i do remember Sr Cait. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lauradin

Hi everyone,
    I was in dunboyne from march 89 until july 89, i think i remember you karen but to be honest a lot of that time is a blur of memories, but reading this has brought back a lot of memories, yes i remember the laundry and and the small chapel. i was only looking at a photo of sr anne and her dog lately. my daughter is nearly 22 now and i often wonder if i should bring her up to show her dunboyne now that it is open as a hotel but i think it could be a bit wierd facing back there. does anyone know where sr anne is now? i also remember a sr ambrose and i think shiela was either a social worker or a nurse (not sure on that, does anyone remeber her?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

I have to say I admire you all.

I was 17 in 1988 when I fell pregnant for my 1st, a boy. However I was living in the UK and whilst my Catholic parents persuaded us to get married (we separated just over 2 years later), I cant imagine how different it was for you all. I do remember my Irish grandfather being persuaded not from come over to Ireland for the wedding as I was 7months gone! Getting married wasnt the solution, we quickly had another child in June 1990 and separated months later. My life was a bit of a mess but I dont regret any of it.

I just wonder what experience I would have had if I was here.

love to you all, some very amazing women...x.x.x..x.x

Advertisement