Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boole Library conversationalists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jak O Shadows

deisedude wrote: »
    Bottles of water are allowed and could just as easily do all that. Its a stupid rule

Fair enough water can do some of the damage i mentioned, it tends to be in screw top bottles though, unlike open coffee cups. They could allow soft drinks in screw top bottles and coffee in non spill mugs but that is a lot harder to enforce. Then you have an argument every time. But they are drinking coffee ....
    Its not the rules I disagree with, its the enforcement. Theyll be strict as fcuk on everything and anything for a few weeks, then well be back to the same old shíte. They should just deal with the major problems all year round.

I have no doubt that the library staff would love to enforce the rules all the time, but I have been watching them over the last couple of days and it is taking a lot of man hours. If they let up they would be back to square one in no time. I feel sorry for them, its tough work constantly correcting behaviour and getting very little thanks for it, if not downright abuse. I was told by one of the Library staff that they have lost about 20 staff over the last couple of years and they won't be replaced.

Of course at the end of the day it is our behaviour that is the problem, we are the ones answering our phones, chatting, eating, socializing, hiding books, tearing out chapters etc. etc. If we showed a little bit of respect for each other then the Library staff wouldn't have to correct anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

What ****ing bull**** this is. I am so angry reading the posts on this.There is some real dickheads in UCC and at time i say to myself i should have went to CIT because you wouldnt get any stuck up people there. invinciblePRSTV, who are you??what are you at...coming into the library and seeing the staff standing there..nd then to look at the tv's and to see that certain students helped to bring this is. well, invinciblePRSTV, you are obvioulsy one of them. Fair dues to the fella who refused to give them there student card. I dont blame him one bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

bah ignore not worth the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

What ****ing bull**** this is. I am so angry reading the posts on this.There is some real dickheads in UCC and at time i say to myself i should have went to CIT because you wouldnt get any stuck up people there. invinciblePRSTV, who are you??what are you at...coming into the library and seeing the staff standing there..nd then to look at the tv's and to see that certain students helped to bring this is. well, invinciblePRSTV, you are obvioulsy one of them. Fair dues to the fella who refused to give them there student card. I dont blame him one bit..

What's wrong with you corcaighabu92, why not share your frustrations with us in a more legible manner? did something happen to you?

No nothing happened to me. I may have went over board with the language but i think this new campaign is pure nonsense and rubbish..

• Advertisement

No nothing happened to me. I may have went over board with the language but i think this new campaign is pure nonsense and rubbish..

I beg to differ, the noise problem in the library is an issue and it was time it was tackled, although they should have been promoting this campaign since the first day of the undergraduate term.

The guy who didn't give his card to the library staff when they caught him breaking the rules and distracting other people deserves a few slaps, not praise.

What do you disagree with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

deisedude wrote: »
    Bottles of water are allowed and could just as easily do all that. Its a stupid rule

water won't stain paper/books like coffee or coke would. it won't be as damaging to electronics as liquids that have sugar/electrolytes in them.

I think it is just over hpyed. No need for it. And once again to the lad who refused to give up his card. Fair play to ya. Well done.

I think it is just over hpyed. No need for it. And once again to the lad who refused to give up his card. Fair play to ya. Well done.

Well I suspect you must fall into the category they are aiming the campaign at if you think there is no need for it ...

• Advertisement

Elaborate for us corcaighabu92, in what way is it it overhyped? a sign, an email, some leaflets on the desk and an increased staff presence at the entrance? it's hardly in your face now is it?.

The lad who didn't give up his card up deserves a few pucks for being a little prick, he wouldn't be long getting one if it was myself being distracted i can tell you that much.

No doubt corcaighabu92 with the way you've presented yourself on here that you are one of the noisy feckers this campaign is targeted at. Be honest with us and admit you like to have a chat and a laugh in the library and you think we're all killjoys ruining your fun.

Well just to let you know, I am not one of thoe noisy people that ye say they are. I dont go to the library with my friends, never have id say. I always go on my own to use a computer or get books. This thing of getting ur card taken off you or getting fined for having a drink or having a bit of a whisper. Bit much in my opinion.

Came in today to see a stupid talk taking place. Now that is noise. And wouldnt you think the staff would get there computers sorted out. It is a disgrace now.

Came in today to see a stupid talk taking place. Now that is noise. And wouldnt you think the staff would get there computers sorted out. It is a disgrace now.

I think you are just one of those difficult people to be honest. That and/or a troll.

No im not. What was that talk about today??I am being totally serious about the computers. Is this a problem around this time of year every year. Came in to do a bit of work and had to go home because they were giving me so much trouble.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

No im not. What was that talk about today??I am being totally serious about the computers. Is this a problem around this time of year every year. Came in to do a bit of work and had to go home because they were giving me so much trouble.

Turn them off then on again - lot of the time the computers are pretty slow in there cos they have been on for a few days at a time, turning off and on sorts it.

There are also a load of mice not working with the computers as well - whenever I'm studying inside there I haven't had any problems with noise at all. Big fuss over a small issue - would be better sorting out the people who dump their stuff and bugger off for the day at study time, other times of the year its less hassle cos there is plenty of space. Heard they were going painting the library according to noise levels permitted - money going down the drain imo

The great thing is that this initiative is having an effect and the Library is much quieter. The rules are in place, the staff are enforcing them and it doesn't matter a damn what corcaighabu92 and rebel girl 15 think about it. :D Happy days, long may it continue. Hopefully they will start using the absence slips too and kicking desk hogs off spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hopefully they will start using the absence slips too and kicking desk hogs off spaces.

They'd want to bring them into effect immediately. The 'desk hogs' are worse in some cases than the noisey folk.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The great thing is that this initiative is having an effect and the Library is much quieter. The rules are in place, the staff are enforcing them and it doesn't matter a damn what corcaighabu92 and rebel girl 15 think about it. :D Happy days, long may it continue. Hopefully they will start using the absence slips too and kicking desk hogs off spaces.

WTF? Much quieter?? I don't think so - not in my experience anyway! they'll enforce it for a while, then forget about it again! Big hullabaloo over nothing, enforcing the rules at the door - give me a break! Don't know what parts of the library you study in if you think the library is much quieter! Was always quiet where I study!

the hogging of space is a much bigger issue that the noise imo. And another thing, people who use laptops inside in the library and not in the specific room built for them - wish they'd go where there are plenty of sockets, instead of having the whir of fans and clicking when people are trying to read and study - pretty sure some people complaining about noise on here are guilty of that! Surprised it hasn't come up already about noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

calm_down.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

What room is specifically for laptops? Do you mean the new section?

Expecting people not to use laptops in the library is kind of taking the biscuit!

Agree with you there rebelgirl15. The problem of people at a computer for a whole day is a complete joke. Needs to be sorted out. Much bigger problem.

the hogging of space is a much bigger issue that the noise imo. And another thing, people who use laptops inside in the library and not in the specific room built for them - wish they'd go where there are plenty of sockets, instead of having the whir of fans and clicking when people are trying to read and study - pretty sure some people complaining about noise on here are guilty of that! Surprised it hasn't come up already about noise!

Do us a favour love! you're clutching at straws here and making it up about the extension being specifically for people with laptops. The reason there are plugs at every table there and not in the old part of the library is because one was built 5 years ago and the other decades ago when laptops weren't ubiquitous. What library in the 21st Century is going to ban Laptops ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Agree with you there rebelgirl15. The problem of people at a computer for a whole day is a complete joke. Needs to be sorted out. Much bigger problem.

Even worse are the people that spend the whole time on youtube or facebook, instead of actually doing work on them, whether it be their own laptop or one of the library computers, taking up a space that someone with actual work could use.

Actually, anyone know how did the absence slips work when they where around? Like how long were you able to leave your place for until someone could take the place?

ha ha ha ha ha ha, there isn't a problem with noise, oh wait, yes there is. People talking aren't a problem, laptop fans are :eek: wtf are you people for real. Get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Do us a favour love! you're clutching at straws here and making it up about the extension being specifically for people with laptops. The reason there are plugs at every table there and not in the old part of the library is because one was built 5 years ago and the other decades ago when laptops weren't ubiquitous. What library in the 21st Century is going to ban Laptops ffs?

Cop on with the condescending tone.

Actually, anyone know how did the absence slips work when they where around? Like how long were you able to leave your place for until someone could take the place?

Was it 30 minutes? Anyway they were useless in my opinion, not effective like they should have been.

Cop on with the condescending tone.

Get lost wannabee moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Get lost wannabee moderator

Ninja edit FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

it was always loud during my time there, some things never change...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Here's my two cents. Overall im very happy they've brought this in. Too many times have i been in there studying for an exam and all i can hear in there for the few hours are peoples "wonderful stories" of the night before and all that crap. These are the sort of people that annoy me in there. Something id also like to see sorted is with people who seem to think there mp3 players are some sort of PA system. Seriously like if i can hear your music from across the room while having my own earphones in then its safe to say they can afford to turn them down. Also those time slips would be useful if they could implement them properly.

On the other hand i have no problem with people who have quick chats with others about whatever they are studying in there. Doesn't make sense for them to have the leave the room every time to quickly talk. As long as they are considerate for others then it should be no problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement