Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boole Library conversationalists

Options
  • 23-02-2011 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭

This goes out to everyone utilising the library who decide to have a gossip with their mates, and in particular to the group on Q+3 this afternoon so engrossed in conversation about the heels that they're gonna wear going out tonite, that when I shushed them they didn't hear me and I had to stand up and tell them quieten down, which they did. So to them and to everyone else tempted to.start nattering when people are working please just go outside or else, just
    shut the fcuk up!

And to those being distracted, don't be shy in telling people to pipe down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

This goes out to everyone utilising the library who decide to have a gossip with their mates, and in particular to the group on Q+3 this afternoon so engrossed in conversation about the heels that they're gonna wear going out tonite, that when I shushed them they didn't hear me and I had to stand up and tell them quieten down, which they did. So to them and to everyone else tempted to.start nattering when people are working please just go outside or else, just
    shut the fcuk up!

I sense your frustration. This bugged me all throughout my time in UCC - to be honest there is no way to prevent it - (on the spot fine would sort it but would be a hugely unpopular measure). Sometimes you just feel like screaming at the tanned tart to shut the fcuk up and just advance to MacDonald's already (wow repressed anger there!).

Your best bet? Switch where you study. Anatomy Dept. is deserted usually and they never ID at least in my time. You just walk in and start studying in one of the classrooms. That or head up to Brookfield, particularly downstairs. They are quite good upstairs about going around and telling people to shut up (the staff) and worried medical students downstairs are very quick to silence people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I'm delighted you told them to shut up. Many people out there complain about people talking in the library but do nothing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭2mature

shut the fcuk up!

LEGEND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Looks like the Boole hasn't changed much. I never could get work much work done there. I always got itchy feet 10 minutes after walking into the place. I just did my work at home and surrounded myself with as many distractions as I wanted without bothering anyone. Good on ya for telling them to keep it down. Do people still turn up to the library during the month off, dump their stuff on a table and disappear for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

shut the fcuk up!

era cheer up and buy some ear plugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Shouldn't have to use earplugs, its a library ffs. Take your conversations outside. I do not want to hear about your social life or anything so mundane when I am trying to get some work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

@ Tommy21 I'm not going anywhere, the Boole has the books i need and for the most part it's ok when it comes to noise.

Had to shush another gaggle of young wans on Q+3 last night, in the past week it's been the same story. Why is it by and large the girls who insist on chit chatting and giggling away?

@JohnMearsheimer, i have pushed stuff aside and taken a spot from people who have been taking the piss when it comes to dumping their stuff and then going on an extended hiatus, i did it after i waited and waited for a spot with a plug for the laptop. All i got was dirty looks when they eventually came back. They knew they were in the wrong.

@big daddy can i'm quite cheerful and listen to soma when i'm typing to block out most of the noise, however when i can hear the giggles and chit chat above that then it's time for me to put on my stare and tell people to whist. One wonders with that kind of suggestion are you one of the Boole conversationalists?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Looks like the Boole hasn't changed much. I never could get work much work done there. I always got itchy feet 10 minutes after walking into the place. I just did my work at home and surrounded myself with as many distractions as I wanted without bothering anyone. Good on ya for telling them to keep it down. Do people still turn up to the library during the month off, dump their stuff on a table and disappear for the day?

Not as widespread now I feel but wait until the study month hits.

He shouldn't have to, it's a library.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

A 20 second Skype call (no headphones either) today in Q+3 reading rooms

Twas funny

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

This was posted on the UCC forums yesterday:
    Unacceptable behaviour has become a serious issue in the Boole library. This is borne out by the results of the Library survey, complaints from students and staff experience. From the 7th of March the Library, in conjunction with the Students Union, will begin a ‘No to Noise’ campaign in order to reclaim the library as a place conducive to study and research.

From Monday the 7th of March

• There will be regular patrols of the Library.

• Any breaches of Library rules will result in Student/Staff Cards being confiscated.

• An on the spot €5 penalty will be applied to Library records.

• Arguments will not be tolerated.

• Any member of Library Staff may enforce Library rules.

• Not producing a UCC ID card will result in removal from the Library.

Full text of Library Regulations may be accessed at: http://booleweb.ucc.ie/documents/Library%20Regulations%20-%202009-2010.pdf

• Advertisement

Same guff most evey year, great for a week then it goes back to normal. How about if you are caught talking or disturbing the peace, you are fined €5 via your library card. Then €10. Third time you are denied library access via your card for a week.

Fourth time you pay double college fees ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

tommy21 wrote: »

Fourth time you pay double college fees ;)

And then sent to C.I.T?

Byron85 wrote: »
    And then sent to C.I.T?

A fate worse than death!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Have to love the irony of them introducing the No to Noise Policy the same day Red Bull are blaring out ****e music right across from the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

deisedude wrote: »
    Have to love the irony of them introducing the No to Noise Policy the same day Red Bull are blaring out ****e music right across from the library.
    Ya, saw that. They didn't even seem to have any free red bull! Could they not have found a better spot for it like!?
    Never liked studying in there. Either it's eerily quiet and I can't concentrate or I can't stop "overhearing" other peoples conversations. Much prefer to study at home or in the BIS labs so I can have a bit of background music. Only make visits to the library when I need a book.

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Ya, saw that. They didn't even seem to have any free red bull! Could they not have found a better spot for it like!?
    Never liked studying in there. Either it's eerily quiet and I can't concentrate or I can't stop "overhearing" other peoples conversations. Much prefer to study at home or in the BIS labs so I can have a bit of background music. Only make visits to the library when I need a book.

Personally i think this problem has been overstated. Behaviour is no worse than it ever has been and since i live in Q+2 this year i think i should know:( Wait until study month, its always a lot worse then!

I commend the Library powers that be for implementing patrols to shut people up. I'd like to see the additional feature of implementing a paper record system similar to UCD where you leave your desk for x amount of time, say 20 mins, and you leave a slip of paper to this effect, but if you're gone over the amount of allotted time then people are free to push your stuff aside and use the spot for themselves. I'm sick of gobshites dumping their stuff for the day but spend more time on coffee and fag breaks then actually in the library.

I ventured onto the other UCC forum there and some peeps seemed to find nothing wrong with having a chat with their mates in the library whilst they're on a 'study break'!! ffs with that kind stupidity you'd want your head examined! equally other people whinging about the kind of abuse staff are going to receive for having the temerity to tell people to shut up. Explains a lot about the self absorbed elements of UCCs undergrad population it has to be said, i look forward to seeing these volunteers telling people to shut up, if they get cheek back from offenders then i'll have no problem of joining in to tell them to cop on.

I commend the Library powers that be for implementing patrols to shut people up. I'd like to see the additional feature of implementing a paper record system similar to UCD where you leave your desk for x amount of time, say 20 mins, and you leave a slip of paper to this effect, but if you're gone over the amount of allotted time then people are free to push your stuff aside and use the spot for themselves. I'm sick of gobshites dumping their stuff for the day but spend more time on coffee and fag breaks then actually in the library.

They tried that before and it didn't work at all (it was a pink slip if i remember correctly). Don't think they have enough staff to fully enforce it

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Ahh this no to noise campaign... Ridiculous, I saw a guy being asked for his student card today as he was drinking coffee. The man point blank refused to give it to him, and to leave the library :D. Fairplay.

If people can't concentrate with a little bit of rustling of papers, how will they get by when they have a job. They won't be granted silence at all.

It is a stupid initative to stop a problem, which to anyone with any sort of intelligence should not be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Cian92 wrote: »
    If people can't concentrate with a little bit of rustling of papers, how will they get by when they have a job. They won't be granted silence at all.

Ah, it's a bit more than the rustling of papers that annoys people. The campaign is to stop people using the library like a place to have a casual chat or haiving their lunch, not trying to come down on anyone who makes any noise at all.

• Advertisement

Cian92 wrote: »
    Ahh this no to noise campaign... Ridiculous, I saw a guy being asked for his student card today as he was drinking coffee. The man point blank refused to give it to him, and to leave the library :D. Fairplay.

It is a stupid initative to stop a problem, which to anyone with any sort of intelligence should not be a problem.

But that's the point - the rustling of papers etc. is normal. What is not normal is people having a laugh with their mates when others are trying to study, Sure you might say its only a 3 minute break from study for them and so is not much of an imposition, but what if 10 other people are doing this, all day. As for coffee, this is something that annoys me. I would like to be able to grab a coffee and sit in the foyer with the (Free :) ) paper there, but I agree it should be banned beyond there (currently banned everywhere). If you have a laptop up on Q1 and someone drops coffee on it, you would not be happy I wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

The campaign is to stop people using the library like a place to have a casual chat or haiving their lunch, not trying to come down on anyone who makes any noise at all.

The library staff seem to be approaching it the wrong way. They were at the entrance taking bottles and cups off people today. I know those items may be prohibited but id rather see them punish the main offenders all year round rather make themselves seem ultra-vigilant for a few weeks. Also, while they were doing such great service to the college by confiscating bottles at the entrance, i could hear from well inside q+2 some knobs talking on the staircase. Get the priorities right ffs.
    Instead of making a big fuss with a campaign, they should just enforce the policy all year round.

I've been in the library all day and it was great to see it noticeably quieter, long may it last!.

I agree with your sentiments though UptheSlashers, if you leave a situation develop where instead of staff telling people from day one to stay quiet, then people are used to things being a certain way in the library - group conversations and people taking the piss generally - then there'd be no need to 'remind' people via this campaign to shut up.

But tbf to the library staff, i imagine their job descriptions involves more then going around telling people to shut up, and that a large dollop of common sense seems to have passed by a segment of UCCs undergrad population. I mean ffs, it's a library, not a cafe, or the student centre or a pub. I've got some dagger looks when shushing people as they chit chat about how cute this guy is or how drunk they were last night, how do these folks not understand it's a library where people go to learn, not to have banter. Stupid kids.

Ridiculous the staff telling people put away bottles of coke. Whatever about keeping quite how is someone drinking a bottle of coke affecting anyone else studying

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

deisedude wrote: »
    Ridiculous the staff telling people put away bottles of coke. Whatever about keeping quite how is someone drinking a bottle of coke affecting anyone else studying

It's a power thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jak O Shadows

Here we go again, I like this rule but not that one. Coffee, soft drinks food etc destroy books if they spill on them. They wreck the carpets and make a huge mess. There is also a lot of electrical plugs running down the middle of the tables. I don't want to be sitting at a desk when a coffee spills. The job of the library is to keep the books safe and to provide a study space for everyone. Including us grumpy people who want a a bit of peace and quiet, who don't want to be electrocuted, who don't want to sit at a space to find the desk sticky with coke mess and who like to do that wierd reading books thing.

Here we go again, I like this rule but not that one. Coffee, soft drinks food etc destroy books if they spill on them. They wreck the carpets and make a huge mess. There is also a lot of electrical plugs running down the middle of the tables. I don't want to be sitting at a desk when a coffee spills. The job of the library is to keep the books safe and to provide a study space for everyone. Including us grumpy people who want a a bit of peace and quiet, who don't want to be electrocuted, who don't want to sit at a space to find the desk sticky with coke mess and who like to do that wierd reading books thing.

+1. Let's not forget also that Boole library users have an unfortunate tendency to leave their crisp bags, sweet wrappers and bottles on the table when they leave for someone else to dispose of, despite the fact there is bins on all floors as these people exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Are people flouting rules about not eating in the library then?

Bottles of water are allowed and could just as easily do all that. Its a stupid rule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Its not the rules I disagree with, its the enforcement. Theyll be strict as fcuk on everything and anything for a few weeks, then well be back to the same old shíte. They should just deal with the major problems all year round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement