Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Must get the update for that tonight.

The update for Gravity came through, controls are less finicky, not perfect but better. And there's a line to show your previous attempt which makes it much more playable, especially trying to get the turtle award on levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Is everyones marketplace working? Can't buy any apps :S

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm just still ****ing amazed their solution to the Omnia 7s not being able to update pre-NoDo is to clear everything off the phone. :confused:

Did you still not get it working?

Send it out to Samsung :) They will put NoDo on for ya and fix your bootloader :)

Did you still not get it working?

Send it out to Samsung :) They will put NoDo on for ya and fix your bootloader :)
    Nope, I'm one of those 10% with the middle gen bootloader so I can't even update the firmware to avoid the problem.

This is the MS solution. :rolleyes:

As for sending it to Samsung, where did you hear that?

• Advertisement

I've seen posts on xda people sending out their phones to Samsung cause of faulty bootloaders.Came back with nodo update but not the final version. Fixed their bootloader anyway.
    Samfirmware.com should be releasing KA1 firmware soon enough with NoDo in it. But not much use if your bootloader faulty :S

I've seen posts on xda people sending out their phones to Samsung cause of faulty bootloaders.Came back with nodo update but not the final version. Fixed their bootloader anyway.
    Samfirmware.com should be releasing KA1 firmware soon enough with NoDo in it. But not much use if your bootloader faulty :S
    Interesting....

I'll wait till NoDo is released and see if the update problem persists. If it does then I'll just bring it back to either Meteor or Samsung to get sorted out.

Apps to try :)

Weather bug - free- Weather with a live tile

Sufcube browser - trial and 2E buy - cool browser :)

CalcPro - Paid - Brillaint calculator with many variations for your full maths needs :)

Does any one know if the LG Optimus and Samsung Omnia have NAND memory or the fixed micro SD?

Does any one know if the LG Optimus and Samsung Omnia have NAND memory or the fixed micro SD?
    Omnia 7 certainly uses NAND memory, not sure about the LG though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

From LG Optimus 7 Disassembly Guide - LG Cell Phones Blog
    The LG Optimus 7 uses 16 GB soldered on HYNIX NAND for storage, and not a SD slot like many of the other manufacturers opted for.

K thanks. Was just wondering since I was reading a review of optimus being faster than Omnia. http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/samsung-omnia-7-vs-lg-optimus-7-comparison-video

Generally quite a long delay on the Omnia's side. Im sure that might seem like a small time for some but when your switching apps or something you would get quite frustrated

Maps App

Bingle Maps 0.9 BETA

This is sort of a Bing maps app :) Which has nearly all the features that bing maps is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The Optimus 7 does NOT use SD. I wondered this myself.

The reason some opted to use SD was not for the sake of user-swappable storage, it was actually because it was cheaper than using NAND.

So while its disappointing that I cant upgrade my phones memory, I'm still thankful that LG went with a better option as far as performance is concerned.

I know that. I just forgot that not all phones used micro sd cards.
    Personally nand memory should be a chassis requirement. Coming out from HD7 to Omnia the app loading times and stability seems higher. As well as battery life being better

http://www.bestwp7games.com/triangula-connect-the-dots-game-for-windows-phone-7.html Triangula - Free (im actually really addicted to this one right now lol)

http://www.bestwp7games.com/bowling-xx-review.html Bowling XX - 1.99

http://www.bestwp7games.com/pixelman-review.html Pixel Man - Free/Paid

Also look up Quick Fingers :) Damn game impossible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭clancyoo7

Hi All
    been following the thread and decided to get the omnia 7 and it arrived today. very impressed with it. I was wondering about that bingle maps. Does your phone have to be unlocked i would hate to brick the phone on the first day:).
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Hey bingle maps are only released on XDA for now.

You cant Brick your phone with Chewron Unlock. Didn't hear of it anyway. It just opens up a way to install apps without having to use Zune or the Marketplace.

I presume once Bingle Maps come out of beta he will buy a developers license and post it on the Marketplace to rake in some more money for his work. Its still a bit choppy at times and all. But a very good application.

You could wait a while if you dont want to unlock your phone.TA Maps meant to be update to 2.2 soon. That will include navigation and a trial so you can try it out before you buy. From the thread on XDA the functions list is pretty good.

You can only brick your phone when your really modifying the core of the system, which you don't do with chewron. In most cases everything goes well if the right compatibility is used and no interruption happen during the process. But thats not a problem on WP7. So far because only the HD2 has full access to the bootloader and the file system

Btw it got an update to 0.9.2 today :)http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=12138378#post12138378

Haha the marketplace background is shamrock today :)

Found this website http://www.gelaskins.com/store/skins/phones/Samsung_Omnia_7/pg/2

It makes custom skins for phones :) though id try it out :) lets you make your own cover or just choose from the ones available ;) for some reason i wanted to make one with xbox branding :) so i did :) see how it goes now :D

Also xbox live games that are coming in april :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2B0cBwhxHI&feature=player_embedded not anything hardcore there :) im sure pro evolution soccer is coming soon enough which is more like a downscaled full 3D mobile version of the console version :)

I'm looking forward to Angry Birds. If what I hear about it is true it'll be worth a purchase! :D

Eh. I had it on android. Was fun for a while then i felt it got too repetitive :)

• Advertisement

Games like that generally are, unfortunately. Still willing to give it a go though. :)

I probably will get it in the end :) im far more addicted now to Bejewel Live and Triangular :) Its some effort to get to level 7 in Bejeweled Live in action mode :D just for that achievement

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=999475

If your willing to find fiddle a bit to get instant resume :)
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\TaskHost\DehydrateOnPause

Set it to 0 to disable dehydration. (Defaults to 3)
    You don't even have to restart, just load up an application and lock the device to see the results. Cool, huh?

Just enabled it so ill see how it affects battery life. So far apps can resume instantly. Which is handy for me in twitter and other news cause i can go from twitter to browser and back quickly

EDIT: Went back to Original Value. Cost of having instant resume drains battery like hell :D Even with no apps running in the background like press back instead of home button.

Game: Codex Puzzle - Have to say one of the most impressive well made puzzle games out there that i played. And with an awesome sound track i might add :D Its .99c with a trial. Its defo worth it and really one of the best made games out there that deserves an xbox title.

Pro Evolution Soccer: Theres a preview of pro evolution soccer that ive talked about before :)http://www.bestwp7games.com/pro-evolution-soccer-2011-wp7-gameplay-video.html

Update is coming. Some HTC phones are recieving it already. Ofcourse carrier free versions.
    Copy & paste. You asked for it—now it's here. Just tap a word and drag the arrows to copy and paste it on your phone. You can copy text from emails, text messages, web pages, and Office Mobile documents, and paste it anywhere you can type. To learn more, see Copy & paste.

Faster apps and games. Nobody likes to wait. That's why we've whittled down the time it takes for apps and games to start up and resume. It's all part of our focus on getting you to the things you love, easier and faster.

Better Marketplace search. We've streamlined Marketplace search to make it easier to find specific apps, games, or music. Press the Search button in the Apps or Games section of Marketplace and you'll see only apps or games in the results. Press Search in the Music section of Marketplace to search just the music catalog.

Other Marketplace improvements. We've improved the stability of Marketplace while you download apps. We've also improved the experience of downloading apps larger than 20 megabytes, upgrading from trial apps to paid apps, using a credit card with an address outside the United States, sharing links to apps via email, sorting Xbox LIVE games by release date, and creating an Xbox LIVE account from within the Games Hub.

Wi-Fi improvements. We now display your phone's Media Access Control (MAC) address in Settings. (You might need this info if you try to connect to a Wi-Fi network that uses MAC address filtering. To learn more, see Connect to a Wi-Fi network.) We've also removed the limit on the number of Wi-Fi profiles that you can store and reduced the time it takes to start your phone if you've stored lots of Wi-Fi profiles.

Outlook improvements. We've improved the experience of viewing iPhone photo attachments you receive from a non-Exchange-based email account (such as a Google Mail, Hotmail, or Yahoo! Mail account), using the Global Address List (GAL) when connecting to Exchange Server 2003 using Exchange ActiveSync, and working with email display names that contain brackets (for example, "David Alexander [Contoso]").

Messaging improvements. We've improved the experience of receiving Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS) messages if your phone uses a PIN-locked SIM.

Facebook integration. We've improved the experience of syncing Facebook accounts.

Camera improvements. We've improved the stability of switching between camera and video modes.

Audio improvements. We've improved the experience of using a Bluetooth headset to make calls when you're playing music or videos.

Other performance improvements. This month's update also includes software from several phone manufacturers that improves the performance of specific models. Naturally, if you don't have one of the affected models, we won't install this portion of the update on your phone.

Ugh, so I finally swallowed my pride and decided to do whatever was necessary to install the pre-NoDo update.

Deleted my music. No joy.
    Deleted my videos. No joy.
    Erased all content on device (doesn't include apps). No joy.

Then before starting to uninstall my apps I decided to reboot the device and try once more with the media content gone. Bingo it worked.

Now, if this **** happens again with NoDo, the phone is going back to get the latest FW, simple as.:o

Haha deleted music videos and some content is a low price to pay.

I probably wouldnt mind reflashing it. But its just the fact that i dont want to love my saved games :D it sucks when you have to replay them. And when you do you loose interest in the rest of the games :D

Oh well thank **** i flashed it before i started using it properly :D

It's the principle of the issue though, I shouldn't have to delete all my media just so the update will work. Of course I should be able to upgrade the firmware in my phone too but that's a different argument with a different company. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Hopefully everyone will get NoDo soon now. I only got the pre-NoDo update a few days ago, and I dont plan on waiting another month for NoDo to actually get to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Just got myself an Omnia 7 today! I had an iPhone for the past month but I'm sending it back for repair. I'll be testing the Omnia 7 for the next 2 weeks until i get the iphone back and i'll see which one i'll be keeping.

Love the screen on the Omnia but the bloody search button is wrecking my head!

• Advertisement

Boxfresh wrote: »
    Just got myself an Omnia 7 today! I had an iPhone for the past month but I'm sending it back for repair. I'll be testing the Omnia 7 for the next 2 weeks until i get the iphone back and i'll see which one i'll be keeping.

Love the screen on the Omnia but the bloody search button is wrecking my head!

Ha you will learn not to touch it eventually. Kinda sucks only LG is the only OEM with hardware buttons. Its easier to press them but once in a while you keep on pressing it. Some people on HTC phones deleted the actual file for search therefore disabling the button.

Cant do that on Samsung cause file explorer doesnt work here yet :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement