Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pixies or The Smiths?

Options
  • 22-03-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭

These past few days I've been having this mental battle with myself over who my definite definite favourite Alt/Indie band is from an extensive list including many great bands from over multiple decades and I managed to wiggle it down to two. And these were the Pixies and The Smiths. Now I've already made my mind up on this one, I'm not going to say who it is but I'm sure I'm okay with my choice.

But I want to see what the outcome would be if I asked the fine folks of the Alt&Indie forum to share their opinion and who is the favourite of the two. Not that it'll effect me if the majority of you chose the the opposite option to mine.

So, the Pixies or The Smiths? Discuss.

Which do you prefer? 125 votes

The Pixies
    0% 0 votes
    The Smiths
    100% 125 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Nailz wrote: »
    definite definite favourite Alt/Indie band
    So, the Pixies or The Smiths? Discuss.

Neither. It has to be:

or:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Pixies for me. Never got into the Smith's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The Smiths, but only just. Johnny Marrs guitar playing swings it for me, although I prefer Frank Black as a vocalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I wasn't asking for other people's favourite Alt/Indie band, just to choose between the two. Your input is valued never the less.

Can a mod a poll to this please, Internet conveniently ****ed up while setting one up, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Poll added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

As someone who remembers when these two bands were new, I'm gonna go with The Pixies.

Not really comparable but probably the two most influential bands of the 80s.
    The Pixies will always sound fresh, though. The Smiths sound like the 80s to me. Not neccesarily a bad thing, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

Both great but the smiths are one of the definitive bands of all time never mind in the alt/indie genre...imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I reckon Pixies... More interesting stuff for me. But for individual musicians that stick out, it's hard to beat Johnny Marr. Morrissey's a bit of a dealbreaker for me.
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Not really comparable but probably the two most influential bands of the 80s.

Not to go too far off-topic, but do Talking Heads not count? Way more notable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

My brain says The Smiths but my heart says The Pixies so i guess it has to be The Pixies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Pixies. I like The Smiths as well, but I don't really listen to them anymore, where as I can still listen to The Pixies as if they were new. They probably just had a bigger influence on me as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Nailz wrote: »
    I wasn't asking for other people's favourite Alt/Indie band, just to choose between the two. Your input is valued never the less.

Can a mod a poll to this please, Internet conveniently ****ed up while setting one up, thank you.

But you hold those bands up as the 2 definite alternative acts which I couldn't agree with. I enjoy both the bands you mentioned to varying degrees but in terms of overall influence I reckon it's going to be the Velvet Underground or the Fall. If I'm going to pick one from those two acts in terms of the influence they had I'd go with probably the Pixies. The Pixies' quiet loud dynamic begat Nirvana which begat a raft of bad copyists... hmm, actually that's not a great legacy.

And the Smiths? The Smiths begat... Belle and Sebestian and ...?

Actually more confused now...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

Got to be the Pixies for me. Two seminal bands but i like the variation of styles the Pixies incorporated. I also like the fact that it was angry music but not melancholy.
    Both bands had great senses of style, humour and originality but the Pixies were more relevant to me than the smiths.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

well, if we're ruling out the velvet and looking at the smiths and the pixies, it'll have to be the pixies.

I'm a fan of both, but there's more pixies songs etched in my brain than the smiths'

Monkey gone to Heaven runs in my blood. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The Smiths, but only by a tiny margin. Both bands were highly original, but The Smiths moreso I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

Has to be Pixies for me. Can still remember my first time listening to Doolittle and being blown away

Love the Smiths too though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Pixies. I know their whole back catalogue and listened obsessively for a good while and was very influenced by Joey Santiago's guitar playing.

The Smiths I love but don't know if I've listened to an album fully outside of the greatest hits and various songs. Johnny Marr's guitar work is amazing to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I don't want to choose, I like them both. :rolleyes:

Feckit, the smiths.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Listened to both incessantly as a teenager and probably liked them equally back then, but for me the Pixies have stood the test of time far better, I still listen to the Pixies all the time, it's more a now and again thing with the Smiths although I still like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

The pixies have stood the test of time imo and their music doesnt sound outdated.I'll always throw on a bit of The Smiths now and then though so I'll have to go for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭cinnamon girl

I was 14 when the Smiths' first album came out and I was the hugest Smiths fan at the time...worshipped them in the way that only a teenage girl can do :o and I liked the Pixies too later on, but not in the same way.

But in my middle age :( I prefer the Pixies. Although I still do like the Smiths, they just don't hold that same meaning for me anymore.

I admit that this may have to do with my increasing dislike for Morrissey as a person, as well as never having liked his solo works. Then again I didn't like Frank Black's either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

There's very little between them but if I had to choose I'd say The Smiths.

Morrissey is a bit better as a lyricist and Marr is just a phenomenal musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Pixies, for sure. Loud-quiet-loud aside, they have such an amazing and diverse catalogue. Their albums, b-sides, live stuff are all top-notch.

I discovered them as a teen and thought I was the only person in the world who had heard them. A few years they reformed and suddenly were the hottest band on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Pixies.. no contest (for me anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Both, but the smiths if I had to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

It was really, really, REALLY difficult to choose between the two but in the end I chose The Smiths. I find myself listening to The Smiths more than the Pixies nowdays, their music has a deeper and more melancholic feel to it than the Pixies and that's something I really look for in music recently. I feel like I can relate to The Smiths a bit more than the Pixies nowdays. I still love the Pixies and always will, they were my gateway to the american indie/alternative rock scene of the late 80's/early-90's and I thank them for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

The smiths for me, they looked cooler for a start. The had the greatest guitarist and Frontman duo ever and Just for This Charming Man alone they are one of my top bands ever. The Pixies were great no doubt. But they only had two great albums while the Smiths never released a dud record.

Two great bandsof the 80's left of this list were The go betweens and The Stone roses (that was a album that changed things)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mr.Whippie

gotta be pixies for me, I dont know love the smiths but pixies always fill me with child like excitement everytime they come on where as smiths remind me of teenage bad days...its raining and your current has'nt rang and dad wants you to clean your room but your lazy and spotted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Thinking about this more now I think the Smiths were more gifted musically but I think the Pixies make me feel happier. The Smiths are probably the most miserable band in history.

You just have to look at the titles of the songs and listen to the lyrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

flyswatter wrote: »
    Thinking about this more now I think the Smiths were more gifted musically but I think the Pixies make me feel happier. The Smiths are probably the most miserable band in history.

I wouldn't say that they're the most miserable band in history, I've listened to far more miserable bands, but they can be very miserable at times. They can also be quite humorous and witty though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

flyswatter wrote: »

Yeah but its a combination of dark lyrics and very poppy upbeat melodies, thats why I love The Smiths.

"Girlfriend In A Coma" - I take your point about the song titles/lyrics being quite depressing but that song just makes me wanna get up and dance! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement