Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pixies or The Smiths?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's an odd comparison to make, even if they are amongst your favourites. Unlike the Blur vs Oasis, Nirvan or Pearl Jam type debates these bands tick distinctly different boxes and weren't really part of the same movement so to speak.

The Pixies are sort of anarchic and off kilter, often high intensity (primarily from Frank Black's vocals) but with elements of surf and country colouring many songs. The Smiths are an altogether different prospect, with Johnny Marr's guitars and Morrissey's world veiw heavily prominent on every song. Even in their similarities they are different; Frank Black's sense of humour is silly and rude whereas Morrissey's is dry and world-weary.

For me, it would have to be the Pixie's whose first three albums I love. I never really got into The Smiths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Oh yeah, I do accept that there is a lot of humour, charm and wit in The Smiths music.

When you think about it though, Joy Division/New Order were a miserable band but they still had a lot of beautiful music and the recent New Order stuff from as early as the 80's through the 00's is very uplifting stuff, a lot of it, even though it still has the melancholy present.

There's definitely something miserable about how Manchester was. It used to be a cold, industrial place. I think that's one of the reasons the music is so depressing.

When bands like The Stone Roses and Happy Mondays came along and the happier New Order Stuff and all the acid house music it was a much more cultured place. It really showed in the music, it's way more hopeful and optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Tough choice for sure but it has to be Pixies for me.

Poll is 50/50!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I went for The Smiths but it was a mental coin-flip really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Hard call, I don't like Morrissey post-Smiths and having seen the Pixies performing live last year, so cold and business-like, both bands are a little spoilt for me.

I think I'll go for The Smiths, if only for "The Queen is Dead" which I think is the best album released between the two bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Yeah but its a combination of dark lyrics and very poppy upbeat melodies, thats why I love The Smiths.

"Girlfriend In A Coma" - I take your point about the song titles/lyrics being quite depressing but that song just makes me wanna get up and dance! :)

The lyrics of Girlfriend in a coma aren't depressing (apologies if that's not what's implied). It's wry and tongue in cheek IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The lyrics of Girlfriend in a coma aren't depressing (apologies if that's not what's implied). It's wry and tongue in cheek IMO.

No I was just commenting on the song title. The lyrics of I Know Its Over would be a better example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

HARD QUESTION... Brain hurts trying to decide... Don't like this choice

I love them both, but marginally (and very marginally) I think The Smiths just win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

At this point I would like to pay homage to Andy Rourke. Probably didn't have to much creative input as a whole in the smiths, but man...those are some of the most well executed, diciplined and educated bass lines I have ever heard, the man is unbelievable.....

As for the pixies...there was magic in that band that (as with the smiths) that no individual member could recreate. Frank has a unique ability to throw a few chords together and make them sound new and brilliant, throw in Joeys leads and something very special happens.. on the other side then you have kims wonderfully laid back, stoneresque bass lines combined with loverings powerhouse beats and there you go...
    Saw a pixies movie recently on skyarts....very weird...Kim was herself the comedian, frank was great, David was made out to be a complete pill addict bum who was absolutely depending on the pixies reunion to get a few quid (although he was at all times in a lovable happy person) and joey came accross as very grumpy and hated every minute of being away from home...strange documentary.

If you are on Twitter start following Johhny marr....he's funny!

No I was just commenting on the song title. The lyrics of I Know Its Over would be a better example.

Ah right.
    True about "I know it's over". It's so beautiful though.

• Advertisement

At this point I would like to pay homage to Andy Rourke. Probably didn't have to much creative input as a whole in the smiths, but man...those are some of the most well executed, diciplined and educated bass lines I have ever heard, the man is unbelievable.....

As for the pixies...there was magic in that band that (as with the smiths) that no individual member could recreate. Frank has a unique ability to throw a few chords together and make them sound new and brilliant, throw in Joeys leads and something very special happens.. on the other side then you have kims wonderfully laid back, stoneresque bass lines combined with loverings powerhouse beats and there you go...
    Saw a pixies movie recently on skyarts....very weird...Kim was herself the comedian, frank was great, David was made out to be a complete pill addict bum who was absolutely depending on the pixies reunion to get a few quid (although he was at all times in a lovable happy person) and joey came accross as very grumpy and hated every minute of being away from home...strange documentary.

These are two bands you could just wax lyrical all day about.
    As you say, Santiago's meandering, otherworldly guitar, the contrast between Deal's sweet and Black's harsher vocals, Deal's assured bass, the ever-so-weird, what-is-he-on-about lyrics- just the way the whole thing comes together in this visceral way. Just talking about it, you can feel it.

In some sense one similarity, apart from being influential and iconic bands, is how well both bands worked as a group. Like the above, the marriage of Marr's guitar and Morrissey's voice is sublime and unique, something i sometimes miss on Morrissey's solo work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭maccored

pixies. cant see how thats a hard choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 runcowboy

the Pixies for me but still love the Smiths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Difficult one for me. Both excellent bands of the caustic 80s fringe, both stellar songmakers and both have a loyal following.

Prob Frank's mob as Morrissey's later naive flirtations with the far right kinda put me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

My head says the Smiths but my heart is feeling the Pixies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Tough choice for sure but it has to be Pixies for me.

Poll is 50/50!

Not anymore :P

I always found the Pixies quite one dimensional, the Smiths were far more interesting and musically I think Marr is head & shoulders above anyone in the Pixies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just started following him, brilliant! Love that manc humour.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

It's like asking what you like better, chocolate or ice-cream...I want both dammit! Someone threatened to pull out my fingernails I'd probably go for the Smiths...I listen to them more and love their lyrics and find them incredibly uplifting (oddly). Songs like 'The Bomb', 'Shelia Take a Bow' just make you want to jump around singing. Objectively I think the Pixies are probably better, I adore them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I never really liked the Smiths. I've just never gotten the big deal with them. Like I understand why people like them....but they just don't do anything for me.

Also, Pixies have Kim Deal. Anything with Kim Deal will get my vote ahead of a non-Kim Deal option! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

It impossible to choose. They are the two best Indie bands ever. Both had fairly similar runs. Release an album a year for 4/5 years and then split up which is the best way for a band to go imo. The Smiths did have one weak album in Meat is Murder which I don't think think the Pixies had so the Pixies might be slightly ahead. If I was old enough to remember either band when they active I would have definitely prefered the Smiths. They were a better Singles band and worked better a a Pop group with their image, interviews etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

the smiths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Anywhoodle

Vote for the Pixies from me.. Never liked The Smiths to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

agonising choice but went with the pixies, simply because of the fond memories i have listening to them as a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Has anyone been able to able to turn a friend onto the Smiths in later life, it seems impossible unless the person discovered them during their teenage years.

My g/f likes "Stop me" and nothing else, she says they're too mopy, my counter-argument is "well, so was I when I first came across them" and few bands encapsulated that better for me.

The Pixies are probably more universal, but less personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Like both but the fact that a mate was in a car crash and ended up in a tree just as "where is my mind???" started on the cd player swings it for me. No-one was hurt btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Like both but the fact that a mate was in a car crash and ended up in a tree just as "where is my mind???" started on the cd player swings it for me.
    Which way?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Wow, sounds like I missed out so in terms of the Pixies, never listened to them aside from whatever singles I may heard along the way - I'll have to investigate now.

I was big into The Smiths and personally don't think they had one bad album, surprised to read the comment about Meat is Murder above. If I was trying to compare two bands that meant a lot to me in my teens, it would be The Smiths and The Cure but The Smiths would probably be the choice based on not having one bad album, which I can't say for The Cure - but The Cure did have 'Seventeen Seconds' which I listen to more often to this day than any Smiths material and would consider it in my all-time favourite albums.

I feel I missed a lot in terms of alternative etc after I became a 'raver :pac:' in my late teens - now many years later I'm catching up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sugarplumkin

Both are good but pixies remind me of teen years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭wayfarers

Surprises at the amount of support for the Pixies considering how revered Morrissey and Marr are. Dunno how the Velvet Underground found their way onto this thread but as its open season I'm throwing Wire into the ring. Listen to their "I Am the Fly" or "Underground Miner" full blast on your headphones and you'll feel like taking on the world afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Really like The Pixies. The Smiths by a long chalk, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement