Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pixies or The Smiths?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭part time punk

Haven’t voted as this is impossible …. like having to choose a favourite parent or favourite child. So for what it’s worth
    Lyrics: Consistently clever, witty, brilliant Smiths lyrics (e.g. ‘16 lonely and shy, I went to London and I booked myself into the YWCA’) vs. often great and nonsensical but brilliantly evocative imagery of the Pixies (‘slicing up eyeballs …’) (Smiths win)
    Best album: The Queen is Dead vs. Doolittle (Tied)
    Album artwork: Classic simple images of often forgotten stars that all follow a certain line for the Smiths vs. Slightly random sometimes modern art style Pixies covers (Smiths win)
    Influences: For the Smiths harder to discern, possibly more literature than music such as the obvious line like “Keats and Yeats were on your side, while Wilde was on mine” vs. The Pixies range of artists (Picasso), music (Husker Du & Hendrix) & movies (Eraserhead) (Pixies win)
    Influenced: According to Wikipedia the Smiths influenced both good (Stone Roses) and bad (Oasis, Cranberries) but Pixies influenced just good (Pavement, Radiohead, Nirvana, David Bowie) (Pixies win)

General mood and appeal: Amongst my friends and alt-indie people in general I think everyone likes the Pixies but there’s often people that for whatever reason just never got into the Smiths. Think at a party you could put on a Pixies album and it would stay on till it was finished but the Smiths could be changed if you left the room (Pixies win)

Music & sound: hard to argue with the now famous quite loud quiet magic of the Pixies but something about the up-beat jangly guitar sound of the Smiths that I’ve always loved (Another tie)
    Decision to reform: My initial excitement at Pixies reforming and seeing them both at Phoenix park and Landsdowne road has been lessened by the lack of new material and realisation that it’s all for the cash. Greatly respect the Smiths decisions not to reform despite all the cash offered. Extra ironic marks for the reissue of their singles in vinyl with a tacky badge a la lyrics of Paint a vulgar picture (Smiths win)

Ok so this results in a dead heat with Kim Deal swinging it in the Pixies favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭wurzlitzer

like them both equally...well love
    but I was exposed to the smiths first so they get my vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

[

Influenced: According to Wikipedia the Smiths influenced both good (Stone Roses) and bad (Oasis, Cranberries) but Pixies influenced just good (Pavement, Radiohead, Nirvana, David Bowie) (Pixies win)

How exactly did the Pixies influence someone who was making records 20+ years before them?

I also think the Smiths have influenced a lot more than just the stone roses, Suede, Blur & most Brit Pop stuff stems from the Jangley Marr guitar, I would think Oasis influence is more of them being from the same city as opposed to musically because I don't hear any smiths stuff in there.

I would also say the Smiths were more original, the Pixies were very reminiscent of some of the earlier US punk scene, Husker Du, Dead Kennedys were clearly very influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Kingdom Bhoy

Got to be the Smiths for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

endabob1 wrote: »
    How exactly did the Pixies influence someone who was making records 20+ years before them?

Not sure if the Pixies influenced any of Bowie's later works, but he has played Pixies covers on stage quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Not sure if the Pixies influenced any of Bowie's later works, but he has played Pixies covers on stage quite a bit.

My point being that he hasn't made a decent album since the 80's so if they have influenced him since I certainly wouldn't have it in the "good" column :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I would also say the Smiths were more original, the Pixies were very reminiscent of some of the earlier US punk scene, Husker Du, Dead Kennedys were clearly very influential.

I wouldn't say 'very' reminiscent. They certainly took some inspiration from the Du but in no way can you say the two bands are similar sounding besides the odd song or two.

HD played gruff punk pop songs that adhered to the usual verse/ chorus stuff with a guitar solo thrown in. Pixies on the other hand were much more unconventional with their constant screaming, lack of guitar solos (can recall off hand maybe four or five songs with a proper guitar solo), strange progressions (see All Over The World), and odd lyrical matter. They even dismissed traditional song structures on the likes of Velouria.

Can certainly acknowledge that Pixies took some influence from HD's penchant for mixing pop with an abrasive punk sound but it was mixed with a plethora of other influences ranging from surf rock, glam rock, proto punk to the likes of Beefheart / Pere Ubu's avante-garde, rock n roll and country music. So yeah, I can see a small bit of the Du in Pixies but their songs incorporated much more than the punk pop sound.

(I don't mean to sound overly dismissive of Husker Du; they're one of my top three favourite acts of all-time. :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

The Smiths.

Morrissey's lyrics are still by far the greatest I've ever heard and am able to relate to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Decision to reform: My initial excitement at Pixies reforming and seeing them both at Phoenix park and Landsdowne road has been lessened by the lack of new material and realisation that it’s all for the cash. Greatly respect the Smiths decisions not to reform despite all the cash offered.

Cut the romantic nonsense. The Pixies reformed to make cash and why not? The band are hardly making millions as solo musicians. It's their livelihoods afterall. They need to make a living. Do you think the drummer is going to say no to a reunion because it would taint the memory of The Pixies and continue eating beans on toast from the money he makes a magician?

The Smiths would reform in the morning if Morrissey and Marr agreed to it but why should they? Both have been successes post The Smiths and are presumably pretty well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Smiths made more interesting and complex music but the Pixies had a heavier more energetic sound plus they didn't have Morissey, all plus points. However I'm going to go with neither as I think both bands are overrated. However if I had to choose I would go with the Pixies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

both of them are great bands, but i have to go with the Pixies, since they were one of the bands that opened a new door to the world of music that would change my life in my early teens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wouldn't say 'very' reminiscent. They certainly took some inspiration from the Du but in no way can you say the two bands are similar sounding besides the odd song or two.

HD played gruff punk pop songs that adhered to the usual verse/ chorus stuff with a guitar solo thrown in. Pixies on the other hand were much more unconventional with their constant screaming, lack of guitar solos (can recall off hand maybe four or five songs with a proper guitar solo), strange progressions (see All Over The World), and odd lyrical matter. They even dismissed traditional song structures on the likes of Velouria.

Can certainly acknowledge that Pixies took some influence from HD's penchant for mixing pop with an abrasive punk sound but it was mixed with a plethora of other influences ranging from surf rock, glam rock, proto punk to the likes of Beefheart / Pere Ubu's avante-garde, rock n roll and country music. So yeah, I can see a small bit of the Du in Pixies but their songs incorporated much more than the punk pop sound.

(I don't mean to sound overly dismissive of Husker Du; they're one of my top three favourite acts of all-time. :D)
    Frank Black himself seems highly influenced by the du...it's the magic of the other members that made the pixies different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Where is my Mind alone is better than all the smiths songs combined!

I also think the Smiths have influenced a lot more than just the stone roses, Suede, Blur & most Brit Pop stuff stems from the Jangley Marr guitar, I would think Oasis influence is more of them being from the same city as opposed to musically because I don't hear any smiths stuff in there.

I did say according to Wikipedia and am not a particularly big Bowie fan but in the general scheme of things he falls on the good side :) and I think Noel Gallagher has said before that Johnny Marr was a big influence. I think my general point was that Pixies have been more influential by influencing bands that have themselves also been influential e.g. Nirvana and Pavement. If most Brit pop was influenced by the Smiths that further seals it in the Pixies favour! Agree that Husker Du had some influence on the Pixies

Cut the romantic nonsense. The Pixies reformed to make cash and why not? The band are hardly making millions as solo musicians. It's their livelihoods afterall. They need to make a living. Do you think the drummer is going to say no to a reunion because it would taint the memory of The Pixies and continue eating beans on toast from the money he makes a magician?

The Smiths would reform in the morning if Morrissey and Marr agreed to it but why should they? Both have been successes post The Smiths and are presumably pretty well off.

I've no problem with them making some cash, but I think they reformed in 2004 and have toured a lot since then but have only released one new song. Just think it would be nice having been together again a while now for them either to record a new album or else stop milking the cash cow of the live circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

No real harm in it tbh, they're playing to new sets of fans for each year that they tour. Think BF is using it to help his solo career too; I count at least eight albums that he's made since the reunion began.

Think Kim Deal is the main reason for the lack of output - she doesn't want them tarnishing their legacy or some rubbish. Shame because Lovering' and Santiago's recent side-project The Everybody contained some glorious surf rock while BF is still producing the goods.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Morrissey & Marr (not to forget rourke and joyce)!! wickedly funny lyrics at times and guitar hooks that will stick with for a lifetime. It wont happen, but if they ever did get together, just once for one gig I believe it would be the greatest thing ever.

Though personally never mad on the pixies and was bored silly by them when I saw them a few years ago. Theyre on a list of must give another chance bands as I prepare to overhaul what is on the mp3 player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Pixies, simply because I can't stand Morrissey's voice.

R.E.M. trumps both though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 eroticvultcha

Weepsie wrote: »
    Theyre on a list of must give another chance bands as I prepare to overhaul what is on the mp3 player.

Try not to judge 'em based on their reunion performances. They (especially Frank, not so much Kim) lost a lot what made them special in the 80s with age: a giddy, ferocious sort of energy to the music. Look up any old performances of 'Levitate Me' or 'Caribou' - in fact, the entire Brixton Academy and Town & Country Club gigs are absolute classics.

Ramble summarised: check out the 80s Pixies; not the band trying to emulate the 80s Pixies, before making up your mind for sure. Failing that, The Breeders are still fantastic and Frank Black and the Catholics put out some great stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Failing that, The Breeders are still fantastic and Frank Black and the Catholics put out some great stuff too.

I find the Deal sisters between songs patter bores me whenever I see The Breeders live these days. So much so that I've just stopped going to see them play any more.

Pixies in Landsowne Road weren't great but their performance in the Olympia on the Doolittle tour was fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I love them both but I much prefer the Smiths. Johnny Marr's guitar and Morrissey's lyrics set them apart. For me, their material has to be some of the most meaningful music ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

the smiths 10
    thw pixies 9.9

my two favorite band ever ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Gotta be The Smiths!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Paint a vulgar picture..
    The news about Amy Winehouse brought it to mind...RIP. Amazing song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 titu90

That's a tough one, but I think the Smiths narrowly win for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Pixies for me, greater than the sum of its parts. I love The smiths too though, Johnny Marr is amazing as is Moz of course..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Pixies for sure..I like some smiths songs but they are just too samey if you know what I mean...each pixies album is completely different..they experimented more and I could still listen to a pixies album like it was only released yesturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Pixies. I used to hate The Smiths in my teen years then (oddly) got into them when I was 21. I love both, but I think the Pixies really steered me towards all the music I listened to in my teens (a lot of it I still listen to). After Nirvana, I was listening to Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, all that stuff. Pixies turned me on to Yo La Tengo, Pavement, all that sort of stuff.

There's some stuff from my teens that I just can't listen to anymore, but I still love the Pixies. The albums all still sound as if they were recorded yesterday, and the dynamic between the band is amazing. The different parts played on Hey for example are just amazing (in my opinion). And a hell of a lot of Frank Black's solo career and all of Kim's are brilliant. Morrissey has some decent solo albums, but a lot of what he's putting out seems quite tired now. Marr I haven't heard anything of since The Seahorses (thank god).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Marr I haven't heard anything of since The Seahorses (thank god).

You're thinking of John Squire there.

Johnny Marr has played with a few bands since The Smiths - Electronic, Modest Mouse and The Cribs - but not The Seahorses (thank god!).

• Advertisement

The Seahorses - wow haven't thought about them in a long long time. Whatever happended to them? Was it just record one rubbish album, tour and then disappear without trace?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement