Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could a Tsunami hit our coast, one day?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    Remember seeing something about this on National Geographic. Basically Cork would be destroyed. And much of the rest of the South would be severally damaged.
    I think he means would anything bad happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I think he means would anything bad happen.

I know this is AH, but there is no excuse for that remark - unless if bertie ahern, brian cowen and seanie fitzpatrick were based in cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There's always the threat of a Tsunami. Does this country have any plan in place for this eventuality?

Are you kidding?
    Look back a year or two to see how well planned we are for just lower, less lethal land floods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Should have built a Bertie Barrier whilst we had the money.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

dj jarvis wrote: »
    the canary island is the most likely source if a tsunami is 2 hit ireland
    its a huge mountain with massive cracks in it and they are saying its when and not if it will slide into the Atlantic ,
    as it happens it is facing the south coast of ireland
    talk of 40 meter waves resulting from this mountain slide
    and by all accounts it would be bye bye cork waterford wexford and bristol and other south coast British towns

REMEMBER KIDS THIS IS FOR REAL , Check it out on line
    its not if but when :eek:

radical - ill be waxing my surfboard today,its all about the waves dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Which coast? I think the east coast is pretty safe. North, west and south coast would be pretty f*cked if something happened in the Atlantic.

Oh isn't it great being in Dublin.

No wonder everyone outside Dublin hates us.

We'll be the only survivors post-tsunami.

Might win the All-Ireland. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

dj jarvis wrote: »
    the canary island is the most likely source if a tsunami is 2 hit ireland
    its a huge mountain with massive cracks in it and they are saying its when and not if it will slide into the Atlantic ,
    as it happens it is facing the south coast of ireland
    talk of 40 meter waves resulting from this mountain slide
    and by all accounts it would be bye bye cork waterford wexford and bristol and other south coast British towns

REMEMBER KIDS THIS IS FOR REAL , Check it out on line
    its not if but when :eek:

that has been debunked mate, i cant remember the video that showed it but but heres a link that does the job anyways

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storegga_Slide
    The three Storegga Slides are considered to be amongst the largest known landslides. They occurred under water, at the edge of Norway's continental shelf (Storegga is Norwegian for the "Great Edge"), in the Norwegian Sea, 100 km north-west of the Møre coast, causing a very large tsunami in the North Atlantic Ocean. This collapse involved an estimated 290 km length of coastal shelf, with a total volume of 3,500 km3 of debris.[1] Based on carbon dating of plant material recovered from sediment deposited by the tsunami, the latest incident occurred around 6100 BC.[2] In Scotland, traces of the subsequent tsunami have been recorded, with deposited sediment being discovered in Montrose Basin, the Firth of Forth, up to 80 km inland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Bergen_Island
    map of north sea around that time - things have changed slightly
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7e/Doggerland.svg/300px-Doggerland.svg.png

Altantic ocean tsunami
    http://geology.com/noaa/atlantic-ocean-tsunami/

:(

We need to lobby our government to put a plan in place for a tsunami. I know a tsunami here would be rare but it would be very possible all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Only chance is the Canary Islands volcano and I'd say its not likely to happen in our lifetime. But incase it does, I'll be up the Killarney Mountains if happens so all's gravy baby.

Yakult wrote: »
    Only chance is the Canary Islands volcano and I'd say its not likely to happen in our lifetime. But incase it does, I'll be up the Killarney Mountains if happens so all's gravy baby.

It probably won't happen in our lifetime but we can't be ignorant and dismiss this information all the same. Look at where ignorance got us. Our ex government were ignorant of warnings of a property bubble, probably hoping for a soft landing. They were ignorant handling the bust, probably hoping that the recession would lift quickly. Now we are economically fcuked and on the brink of a default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Does this country have any plan in place for this eventuality?
    Does this country have any plan for ANYTHING?

Nolanger wrote: »
    Does this country have any plan for ANYTHING?

I suppose our answer is FiannaFail! Their only plan was to keep their pockets full with money and pubs, drunken sing-a-alongs in galway hotels, the galway tent and horseracing, licking bankers balls on golfcourses, stealing from the taxpayers and sick children, etc

Ah crap. You had to say it….

(though in fairness, this thread has a good set of links debunking the megatsunami fears, which is why I dragged it back up before the Chicken Littles started new ones)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Worth highlighting that it took a Jim Gavin sized tsunami for Dublin to win the all-Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wales - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607 Scary because recent enough and cause not fully explained. Also a repeat could take out a few nuclear power plants.

Norway - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storegga_Slide

Canaries - https://www.freedomnewspaper.com/2021/09/19/gambia-faces-tsunami-risk-from-canaries-errupting-volcano/ - unlikely that the volcano erupting right now might trigger one, but there were big ones in the past

And there's always the possibility of a meteorite landing in the Atlantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,419 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have we some fella who will ring a bell when the wave is on it's way or what's the craic? I presume we have a tested emergency alert system set up on the entire mobile phone network?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I got one of them alerts when I was in New York. Someone kidnapped a child and the alert came through, I honestly thought it was a virus as the phone was acting strange in my eye at the second the alert came through with a different alert sound and was stuck on the alert till I figured out what was going on. I have honestly never received one in Ireland so it was a new experience to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,419 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I got a test one before in US the morning I arrived I thought that was that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I guess the pandemic really is over then ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement