Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could a Tsunami hit our coast, one day?

• 11-03-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

I'm not talking about today or this weekend, or basically because of what's going on now. But realistically could we get hit?
    Having looked at this pic I can't see why we're any different to the rest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

bc dub wrote: »
    I'm not talking about today or this weekend, or basically because of what's going on now. But realistically could we get hit?

It depends on how the plates are moving. I remember from Leaving cert geography that the mid atlantic plates are pulling away from each other which just results in Volcanos. They most violant seismic behaviour comes from plates that collide or slide along one another.

http://geology.com/noaa/atlantic-ocean-tsunami/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i doubt it the plate border is too far out but if the plates moved loads really quickly then maybe but its unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

One day - yes

Anytime in the next few hundred years - no

There's always the threat of a Tsunami. Does this country have any plan in place for this eventuality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yes. Anything is possible. The scale of it is another matter.

During the Lisbon earthquake and tsunami in 1755 it was said that boats in Cork harbour were lifted several feet by a high wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I,ll be in the local :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Only if everyone in the UK flushed their toilets at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

There's always the threat of a Tsunami. Does this country have any plan in place for this eventuality?
    we hardly have a plan for a bit of snow and ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This country was barely able to plan for a bit of snow over the Winter, what are the odds we've ever made a plan for a Tsunami?

Yeah, we're screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Cybertron85

Oh no! Limerick might be wiped off the map :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just looking at the photo of the plates there. I've walked in the crack in the earth caused by the separation of the plates in Iceland. Cool stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Tabnabs wrote: »

Remember seeing something about this on National Geographic. Basically Cork would be destroyed. And much of the rest of the South would be severally damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Iodine tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sergeant wrote: »
    Out of Date Iodine tablets.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

God I hope not! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Why the big hype about Tsunami's anyway ?

Yes they can be baddd muttafukkas but prior to the unusually severe one which took place in the Pacific a few years back most people hadnt a clue what a Tsunami was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Iodine tablets.

My flatmates snorted them at the time so were all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

If Mary Harney jumps in the sea ... Maybe... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

The topography of the seabed, with the mid atlantic ridge precludes a tsunami form the mid atlantic fault line ever reaching Ireland as anything other than a slightly large swell.

The Canary Island Collapse tsunami on the other hand.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The government will gather to nominate an emergency comittee and give them instructions to begin immeditiately making plans to hold a meeting. This process will most likely take several weeks so won't be able to actually do anything, but it will be able to launch a major independant review of the tsunami, and on the foot of this issue a number of key recommendations. It is expected that among these recommendations would be the creation of a so called "bad coast", which would purchase all of the most worthless useless assets from the NAMA portfolio and place them along the so called "bad coast" in the hope that another tsunami will destroy them and leave the rest of us alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Oh no! Limerick might be wiped off the map :D

So would Cork :D

Oh Shít

So would Galway :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

a tsunami south of ireland in say spain or portugal could cause major damage to the southcoast of ireland, a tsunami out in the mid atlantic would be less destructive given the high mountains/cliffs all along our western coast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I presume if there was a big quake around the Gulf of Mexico and the Eastern side of the States we could get a Tzunami very easily.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JDfan

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    Remember seeing something about this on National Geographic. Basically Cork would be destroyed. And much of the rest of the South would be severally damaged.

Cork would be destroyed oh no :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ya, take the iodine pill they gave us years ago, and hope for the best. Buying a house near a big hill might be an idea too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

sorry sargeant - you got there before me.

we could line up all the electronic voting machines along the coast to act as a barrier tho. At least they'd be good for something. How many millions again....?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

We would all run for high ground on our mountain of free cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If an Asteroid or a meteorite hits the sea there would be a massive tremor and the waves would definitely hit Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Why the big hype about Tsunami's anyway ?

Yes they can be baddd muttafukkas but prior to the unusually severe one which took place in the Pacific a few years back most people hadnt a clue what a Tsunami was.

It was the Indian Ocean but your point is valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If you Google it, Ireland has, in the past, been hit by several Tsunami's. From an event that destroyed Lisbon, to an undersea landslide off Norway, probably others. I've read there have been underwater landslides around Rockall also. Then there's that mountainside in the Canaries.

Don't worry about it though. We've no warning system so it'll be over before ya know it :eek: Typical :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

If an Asteroid or a meteorite hits the sea there would be a massive tremor and the waves would definitely hit Ireland.

yes mary harney was mentioned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

it's scary to even think about, given the pictures and vidoes from Japan, anything could happen here really and we wouldn't stand much of a chance :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Probably better than it directly hitting Ireland though!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Hope one don't hit, this place is ****ed up enough without having a tsunami hit us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

This thread would be the best form of contraceptive ever for irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Sure it would make much of a change the way the country is now lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Sure it would make much of a change the way the country is now lol.

Well apart from a large chunk of the population being dead and the rest displaced/homeless. Yeah we may be “suffering” money wise at the moment but ffs, we still have our lives and a future.
    Perspective please!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

Iodine tablets.

:D Brilliant haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

gatecrash wrote: »
    The topography of the seabed, with the mid atlantic ridge precludes a tsunami form the mid atlantic fault line ever reaching Ireland as anything other than a slightly large swell.

The Canary Island Collapse tsunami on the other hand.....

the canary island is the most likely source if a tsunami is 2 hit ireland
    its a huge mountain with massive cracks in it and they are saying its when and not if it will slide into the Atlantic ,
    as it happens it is facing the south coast of ireland
    talk of 40 meter waves resulting from this mountain slide
    and by all accounts it would be bye bye cork waterford wexford and bristol and other south coast British towns

REMEMBER KIDS THIS IS FOR REAL , Check it out on line
    its not if but when :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The answer is Yes

Also we have been hit many times in the past!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

we dont have natural disaters in Ireland
    we have ireland economic disasters

Thank God I'd rather lose money than have my family dead/injured ****
    everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Tabnabs wrote: »

According to new study that has been proven somewhat false. This is taken from Wikipedia
    The claim also was explored in a BBC docu-drama called End Day which went through several hypothetical scenarios of disastrous proportions.
    However, the Tsunami Society (Pararas-Carayannis, 2002), published a statement stating "... We would like to halt the scaremongering from these unfounded reports..." The major points raised in this report include:
    • The claim that half of Cumbre Vieja dropped 4 m during the 1949 eruption is erroneous, and contradicted by physical evidence.
    • No evidence was sought or shown that there is a fault line separating a "block" of La Palma from the other half.
    • Physical evidence shows a 4 km long line in the rock, but the models assumed a 25 km (16 mi) line, for which no physical evidence was given. Further, there is no evidence shown that the 4 km long line extends beyond the surface.
    • There has never been an Atlantic megatsunami in recorded history.
    In 2006 professor Jan Nieuwenhuis of Delft University of Technology simulated several volcanic eruptions and calculated it would take another 10,000 years for the flanks to become sufficiently high and unstable to cause a massive collapse.[

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rosshennessy

True, cant go wrong with a few iodine tablets, when things get too hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    prior to the unusually severe one which took place in the Pacific a few years back most people hadnt a clue what a Tsunami was.

yeh they did

they just referred to them as tidal waves instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

brian cowen / galway bay / diving platform

teeheehee, wipeout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

dj jarvis wrote: »
    the canary island is the most likely source if a tsunami is 2 hit ireland
    its a huge mountain with massive cracks in it and they are saying its when and not if it will slide into the Atlantic ,
    as it happens it is facing the south coast of ireland
    talk of 40 meter waves resulting from this mountain slide
    and by all accounts it would be bye bye cork waterford wexford and bristol and other south coast British towns

REMEMBER KIDS THIS IS FOR REAL , Check it out on line
    its not if but when :eek:

The presence of hundreds of granite boulders amongst the limestone rocks near Dún Cathair 25 metres above sea level on the Aran island of Inis Oirr are believed to have derived from a Tsunami. This Tsumami happened somewhere around 60-220 thousand years ago after the summit of the Las Cañadas volcano collapsed in Tenerife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Which coast? I think the east coast is pretty safe. North, west and south coast would be pretty f*cked if something happened in the Atlantic.

Oh isn't it great being in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

This is Ireland pal.

So of course not. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    This is Ireland pal.

So of course not. :P

Yep! Ireland would put plans in place for any future tsunamis likely to hit AFTER the main event. As in we'll have to suffer a tsunami first before a plan is put in place.

• Advertisement
Advertisement