Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a Tsunami hit our coast, one day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If you Google it, Ireland has, in the past, been hit by several Tsunami's. From an event that destroyed Lisbon, to an undersea landslide off Norway, probably others. I've read there have been underwater landslides around Rockall also. Then there's that mountainside in the Canaries.

Don't worry about it though. We've no warning system so it'll be over before ya know it :eek: Typical :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

If an Asteroid or a meteorite hits the sea there would be a massive tremor and the waves would definitely hit Ireland.

yes mary harney was mentioned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

it's scary to even think about, given the pictures and vidoes from Japan, anything could happen here really and we wouldn't stand much of a chance :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

If an Asteroid or a meteorite hits the sea there would be a massive tremor and the waves would definitely hit Ireland.
    Probably better than it directly hitting Ireland though!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭blockedPaT

Hope one don't hit, this place is ****ed up enough without having a tsunami hit us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

This thread would be the best form of contraceptive ever for irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Sure it would make much of a change the way the country is now lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

Sure it would make much of a change the way the country is now lol.

Well apart from a large chunk of the population being dead and the rest displaced/homeless. Yeah we may be “suffering” money wise at the moment but ffs, we still have our lives and a future.
    Perspective please!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

Sergeant wrote: »
    Iodine tablets.

:D Brilliant haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

gatecrash wrote: »
    The topography of the seabed, with the mid atlantic ridge precludes a tsunami form the mid atlantic fault line ever reaching Ireland as anything other than a slightly large swell.

The Canary Island Collapse tsunami on the other hand.....

the canary island is the most likely source if a tsunami is 2 hit ireland
    its a huge mountain with massive cracks in it and they are saying its when and not if it will slide into the Atlantic ,
    as it happens it is facing the south coast of ireland
    talk of 40 meter waves resulting from this mountain slide
    and by all accounts it would be bye bye cork waterford wexford and bristol and other south coast British towns

REMEMBER KIDS THIS IS FOR REAL , Check it out on line
    its not if but when :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

bc dub wrote: »
    I'm not talking about today or this weekend, or basically because of what's going on now. But realistically could we get hit?
    Having looked at this pic I can't see why we're any different to the rest?

The answer is Yes

Also we have been hit many times in the past!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

we dont have natural disaters in Ireland
    we have ireland economic disasters

Thank God I'd rather lose money than have my family dead/injured ****
    everything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Tabnabs wrote: »

According to new study that has been proven somewhat false. This is taken from Wikipedia
    The claim also was explored in a BBC docu-drama called End Day which went through several hypothetical scenarios of disastrous proportions.
    However, the Tsunami Society (Pararas-Carayannis, 2002), published a statement stating "... We would like to halt the scaremongering from these unfounded reports..." The major points raised in this report include:
    • The claim that half of Cumbre Vieja dropped 4 m during the 1949 eruption is erroneous, and contradicted by physical evidence.
    • No evidence was sought or shown that there is a fault line separating a "block" of La Palma from the other half.
    • Physical evidence shows a 4 km long line in the rock, but the models assumed a 25 km (16 mi) line, for which no physical evidence was given. Further, there is no evidence shown that the 4 km long line extends beyond the surface.
    • There has never been an Atlantic megatsunami in recorded history.
    In 2006 professor Jan Nieuwenhuis of Delft University of Technology simulated several volcanic eruptions and calculated it would take another 10,000 years for the flanks to become sufficiently high and unstable to cause a massive collapse.[

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rosshennessy

True, cant go wrong with a few iodine tablets, when things get too hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    prior to the unusually severe one which took place in the Pacific a few years back most people hadnt a clue what a Tsunami was.

yeh they did

they just referred to them as tidal waves instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

brian cowen / galway bay / diving platform

teeheehee, wipeout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

dj jarvis wrote: »
    its a huge mountain with massive cracks in it and they are saying its when and not if it will slide into the Atlantic ,
    and by all accounts it would be bye bye cork waterford wexford and bristol and other south coast British towns

The presence of hundreds of granite boulders amongst the limestone rocks near Dún Cathair 25 metres above sea level on the Aran island of Inis Oirr are believed to have derived from a Tsunami. This Tsumami happened somewhere around 60-220 thousand years ago after the summit of the Las Cañadas volcano collapsed in Tenerife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Which coast? I think the east coast is pretty safe. North, west and south coast would be pretty f*cked if something happened in the Atlantic.

Oh isn't it great being in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

There's always the threat of a Tsunami. Does this country have any plan in place for this eventuality?

This is Ireland pal.

So of course not. :P

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    This is Ireland pal.

So of course not. :P

Yep! Ireland would put plans in place for any future tsunamis likely to hit AFTER the main event. As in we'll have to suffer a tsunami first before a plan is put in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    Remember seeing something about this on National Geographic. Basically Cork would be destroyed. And much of the rest of the South would be severally damaged.
    I think he means would anything bad happen.

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I think he means would anything bad happen.

I know this is AH, but there is no excuse for that remark - unless if bertie ahern, brian cowen and seanie fitzpatrick were based in cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

There's always the threat of a Tsunami. Does this country have any plan in place for this eventuality?

Are you kidding?
    Look back a year or two to see how well planned we are for just lower, less lethal land floods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Should have built a Bertie Barrier whilst we had the money.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

radical - ill be waxing my surfboard today,its all about the waves dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Which coast? I think the east coast is pretty safe. North, west and south coast would be pretty f*cked if something happened in the Atlantic.

Oh isn't it great being in Dublin.

No wonder everyone outside Dublin hates us.

We'll be the only survivors post-tsunami.

Might win the All-Ireland. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭freyners

that has been debunked mate, i cant remember the video that showed it but but heres a link that does the job anyways

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storegga_Slide
    The three Storegga Slides are considered to be amongst the largest known landslides. They occurred under water, at the edge of Norway's continental shelf (Storegga is Norwegian for the "Great Edge"), in the Norwegian Sea, 100 km north-west of the Møre coast, causing a very large tsunami in the North Atlantic Ocean. This collapse involved an estimated 290 km length of coastal shelf, with a total volume of 3,500 km3 of debris.[1] Based on carbon dating of plant material recovered from sediment deposited by the tsunami, the latest incident occurred around 6100 BC.[2] In Scotland, traces of the subsequent tsunami have been recorded, with deposited sediment being discovered in Montrose Basin, the Firth of Forth, up to 80 km inland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Bergen_Island
    map of north sea around that time - things have changed slightly
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7e/Doggerland.svg/300px-Doggerland.svg.png

Altantic ocean tsunami
    http://geology.com/noaa/atlantic-ocean-tsunami/

:(

We need to lobby our government to put a plan in place for a tsunami. I know a tsunami here would be rare but it would be very possible all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Only chance is the Canary Islands volcano and I'd say its not likely to happen in our lifetime. But incase it does, I'll be up the Killarney Mountains if happens so all's gravy baby.

Advertisement