Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Jinxi wrote: »
    Our non-bump is called Alex. We decided it ages ago. If its a girl we might shorten it to Lexie, but I love the name Alex for a girl, or a boy.

Your non-bump meaning you're not pregnant ??

I know of three Alex's and they are all boys, but there again I know friends who named their little girl Jaimie, and most interestingly of all, I heard a chap being interviewed on RTE the other day, and his first name was Tracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Non-bump as in only a few weeks pregnant.
    Tracey fro a boy. I have heard of it before but I bet growing up he had one hard childhood. IMHO that borders on abuse. I read somewhere in NZ the government stepped in to stop parents naming their kids weird names. like Bus Stop 62:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Tallulah Does The Hula From Hawaii!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Jinxi wrote: »
    I read somewhere in NZ the government stepped in to stop parents naming their kids weird names. like Bus Stop 62:rolleyes:

I think Sweden have a similar rule in that you have to name your child a traditional Swedish name, (or Islandic, Norwegian or wherever the rule is, I forget!).

ElleEm wrote: »
    I think Sweden have a similar rule in that you have to name your child a traditional Swedish name, (or Islandic, Norwegian or wherever the rule is, I forget!).

Apparently Portugal have the same rule...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

January wrote: »
    Apparently Portugal have the same rule...

Ronaldo it is then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'm due in April, it'll be a surprise -- Finn for a boy, still arguing over a girl's name. I suggested Mia, but OH said it sounds like a strangled cat with a hiccup in between. Ideally I want something short and simple. He then suggested Ava, but I can't grasp to it just yet, perhaps the overpopularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Virgo2011

I'm finding it very hard to pick a boy name.

My shortlist of shortlisted names are ...

Darragh
    Liam
    Jamie
    Luke
    Jacob

Its such a hard choice, this is the name i will have to listen to day in day out haha

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

The wife wants to call our girl Lola, it's a nice name, but media references are less than encouraging. Drag queen,and showgirl. There's also a movie called The Loved Ones where the character Lola comes across quiet badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

MadPatrick wrote: »
    The wife wants to call our girl Lola, it's a nice name, but media references are less than encouraging. Drag queen,and showgirl. There's also a movie called The Loved Ones where the character Lola comes across quiet badly.

It's also not far off Lolita

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I don't know if the generation of your daughter would remember the song Lola and the tranny conotations.
    But I would personally not take the chance. I know 3 lolas...a dog and 2 horses...that kinda says alot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Yeah, my cat is called Lola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I know a lady called Lola. Her real name is Eloise. You could pick a name like Louise or Charlotte and make Lola a nickname from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lollypop23

I love the name Lola, I think it's very girly. Very early days for me but cannot be too early to start discussing names. My favourites are:

Boy:
    Jack
    Sean
    Alex
    Tadhg
    Fionn
    Odhran

Girl:
    Ella
    Erin (although OH keeps saying Baby Hotcup)
    Lucy, maybe Lucie - kind of different
    Sophie
    Carley

OH insists on calling a boy Clinton and a girl 'Mary' because he's not bothered to think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Clinton! Really? All I think of is Stacey and Clinton from What not to Wear (yes yes, nearly a year on maternity leave). Or ole Bill.

I really like your names, we have similar taste!

I know a Clinton... he's weird... drinks Linden Village cider from the bottle and wears two mobile phones on lanyards around his neck... he has a tree house apparently... he's the same age as me...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RightlyRandom

For me i love the names Caitlinn along with Ava and Abigail/Abi. I know a girl named Claire Ellen always found it to be a lovely name. Friend has a baby named Brooke although she's stuck for a second name to suit, always throwing suggestions her way but nothing seems to fit.

For a boy i love Dylan or Conor am also a big fan of Craig though. Still a long time before i'll be having kids, so until then i guess i have plenty of time to choose otherwise. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Thinking of Rachel, Amy, Ruth, or even June? for our newborn, due the end of June :)

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I love my traditonal names, like sophie, and peter etc, tho there is a lady that comes into work called Rosa and im starting to love that name, tho maybe its because shes such a lovely lady that I think of Rosa's as lovely, polite people:D

Violet is growing on me too, tho have always said my first son is going to be either Peter or have Peter as his second name after my grandad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

lollypop23 wrote: »
    I love the name Lola, I think it's very girly. Very early days for me but cannot be too early to start discussing names. My favourites are:

Boy:
    Jack
    Sean
    Alex
    Tadhg
    Fionn
    Odhran

Girl:
    Ella
    Erin (although OH keeps saying Baby Hotcup)
    Lucy, maybe Lucie - kind of different
    Sophie
    Carley

OH insists on calling a boy Clinton and a girl 'Mary' because he's not bothered to think.

Could be worse my OH keeps saying if we ever have kids and have a boy he wants to call him brian....OH's surname is Ryan:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I keep forgetting the names I like, except for Saoirse! I've always adored the name, and thankfully daddy-to-be likes it too! :D

I really like Emma and Katie as well. And Rebecca, but one of my doggies is called Becky. :rolleyes: (I'd be tempted to go for Emma with Rebecca as a second name but it's the exact name of a girl I work with!)

I love Charlie for a boy, but my OH is veto-ing it :( Then again, I'm veto-ing his Malachy, so fair is fair I suppose!

The only other boy name I can remember I like is Shane!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thinking of Rachel, Amy, Ruth, or even June? for our newborn, due the end of June :)

Any suggestions?

June is such a lovely name. I ave a wonderful Aunt June and everytime I hear the name I smile. So pretty a name. Love Love Love it.

liliq wrote: »
    I keep forgetting the names I like, except for Saoirse! I've always adored the name, and thankfully daddy-to-be likes it too! :D

I really like Emma and Katie as well. And Rebecca, but one of my doggies is called Becky. :rolleyes: (I'd be tempted to go for Emma with Rebecca as a second name but it's the exact name of a girl I work with!)

I love Charlie for a boy, but my OH is veto-ing it :( Then again, I'm veto-ing his Malachy, so fair is fair I suppose!

The only other boy name I can remember I like is Shane!

Saoirse is a wonderful name :p

Saoirse is a wonderful name :p

Hehe... never would have thought you would have though that! :p
    It's my favourite name, definitely!

Hehe... never would have thought you would have though that! :p
    It's my favourite name, definitely!

Haha, it's my daughters name and I have an Addison too :)

LordSutch wrote: »

Any suggestions?

I do like Rachel and Amy!
    Wouldn't be a 100% about a June in June, but that's just me!

Haha, it's my daughters name and I have an Addison too :)

I've noticed from previous posts :)
    Hehe... I may end up stealing one of your daughters names! Addison is a fab name as well!
    *adds to list!* ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just found out yesterday that me and my fiance are expecting a baby. we are both over the moon. we have decided that we are going name the baby fintan if born a boy and aleisha if born a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I've noticed from previous posts :)
    Hehe... I may end up stealing one of your daughters names! Addison is a fab name as well!
    *adds to list!* ;)

Haha January robbed it from me :P We can have a Hows your Saoirse thread on boards soon. :D

Saoirse is a fabulous name though! I love it so much.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just found out yesterday that me and my fiance are expecting a baby. we are both over the moon. we have decided that we are going name the baby fintan if born a boy and aleisha if born a girl

congrats AOF, we need to meet up soon :)

Advertisement