Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer kills owl during football match

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

He didn't kill him

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

He didn't kill him

An owl that was viciously kicked by professional soccer player Luis Moreno during a Colombian first division game died early Tuesday as a result of the brutal attack that has outraged animal rights activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

That's a shame!

Last I read it had it's wing in a sling, and was recovering well.

Any more news on what will happen to Luis Moreno?

Basq wrote: »
    That's a shame!

Last I read it had it's wing in a sling, and was recovering well.

Any more news on what will happen to Luis Moreno?

Doubt the player will get punished.

I hope that owl was a pet of some drug cartels boss :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

What a prick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Just be thankful this wasn't on RTE: they would have replayed the player kicking the owl over and over - similar to when Frank Rijkaard spat on Rudi Voeller in the last 16 of Italia '90!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

tiger55 wrote: »
    An owl that was viciously kicked by professional soccer player Luis Moreno during a Colombian first division game died early Tuesday as a result of the brutal attack that has outraged animal rights activists.
    Ah fair enough, I heard it was recovering

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Absolutly low, that scum better not have kids. people who enjoy inflicting suffering on animals are more likely to inflict suffering on those weaker than them

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

No respect for animals, obviously doesn't give a hoot...

**gets coat**

Doubt the player will get punished.
    Turns out he got suspended for two games, and a fine of $560.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/wires/03/02/2020.ap.soc.colombia.owl.dies.1st.ld.writethru.0217/

Not nearly harsh enough, but it's something - the principle that this sort of behaviour should not be tolerated.

• Advertisement

Been reported that the owl was the mascot of the other team, that player was lucky to get out of there alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Been reported that the owl was the mascot of the other team, that player was lucky to get out of there alive.

I was wondering where the owl would randomly appear from.
    What a ****, should have been punished more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Apparently he has received threats. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

well hopefully more death threats to follow not that I want them followed through but maybe the scum involved will cop on and get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Jaysus who cares its only an owl. He hardly deserves to get death threats for kicking a bird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

wish i didn't watch that :(

Jaysus who cares its only an owl. He hardly deserves to get death threats for kicking a bird.
    And their lives are worthless, are they? Cop on! :rolleyes:

If Moreno treats animals like that, he deserves punishment. Death threats are maybe a step too far, but this sort of thing should not go unpunished!

numerous studies have been done indicating that people with an inclination towards animal abuse have tendencies towards child and spousal abuse. Putting the phrase "its just a" in front of the subject of the violence makes it any more acceptable, in the past "its only a" has been used to justify everything and anything that has been seen as inferior and fair game for violence. The more enlightened amongst us recognise that the will it takes to inflict pain on an animal is interchangeable with the will required to inflict pain on any living thing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

He shouldnt have done it but I think it was a spur of the moment thing that he probally regretted straight away when he realised what he had done. I doubt he meant to kill it and it was just to put it off the pitch so the match could continue, I'd like to hear what he had to say about it. The death threat stuff is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

FOWL!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

steddyeddy wrote: »
    numerous studies have been done indicating that people with an inclination towards animal abuse have tendencies towards child and spousal abuse. Putting the phrase "its just a" in front of the subject of the violence makes it any more acceptable, in the past "its only a" has been used to justify everything and anything that has been seen as inferior and fair game for violence. The more enlightened amongst us recognise that the will it takes to inflict pain on an animal is interchangeable with the will required to inflict pain on any living thing!

For all we know this is a once off incident and when playing football, you get frustrated, should he have kicked the owl? No but he probably didn't mean to kill it. And despite your holier than thou attitude, you're the one who is encouraging him to get death threats, thats hardly the sign of an 'enlightened' empathetic person is it?

Bosco boy wrote: »
    He shouldnt have done it but I think it was a spur of the moment thing that he probally regretted straight away when he realised what he had done. I doubt he meant to kill it and it was just to put it off the pitch so the match could continue, I'd like to hear what he had to say about it. The death threat stuff is pathetic.

In fairness kicking a downed animal isnt a reaction of a stable human being

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

In all fairness I'd say he has grounds for temporary insanity given the sheer what-the-****-ness of the situation.

I never thought I'd say this, but if ever there were a scenario I'd end up kicking an owl, it'd be if it intercepted my pass in a football match.

For all we know this is a once off incident and when playing football, you get frustrated, should he have kicked the owl? No but he probably didn't mean to kill it. And despite your holier than thou attitude, you're the one who is encouraging him to get death threats, thats hardly the sign of an 'enlightened' empathetic person is it?

I couldnt care wheter he gets death threats as I said before I wouldnt want them followed through. Wheter or not he meant to kill it is irelevent. He saw a injured creature and his first reaction was to kick it. Truely a depraved man.

In fairness kicking a downed animal isnt a reaction of a stable human being
    In fairness having an owl jump in as twelfth man for the opposition is not a situation you'd ever expect to encounter in your time on earth.

It's not like stuffed it in a cage and plucked its feather out with pliers.

Bosco boy wrote: »

They wont be followed through theres some extremists in animal welfare but saying that If it stops him doing it again good. Frustration during a game is no grounds to kick an injured animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,338 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i thought you scored goals in football not birdies

Pace2008 wrote: »
    In fairness having an owl jump in as twelfth man for the opposition is not a situation you'd ever expect to encounter in your time on earth.

It's not like stuffed it in a cage and plucked its feather out with pliers.

True its not to be expected in any situation but in that situation my instincts dont guide me to kick it, if they did id seek help.

• Advertisement

True its not to be expected in any situation but in that situation my instincts dont guide me to kick it, if they did id seek help.
    I don't think I'd have done it myself but to go on and imply he might have a predisposition towards violence against children is a bit obscene. This isn't some degenerate who boots his dog when his horses don't come in.

Advertisement